Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cleopatra screening on 5/22/13

I want to see this restored 50th anniversary presentaton on the big screen. I've only seen clips and seeing it on tv seems to defeat the purpose of the filmmakers.

Anyone else going or want to go? It's just over four hours long.

by Anonymousreply 11808/16/2013

Wait, where?

by Anonymousreply 105/21/2013

Isn't it a dreadful movie despite its enormous spectacle?

by Anonymousreply 205/21/2013

Yes, R2. It's very bad.

by Anonymousreply 305/21/2013

It's at 200 locations tomorrow but it's hard to find out where. Regal has it but so do other chains.

by Anonymousreply 405/21/2013

The Cinemark Theater chain is showing it on Sat and Sunday. Matinee and Evening on Sat. and one matinee on Sunday. Four hours plus 15-20 minute intermission was the original running time. The movie lost an hour when it went into general release following the road show run. This showing is in advance of the blu ray release so I assume it's the original road show full length version. I am tempted to see it as this is the only chance to recapture some of the long gone brilliance that was 70MM Todd AO photography Of course, now it has been remastered for digital but the images will remain sharp which was the calling card for all 70MM formats in the 50's and 60's. Hope they show this on one of their bigger screens.

by Anonymousreply 505/21/2013

R5 here. I was wrong. The two showings Cinemark Theatres are tomorrow 5/22/13 just as OP mentioned... there is one more screening Sunday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 605/21/2013

Does the Elizabeth Taylor estate still make profits from the Todd-AO process?

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

I wonder about that too R7

by Anonymousreply 805/21/2013

I want to see this for myself.

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

You'll see ALL the show in Todd-AO!

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

This is the best part of the movie, reenacted in what used to be called a "Florida" room.

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

I'm sure it looks amazing, but it's one of those films that's an absolute CHORE to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

Movie is worth seeing...on a large screen. Beautiful images, thousands of extras, thousands of costumes, wigs and headresses just for Taylor alone! And that eye makeup!! A truly overblown mess but definitely a curisosity piece from the 60's. In the 60's the hype surrounding this movie and the Taylor /Burton affair was all you read about. Condemned by the Pope for fucking out of wedlock! This does have a great musical score by Alex North. The two hour documentary (DVD and blu ray) on how the production nearly bankrupted 20th Century Fox is worth seeing too. The move got scathing reviews and was cut from four to just under three hours for the general release following the hard ticket big city 70MM engagements. But CLEOPATRA eventually recouped although the home studio 20th Century Fox never fully recovered. THE SOUND OF MUSIC managed to bring the studio back from the brink of disaster.

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

I saw it at the Egyptian Theatre in 2010. A couple of the surviving cast members were there including a very doddering Jason Robards. Very long but thoroughly enjoyed it. There was an intermission. I walked away impressed at how Elizabeth Taylor's outfit changed in every friggin' scene.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

Cleopatra enters Rome... the image is compressed (squeezed) on this clip so it's not easy to watch.

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

Whoops. Martin Landau not Jadon Robards!

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

R12- I have to agree with you. Still I have the blu ray on order. I am one of those who likes to collect road show films.... those were the days. Even if they were bad( GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS anyone?) I want them.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

That was great R11! My favorite Taylor 'performance' remains her appearance on What's My Line?

Not much of an actress but the she was a STAH....

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

I'm sure it looks better on the big screen, as was it's purpose, however it just isn't a good movie. Words cannot describe how boring a movie it is.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

Forgot the What's My Line? clip

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

Oh that's a great clip r20

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

The original road show teaser trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

Has anyone read Jess Walter's recent best-selling novel Beautiful Ruins?

It's the fictional and satirical story of an actress who had a small role in Cleopatra and had an affair with Richard Burton, when he wasn't busy with Liz. I hope it's been sold to the movies because it would make an intriguing film.

Anyway, the novel is in paperback now and is a great beach read if you're so inclined.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

OP, here is the two hour documentary 'The Making of Cleopatra' in several parts. If you have the time, it's worth watching. It's included on the standard DVD and the soon to be released blu ray. It really goes into the problems on set, the delays, the affair, the illnesses and how the movie nearly bankrupted the studio. If you have time, watch it. I think you'll enjoy it. To be honest, it's better than the movie LOL

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

Elizabeth Taylor shows more of a brilliant sense of humor and comic timing in the 5 minutes of that What's My Line? clip than she was ever allowed to use in any of her films.

You can see why friends and colleagues (and several husbands) thought she was such fun company!

Why did she never make an out and out comedy?

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

God bless, OP.

It's on TCM at least once a year, but I've never, ever been able to make it through even once.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

Wasn't Stephen Boyd originally cast as Marc Antony? Why did he drop out after filming resumed after Liz's illness?

He would have been so much hotter!

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

Re that roadshow clip and the illustration that was used in all ads. Originally ,the pained portrait only showed Taylor and Burton on the bed. There was a small portrait in the corner of Rex Harrison.. The actor was so incensed he threatened to sue 20th.... illustrations/ads/ were pulled and altered to include a full size Julius Caesar( Harrison) sitting to Taylor's right, on the left to the viewer. The block long billboard above the Rivoli, the NYC theatre where the film was to have it's premiere was altered as well. I recall that there were newspaper photos of painters being hoisted up to the billboard so that they could paint a large Rex Harrison image. That billboard was too large to take down and redo.

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

yes R27- and there are scenes in the documentary of Boyd that were shot prior to the production shut down when Taylor got sick. Peter Finch was originally cast as Caesar. I believe it was close to a year before the film resumed filming with new leads and a recovered Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

R27-- he went on to other projects. And no doubt, the delays in shooting the first version (delays) probably prompted him from continuing. It's all in the documentary I linked.

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

[quote]the pained portrait only showed Taylor and Burton

Sorry, that should have been 'painted.'

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

Off-topic but I had to share:

Somebody has a YouTube channel with full versions of La Liz stinkers like [italic]Boom!, Secret Ceremony,[/italic] and [italic]X, Y and Zee.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

Stinkers all but worth a look R32

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

OMG...I would prefer seeing a restored version of "X, Y, and ZEE" instead!

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Some trivia: Francesca Annis had a minor part in the movie. She played one of Cleopatra's handmaidens.

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

We still call them that R11.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

Roddy McDowell looked kind of hot in this. Carroll O'Connor also has a small role.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

I was young and impressionable when the film opened, and I idolized Richard Burton. I saw it four times, and still enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

I saw a restored version at an art-house theater two years ago, and it's absolutely worth seeing on the big screen. Yes it's long, but it's 3+ hours of full-blown 1960s spectacle. And while it's not a masterpiece of acting or scriptwriting, it's certainly not as bad as the legend that surrounds it would have you believe. Liz delivers a number of zippy one-liners and looks generally fantastic, though her weight amusingly fluctuates from one scene to the next. Burton as Anthony looks sweaty, bloated and drunk throughout. Rex Harrison comes off much better as Caesar.

Beyond the camp (and there is camp for days: chiffon! wigs! eyeliner! glitter! muscular slaves!), it's interesting as an entirely pre-digital film. Every set, every costume, every special effect (including a full-blown naval battle) was actually created and filmed (rather than done in CGI), something you would never see today.

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

DataLounge favorite, Jessica Chastain went to a "Cleopatra" screening at Cannes:

(WARNING: link to DailyFail)

by Anonymousreply 4005/22/2013

Would you like a wake up call with that, Sir?

by Anonymousreply 4105/22/2013

Oh, I thought this was about the Gina Torres show. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 4205/22/2013

I love attending star studded reunion screenings. Count me as a 'go'!

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2013

even the extras have died^^

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2013

I've been watching the linked documentary on the making of the film and it's pretty obvious how much better the film became once Mankiewicz took over, at least in the visuals, sets and costumes. Liz looks like a cheap stripper in the earlier Mamoulian version.

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2013

Just watched 7 parts of the Making Cleopatra doc which is almost comprehensive, but is there a part 8? I couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 4605/22/2013

That's a shame... yes there should be a conclusion to the documentary. The whole thing ran a bout two hours as I recall. did you try typing in the title followed by Part 8?

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2013

"Cleopatra" would've been better with Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2013

That movie needs a good editor. Way too long and wordy.

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2013

BT, DT, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2013

"Anyone else going or want to go?"

I'd prefer something less painful. Like root canal.

by Anonymousreply 5105/22/2013

At least a root canal doesn't go on for four hours.

[quote]That movie needs a good editor. Way too long and wordy.

It's funny how it defeated it's purpose - it almost bankrupted FOX. Ultimately it needed Darryl F. Zanuck.

by Anonymousreply 5205/22/2013

I caught a good hour and a bit of Cleopatra when it was on tv a few years ago. Middle bit im guessing. Was expecting it to be OTT trash with a bad script to boot. Could have been I had such low expectations. But was surprising to find it reasonably watchable and the script so literate Dont know if I could have sat through whole 3 hours at Cinema though.

by Anonymousreply 5305/22/2013

I would watch elizabeth in anything-my mom taught me to idolize her. Cleopatra really needed to be made into 2 separate movies-overly long for one and I have read that some good scenes were left on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 5405/22/2013

[quote]I would watch elizabeth in anything-my mom taught me to idolize her.

Don't you have your own idols?

by Anonymousreply 5505/22/2013

While it is indeed way too long and boring, it is still notches above those old Cecil B DeMille Biblical campfests like The 10 Commandments and Samson and Delilah.

But not nearly as good as Ben-Hur.

Or deMille's Claudette Colbert Cleopatra, which though campy, is quite sexy.

by Anonymousreply 5605/22/2013

The dialogue is marvellous in it, particularly Rex Harrison's as Caesar in the first half. The sets are staggeringly opulent, I like that panorana shot across the bay of Alexandria as Caesar arrives, and I love the score by Alex North, my best friend had the soundtrack album back in that pre-video world.

I caught its initial release and it looks marvellous on the big screen, like those close ups of Liz in the tomb at the end, and of course that entry into Rome. She is surprisingly effective and the many costumes and hairdos are eye-catching.

I love that hiliarious scene when she makes Burton (who is annoyingly awful as usual) kneel before her: "I asked it of Julius Casear, I DEMAND it of you".

by Anonymousreply 5705/22/2013

First, thank you op for making a thread on it. I would have missed it had it not been for your thread.

I was able to see it today. I've seen it tons of times but to see it on the big screen made the trip worth it. Just like r57 said, the dialogue was full of wit and sarcasm that I don't think I appreciate until today. It must have been watching it in theaters that made the difference because I felt as though I was able to fully understand every line said.

My theater had about 10 people I would say. I secretly hoped I would be flying solo. Fantasy of my own private theater dashed.

by Anonymousreply 5805/23/2013

[quote]I saw it at the Egyptian Theatre in 2010. A couple of the surviving cast members were there including a very doddering Jason Robards.

He was probably doddering because he'd been dead for ten years. It has that effect.

by Anonymousreply 5905/23/2013

Cleopatra as a subject for films seems to have a history of hard luck. The Theda Bara film is lost. The Claudette Colbert version is a camp classic. The Liz Taylor Cleopatra is a butt-busting bore.

Vivien Leigh played the part opposite Claude Rains in the 1945 British film version of Shaw's CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA. This lavish but talky color spectacle was the most expensive film ever made in the UK at the time of its release. It was a box office flop. Still, it is worth a look and it is available on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 6005/23/2013

I saw it yesterday. Much better than I was expecting, especially the first half with Rex Harrison as Caesar. Lots of wit and clever asides, and all good acting.

The second half was not as successful because Marc Antony was a bit of a wimp so it was hard to root for him.

Taylor was sensational as were her costumes and make up, although her unchanging lipstick (sphinx pink) was a little distracting, as was her tracheotomy scar.

So glad I saw this on the big screen. The spectacle was eye-popping and despite the length it flew by and I wasn't bored for a second.

by Anonymousreply 6105/23/2013

Some guy posted on Twitter he was the only person in the theater in North Carolina where the film was showing.

by Anonymousreply 6205/23/2013

It seems TCF and the exhibitors did nearly zero promotion for this event. I had to search high and low to find a screening.

by Anonymousreply 6305/23/2013

[quote](...) and all good acting.

What?! Are you sure you saw "Cleopatra" (1963)?

by Anonymousreply 6405/23/2013

I saw it for the first time last night. Yes it's ponderous and almost humourless and goes on forever but it's not a bad movie at all. It's well-acted and has some good dialogue and its certainly spectacular. It's not nearly as dumb as something like The Ten Commandments.

by Anonymousreply 6505/23/2013

[quote]It's well-acted(...)

I want to see [italic]this[/italic] movie.

by Anonymousreply 6605/23/2013

I liked how Burton always has a drink handy, even in the middle of the sea battle.

by Anonymousreply 6705/23/2013

The acting seemed fine to me, for the genre and time period. There's no one as risible as Heston, not even Dick.

by Anonymousreply 6805/23/2013

Yes, I noticed there were no unintentionally funny lines or hambone acting. Every actor and actress, from Harrison and Taylor all the way down to the soldiers and handmaidens did aa reputable job.

And Harrison found the humor in his lines and in the situations with a spoiled girl-queen.

I also appreciaated the near-nudity of Taylor in more than one scene, but especially in a massage scene where her entire side is nude - bosom to backside, and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 6905/23/2013

I always thought Elizabeth Taylor was from a British family. I did not know that her parents were Americans from Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 7005/23/2013

OMG, that nude scene -- she would be considered obese today.

by Anonymousreply 7105/23/2013

[quote]I always thought Elizabeth Taylor was from a British family. I did not know that her parents were Americans from Kansas.

Because of that phony Transatlantic accent, she learnt at MGM?

[quote]OMG, that nude scene -- she would be considered obese today.

That was a good angle. She looked bloated in most of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7205/23/2013

[quote] Because of that phony Transatlantic accent, she learnt at MGM?

No, because she was born in a London suburb and was a British citizen. Every biography of her mentions that.

by Anonymousreply 7305/23/2013

[quote]No, because she was born in a London suburb and was a British citizen. Every biography of her mentions that.

Oh, yes of course. Still, her parents moved back to the US so that accent definitely didn't come from her Kansas parents.

by Anonymousreply 7405/23/2013

She moved to the US when she was seven.

by Anonymousreply 7505/23/2013

You are right r63. Had it not been for OP, I wouldn't have known.

by Anonymousreply 7605/23/2013

I thought I read she moved to the US when she was three.

She was a very beautiful girl and young woman, but by the time she met Burton she looked like a blowsy drunk. I don't get why they were thought to be a glamorous couple.

by Anonymousreply 7705/23/2013

[quote] I liked how Burton always has a drink handy, even in the middle of the of a sea battle

I'll bet it wasn't a stunt drink

by Anonymousreply 7805/23/2013

[quote] I don't get why they were thought to be a glamorous couple.

The media said so.

by Anonymousreply 7905/23/2013

I guess the media hyped them as a couple because of all of her marriages. She had a Lindsay Lohan-like harshness to her by the time she did Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 8005/23/2013

At 35:

by Anonymousreply 8105/23/2013

Ouch r81, she looked old! She looks like she's in her fifties in that shot. Ah, the wonders of too much booze...

by Anonymousreply 8205/23/2013

Liz's makeup in the 1960s....lots of black eye mascara, blue or violet eyeshadow and graphically drawn black eyebrows combined with pale pink lipstick and pale cheek rouge was the rage of the day but today appears very harsh and aging.

by Anonymousreply 8305/23/2013

She would have been much happier if she had been a fat, friendless middle-aged homosexual, posting away on DL, but with perfect, flawless skin.

by Anonymousreply 8405/23/2013

"Cleopatra" would have been better with Joan Collins"

Now THAT'S camp.

by Anonymousreply 8505/23/2013

Mankiewicz wasn't going for camp -- the fifties and early sixties were filled with sword-and-sand epics, biblical and otherwise, and they really wanted to make something better.

He later said they made a good picture -- not a great one, but a good one. With 50 years hindsight, I believe he was right.

by Anonymousreply 8605/23/2013

Well, she certainly did the fat and friendless part for a good deal of her life, R84.

She would only meet people who would give her jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 8705/23/2013

I think Suzanne Pleshette was prettier.

by Anonymousreply 8805/23/2013

Me, too.

by Anonymousreply 8905/23/2013

Speaking of Joan Collins, happy 80th birthday!

by Anonymousreply 9005/23/2013

One thing that helped me enjoy the picture was that I didn't know the story or how it turned out. I'm glad I didn't see any spoilers in advance, and although I did know the fate of Julius Caesar (Et tu, Brute?)and Cleopatra (Charles Addams said at the premiere his favorite part was the asp) I didn't know about Cleopatra's son or how her fate and Marc Antony's fate were intertwined.

by Anonymousreply 9105/23/2013

I saw "Land of the Pharaohs", R85, and I thought it was better than "Cleopatra". Joan's full screen-test for "Cleopatra" used to be on YouTube.

It was camp, more interesting camp than "Cleopatra", it did have a smaller budget, but it was much livelier and entertaining than that dull, overwrought mess. Actually, when one considers "Cleopatra"'s huge budget, the movie itself is a slightly underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 9205/24/2013

For anyone who saw the movie this past Wednesday.

In the opening credits of the remastered digital version you saw, did one of the title cards say ---

Produced in Todd-AO?

If so what you saw was the original road show version and not the general release (edited) that came a year or so later.

by Anonymousreply 9305/24/2013

In the documentary Making Cleopatra, it said that by the time the shoot was over, Taylor had earned not the initial 1 million dollars, but 7 million dollars on it due to delays in scheduling, even though she was the cause of most of the delays.

by Anonymousreply 9405/24/2013

The Caesar/Cleopatra bit is great fun...

The Anthony/Cleopatra bit...did these actors even know each other?

by Anonymousreply 9505/24/2013

It was the four hour, three minute version, plus 15 minute intermission. There was even an overture and exit music.

by Anonymousreply 9605/24/2013

So it was the roadshow so it had to have the Todd-AO logo during credits. Thanks so much R96. It's playing here again sunday afternoon. I may go even though I am buying the blu ray. Would love to see it on the big screen properly. I saw it when it first came out when I was 13. St. Louis. Still have the sovenir program that was sold in the lobby of the beautiful Ambassador Theatre now sadly gone.

by Anonymousreply 9705/24/2013

If you have any interest in it at all, I highly recommend you see it on the big screen. You won't be disappointed!

by Anonymousreply 9805/24/2013

Anyone going tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 9905/25/2013

"One thing that helped me enjoy the picture was that I didn't know the story or how it turned out."

In that case you might also enjoy The Passion of the Christ.

by Anonymousreply 10005/25/2013

Has anyone else noticed how Rex Harrison's costumes enitirely cover his body? Strange for Roman clothing...I think only his haed and hands are ever visible.

Did he have body issues?

by Anonymousreply 10105/25/2013

Who would have wanted to see his body, Irene?

by Anonymousreply 10205/25/2013

I dislike Rex Harrison. They should have gotten a more attractive actor.

Stephen Boyd, below:

by Anonymousreply 10305/25/2013

I think I will R99. Maybe. I would like to see it on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 10405/25/2013

The Todd AO Troll, what are your thoughts on "South Pacific" (1958)?

by Anonymousreply 10505/25/2013

Ceasar was quite a bit older than Cleopatra when they met. Harrison was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 10605/25/2013

[quote]Ceasar was quite a bit older than Cleopatra when they met. Harrison was perfect.

The movie is hardly a bastion of historical accuracy, taking artistic license to make Caesar younger would not have bothered me. Although, really what I dislike is Harrison himself, not merely his advanced age. I would have preferred someone else.

by Anonymousreply 10705/25/2013

You mean Cleopatra didn't enter Rome riding a giant sphinx?? I'm shocked!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10805/25/2013

Sharaff tending to Ms Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 10905/25/2013

R105- I enjoyed SOUTH PACIFIC when I saw it in it's proper format in 1968 at the UA 150 theatre in Little Rock. It was a reissue but it was the 70MM presentation. I also have the blu ray. I am probably the only person who really doesn't mind the color filters. The only one. I thought Mitzi Gaynor was fine as Nellie Forbush although, I have to admit, I would have loved to have seen Doris Day in the role. Adored John Kerr.. loved looking at Kerr with those dog tags hangin from his bare chest. LOL. Ray Walston was good. The only weak link for me was Rossano Brazzi as Emile. France Nuyen was a lovely Liat. So was Juanita Hall although why they didn't use her vocals in the movie is beyond me. She was the original Bloody Mary on stage! Yes, no complaints here about Joshua Logan's SP. Although what do I know? I also loved the movie version of CAMELOT (blow up 70MM) and that's on most everyone's hate list. :)

Not that you asked but two movies I never got to see in their original 70MM formats -- OKLAHOMA! (Todd-AO) and WEST SIDE STORY (Super Panavision 70). I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC at the Rivoli Theatre in NYC twice in one week. That film on that enormous curved screen was breathtaking experience to this then 15 year old.

by Anonymousreply 11005/25/2013

Thank you, Todd-AO Troll.

by Anonymousreply 11105/25/2013

Is it on again today?

by Anonymousreply 11205/26/2013

Yes 2PM and I am going thnaks to the recommendations on this thread. I tis achore to sit thorugh but really want one more chance to see it on a large scree.

by Anonymousreply 11305/26/2013

Thanks R98- Based on your recommendation, I went this afternoon and I enjoyed it. Even if it is 4 hours! Looked great on the big screen. Sad to think that of all the major speaking roles, Martin Landau and Francesa Annis are the only actors that I know are still living. I'd say that the theatre was almost full although it was in one of the smaller capacity auditoriums. Did some checking and Joe Hyams and Walter Wagner, (film's producer's) book, "My Life With CLEOPATRA" is getting a paperback reissue in June. Pre -ordered it on amazon. Sounds like a dishy fun read.

by Anonymousreply 11505/26/2013

I wish I had seen it with a crowwd. There were about 10 people Wednesday matinee in an auditorium that seats 200.

by Anonymousreply 11605/27/2013

[quote]You sound like one of those clueless oafs who is too easily impressed by the endless note Streisand holds at the end of "Before the Parade Passes By" to notice how absurd it is for a 26-year-old Dolly Levi to sing in defiance of her impending old age.

It ALWAYS comes back to Babs, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 11705/27/2013

I saw it, too. Well worth my time. Glad I went.

by Anonymousreply 11808/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!