Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you eat?

I want to start eating healthy but I don't know where to start. Not really trying to lose weight, just want to cut out the junk. What is a good book to read.(I don't want to go vegan or anything extreme.)

by Anonymousreply 6405/22/2013

I'm completely clueless too. Some say food like bacon is bad, then there's some one hundred year old lady saying bacon is her key to health.

by Anonymousreply 105/21/2013

I wouldn't start with a book, OP. Food magazines are a good start. Lots of magazines on healthy eating and living. They have recipes and good nutritional advice. Eating Well is one of the magazines I read. Plenty of other. Just browse at the magazine stand.

by Anonymousreply 205/21/2013

Need I say it?

by Anonymousreply 305/21/2013

As long as you are not after washboard abs, you can eat almost anything in moderation.

I try to eat as much Chicken, Fish, Meat as I can including eggs a couple of times a week. High protein.

Cut down on the carbs like pasta, bread and rice. Eat half as much on your plate and you can still have them.

Snack on fruits if you need a sugar hit, but dont do juice they have more sugar then a soda.

Drive past anything with a fast food sign, its not hard after a while.

Dont stock bad food you crave like Ice Cream in the house. You can still have it, but forcing yourself to leave the house cuts down on amount over time.

by Anonymousreply 405/21/2013

Really, anything that is not in a frozen package or can is a great start. Shop the outer perimeter of the supermarket where most of the fresh food is including meat.

by Anonymousreply 505/21/2013

One more question for you guys. Do you really feel/look better or differently after you change your diet? Or maybe it doesn't show in a short term, but it will be payback time after you are 40/50?

by Anonymousreply 605/21/2013

If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

I am not a health nut by any standards, but once I stopped eating fast food I really did feel a little better. Kind of like when you have a good night sleep or get over a cold. Don't feel weighted down and sluggish. And, intellectually you feel good that you did something for yourself as well.

It actually makes me kind of sick now when every once and a while I break that patter and hit one of my old favorites. Sick from the grease, not sick from psychological shit.

by Anonymousreply 805/21/2013

There are plenty of paleo ebooks in the Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

Never go hungry. Ever. But eat foods that are low in sugar and carbs and don't have a lot of fat in them.

Low sugar oatmeal for breakfast. Every day. With black coffee or with non-fat sugar free dairy creamer. Or unsweetened ice tea. Breakfast is key. Fill yourself up first thing in the morning,

Low-fat or non-fat yoghurt is a great snack, midmorning.

Chicken, turkey, and turkey burgers are your very best friends. And do as much stuff as you can in a George Forman grill, it squeezes out the fat. No bread. No buns, except in bed.

Frozen mixed veggies, frozen broccoli, and frozen cauliflower work for me, so long as they're not drowned in butter sauce. And so do fresh salads, but watch the dressing. Balsamic works for me, but look at the label of whatever dressing you use. Keep it low fat and log sugar.

If you're going to "be bad," it's better to eat the bad stuff mid-day, so you can burn it off. Just limit what you eat. A little piece of chocolate or a small piece of fresh fruit won't hurt, once you start losing weight.

Stay the hell away from carbs and sugar and fat and you'll be fine. I've lost 30 pounds in a year on this "diet" and I'm never hungry. People tell me I look great. Hawt even.

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

What's good to drink besides water?

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

Sierra Mist

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

OP, as a general rule, if you want to eat healthy avoid processed foods and fast foods. So all those frozen, prepared meals in the supermarket freezer are no good. Lunchmeats which contain nitrites and/or nitrates are bad.

You can get certain kinds of ham or turkey lunchmeat without them. I also buy Frank's hotdogs, which are nitrite and nitrate free and contain no gluten fillers. Coleman's bacon, at Costco's is nitrite and nitrate free. Great stuff.

Grass fed beef, wild caught fish, and free range chickens and beans, especially lentils. I'd also go heavy on the veggies. There are certain veggies, root veggies like potatoes and carrots, you should buy organic. Buy organic strawberries.

Eat more nuts. Almonds, Walnuts & pecans. Use olive oil, and get organic, unsalted butter. Margarines have all kinds of chemicals in them that are bad. I sometimes use canola or peanut oil, too depending on what I'm making.

Go with brown rice instead of white, and whole grain breads, not from the supermarket. Learn to use spices and start cooking more interesting dishes.

I drink water, green tea, good coffee, and when I want something cold I usually go for iced tea. I only use fresh squeezed OJ or grapefruit juice. Apple cider in season, and sometimes I have flavored sparkling water. I don't drink soda. Ever.

If you want an incentive to eat healthier and start looking at the foods you are buying watch this documentary, "Food, Inc."

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

OP, just eat more veggies, fruits and healthy crap.

Eat less sugar, fat and starch.

Move a little more - take a walk or something.

It isn't rocket science. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

Eat more possum!

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

I know some people live off granola and nuts for breakfast but I cant do that.

I usually poach 1 egg in water, use half an English muffin, with a slice of cheese no butter.

That sounds high cal but its under 300. Not only that, but I can get through the day with lighter stuff without feeling deprived.

Eggs are not bad, they have lots of protein especially the yolks which some people are afraid of. Half an English muffin is hardy any crabs but enough that you will burn throughout the day, and cheese is dairy.

Milk by the way is now found to lower your risk of Diabetes. And most of that comes from the fat so low fat yogurt or milk will not work.

Just use low portions and moderation. Not saying make fried eggs and bacon everyday.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

I've been on the vegan diet to see how it impacts my cholesterol. I dropped 32 points from my LDL after 4 months. I'm aiming for a year on it and I will have my cholesterol tested again.

I haven't eaten red meat or poultry since 1976, so I didn't think cutting out salmon and dairy would have much of an impact.

Frankly, I think fresh fruits and veggies and animals that are not raised by the industrial farms is probably the best diet. Eat as little processed food as possible.

And, exercise. Find something you enjoy and do it often. My goal is an hour (minimum) of exercise a day.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

White ass is usually filling.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

OP, just be careful of what you read in terms of its date the information comes from. A lot of things have changed. And the old die hards who started their health kick a decade of go are adamant the are right and refuse to accept new science.

For Example:

Butter vs Margarine = butter is better for you

Eggs = Whole eggs are better then just whites

Milk = contains a protein you need from the fat

Chicken = still good, no skin

Beef = good complete protein,Tofu and subs are missing key parts.

White Flour = OK to eat in small amounts

Diet Soda = dose not make you gain weight

MSG = Made from seaweed, it is just basically a salt that seems to enhance flavor. Never been proven in double blind studies to be bad for you.

Fruit Juice = bad, contains a lot of sugar

Fish = Bad if more then once a week, contains high levels of mercury.

Gluten = Not bad unless you have Ciliac Disease.

Salt = Good, needed for electrolytes or you will die. Only bad if you have hypertension.

White Sugar = still not good.

Coffee = many benefits, including brain power

Dark Chocolate vs Carob = chocolate is the clear winner, good for you the more pure it is.

Nutra Sweet = safe, 30 years on the market and no proven bad side effects. US FDA says it safe to consume about 20 cans of diet soda a day before it would begin to be a risk.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

OP, you become "healthy" by eating "healthfully."

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

[quote]Some say food like bacon is bad

Doctors. Not "some", doctors and nutritionists and scientists. "Bacon is bad for you" isn't some folksy old wives tale, it's backed up by decades of scientific studies. It's also commonly known to be high in fat, sodium and preservatives. Do you mistake those three things for health food?

[quote]then there's some one hundred year old lady saying bacon is her key to health.

Yes, and I've heard of smokers who lived to 90. Does that mean smoking is ok? Are we taking health advice from medically-untrained 100 year-olds now? Are you aware of the concept of "anecdotal evidence"? Google it, and read up on how statistics work, too. Another research project: not all people are alike. Now do your homework, you're a bit behind the rest of the class.

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

OP and clueless r1, as others have said don't eat processed, packaged or junk food. Eat food that is as near as possible to its natural state when you buy it, be it fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, dairy, pulses and cereals. Try learning to cook and prepare food yourself at home. Avoid eating stuff with lots of preservatives, additives, etc. If you're peckish have an apple and not some processed "snack". That doesn't mean that every now and then you can't have something that's supposedly not "good" for you, like bacon, but just don't have it every day of the week. It's about eating a balanced diet.

Take a look at what your average weakly diet is now, check out what ingredients are in the processed food you're eating, the amounts of sugar, salt and fructose that have been added. You'd be surprised, maybe even horrified. If you cut the shit out and just bought healthy stuff then you'll also notice your weekly shopping bill going down quite a bit. (This is the case in Europe, I don't know about the US, I've heard strange things about the situation over there.)

Think of the foods you enjoy, the healthy foods I mean. Which vegetables, fruits, breads, pulses, rice, meat dishes (2-3 times a week), do you enjoy? What healthy dishes do you enjoy. Try building up a diet based around them. As r8 said, if you've been eating junk food for a long time but then wean yourself off it and start eating healthily, you can feel sick if you have the occasional junk meal. You can literally feel the grease and gunk going down your gullet and feel heavy and sluggish.

Listen to what Michelle Obama is saying!

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

P.S. Your First Lady is doing some good stuff - although I know she's even been attacked for this!

Some good tips here, especially the recipes and the vegetable tips.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

OP read labels, too. You'd be surprised at the amount of sugar that's contained in cereal or these yogurt drinks parents give their kids. You'd be surprised as I was, when I bought a lovely pound cake from the supermarket bakery to have with fresh strawberries, that the pound cake was extremely, extremely high in cholesterol!

As I understand it, OP doesn't want dieting advice to lose weight, just advice on how to eat healthier. Well, read labels. Sugar, high fructose corn syrup, nitrites, nitrates, and things high in sodium, or high carb counts are bad. Things with preservatives and chemicals are bad. And industrial farms, genetically modified foods, are bad.

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

I agree with most of what R10 told you. But I would never use bottled salad dressing.

Instead, when you have all the greens and vegetables you're going to put in your salad, sprinkle it with enough EVOO to just coat all the leaves, plus salt and fresh ground pepper, then toss until the leaves are coated with the EVOO. Then add vinegar or lemon, and continue to toss.

If you want to add some cheese or nuts or flax seed, now is the time. I like to grate some Parmigiano-Reggiano on top of salads.

I have been dressing salads this way for years. I've never owned a bottle of salad dressing.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

Before you subtract, add. Add a salad to the beginning of every meal.

Rationale: by frontloading a salad, you obtain your vegetable serving requirements. By eating the healthy shit first, you fill up faster. After finishing off your protein, you won't have as much room for carbs.

You buy and prepare the raw ingredients every three days, wash and spin them dry, and then make a huge salad.

Include snow peas, orange peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, broccoli, and romaine lettuce.

As far as dressing, I enjoy wasting money on refrigerated blue cheese, but there are many healthier and cheaper options available.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

I usually cook twice a week and get three meals, or variations of it, each time I cook. I usually keep it for dinner, but sometimes I bring it to work for lunch. I always bring my lunch - sometimes just an apple and a piece of cheese, or yogurt, occasionally a sandwich. I used to buy my lunch in the office cafeteria. When I stopped, my severe gastric distress stopped. I never made the connection - I'd usually just get a salad or maybe a sandwich, nothing too rich or greasy. Inevitably, every day around 3:00 I'd get the shits. I am convinced they put some sort of preservative in the food that didn't agree with me because since I started bringing my own lunch I am fine.

I make a big salad at least twice a week and store in in a salad keeper thing so it stays fresh. I also prefer homemade dressing but to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

OP, some good advice and not so good advice on this thread. I will not get into it.

Rather, buy/read Marion Nestle's "What to Eat" hands down the best book ever published anywhere, anytime on how to eat well and for health. It is easy to read, even fun, and scientifically accurate. It also covers some of the public health issues surrounding diet nad health in the US.

I am a colleague of hers at a medical school in NYC, where she is professor at NYU. I know her quite well, and she is right on the money. Not trying to sell her book- you can probably get the soft cover edition on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

DON'T GET COMPLICATED!!!! These rules and regulations are silly.

Marc Bittman suggests being "flexitarian", eating mainly vegan during the day, when temptation and ease make it more likely that you will eat crap food, and then eat reasonably at night. I do it and it's a very nutritious and healthful diet.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

A Nestle telling me what to eat?

Isn't that like a Cheney teaching me how to fight terrorism or a Palin telling me to abstain from sex?

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

Smelly cat, smelly cat....WHAT are they FEEDING YOU?

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

Eat more fiber, whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies, lean meats, fish, low fat dairy.

Drink more water.

Naturally, you will consume less junk. Like some others have said, not that complicated.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

Breakfast is usually Irish (steel-cut) oatmeal or another cooked whole grain with fruit, nuts, chia and hemp seeds and either almond or coconut milk.

I eat a lot of big salads for lunch. They not only contain a variety of vegetables, I also include fruit, nuts and broiled chicken so they make a whole meal. I make my own dressings; my favorites are fruit-flavored vinaigrettes. I don't eat dairy so I use meat instead of cheese.

Dinner is usually some sort of broiled or sauteed meat with steamed veggies.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

Food.

Really only food...

well, and the occasional load.

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Anybody else laughing at r21 and the over the top venom?

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

R30, Marion Nestle has nothing to do with "Nestle" the food company. She pronounces her name "Ness'l" phonetically.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

[quote]Take a look at what your average weakly diet is

And then try to strengthen it.

R22: what do you mean by "pulses"?

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

It's not just you, R35. She reminds me a little of that crazy sorority cunt-punter.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

[quote]what do you mean by "pulses"?

look it up

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

I agree with R28. R30 would do well to read some of Marion Nestle's writing. She's a very intelligent and level-headed food scientist who doesn't go in for food fads.

I've also learned a lot from Michael Pollan, especially about the bad science that brought about the fat and cholesterol freakout.

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

Everyone needs to lose weight? Some people want to gain weight in a healthy manner. What are some tips for that?

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

Don't be such a cunt, R39.

R37, pulses are legumes - dry beans like pinto beans, kidney beans and navy beans; dry peas; lentils; and others.

by Anonymousreply 4205/21/2013

I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years and love it. Just stay away from the all the carbs (no bread or pasta) and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

There are wonderful meat alternates out there too.

Drink plenty of water and unsweetened coffee/tea.

If you're not in a hurry, try getting off the subway a stop early and walking the rest of the way (or walk the whole way if you have time).

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

Bananas, R41 - lots of bananas.

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

[quote]no bread or pasta

This kind of thinking cracks me the fuck up. People have been eating bread and pasta for hundreds of years. When I meet someone and they talk about not eating carbs, I run the other direction. Anyone who is that obnoxious about their eating is usually a self absorbed pain in the ass.

I eat bread, butter, pasta, meat, potatoes, etc.. I am active, fit and healthy.

I went to Italy once with a friend who was one of those "no carbs" types - I said to him "Look around - these people eat cheese, pasta, bread, drink wine, etc.. They look great!" After a day or so actually thinking about this and talking to locals, he realized he was being an idiot. Those sexy Italians aren't carb free or vegan.

It's all about moderation..

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

Read the OP, people. He doesn't want to lose weight, he wants to eat healthy. Cutting out bread and pasta is fine for losing weight but they certainly aren't unhealthy food. White flour in bread and pasta can cause your blood sugar to spike but if you combine it with protein and you're not diabetic, it's fine.

Stop eating processed foods. Avoid GMO foods when possible (someone told me there's an app for your phone to scan food at the grocery store to see if it comes from a Monsanto product). Limit your sugar, sodium and fat consumption. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, at least five servings a day. Vegetables should cover half your plate at dinner.

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

What R45 said.

[quote]Cutting out bread and pasta is fine for losing weight

And CRAZY as it sounds, you can still eat bread and pasta and LOSE weight! Are you people really this stupid?

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

R45 and 47 are right. You can eat bread and pasta and lose weight, of course. It's Americans who turn Italian food into crap by loading it with tons of cheese and heavy sauces, when in reality true Italian food is some of the healthiest in the world.

My dinner tonight will be baked halibut with olive oil, garlic, onion and capers (I would add tomatoes but they're not in season yet), with swiss chard and potatoes on the side (boiled together, then sauteed in a pan with more olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper to taste). I'll have a glass of wine with it and a piece of bread.

Healthy meal that--GASP--contains white carbohydrates, but also lots of healthy fats from the fish and olive oil. I eat good bread from a bakery, not some crap that sits around the supermarket. I freeze whatever I don't eat, wrap it in foil and freeze, when you're ready to eat put it straight in the oven from the freezer, wrapped in foil.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2013

Screw you, stupid R47. That was one dumb poster, not "you people."

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

Find a book by nutritionist ANITA BEAN.

All you need to know is in there.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2013

[quote]Half an English muffin is hardy any crabs

I got crabs from an English muffin once. Her cooter was REALLY nasty.

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

I second the steel-cut oats. I make it once a week: 2 cups water, 2 cups skim milk, 1 cup of oats. Takes a while to cook, but then I have four portions to eat throught the week (reheat in the microwave; add a little more milk to loosen it up.) I usually add some dried fruits, a packet of Splenda, and some cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

If you are craving bread have some oatmeal instead. If you absolutely must give in to your urge make sure you eat the bread before noon so you have plenty of time to burn it off.

Make a strict policy to never cheat more than once a week on bread.

I think pasta should always be avoided morning, noon or night.

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013

I find if you drink enough vodka, you pass out and dispense with eating. That'll keep a girlish figure!

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

R53, why deprive yourself? As long as you're not consuming too many calories, you'll lose weight. Cutting out carbs isn't the healthiest diet. Moderate amounts of everything and choose quality over quantity.

by Anonymousreply 5505/21/2013

Not really, R45. Different countries have different standards and requirements for how their food is produced. Here in the USA, we have over processed and chemicalized foods so that the breads and pastas we eat are not the same as the ones our grandparents ate. You need to educate yourself. Michael Pollan has a book coming out that's wonderfully informative about "substances that resemble food."

Food Rules and In Defense of Food are both good reads. So's that documentary I mentioned earlier, "Food, Inc."

by Anonymousreply 5605/21/2013

Instead of getting rid of carbs completely, replace your usual bread/pasta with less processed options if you can afford it.

That's really the key to eating healthy. Compare labels and always choose the less processed option. Try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can. Start small -- add a salad to one meal -- and integrate more veggies in over time.

by Anonymousreply 5705/21/2013

Thanks, R42. I had never heard the term "pulses" before (outside of an ER, where everyone is too busy to worry about legumes).

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2013

I lost weight by getting fucked REALLY frequently.

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2013

[quote]just want to cut out the junk. What is a good book to read.

You don't need a book. Just get a GPS device for your shopping cart in the grocery store that lets you avoid the bakery section, the cookie aisle, the soda aisle, and the ice cream freezer.

by Anonymousreply 6005/22/2013

R56, "food Inc" is terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 6105/22/2013

"What do you eat?"

Apparantly quite a number of dataloungers eat pussy according to another thread...

by Anonymousreply 6205/22/2013

R58, it's the British term, exclusive only to British English, I now realise...

by Anonymousreply 6305/22/2013

Food, cock, cum and crow. In that order.

by Anonymousreply 6405/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.