Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who should win the next AFI Lifetime Achievement Award?

Mel Brooks gets the 41st AFI Life Achievement Award on June 6. Who most deserves to be recognized next?

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2014

Donald Sutherland.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

Options:

Woody Allen

Al Pacino

Francis Ford Coppola (he's got to be near the top of the actual list)

Diane Keaton

Julie Andrews

The Coen Brothers

Oliver Stone

Ridley Scott

Sigourney Weaver

Jane Fonda

Ang Lee

I think Robert Redford will win soon, not just for his film work but for starting the Sundance Institute

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

Jodie would be good but she just won the DeMille award at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

Isn't Jeff Stryker overdue?

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Jane Fonda or Sigourney Weaver. Classy bitches.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

Director John Ford was the unanimous choice of the Board of Trustees for the first award as he "clearly stands preeminent in the history of motion pictures." President Richard M. Nixon attended the gala dinner at which Ford was presented the award on March 31, 1973.

The Board of Trustees later amended the "test of time" requirement to enable the AFI Life Achievement Award to be presented to individuals with active careers, such as Tom Hanks, who at age 45, was the youngest recipient ever, and Steven Spielberg, who received the award at age 48.

All Life Achievement Award ceremonies have been televised. Agreeing to appear at the televised ceremony apparently is part of the AFI's criteria for selecting the award. The televised ceremony generates income for the AFI, which is no longer funded by the US federal government. Due to the exigencies of television, the popularity of the award recipient in terms of potential ratings likely is a factor in selecting the Life Achievement Award honoree, which could explain why it never has been awarded to such major American directors as Robert Altman and George Cukor, both of whom were Film Society of Lincoln Center Gala Tribute honorees, or such distinguished actors as Robert Redford, Gene Hackman and Doris Day, all of whom were recipients of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Cecil B. DeMille Award for life achievement.

Of the first 40 honorees, only seven have been women: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine.

Politics also seems to be a factor in the award, as that likely was behind the notable omissions of Charles Chaplin, exiled from America during the Cold War for his left-wing sympathies, director Elia Kazan, controversial due to his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee during the Cold War, Charlton Heston, whose presidency of the National Rifle Association made him unpopular in many circles, and Jane Fonda, whose activities during the Vietnam War are still controversial.

Other notable omissions were Claudette Colbert, Audrey Hepburn, Bob Hope, Paul Newman, Laurence Olivier (all of whom are recipients of a Lincoln Center Gala Tribute), Ingrid Bergman, Marlon Brando, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Myrna Loy, Stanley Kramer, Stanley Kubrick, Sidney Lumet and John Wayne.

Several living people who appeared in or directed films in the top 10 of the AFI's 100 Years…100 Movies list have yet to receive the award including Francis Ford Coppola, Stanley Donen, Olivia de Havilland, Diane Keaton, Peter O'Toole, and Debbie Reynolds. Three living actresses who were listed on AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars have not received the award: Lauren Bacall, Sophia Loren and Shirley Temple.

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

Al Pacino has already been honored.

My vote goes to Woody Allen, but I am sure he has turned it down several times already.

Diane Keaton would be a fun tribute and remind people of all the great work she did before she didn't anymore. She has been viable and working in film for 45 years.

Anyone but Sean Penn.

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

[quote]Due to the exigencies of television, the popularity of the award recipient in terms of potential ratings likely is a factor in selecting the Life Achievement Award honoree

That explains everything. They'll give it to Adam Sandler.

by Anonymousreply 805/21/2013

AFI could give the award to ten women in a row and they would still be behind. Meryl was smart to take it and grab it in 2004, because her career took off with The Devil Wears Prada after she won. Is Jane Fonda honestly still controversial? I guess so. Sigourney would be great as the first female action star.

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

Why NOT Madonna???

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

gene wilder

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

Katharine Hepburn and Marlon Brando probably turned down the award in their lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

AnnE Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

Definitly Jane Fonda...she had a pretty great career and was a pioneer in women producing....even if she walked away from the career to soon.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

I think that Sean Penn deserves the award more than anyone... he is truely the best actor of his generation. And, in my opinion... obe of the best actors ever, his range is amazing, he really disappears in every roll and have some epic characters by now.

Just keep paparazzi away...

by Anonymousreply 1506/02/2013

They really shouldn't give these things out annually.

by Anonymousreply 1606/02/2013

Robert Duvall

by Anonymousreply 1706/02/2013

Sean Penn? really... he beated Madonna... gibe it to Denzel Washington

by Anonymousreply 1806/02/2013

What a sucky poll, OP, since a full 53% didn't like any of your options.

Nicole Kidman???

Julia Roberts??????

You might just as well have given a "Kristen Stewart" option.

by Anonymousreply 1906/02/2013

Jane Fonda would be great.

by Anonymousreply 2006/02/2013

Olivia de Havilland.

Is she still in good enough health to attend the ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 2106/02/2013

Doris Day....though you can never pry her out of Carmel, CA to attend these things.

by Anonymousreply 2206/03/2013

[quote]Doris Day....though you can never pry her out of Carmel, CA to attend these things.

Actually, she lives in Carmel Valley, and winning a Lifetime Achievement Award isn't worth navigating summer traffic to the Monterey Peninsula airport.

by Anonymousreply 2306/03/2013

Jane Fonda actually just truly deserves an AFI Lifetime Achievement Award.

Doris Day is punk rock in that she doesn't want a thing but to just plainly live her life. I respect that. She's turned down plenty of things. Punk rock, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 2406/03/2013

Katharine Hepburn was supposed to be the first female recipient of this honor back in 1977. Only after she turned them down they awarded Davis instead. I’m sure it made poor Bette extremely happy.

by Anonymousreply 2506/03/2013

no one is more deserving than Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 2606/03/2013

The television network that hosts AFI may not want Jane Fonda or Jodie Foster. Dianne Keaton would get a lot of young and old movie stars to come out for her.

by Anonymousreply 2706/04/2013

Jane Fonda, for sustained excellence.

by Anonymousreply 2806/04/2013

Hold up, you think people want to see Diane Keaton more then Jodie Foster or Jane Fonda? Your joking, surely.

Oh yeah, the kiddies, who don't give a flying fuck about AFI, will totally turn in for...Diane Keaton...

by Anonymousreply 2906/04/2013

Angela Lansbury - - her career dates back to 1944. Nominated a few times for Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 3006/04/2013

Im surprised robert redford hasn't got his..

by Anonymousreply 3107/11/2013

Olivia de Havilland, Max von Sydow, Stanley Donen, Woody Allen, Liv Ullmann, Sophia Loren, Gena Rowlands, Ang Lee, Diane Keaton or Peter O'Toole

by Anonymousreply 3207/11/2013

R30 I agree. But, Jane Fonda or Betty White would be nice as well. Betty White started in radio for God's sake.

Does Doris Day know that a rather fair amount of people think she is quite alright? I am not of her generation at all and I can even see her appeal. She was a fine actress with a really great alto singing voice and she has done great work for animal welfare since the year one. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 3307/11/2013

Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 3407/11/2013

In order: 1. Olivia de Havilland (Gone with the Wind, The Heiress, The Snakepit, To Each his Own, all those Errol Flynn movies, etc.)

2. Diane Keaton (best filmography of almost any living actress but Meryl Streep)

3. Francis Ford Coppola (Apocalypse Now, The Godfathers, The Conversation are enough to merit)

4. Gene Hackman 5. Robert Duvall 6. Lauren Bacall 7. Shirley Temple (greatest child star) 8. Ang Lee (Brokeback, Crouching Tiger, Life of Pi, Sense & Sensibility alone are enuf) 9. Daniel Day-Lewis (the Oscars are meaningless since they are so political and most winners were undeserving, but Day-Lewis deserved at least 2/3 of his, and was great in all) 10. Peter O'Toole

Robert Redford and Doris Day would probably turn it down. I'd put Redford in the top 5 if he'd accept.

As an aside, Bette Davis richly deserved to be the first woman to win, which she was.

by Anonymousreply 3508/03/2013

[quote]I agree. But, Jane Fonda or Betty White would be nice as well. Betty White started in radio for God's sake.

Betty White? She's hardly known as a film actress. This is AFI, not the TV Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 3608/03/2013

The award should go to John Waters. I'd watch.

by Anonymousreply 3708/03/2013

Didn't they already honor Jodie? I think I remember watching it around the turn of the century. At any rate, it was a congregation of movie/TV stars and they all come to pay tribute to her and her movies.

by Anonymousreply 3808/03/2013

Lauren Bacall

by Anonymousreply 3908/03/2013

Bacall is hardly Lifetime Achievement worthy. Yes, she won an honorary oscar but in terms of important films and longevity she really has nothing going for her.

by Anonymousreply 4008/03/2013

It's Jane. Such good news. I know I get asked a lot to host these, but I would do it for her. She opened the door to Hollywood for me.

by Anonymousreply 4110/05/2013

LOS ANGELES, CA – Sir Howard Stringer, Chair of the American Film Institute’s Board of Trustees, announced today the Board’s decision to honor Jane Fonda with the 42nd AFI Life Achievement Award, the highest honor for a career in film. The award will be presented to Fonda at a gala tribute on June 5, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. The 42nd AFI Life Achievement Award tribute special will return for its second year on TNT when it airs in June 2014, followed by encores on sister network Turner Classic Movies (TCM).

“Jane Fonda is American film royalty,” said Stringer. “A bright light first introduced to the world as the daughter of Henry Fonda, the world watched as she found her own voice and forged her own path as an actor and a cultural icon. Today she stands tall among the giants of American film, and it is AFI’s honor to present Jane Fonda with its 42nd Life Achievement Award.”

The Academy Award®-winning actor of KLUTE (1971) and COMING HOME (1978), Fonda has starred in more than 40 films since her screen debut. Spanning decades, her diverse career features celebrated comedies – including CAT BALLOU (1965) and 9 TO 5 (1980) – as well as powerful dramatic performances such as THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON’T THEY? (1969), JULIA (1977), THE CHINA SYNDROME (1979), THE MORNING AFTER (1986) and ON GOLDEN POND (1981) – in which she starred with her father, Henry Fonda, the AFI Life Achievement Award recipient in 1978. More recently, Fonda appeared in Lee Daniels’ THE BUTLER (2013), and currently stars in Aaron Sorkin’s HBO series, THE NEWSROOM.

She is one of the few women, along with Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Elizabeth Taylor, and Bette Davis, to be honored with the AFI Life Achievement Award.

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2013

Glenn Close

George Martin

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2013

Bump because this is coming up soon. I actually didn't know who they were honoring until I read about the June 5 taping a while ago...they made the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.