Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #112 - "TONY BITCHERY" Edition

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" bitchslapped! "A Trip to Bountiful" on the rampage! Who's dissing whom behind their backs as the Tonys draw near?

On the Wrong Track: Patina Miller loses Drama Desk to ... Laura Osnes?! Really? Surely that's not a sign of things to come?

Shooly you jest: Shoo-ins - Bertie Carvel? Andrea Martin? Judith Light? Matilda as musical? Pippin as Revival musical? Sonya, Vanya, and Marsha Mason?

Zachary Levi comes to Broadway! Chorus boys at the ready?

The great composer, Jerome Kerr, finally given his due by Rebecca Luker! His brother, Walter, must be so proud.

Come back to the Cabaret, Liza M, Liza M - Liza as Schneider and Grey as Schultz? Would Alan C allow them to overshadow him?

Where did COCO go to college? Where did PRETTYBELLE go to college? Where did GIGI go to college? MACK & MABEL both went to Northwestern. (Thanks, r587!)

SOMETHING MORE! PORTOFINO! ZENNNNDA!

And ... "AWAY WE GO"!

by Anonymousreply 60006/02/2013

Thanks OP. Great thread starter as usual. I think Laura Osnes is lovely and she has managed to have a career despite that awful reality TV show.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

[quote]I think Laura Osnes is lovely and she has managed to have a career despite that awful reality TV show.

Whatever happened to the guy who was on it with her?

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

A friend recently told me that all of the papering services have gone to shit. I was thinking of trying one out but he said not to bother, that none of them get you any good shows anymore (mostly just cabaret type stuff instead of theater). True?

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

R#-Max Crumm. He was mentioned in the last thread near the end. He's doing a play off Broadway and apparently he goes full frontal. He also came out I believe.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

Karen might be interested in the Michael Arden photo where he's draped in chiffon in homage to Ms Z's Playboy spread

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

Sorry, that last post R5 was for R3

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

More Max cum and pix of his full frontal

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

Who wants to see me naked?

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

How is it Kristine Neilsen and Patina Miller were NOT nominated for Drama Desks??

Was Bette Midler there? She WAS nominated.

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

Kristoffer Cusick and Zachary Levi in the same show? Will Zach be tempted?

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

[quote]Zachary Levi

My son! My son!

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

Woo hoo

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

Barbra went to the yeshiva in Rangoon for her BFA

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

Reid Watson - the blond queen from the Patti Lu HBO master class special. Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

R4 most theatres have stopped using the papering services because they didn't want to deal with all the complaints that come from their members. Some are starting to become wary of TDF as well for the same reasons.

Was anyone at the Drama Desks last night? Playbill posted pictures of the winners and Bertie Carvel is adorable, but I also noticed Cicely Tyson's shiny wig was nowhere to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

[quote] Patina Miller loses Drama Desk to ... Laura Osnes?! Really? Surely that's not a sign of things to come?

Sorry, OP, I love your threads but you are wrong about this - Patina Miller didn't lose to Laura Osnes - you'd actually have to be nominated to lose.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

I've heard Andrea Martin is a drug-addled booze whore and everyone hates her.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

Laura Osnes may be sweet, but she is so BORING in Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

What's the ultimate reason for a show to use a papering service anyway? Is it primarily an embarrassment thing, to spare the bad visual of lots of empty seats which suggests to the rest of the audience that they're at a flop? Or is it to help word-of-mouth, with the idea that those who have seen it through a papering service will recommend it to others who will actually pay?

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

Is Stark Sands gay yet?

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

While we're on the subject, I went to the University of Akron, as a dance major.

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

Karen, dear. We WEREN'T on the subject. And I thought you wouldn't know how to ruin a new thread (or at least derail it).

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

Karen, do you know Rachel Sweet - Akron's answer to Kirsty MacColl?

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

I've never seen Cicely Tyson before. She was serving Miss Dionne realness at the Drama Desks - well, pre "couldn't be bothered to wear anything other than a tracksuit" Miss D realness.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

r 21 GOD HOW I WISH! Still in love with him in his boxer briefs in AMERICAN IDIOT

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

That wasn't me at R22

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

Speaking of Stark sands-- get a copy of the La Jolla BONNIE AND CLYDE the musical bootleg video. It's worth it for the two shots of Stark's beautiful cock.

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

Both Billy Magnusson and Jonni Orsini manage to mention they're straight in online interviews today

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

And finally, Stritch sends a cry of help from the midwest.

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

So BIG FISH tickets still aren't on sale. I tried to buy them last night for a Fall trip. What's the story? Are they postponing? Closing out of town? Re-doing the logo?

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

[quote]Re-doing the logo?

God, I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

"Both Billy Magnusson and Jonni Orsini manage to mention they're straight in online interviews today."

And Orion Griffiths, at the Broadway Beauty Pageant last night, mentioned that he was married (to a woman) SEVERAL times. Calm down, guys.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

R18 Dear Vicky, No drug addled booze whore could do what Andre's doing 8 times a week and live to do it again.

Now get back in your sling and fly away, damnit!

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Stark Sands will be gay by the time Richie Jackson is through with him.

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

Little Me at Encores, why?!

Is it just me or is the score dull for the most part? These vanity projects don't work when they're remounted, it's not like Little Me is Gypsy.

Any word on Sondheim's new show?

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

I've never heard LITTLE ME described as a "vanity production."

And yes, it's just you; the score is NOT dull.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

I think it's you. I love the Little Me score. It also has a great set of orchestrations.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

Add me to the list of those who love LITTLE ME. I think the score is a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

LITTLE ME is an absolutely hysterical show with a killer Cy Coleman score. "Other Side Of The Tracks", "Here's To Us", "I've Got Your Number", "Deep Down Inside", the title song, etc.

I've always thought Will Ferrel would slay in the show. I really didn't care for the Martin Short version - something about his sense of humor didn't mesh with the piece.

But looking forward to hearing it for real with the Burns orchestrations. Good season.

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

SUSAN STROMAN IS *THE* QUEEN OF BROADWAY, with TWO new musicals opening on Broadway next season!

*STRO* LOVES WORKING WITH WOODY ALLEN ON BULLETS, BUT WILL SHE CAST PATTI LUPONE AS HELEN SINCLAIR?

*STRO* ADORES CO-DIRECTING PRINCE OF BROADWAY WITH HAL PRINCE, BUT... JAPAN 2015?! WTF?!

*STRO* DISHES ON WORKING WITH NATHAN LANE & SONDHEIM ON HIS LAST BROADWAY MUSICAL, THE FROGS.

*STRO* REALLY, REALLY LIKES NORBERT, BUT IS BIG FISH GOING TO BE ANOTHER THOU SHALT NOT?!

PLUS... BLAZING SADDLES: THE MUSICAL?!

*STRO* *STRO* *STRO* *STRO*

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

R36 go back ti listening to The Wedding Singer, Avenue Q, Spamalot, and Book of Mormon, you fucking moron with absolutely no taste. Aren't you ashamed to add such a ridiculous post to this thread?

by Anonymousreply 4205/21/2013

I think Christian Borle might do well in Little ME - at least it's not Nathan! Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

He'll be great in LITTLE ME. The revival with old tired Faith Prince was awful. Of course, the night I saw it, star Martin Short was out. Michael McGrath is a great performer but he wasn't right for that.

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

[quote]at least it's not Nathan! Thank God.

Why not? A little makeup and the proper wig and he'd be a perfectly fine Belle Poitrine.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

[quote] Why not? A little makeup and the proper wig and he'd be a perfectly fine Belle Poitrine.

He will NOT steal MY schtick!

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

They should try to get Ms. Hilty as Young Belle, with Deb Monk as Old Belle.

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

Wow -did Reidel rip Rob Ashford a new one on last week's Theater Talk..Can see it on youtube. CAA agency that represents Ashford packages star vehicles for him to direct, hence, almost guaranteed hit due to star power (How To Succede, Promises, Cat-flop, Evita-flop). Has he had one successful show since Millie without a star attached? I don't think he is such a great director or choreographer but he must be richer than God.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2013

Speaking of Ashford, his fuck buddy Charlie Williams will be treading the boards this summer in a regional production of LEGALLY BLONDE,the musical. Stages St.Louis. He's dancing in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

Proof that not all gay men are good looking. Bway Stars has posted pictures of the cast and others from last night's Larry Kramer benefit. Bow Wow city. Carson Kressley makes a special appearance.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2013

Blythe Danner and Sarah Jessica Parker are starring in a play for MTC at the City Center Stage 2 called The Commons of Pensacola, written by that lovely actress Amanda Peet. Why is Horseface in it and not Peet?

And Mary Louise Parker is doing a play The Snow Geese for MTC at the Broadway theater, forgot its name.

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

Well, there's show-biz hawt (movies and TV).

Then there's "stage hawt." Like a beautiful Monet painting. You get up close, and it's all reduced to drips and smears and spackle and bronzer.

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

Has anyone heard anything from HONEYMOON IN VEGAS? I'm curious to hear what JRB would write for something like that. Does not compute.

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013

Megan Hilty as Younger Belle would seem to be ideal, but I wonder if she'd want to do another part that has some similarities in nature to Lorelei Lee? And what of CAN-CAN? If it does go for next season, she wouldn't be available for LITTLE ME.

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

Lost in the shuffle - the fact that John Doyle is directing IRMA LA DOUCE at Encores.

It's a really difficult show. I can't imagine him pulling it off.

by Anonymousreply 5505/21/2013

Hey, I can play both Belles....and with no prosthetics!!

by Anonymousreply 5605/21/2013

R54, Hilty is only doing the reading for CAN-CAN, it's not set in stone that she's doing or even interested in the part should it get funding for a B'way revival/revisal.

by Anonymousreply 5705/21/2013

What facet of a staged concert version of IRMA LA DOUCE do you think Doyle won't be able to pull off? By the way, to all the naysayers: His direction of WHERE'S CHARLEY? for Encores was lovely. And since it's Encores!, I really don't think we have to worry that any show he directs for them is going to have the actors playing instruments.

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2013

Will Encores! include the penguin ballet in IRMA?

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2013

Those pics of THE NIGHT LARRY KRAMER DICKED ME on brodwaycom feature some of the most unattractive gay men I've ever seen. Where were the cuties? Michael Urie? Tyler??!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6005/21/2013

Who does the research for the yentas on The View? Ignorant sheboon Sherri, talking to Jane Lynch, mentioned that she follows Nell Carter and Carol Burnett in the role of Hannigan. 2 of the most awful portrayals of that role. No mention of Dorothy Louden. Most of the audience wouldn't know her at all but still they could have paid tribute to someone who originated the role brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 6105/21/2013

Billy Magnussen has a career due to his willingness to get naked or nearly naked in projects written, directed or produced by gay men and he claims to be straight? Bet his definition of straight is very fluid.

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013

You answered your own question, R61

[quote]No mention of Dorothy Louden. [bold]Most of the audience wouldn't know her at all[/bold] but still they could have paid tribute to someone who originated the role brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 6305/21/2013

If you're referencing Billy's recent Q & A on PLaybill.com r62, he also says that he'll try ANYTHING at least once.

He comes off very sweet in that interview btw.

by Anonymousreply 6405/21/2013

Still don't see how Irma qualifies as a classic American musical. Does this pave the way for Robert and Elizabeth? Maggie May? Salad Days? Valmouth?

by Anonymousreply 6505/21/2013

[quote]Wow -did Reidel rip Rob Ashford a new one on last week's Theater Talk

Michael Reidel couldn't rip anyone a new one wearing Freddy Krueger's glove.

[quote]Megan Hilty as Younger Belle would seem to be ideal, but I wonder if she'd want to do another part that has some similarities in nature to Lorelei Lee?

Well if she's unemployed and rent to pay, the magic Eight Ball says... Probably. No one got rich on "Smash".

[quote]Blythe Danner and Sarah Jessica Parker are starring in a play for MTC at the City Center Stage 2 called The Commons of Pensacola, written by that lovely actress Amanda Peet. Why is Horseface in it and not Peet?

Horseface, really? Well, we haven't heard that in, oh say, five years.

[quote]Who does the research for the yentas on The View? Ignorant sheboon Sherri, talking to Jane Lynch, mentioned that she follows Nell Carter and Carol Burnett in the role of Hannigan. 2 of the most awful portrayals of that role. No mention of Dorothy Louden. Most of the audience wouldn't know her at all but still they could have paid tribute to someone who originated the role brilliantly.

Yes, Sherri is a fool, but not as big as someone who thinks any mainstream show would pay tribute to a Dorothy Louden over Carol Burnett and Carter.

by Anonymousreply 6605/21/2013

Dorothy Louden was one of the most annoying performers I've ever seen. She was like Liza - all over-the-top, desperate "love me, love me" - but without the zing younger Liza had.

by Anonymousreply 6705/21/2013

[quote]Horseface, really? Well, we haven't heard that in, oh say, five years.

You must not have been paying attention, if you think SJP horse jokes stopped five years ago. Whenever she's mentioned, the hooves start flying. Same with Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 6805/21/2013

Paige Davis will be Irma at Encores!

by Anonymousreply 6905/21/2013

Loudon's one unqualified triumph was Hannigan. The rest of her career was fairly feeble and unsatisfying, and this showed in her ME ME ME handicap. Too many flop shows, too many undistinguished choices along the way to grant her all the kudos people seem to want to send her way. But Hannigan, that was sensational.

by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 7105/21/2013

R68-

Scott Coulter?

by Anonymousreply 7205/21/2013

[quote]Both Billy Magnusson and Jonni Orsini manage to mention they're straight in online interviews today.

Well, between being ogled daily by Nicholas Martin and Chris Durang during rehearsals - and having to share a dressing room with David Hyde Pierce - I'd imagine that stud muffin Billy has a few defense-mechanisms at the ready.

by Anonymousreply 7305/21/2013

Any John Lloyd Young gossip? Saw him on TV this past weekend looking pretty cute (hate it when a guy who'd make a terrific bottom turns out to be straight). Anymore of the alleged diva behavior from his last, original run in JB or is he being good this time?

by Anonymousreply 7405/22/2013

Was JLY one of the AcaFellas on S1 of "Glee"?

by Anonymousreply 7505/22/2013

Yes R75. If recall correctly he had his hand bandaged, which basically eliminated any possible interest the teen girls and gay men who watched would have had in his character.

by Anonymousreply 7605/22/2013

That, and the fact he's a midget, r76.

by Anonymousreply 7705/22/2013

Louden could be wonderful (Hannigan...and her Mrs. Lovett was superb) but more often than not I also found her sledgehammer unfunny and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 7805/22/2013

I thought she was good in that play with Katherine Hepburn...

by Anonymousreply 7905/22/2013

Loudon's contributions to the Ben Bagley recordings were stellar.

by Anonymousreply 8005/22/2013

I'm surprised Loudon never did the likes of GYPSY. And yet Patty Duke, Joyce DeHalfwit etc did.

by Anonymousreply 8105/22/2013

[quote] Whenever she's mentioned, the hooves start flying.

Neigh! Neigh!

by Anonymousreply 8205/22/2013

I don't think Billy Magnussen is crying at home because he's being ogled. His briefs are so tight in Vanya that you can tell he's circumcised. He's not exactly shy.

by Anonymousreply 8305/22/2013

I'm a big Loudon fan from way back. I saw her in Annie, Noises Off, The Women (1973), Lolita My Love (in Boston), Ballroom, a reading at MTC of The Rink and many many episodes of The Garry Moore Show.

She was never less than brilliant and could act comic circles around Carol Burnett as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 8405/22/2013

R83 I am spectacular, aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 8505/22/2013

I saw Loudon many times and she was always great. Her Mrs. Lovett was as good as Lansbury's and very different. She was also good in Noises Off. I saw her in Kander and Ebb's Over and Over and she kept showing up throughout the show in bit roles and she was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8605/22/2013

Loudon sang oen fo my favorite songs of all time: "Fifty Percent" from BALLROOM.

by Anonymousreply 8705/22/2013

I read, at the time Loudon took over in Sweeney, that Lansbury told her "You're the only one who can do it."

by Anonymousreply 8805/22/2013

Fifty Percent - the doormat's anthem.

by Anonymousreply 8905/22/2013

And where did Mr. Smarty Brantley go to college? Swarthmore, aka Sweatmore.

by Anonymousreply 9005/22/2013

My sentiments exactly, r89. It's one of the reasons the show failed.

by Anonymousreply 9105/22/2013

Loudon was too over the top for me (hated her in Noises Off) but for just that reason, she would have made a great Mama Rose.

by Anonymousreply 9205/22/2013

Louden was a comic genius. Virtually every role she played she received accolades. I guess when you're fed a diet of Sutton Foster and her ilk, you can no longer judge true talent.

by Anonymousreply 9305/22/2013

Can Can will never return to Broadway. It's a bad idea. The producer is a novice.

by Anonymousreply 9405/22/2013

"If a lady in Iran can,

If a shady African can,

If a Jap with a slap of her fan can,

Baby, you can can-can too!"

What's the problem????

by Anonymousreply 9505/22/2013

No, Loudon was a comic pile driver. Funny when she (all too seldom) cut back - as in her maternity room scene in the revival of "The Women".

by Anonymousreply 9605/22/2013

Has anyone else seen Showgirls since it opened at XL with Rena Riffel? While it is definitely a fringe festival show that could use judicious cutting and some recasting, April Kidwell is pretty hilarious and could go pretty far if she can play it straight in something else.

Also, though she clearly did not know all of her lines/lyrics/choreography, we all know Rena Riffel will probably end up in Roundabout's Cabaret revival revival at some point.

by Anonymousreply 9705/22/2013

Yes, Fifty Percent is a doormat song, but it could also be a metaphor for marriage equality!

by Anonymousreply 9905/22/2013

If Dorothy Loudon was still alive and the right age, she'd make a terrific Irma. Not. But that's the way peoples' minds go haywire sometimes. What about Marion Cottiliard? She ees Franch, she can sing a little, and she probably has some box office clout by now. Anne Hathaway? She's lying in wait for a followup to Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 10005/22/2013

I adore the entire Can-Can lyric (Steve Ross does it on his Porter album--hilarious!). I'd see the revival just to hear it!

by Anonymousreply 10105/22/2013

Loudon as Irma? She was a dancer?!?

by Anonymousreply 10205/22/2013

WOW, Clint Eastwood will direct the upcoming JERSEY BOYS film!

by Anonymousreply 10305/22/2013

Loudon always struck me as very needy, and I really couldn't stand her vibrato.

by Anonymousreply 10405/22/2013

Jesus, two pages on dead Dorothy Loudon? Please, everyone get out of your mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 10505/22/2013

Where did Dorothy Loudon go to college, though?

by Anonymousreply 10605/22/2013

[quote] Please, everyone get out of your mother's basement.

And take off mama's fancy bathrobe, while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 10705/22/2013

Reidel is sniffing correctly. All the Tony voters I've spoken with are voting for KINKY. It's not about the RSC, though, its they think the show is the Emporer's New Clothes. If they're getting back at anyone, its for the 25 years of the lunacy of Brantley. Everyone comments that his two over-the-top pieces were a joke. This could be very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10805/22/2013

I saw Loudon's Lovett about a week before a friend did. I asked him what he thought when he'd seen it - he said "A train wreck hits London" and I couldn't disagree.

And on the Bagley albums, she was hit and miss. Sometime fun, but sometimes (such as "The Roxy Music Hall") just too much to take. Her "Sur Les Quais" is pretty great, however - although better on the live tape than on the Bagley.

by Anonymousreply 10905/22/2013

Interesting that you mention Sutton Foster, r93, because I see a lot of similarities in them - both go for the jugular, hit you over the head types of performers.

Loudon was an acquired taste. A lot of people acquired it, true, but just as many people didn't.

Oddly enough, one of the places I found her most touching was in her brief bit in the otherwise Godawful "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

by Anonymousreply 11005/22/2013

The producer may be a novice, but David Lee - who's doing the Can-Can revision and direction - has a fortune - he could fund it himself if he needed to.

by Anonymousreply 11105/22/2013

Former fattie turned hottie Josh Young (J.C. SUPERSTAR) cast as Lt. Cable in St. Louis Muny's SOUTH PACIFIC.

by Anonymousreply 11205/22/2013

Irma is a major dancing role - and Encores always tries to feature the dancing. I doubt Cotillard or Hathaway could meet that part of it.

by Anonymousreply 11305/22/2013

Irma needs to be a strong dancer... so it will probably be Charlotte dumb'Bossy. If not Paige Davis.. or Amy Spanger.... or Michelle deJean... or Amrye Mae whasshername.... or Donna Asbury....

by Anonymousreply 11405/22/2013

Denise Van Outen IS Irma La Douce

by Anonymousreply 11505/22/2013

Meanwhile CBS and The Tony organization have just signed a new 5 year contract to have the Tony Awards air on CBS til 2018

by Anonymousreply 11605/22/2013

Charlotte D'Amboise is too old for Irma.

I wouldn't want to see her do it, but I would be willing to bet they're holding out hope that SF will be able to clear her schedule for IRMA.

by Anonymousreply 11705/22/2013

Yes, Irma is a dance role, but more than singing, dancing or acting it requires tons of charm- I say Nina Arianda.

by Anonymousreply 11805/22/2013

I'm glad some people finally started spelling Dorothy Loudon's name correctly in this thread. While we're on that subject, it's Katharine (not Katherine) Hepburn, and Michael Riedel (not Reidel).

I personally didn't care for Loudon in SWEENEY TODD, but she was truly brilliant in ANNIE and also excellent in BALLROOM and several other things.

by Anonymousreply 11905/22/2013

Facts of Life ripped off Dorothy Louden's show Dorothy. She didn't have chance for sitcom success after Facts of Life stole the idea from her show.

by Anonymousreply 12005/22/2013

Nina Arianda? Charm?

A charming dancer-singer who can also be vulnerable - that's key for Irma, too - whom would that be?

And the dancing is VERY important - besides being charmless, Arianda couldn't handle the dancing.

by Anonymousreply 12105/22/2013

I don't think the kind of dancing that Elizabeth Seal did in the 60s is being done any more, maybe with good reason. Seal could easily get her shoe up over her head (see her 1961 You-Tube of Hey Look Me Over from Wildcat), but she doesn't exactly ace a song. This is a style that, for better or worse, scarcely exists today. Encores is going to have a big search for a fabulous Irma, if one exists.

by Anonymousreply 12205/22/2013

Elizabeth Seal was FIRED from the role of Cassie in A Chorus Line.

by Anonymousreply 12305/22/2013

After checking out R122's recommended Hey Look Me Over' link I can see why she was fired from A CHORUS LINE, R123. She's really flexible (as long as it's the right leg) and has a great energy but very little technique.

by Anonymousreply 12405/22/2013

Here's an interesting article on the original London A Chorus Line.

Bennett comes off rather badly. Apparently he didn't rehearse Seal in the part, just swooped in at the last minute and gave her the chop.

How lucky that Mrs Bennett was on hand to sub...

by Anonymousreply 12505/22/2013

That Hey Look Me Over number looks rather thrown together. It's not from the actual show, is it (the number, not the song)?

by Anonymousreply 12605/22/2013

OP:

Oh, my, Jerome Kern, Walter Kerr.

Walter was a Catholic from the Midwest, and Jerome .... wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 12705/22/2013

Bennett says Liz Seal was miscast and too old for Cassie.

by Anonymousreply 12805/22/2013

R127 didn't get the joke.

by Anonymousreply 12905/22/2013

I would kind of agree with him at least about the too old part, R128. She looked pretty ripe in that video and that was 1961.

I'm looking forward to seeing it at Encores. I didn't realize it was a dance heavy show. And now I'm going to flee before I get chastised for discussing the past!

by Anonymousreply 13005/22/2013

Who's Jerome Kern?

by Anonymousreply 13105/22/2013

Wasn't Cassie suppose to be an over the hill dancer?

by Anonymousreply 13205/22/2013

For R126- Here is the number from WILDCAT as performed in the show. From The Ed Sullivan Show appearance. Ball and Paula Stewart who played her sister.

by Anonymousreply 13305/22/2013

I read somewhere that, in the first London production, Cassie wore a blue leotard instead of red. True?

by Anonymousreply 13405/22/2013

PIPPIN acrobat ensemble member Orion Griffith

by Anonymousreply 13505/22/2013

It seems hard to believe Encores would choose Irma LaDouce without the star casting in place.

by Anonymousreply 13605/22/2013

Dorothy Loudon was also hilarious and yet poignantly tragic in her little cameo in Sidney Lumet's Garbo Talks.

by Anonymousreply 13705/22/2013

"(r127) didn't get the joke"

No, s/he didn't. Guess they don't read the Times. And their (intentionally?) funny aside...well...wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 13805/22/2013

Little Me is a second rate score. Why does this then mean that someone must like The Wedding Singer? It's way down the list of Coleman's scores.

by Anonymousreply 13905/22/2013

This is old news, but THE NANCE isn't very good. And Nathan Lane is kind of miscast. He's not a queen, he's a clown, and it's hard to believe him as a fairy. Nonetheless, I hope he wins the Tony. He has the best comic timing of anyone on the planet other than Elaine Stritch. They are both Aquarians, of course. Stritch: 2 Feb. Lane: 3 Feb.

by Anonymousreply 14005/22/2013

Thanks r133

by Anonymousreply 14105/22/2013

Far From Heaven is better than Grey Gardens,

by Anonymousreply 14205/22/2013

R134 Cassie wore blue instead of red in London because Petra sumpin, who replaced the original London Cassie, was a redhead and I guess it didn't go well with the Cassie-red costume. I'm surprised they didn't just tell her to die her hair.

by Anonymousreply 14305/22/2013

That's odd. Pamela Sousa was a redhead. (Wasn't Petra fired?)

by Anonymousreply 14405/22/2013

Is "Ann" boring?

by Anonymousreply 14505/22/2013

Ann Richards or Miner?

by Anonymousreply 14605/23/2013

Ugh. Nathan is not miscast. He's not supposed to be a queen. He's a Republican gay man who plays a pansy role in Burlesque. The Nance is a stock character that he plays brilliantly. it wasn't even played by queens or fairies most of the time. Did you actually watch the play? He was fantastic and deserves the Tony in my opinion but I did not see Letts andI haven't seen Hanks. I just think Lane's performance is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 14705/23/2013

The play Ann r146 (lol)

by Anonymousreply 14805/23/2013

Not fair to judge a musical by a 4 minute clip on TV, and not a fan of British musicals, but saw Matilda on The View and it seems really obnoxious. Probably won't see it. The fat kid with the microphone was a turn off. Maybe too overhyped for it's own good? It also seemed like they were lip synching except for fat boy.

by Anonymousreply 14905/23/2013

Nathan Lane's timing is so calculated that I find it boring.

by Anonymousreply 15005/23/2013

Nobody can mlop better than the original.

I have dealt with that some years back when I was having my video camera fixed and you take a number for your turn. There are 7 waiting and this man comes in with an obnoxious kid who keep jumping on chairs and stepping everyones foot. This way he does not have to wait his turn as everyone let him go ahead to get rid of this what ploy and another time this hyperactive child in a bank running in circles back and forth and making a noise and driving us all crazy. We aske the mother to contain the child and she said I don't have to. He could do whatever he wants. Fine, wait till he gets older and he won't listen to you anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15105/23/2013

r139 has lost his senses. Can somepne please talk sense into her or at least make sure she is being sedated? She's lost all reason. (not to mention good taste!).

by Anonymousreply 15205/23/2013

[quote]Far From Heaven is better than Grey Gardens

Syphilis is better than herpes.

by Anonymousreply 15305/23/2013

R151- LOL That was good. I agree. Nobody does it better than real Maryann!

by Anonymousreply 15405/23/2013

[R139] is [R36], the "Little Me is a second rate score" troll.

by Anonymousreply 15505/23/2013

Loudon. Vodka. Classic forever.

by Anonymousreply 15605/23/2013

Daniel McDonald died.

by Anonymousreply 15705/23/2013

in 2007 r157

by Anonymousreply 15805/23/2013

Zachary Levi is a gay? More,please!

by Anonymousreply 15905/23/2013

R159 He is not just A gay, he is THE gay!

by Anonymousreply 16005/23/2013

R158 - is today his death anniv? A lot of people are paying tribute to him todayl

by Anonymousreply 16105/23/2013

(quote)Michael Riedel (not Reidel).

No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 16205/23/2013

I disagree about Lane in THE NANCE, R140. The point of the play is that the actor who's playing the gay stock character in the sketches is, in fact, gay in real life. As far as I'm concerned, it's not necessary that he be effeminate offstage, only that he be gay. And, of course, he's supposed to be a "clown" as well, so I really don't understand your point.

by Anonymousreply 16305/23/2013

R162: If "no one cared" about Riedel, they wouldn't write about him, you moron.t

by Anonymousreply 16405/23/2013

People write about HItler a lot, too. Doesn't mean they care about him.

by Anonymousreply 16505/23/2013

If you want to know the real Michael Reidel, watch the documentary "Show Business." He's revealed as the shallow hack he is. And he does it to himself. He's also a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 16605/23/2013

The girls over at ATC have their panties in a knot because Pippin the good son is straight and Lewis the bad son is gay!! (and don't even start them on J Pierpont Finch and Bud Frump!)

Will all these flaming queens who think political correctness makes them superior human beings go drown in a vat of Nathan Lane fat.

by Anonymousreply 16705/23/2013

Please don't talk about anything ATC on this site. Please. This is intended for the adults, dear...

by Anonymousreply 16805/23/2013

Does anyone know if today's League meeting to discuss Virginia Woolf's shady brochures for the Tony voters yielded any hand slapping? It could be interesting, but probably won't be. The boards are remarkbly silent about the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 16905/23/2013

Yes, R167. Refrain from making fun of us! We are civilized on that board.

by Anonymousreply 17005/23/2013

ATC is behaving better, especially since Steven Stage has been banished, permanently, it seems!

by Anonymousreply 17105/23/2013

Which one was Steven Stage?

by Anonymousreply 17205/23/2013

Reading the blog of a friend of a friend of a friend....and who's featured in a post?

Karen Ziemba, bitches!

She's everywhere. Bow to her majesty!

by Anonymousreply 17305/23/2013

Loudon. Vodka. Painful and Hammy forever.

It's one of those numbers ("The Butler's Song" is another) that are supposed to be funny, but they are tiresome in the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 17405/23/2013

Nathan Lane is going to surprise everyone on Tony night when he upsets Hanks for the award. The community is not as impressed with stars as the audiences are. Hanks was wonderful for his Broadway debut but Nathan's role was much more demanding.

by Anonymousreply 17505/23/2013

Ziemba's looking pretty good for 55.

by Anonymousreply 17605/23/2013

Billy Magnussen 's shorts

by Anonymousreply 17705/23/2013

I don't know who the LCT shill was in the last TG #111, but Ann the play is a piece of shit. To end act one with the character saying she's going to the bathroom for 10 minutes? Did LCT hire any dramaturg for this show?

Or were they afraid if they changed any line of the show, Holland Taylor would forget it like the 5 lines she went up on tonight.

And 2 hours long????

Cicely should have her speech ready...

by Anonymousreply 17805/23/2013

Ohmygawd, the Dorothy Loudon scene in "Garbo Talks!" is a lesson in character and comedy. It's really quite brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 17905/23/2013

I saw FAR FROM HEAVEN tonight. Jeffrey Toobin of CNN was in the audience; he looks slimmer in person.

I loved the GREY GARDENS musical and I saw it 4 times. I have seen FAR FROM HEAVEN, the film, 3 times.

That being said, the evening was the ponderous. The score was lifeless and sounded essentially the same; the opening "Autumn In Connecticut" was so predictable and banal. The set was particularly uncomfortable and awkward. The supporting cast was the most charmless since Sondheim's Bounce at the Public Theater.

One scene, and one song (sung by Victor Wallace) stood out - the scene was the New Year's Eve/Miami Beach scene where the husband meets his future boy friend. The main cast tries hard, but there seemed not much chemistry between Kelli and Isaiah Johnson. I liked Steve Pasquale very much.

Kelli looked great in her (maternity) clothes, which fit the look of the period.

Anyone else have a different viewpoint?

by Anonymousreply 18005/24/2013

Is Kelli playing the character "en ciente" by now?

by Anonymousreply 18105/24/2013

BIG FISH officially "delaying" from the Fall. Announcement after the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 18205/24/2013

I felt the same about "Far From Heaven," but I've always felt that team was the Emporer's new clothes. The music is both precious and pedantic. It will die at Playwrights, Kelli can go have the baby, and head into Siam in Lincoln Center in 2014. This show won't go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 18305/24/2013

R144 Petra was LUCY red. Bright red. I don't think she was fired but she did replace Elizabeth Seal who was fired during rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 18405/24/2013

Elizabeth Seal herself was fired from the London version of Chorus Line as Cassie.

I thought Cassie was suppose to be an over the hill dancer. Wouldn't that be correct casting?

by Anonymousreply 18505/24/2013

Looks like another turkey about to be fried in Sheldon Epp's Pasadena friar...

by Anonymousreply 18605/24/2013

I thought they had put the Pasadena Playhouse out of business after that horrendous "Dangerous Game" musical, or whatever it was. LA will never be a theatre town. The Ahmanson presents that same tours (Mary fuckin Poppins) that play Tulsa. A far cry from the golden age of the 70s and 80s when they produced their own work.

by Anonymousreply 18705/24/2013

How does Sheldon INEPPT get to be atristic director? He can't direct a child across the street!

by Anonymousreply 18805/24/2013

R188

He probably studied with David Leveaux.

by Anonymousreply 18905/24/2013

Tony committee issues "serious" warning to Virginia Woolf producers. Which apparently means...nothing.

by Anonymousreply 19005/24/2013

That "Virginia Woolf" was worth it for the two men in the cast. Amy Morton sucked big time, and Pam Mackinnon must be sucking off the Tony voters. The production sucked.

And Tracy Letts will win Best Actor. Not Nathan or Tom.

by Anonymousreply 19105/24/2013

[quote] A far cry from the golden age of the 70s and 80s when they produced their own work.

You seem to have a very different memory of the Ahmanson than I do. They always had national tours. Their own work, I remember as being dreadful. Christopher Reeve and Christine Lahti in Summer and Smoke, and the infamous Macbeth with Charlton Heston (When his head was brought out on a spike, the audience cheered.) Didn't they also do the god awful Hamlet with John Voight? Also, the abysmal Streetcar Named Desire with Faye Dunaway ("She didn't rely on the kindness of strangers, she damn well demanded it!". The only thing good about the Ahmanson was when they had a show on its way to Broadway. (or did those play the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion?)

The good shows seemed to play the Mark Taper Forum.

by Anonymousreply 19205/24/2013

Yeah the Ahmanson produced such great musicals in the 70's like the gawd awful Pal Joey with Lena Horne, Bells are Ringing with charm free Florence Henderson, horrendous On A Clear Day directed and choreographed by haletosis ridden Danny Daniels, among others. Their stuff sucked big time....and I agree- LA could give a shit about musicals....even the casting directors out there don't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 19305/24/2013

[quote] Yeah the Ahmanson produced such great musicals in the 70's

The Ahmanson didn't produce musicals then. All of the musicals were staged across the courtyard at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, and produced by the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera. The only time I can recall a musical in both houses in the 1970s-early 1980s was when Sweeney Todd was at the DCP and Pirates of Penzance was playing the Ahmanson.

by Anonymousreply 19405/24/2013

R193, I am not sure that you can count those as the "producer" was LA Civic Light Opera, at least I didn't as R192. And FYI, I worked on Pal Joey and SOM with Florence Henderson.

Damn, Danny Daniels, I had forgotten...

by Anonymousreply 19505/24/2013

I wish someone would mount "Last Dance: The Paul Jabara Musical" - his life story and songs would make a great Broadway musical. And Donna Summer & Babs would be in it.

by Anonymousreply 19605/24/2013

Is anyone else tired of Charlotte d'Amboise? Seems like she gets the lead in all of the high profile revivals. Haven't they paid off the mortgage on their Harlem condo yet?

by Anonymousreply 19705/24/2013

[quote] (quote)

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 19805/24/2013

I wish some prodcuer would raise the money for a musical starring Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone and just call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 19905/24/2013

Why not throw in Patti's BFF Audra while you're at it? Audra talks about their friendship in that long interview on BroadwayWorld today.

by Anonymousreply 20005/24/2013

I looked up the Ahmanson productions during the 1970s- 1980s. They did host a lot of musicals, mostly tours: Phantom, They're Playing Our Song, Funny Thing, A Little Night Music, etc. (Funny, I remember seeing Phantom at the Shubert.)

However, it really seemed to be a rep company for Charlston Heston, Richard Chamberlin, Maggie Smith, Brian Bedford, Richard Thomas, etc. Most of them did a play a year. Also, they seemed to stage anything by Alan Ayckbourn.

Yes, there were some good productions. I remember liking "Merton of the Movies" with Richard Thomas, and the Noel Coward plays with Maggie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 20105/24/2013

[quote]I wish someone would mount "Last Dance: The Paul Jabara Musical" - his life story and songs would make a great Broadway musical.

Wasn't this workshopped recently? The guy who took over SPIDER-MAN directed it.

by Anonymousreply 20205/24/2013

"A Little Night Music" originally played the Shubert. And Phantom was at the Ahmanson long after the LACLO had folded. LA Opera took over the DCP after that, so the Ahmanson was the only place that hosted the touring productions of musicals at the Music Center.

by Anonymousreply 20305/24/2013

[quote]I wish some prodcuer would raise the money for a musical starring Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone and just call it a day.

Don't those two hate each other? I can imagine Patti being really envious of the prettier Bernadette, and for once PLuP can't use her usual excuse of being "Italian" and thus not American enough for audiences.

by Anonymousreply 20405/24/2013

Bernadette's not that pretty. It's the hair.

by Anonymousreply 20505/24/2013

[quote]Bernadette's not that pretty

Well, yes but next to that troll-like Patti LuP, Bernie is a beauty queen.

by Anonymousreply 20605/24/2013

re: Virginia Woof Tony nonsense--and the difference between a serious warning--and, oh--a warning, would be?

by Anonymousreply 20705/24/2013

Don't forget that Audra is on Live from Lincoln Center tonight. Live even thought the concert was taped 3 weeks ago and cut down to an hour.

Live my ass.

by Anonymousreply 20805/24/2013

[quote]Looks like another turkey about to be fried in Sheldon Epp's Pasadena friar...

I go to a LOT of theater in LA and the only name in the cast that rings a bell is Lowe Taylor's.

by Anonymousreply 20905/24/2013

"The Nance" isn't a bad play, just a very by-the-numbers one geared towards straight middlebrow audiences. Call it "Brokeback Burlesque." If you made it into a film with a genuinely sexy actor as Chauncey it might go over big with the slash frauen.

by Anonymousreply 21005/24/2013

Luke Evans IS The Nance!

by Anonymousreply 21105/24/2013

So what advice would some of you in the business have for aspiring playwrights? I've actually had someone say to me that unless you have connections in the business -- i.e., someone who can recommend you to the right people -- you're just wasting your time, that theater producers rarely if ever take a risk on unknown writers. Maybe that's true, but I'd rather be foolish and keep trying than just give up (easy as that would be sometimes).

Any words of wisdom from people in the know would be greatly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 21205/24/2013

Can someone explain the end of the song "I'll Be Here" by Adam Gwon that Audra just sang on PBS.

SPOILER

So, she rushes home to her answering machine, and her husband left a message that says, "Sorry to ruin your evening..." Was he in the twin towers because it sounds like he was on the street seeing the papers falling down, but then he has enough time to call her and tell her it's ok to go on without him? There's WAY too much going on in these lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 21305/24/2013

"There's WAY too much going on in these lyrics."

Too much and not enough, like most of this generation's songwriting. Prolix lyrics set to tuneless dirges with nary an individual voice to be heard. Even if the songs are pleasant enough out of context, they inevitably stop the action dead in the actual shows. With the treasure trove of known and obscure musical theatre material at her disposal, why does McDonald record this stuff?

by Anonymousreply 21405/24/2013

I don't get Audra MacDonald. She's attractive but works way too hard. She"acts" and I never believe her. I always hear her training. I don't even like the sound of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 21505/24/2013

I'm not that fond of you either r215.

by Anonymousreply 21605/24/2013

r214 I'm takin you to lunch!

by Anonymousreply 21705/24/2013

The Public Theater is not very public any longer.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 21805/24/2013

I caught Big Fish in Chicago. It was disappointing. Dull and tedious.

by Anonymousreply 21905/25/2013

Do we know why the building was evacuated TONIGHT R218?

by Anonymousreply 22005/25/2013

[quote]Do we know why the building was evacuated TONIGHT?

Can't be a bomb, Venice hasn't started previews yet!

Ask Frank Rich, apparently he tweeted about it.

by Anonymousreply 22105/25/2013

I didn't mean to like Durang's new play, but I totally did. I liked it. DHP should get the Tony, though I didn't see VA WOOLF. Lane is wrong for THE NANCE. It is hard to see him as desperate - at least onstage! He seems in complete command the whole time. And, NO, it doesn't make sense to claim that because he's a Republucan, he would not be queeny, as someone suggested up thread. He is not a believable stock "sissy boy." The burlesque type he plays is meant to be a minstrel fag. Yet Lane seems merely a very funny clown.

by Anonymousreply 22205/25/2013

Tickets for HERE LIES LOVE are $96. I don't think this is why Joe Papp founded a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 22305/25/2013

Will Swenson sure is pretty. I'd like to touch his ex-Mormon pee pee.

by Anonymousreply 22405/25/2013

That could never happen, r224 - it's too timid to let anyone touch, or even see, it.

by Anonymousreply 22505/25/2013

R212,

It IS a business based on connections, but can you make those connections step by step over time. Tenacity is key.

Yes, there are those who are born with those key networking advantages, as well as those who are independently wealthy and can use that status to advance further and faster, but nothing in life is fair or just, so don't expect this industry to be the exception.

Work on your plays. Get them up wherever you can, when you can. Develop skills, learn the craft, and keep at it. And make as many connections as you can with directors, actors and producers.

It's true that producers want names, and it's also true that new writing struggles to compete with the material from the tried and true playwrights (perceived less risk, easier marketing, ability to draw stars), but there is always room for good work, cause there's not enough of it.

And most importantly, look beyond NYC. Off-Broadway barely exists anymore beyond the big non-profit houses, so while you go for that and the Great White Way, also pursue shows outside the region.

by Anonymousreply 22605/25/2013

r221,

What do you know about Venice?

Is it going to be that awful?

Was thinking of going to see it...

by Anonymousreply 22705/25/2013

Paying a $175 for FREE Shakespeare in the Park is the disgrace of the Public Theater. I guess it's become all that Joe Papp hoped to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 22805/25/2013

How can VENICE be bad? Claybourne Elder is in it!

by Anonymousreply 22905/25/2013

The problem with too many new American plays is that they obviously ARE written by people who are independently wealthy with connections in the industry. We need more authors with nothing going for them but the ability to write plays that actors can get into and make great theater with.

by Anonymousreply 23005/25/2013

"I'll Be Here" was way too chatty and then of course took forever to make its point by which time no one cared. John Bucchino on a bad day. I think I'll go play Rodgers and Hart's "My Romance" to clear the palate.

(Yes, Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 23105/25/2013

Eric Rosen ruined the Rep production of PIPPIN, he ruined the production of CABARET two years ago.

That being said, Clay is really a sweet guy.

by Anonymousreply 23205/25/2013

Has it been discovered how Elder's nose got that way?

by Anonymousreply 23305/25/2013

They're Playing Our Song at The Ahmanson was pre-Broadway with Lucie Arnez and Robert Klein and it was a huge sold-out event. Even Mama Lucy put down the cigarettes and backgammon to come to the opening. Michael Ritchie really lacks any vision to make it anything other than another road house. Also is that general manager from all the original "Annie" tours still booking it? He was pretty clueless. They did score with "God of Carnage" but that was basically another import. They need to begin by doing classic, popular plays with A list Hollywood names. It may be risky, but at least it would more real for LA.

by Anonymousreply 23405/25/2013

Independent theater is where the new work is being done, in NYC and other American cities.

As a playwright, I sometimes produce my own work, and it invariably leads to more notice, other offers. I started small: producing 10-minute plays in festivals, then one-acts.

It really is about having a cadre of people around you who believe in the work AND know what they're doing.

I'd say ignore off-Broadway until they ask for your work, and find some good independent companies who do work that's similar in style/range/theme as yours, and get to know them.

I'm just back from Dublin (produced a play of mine in a festival there), and soon heading off to a regional theater production of one of my plays (I produced the original production in a festival in NYC).

Another word to the wise: don't make your first self-production in NYFringe.

by Anonymousreply 23505/25/2013

Ditto to those saying look outside NYC. There are fewer resources in a mid-sized city, maybe, but also considerably less competition. And you're freer to fail. Learn your craft there.

by Anonymousreply 23605/25/2013

R197 Charlotte is an exciting dancer but a so so singer and actress. But, having seen her play Roxie about 15 times over 15 years, she's a pro and never gives less than 100%. The Weasler's love working with her. She's also a doll. No diva attitude, patient with some of the dreadful less-than-ideal Velma's she's had to carry over the years and a hard worker. She had her shot with Charity and Cassie but didn't really have the star quality to pull them off. She delivers in Pippin but I'm hoping I get to see her play Roxie one more time.

by Anonymousreply 23705/25/2013

I've never heard the song "I'll be Here," but googled the lyrics. It's clear that when she starts to sing "I'm sorry, i don't mean to ruin your night..." she is now singing to her current boyfriend. The shift from talking about an answering machine message to a phone call is abrupt and awkward, but it could make more sense with the use of props or lighting. I don't know the music, but the words were lovely.

by Anonymousreply 23805/25/2013

Tracy Letts won't win the Tony - that show closed.

Nathan and DHP both have Tonys.

Tom Hanks has been a good Broadway citizen, going to opening, benefits, BC/EFA events - he's been shilling as hard as he can to win the Tony (it's not like he needs to shill to sell tickets - the show's limited run is sold out).

And having him on TV will be great for the Tony's ratings - so he's on his way to being the next EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 23905/25/2013

So what is the 'Cynthia Nixon' Equity Rule?

by Anonymousreply 24005/25/2013

No ugly fat women in the leading lady's dressing room after half-hour.

by Anonymousreply 24105/25/2013

But it's my dressing room!?!

by Anonymousreply 24205/25/2013

Any idea how much longer the world will have to endure Ben Brantley's rein of terror at The Times?

He's now served longer than Frank Rich.

Make it stop already!

by Anonymousreply 24305/25/2013

Fat pig Charlotte St. Martin will make sure that Hanks wins the Tony. He is partially responsible for the record breaking grosses on Broadway with his show adding about 30 million to the coffers. And that makes for good publicity for the business that rips off theater goers with outrageous ticket prices.

by Anonymousreply 24405/25/2013

Any dirt on Charlotte St. Martin? She seems awful...

by Anonymousreply 24505/25/2013

[quote]They need to begin by doing classic, popular plays with A list Hollywood names. It may be risky, but at least it would more real for LA.

I hate going to straight plays at the Ahmanson. It's way too big. They need to stick to musicals.

by Anonymousreply 24605/25/2013

The theatre critic at the New York Times serves for life, like a Supreme Court Justice.

by Anonymousreply 24705/25/2013

[quote]They need to begin by doing classic, popular plays with A list Hollywood names. It may be risky, but at least it would more real for LA.

As I posted before, that is what they did in the 1970s & 1980s. Richard Chamberlain, Maggie Smith, Charlton Heston, Richard Thomas all did a play a year, more or less.

The problem is that the Ahmanson is huge. The top balcony was never open. I remember Summer and Smoke being particularly bad as far as the actors being miles away from each other on stage (part of that was just plain bad direction). What seemed to work were *big* non-musical plays such as Merton of the Movies, where they had an entire sound stage as a set. Street Scene would be another good choice. However, the truth is the Ahmanson really is a turkey of a theater.

by Anonymousreply 24805/25/2013

I think the Equity Rule that is being referenced in regard to Charlotte d'Amboise is the one that states that an actor or actress my not be lsited in two Playbills at the same time. Charlotte was performing in Chicago but was also the standby for Sweet Charity. She could not be listed in the Sweet Charity program.

However, wasn't there an actress who was in the first act of one play and in the second act of another?

by Anonymousreply 24905/25/2013

Why would Equity object to an actress being listed in Playbills in 2 shows simultaneously if they were indeed performing those duties? You'd think Equity would give her some kind of award!

Cynthia Nixon appeared in The Real Thing and Hurly Burly simultaneously in the 1980s. Both plays were directed by Mike NIchols. Because of the timings of her scenes she was able to perform in both shows at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 25005/25/2013

Thanks R250. Its funny that I remember the incident, but not that it was Charlotte. I wonder if Equity's thinking is that she is taking a role away from another actress. In other words, it is better to have two actresses employed than to have one actress employed twice.

by Anonymousreply 25105/25/2013

I wonder why Charlotte and her trolls even bothered to meet to consider the bad behavior of the Va Wolff producers? Seems like they didn't even deal with the infractions. Did they even get a free lunch out of it?

by Anonymousreply 25205/25/2013

John Cullum did the same thing for a few weeks. He was playing the father in August: Osage County, who dies after the first scene. He was then leaving to appear in an Off-Broadway show. A:OC was long enough that he was able to make it back for the curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 25305/25/2013

I know I'll be greeted with "they were all awful", because Lord knows, you guys hate everything, but I've been perusing back issues of The Village Voice from 1970 online. There are a bunch of shows I've never seen revived that were apparently big hits. Instead of the annual Virginia Woolfe or Sondheim snoozefest, anyone alive here see "Rasin", "Purlie!", "Streambath", "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds"(Streep anyone?). Even the Public hasn't resurrected their own Tony winning Best Musical "Two Gentlemen of Verona".

by Anonymousreply 25405/25/2013

Nobody answered the question of the 'Cynthia Nixon' actors equity rule.

What is it?

by Anonymousreply 25505/25/2013

Actually, Two Gents was revived not that long ago as a Public in the Park production.

Steambath I think is a period piece. To be honest, No Exit and Outward Bound handle the same subject better. Enough time has passed that it might work as a period piece.

Maigolds is really just a downer. It is a good acting exercise for three women, but I think it's success was shock value. I don't think the play shocks any more.

by Anonymousreply 25605/25/2013

R226 and R235:

Thanks so much for your advice. You've both given me (and hopefully other aspiring playwrights who post here) a new way to think of the business, particularly how to approach it when shopping around my work. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 25705/25/2013

They need to do a revival of 'Steaming', but change it to an all male cast.

by Anonymousreply 25805/25/2013

The Public revived Two Gents in the Park about 6 summers ago. Not so hot.

I also wonder about Man in the Moon...Marigolds. It was produced everywhere in the 1970s, even lots of colleges because of all the female roles, and it just needs one inexpensive set and a small cast, but it must not hold up well now.

Don't know Steambath well but I suspect it's humor is very dated now.

I agree about Purlie! It's a lot of fun. Not so sure about Raisin though.

by Anonymousreply 25905/25/2013

Does Stephen Pasquale have a flip-flops scene in FAR FROM HEAVEN?

by Anonymousreply 26005/25/2013

Purlie got done at Encores a while back - it really doesn't work and is very dated.

Steambath was famous for being broadcast on PBS and having Valerie Perrine show her tits - first time on national TV. That was the best thing about it. Very 60s - very dated - two flaming queen characters that make the men in THE RITZ look butch.

by Anonymousreply 26105/25/2013

Will there ever be a revival of Dames at Sea? We never talk about that one.

by Anonymousreply 26205/25/2013

And what about the Tony Award winning play Steaming?

by Anonymousreply 26305/25/2013

they need to do a revival of Sail Away before Dames at Sea ever sees the light.

by Anonymousreply 26405/25/2013

I saw Purlie at the Pasadena Playhouse a few years back and it was a lot of fun. Not really dated, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 26505/25/2013

But who would play Stritchie's part in Sail Away now??

by Anonymousreply 26605/25/2013

R266 Donna Murphy

by Anonymousreply 26705/25/2013

Purlie can only work with fun character actors. My vote would be for Mo'Nique and her inspirational rendition of He Can Do It and Willow Smith (sadly too young) singing I Got Love. It has some pretty good songs and one of the best opening numbers in Walk Him Up The Stairs.

by Anonymousreply 26805/25/2013

I recall seeing a revival of SAIL AWAY at that little jewel box theater at Carnegie Hall - the Weil Recital Hall. It was during the year of the Noel Coward centennial which I realize would have made it 1999.........14 years ago.

Oh boy. Stritch reprised her original role and her boyfriend was played by the actor who played Patrick Dennis in the original MAME.

Honestly - it played like a "high class" Love Boat episode with special guest Elaine Stritch, who was very good and seemed to remember all of her lines, as I recall.

Encores would be fine for it, but you need a dynamic female performer as the lead.

Encores would be perfect

by Anonymousreply 26905/25/2013

r255 see r250

by Anonymousreply 27005/25/2013

[quote]Willow Smith (sadly too young) singing I Got Love.

Where in the world did you get the idea Willow Smith could sing, let alone handle "I Got Love"?

by Anonymousreply 27105/25/2013

She has a genuine talent for whipping her hair, though. She'll go far.

by Anonymousreply 27205/25/2013

[quote]They need to do a revival of 'Steaming', but change it to an all male cast.

They did. It was called Take Me Out.

by Anonymousreply 27305/25/2013

I went to LA Theater in the 70s and 80s as a kid. Shubert was Annie, Evita, Cats (long run) and Les Mis (long run). Ahmanson was tours after CLO died, and then hosted the sit down of Phantom for many years.

by Anonymousreply 27405/25/2013

Hanks is a double Oscar winning actor, a huge boon to the Broadway coffers, and has been playing very nice. He knows how to get awards and he will absolutely be walking away with a Tony. Anyone who doesn't think so is incredibly naive.

by Anonymousreply 27505/25/2013

What did they build on the site of the old Shubert? (nice theatre, shame they tore it down)

by Anonymousreply 27605/25/2013

Ahmanson also hosted a long sit down of Nicholas Nickleby before Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 27705/25/2013

True R275, and not that you said it was a "bad thing", but I see nothing wrong with his knowing how to get awards.

I know it may not be popular to say around here, but he was terrific in the show AND he showed definite star power - or magic or charisma. Do we all have to worship the over-rated Tracy Letts?

The bottom line is without him, despite the play coming from Saint Nora's pen, this entire production would not have happened without him. A lot of very good actors were employed on Broadway as a result. I hope he wins!

by Anonymousreply 27805/25/2013

What shows will close post Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 27905/25/2013

I want to see Stark Sands naked.

Where can I get that Bonnie and Clyde bootleg?

by Anonymousreply 28005/25/2013

Am I the only person who hated this last revival of Virginia Woolf? And production where George is beating the shit out of Martha in the first ten minutes is not interesting.

by Anonymousreply 28105/25/2013

Tom Hanks's performance in this play lives up to Ephron's script - both are boring and give you no hint of why anyone would find Mike McAlary compelling.

by Anonymousreply 28205/25/2013

They didn't give Jane Fonda a Tony. Why would they give one to Hanks? Their cases are similar: both actors have two Oscars; both actors have film careers that are basically in the past; both showed up on Bway in plays that suck; both are apparently popular with the Bway in-crowd; and both are going to continue to be Tony-less as of next June.

This is a wild bet, but: I bet they give a Tony to David Hyde Pierce. I was told that Kristine Nielsen's phone scene was the highlight of Durang's play, but her phone aria is no big deal, and certainly no match for the work Holland Taylor is doing in ANN.

The big deal in Durang's play is DHP's second act monologue/outburst/breakdown, and it's gorgeous. He does a beautiful job. There's no reason that play should work, but it does, partly because of DHP's second act aria. And Sigourney Weaver is way more effective than rumors have suggested.

by Anonymousreply 28305/26/2013

Pierce just won a Tony though.

by Anonymousreply 28405/26/2013

Yeah, well, r284, but they also just gave a Tony to Judith Light, but she's getting another one. And as for DHP's category:

Pierce, Lane, and Letts all have Tonys already, Pierce for a musical, Lane for two musicals, and Letts for writing a bad play with one good scene at the end of the first act.

The dude from ORPHANS doesn't have a Tony, and that's not gonna change.

Hanks is in an awful play that he doesn't save.

Really, the category is a free-for-all. My wise bet is that Tracy Letts will win. My crazy bet is that DHP will win.

by Anonymousreply 28505/26/2013

Pierce is wonderful...hope you are right r285. How are you predicting for actress in a play? Tyson? I can't bring myself to see that.

by Anonymousreply 28605/26/2013

I normally like the Tony Awards predictions edition of Theater Talk but this one was tiresome. What was with Riedel getting all snarky about the telecast not being classy? Even at its worst it's still a much better awards show than most.

by Anonymousreply 28705/26/2013

I saw ANN this week for the first time (with a bunch of Tony voters) and sorry, but Holland Taylor ain't getting shit. The play and the performance are unfocused - she went up at least 3 times, clearly, circling back and repeating herself, in the first act alone - and Taylor lacks the direct, sharp, funny attitude of the real Ann Richards. For a labor of love project, there should have been more labor.

The voters I know left at intermission - they'd seen enough. While the second act was better, it still should have been a 90 minute intermissionless piece to really have an affect.

Oh, and the Beaumont was 2/3 EMPTY on a Friday night. That doesn't look good either.

by Anonymousreply 28805/26/2013

Riedel needs to get new blood on his Tony prediction show. The Three Little Girls from School—Pacheco, Greene, and Musto—have worn out their cutesy welcome.

by Anonymousreply 28905/26/2013

Jane Fonda couldn't get people into the Eugene O'Neill play a few years back. Hanoi Jane? Who knows. And she tried, in her goofy way, to be beloved in the Broadway community. It didn't quite work for her the same way it is working for Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 29005/26/2013

Predictions:

Play: Vanya

Play Revivial: Virginia Woolf

Musical: Matilda

Musical Revival: Pippin

Actor (P): Tom Hanks

Actor (P): Cicely Tyson

F. Actor (P): Richard Kind

F. Actress (P): Judith Light

Actor (M): Bertie Carvel

Actress (M): Laura Osnes

F. Actor (M): Will Chase

F. Actress (M): Andrea Martin

by Anonymousreply 29105/26/2013

Oddly, no current shows are in danger of closing post-Tonys.

Ann will close if Holland doesn't win and The Nance if Nathan doesn't win but they were always biled as limited runs anyway.

Unless Motown or Cinderella have really bad presentations on the broadcast, even they will run through the summer if not longer.

Am I missing anything?

by Anonymousreply 29205/26/2013

"Am I the only person who hated this last revival of Virginia Woolf?"

Nope, you were not. Loved Letts and the supporting cast but thought Morton was so miscast and gave such a wrong-headed performance, it ruined the play for me. I left after the first act and gave my ticket to the first person I saw in Schubert Alley.

by Anonymousreply 29305/26/2013

Motown closing this summer (R292)?

Motown is running through the summer of 2014- Tony or no Tony- and then they'll bring in the weekly "guest stars" for another year or two.

by Anonymousreply 29405/26/2013

Denzel Washington is a double Oscar winner and won the Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 29505/26/2013

I hope they bring in Joan Osbourne to play Jimmy Ruffin

by Anonymousreply 29605/26/2013

[quote] Ahmanson also hosted a long sit down of Nicholas Nickleby before Phantom.

Nicholas Nickleby was at the Ahmanson from June 11 through August 2, 1986. Hardly a long sitdown.

by Anonymousreply 29705/26/2013

"The big deal in Durang's play is DHP's second act monologue/outburst/breakdown, and it's gorgeous."

Oh please - anyone with a brain realizes that overripe rant makes no sense. In fact, that speech would easily fit on Foxnews.com. I wanted to scream back "You are playing a gay character looking back to a time when gay men were routinely rounded up like Jews in Germany just for being gay?"

Plus the rant was VERY politically incorrect, with its waspy desire for a society - an era - VERY bland, safe and WHITE.

It was tacky and beyond vile and should not be given any awards.

by Anonymousreply 29805/26/2013

[quote] What did they build on the site of the old Shubert? (nice theatre, shame they tore it down)

An office building.

by Anonymousreply 29905/26/2013

Is Lucas Steele gay? If so is he out. He pinged up to high heaven in Natasha and co. Sad that t he place had a lot of empty seats.

by Anonymousreply 30005/26/2013

KING KONG the Musical.

If you saw the great arena show WALKING WITH DINOSAURS, you know how visually effective this might be.

by Anonymousreply 30105/26/2013

Lucas Steele is very gay. I suspect the empty seats has something to do with the fact that the prices are outrageous.

It's a great show, but the producers are getting greedy. Premium seating = $237.50

by Anonymousreply 30205/26/2013

That makes no sense, r249. Cynthia Nixon, as a child, was performing on Broadway in two shows at the same time ("Hurlyburly" and "The Real Thing" if I remember correctly) and was listed in both playbills.

by Anonymousreply 30305/26/2013

NYTW had a production of "Sail Away" planned about 10 years ago with Claudia Shear, but it mysteriously died soon after the announcement. Maybe it was the annoying Shear who led to its cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 30405/26/2013

It helps DHP that he is one of the best-loved actors in the business.

The person I'm most rooting for is Richard Kind. Another sweetheart. (So is Danny, but...)

by Anonymousreply 30505/26/2013

to R305 I've had to deal with Richard Kind a few times in business situations. He was a real prick. I hope he loses.

by Anonymousreply 30605/26/2013

socially inept

by Anonymousreply 30705/26/2013

Agreed about Ann. Saw it last night. For all this talk of Holland Taylor's endurance, the script was schlocky, but what little laugh lines there were were somewhat muted by Taylor's going up. She had certain aspects of Richards down, but she is clearly getting exhausted. I doubt she wins. I think Nielsen deserves it but Tyson will take it, and I think Tyson absolutely deserves it. But I'd rather Nielsen wins

by Anonymousreply 30805/26/2013

Someone has posted the entire 1974 Tony Awards. Co hosted by Cicely Tyson who forty years to the day is a nominee! Opening number from "Over Here!' with baby Travolta, Marilu, Reinking and Treat.

by Anonymousreply 30905/26/2013

Friend who saw Annie said Jane was Meh. Have seen pics of her-isn't it odd that Hannigan is prettier than Grace?

by Anonymousreply 31005/26/2013

Wow, I had never really considered Levi being gay for some reason, but after doing some reading, it makes a lot of sense. 32 years old and zero ex-girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 31105/26/2013

Remember when Cicely Tyson sued the Broadway producers of A Corn Is Green for wrongful termination?

by Anonymousreply 31205/26/2013

R312, No. Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 31305/26/2013

r290, "Hanoi Jane" is a term used by NASCAR fans, not the sort of people who go to Broadway shows.

by Anonymousreply 31405/26/2013

r301, the bit about the flying puppeteers made me think, oh, brother, another "Spider-Man."

by Anonymousreply 31605/26/2013

Gay, lui?

by Anonymousreply 31705/26/2013

HOW CAN I GET THE BONNIE AND CLYDE BOOTLEG??

I NEED TO SEE STARK SANDS' COCK.

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 31805/26/2013

Check musical theatre groups, trading groups etc R318

by Anonymousreply 31905/26/2013

What groups will allow direct downloads? I don't have anything to trade. Google is not helpful.

Thanks again in advance.

by Anonymousreply 32005/26/2013

r290, there were plenty of articles during Jane Fonda's recent Bway appearance about how she'd charmed the theater community. Her play raised more money for Broadway Fights AIDS than anyone else, and she apparently made that victory part of her personal mission. And she did that little parody of herself and got a prize.

r298, I totally agree with you about the content of DHP's monologue in the Durang play. It's politically retrograde, and pitched specifically to flatter an audience of affluent white 50-somethings and older (which was what the audience consisted of the night I saw the show).

Of course, the play is named for Chekhov characters, and it references Chekhov in various other ways, and it's possible that Durang is giving DHP the kind of monologue that one of the characters in THE CHERRY ORCHARD might have delivered:

Affluent members of the dying aristocracy complain about how things have changed; meanwhile, in their paralyzing nostalgia, they let their beautiful estate and orchard fall into the hands of the nasty bourgeoisie, who are themselves of course about to be vanquished by the peasants.

So maybe with DHP's monologue, Durang is commenting on the self-defeating nostalgia that immobilizes the baby boomer generation.

Of course, Durang both loves and loathes what he criticizes.

I found the play, on the whole, kind of messy and reactionary, and I had a problem with the minstrel-show-type characterization of the black maid as voodoo wizard. Somebody needs to send Durang a copy of Toni Morrison's PLAYING IN THE DARK, so he can read about how it's problematic that African characters show up in American literature only in order to facilitate some necessary change in the lives of the white characters.

That said:

I thought DHP did a great job with that monologue. He delivered it beautifully. All the moreso because his character had had nothing much to do up to that point, and so the monologue sort of came out of nowhere. But DHP made you see where it came from, and he gave a beautiful, musical delivery, it had rhythm and variation and silences and shifts in tone and intention, and you felt the humanity behind it. He did a lovely job.

by Anonymousreply 32105/26/2013

There are no words for Smash except......was the woman sitting behind Bernadette at the Tony Awards really wearing a MINK STOLE??????

by Anonymousreply 32205/26/2013

Some traders will sell them R320

by Anonymousreply 32305/26/2013

Time to take a shower

by Anonymousreply 32405/26/2013

"Motown closing this summer ([R292])?

Motown is running through the summer of 2014- Tony or no Tony- and then they'll bring in the weekly "guest stars" for another year or two."

I would say any show that sells out without discounting from the beginning of previews (with no star) has at the very least five years in it.

by Anonymousreply 32505/27/2013

"[R314], not necessarily. My father loved ballet, opera, and musicals. He also walked out of California Suite during the Jane Fonda sequence. He had a bumper sticker that said "Nuke Jane Fonda", but he wouldn't put it on his car because bumper sticker were tacky."

Is your father still with us, and buying tickets to Broadway plays, r315? Because he does not sound typical of the New York straight-play-goer of 2009 deciding whether or not to buy a ticket to 33 VARIATIONS.

by Anonymousreply 32605/27/2013

Did I miss it, or did SMASH not show who won the Best Director Tony?

by Anonymousreply 32705/27/2013

They didn't R327. I was wondering the same myself. SMASH died as it lived, in a puddle of bland confusion.

by Anonymousreply 32805/27/2013

R326,Yes, He is. I think you have a very Manhattan centric view of theater goers. There are a lot of regular theater goers in Queens, LI, and North Jersey, who also watch Fox News 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 32905/27/2013

Bette's getting TONS of press about keeping Broadway afloat with the smashing success of her play.

The Theater wing must feel like complete fools now for snubbing her.

by Anonymousreply 33005/27/2013

A couple of weeks ago, my partner and I saw Lisa Kron's 2.5 minute ride at Two River Theater in Red Bank NJ. We loved it [gay men] but I wondered if anyone knows if Lisa Kron is still with the partner that she talks about in the play? Are they still together?

Figured someone on this board would probably know.

Cherry Jones was in the audience and we saw her talking to Lisa afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 33105/27/2013

Is Benj Pasek gay or just Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 33205/27/2013

yes, r310, Jane Lynch is prettier than Brynn O'Malley

by Anonymousreply 33305/27/2013

lol r333

by Anonymousreply 33405/27/2013

great analysis r321

by Anonymousreply 33505/27/2013

Kate Baldwin in Seesaw?????? Who were the "writers" on that shitfest they called Smash? That would be like casting Nene Leakes as Golde in Fiddler. Good riddence to that awful unrealistic waste of time and film. An embarassment all around. Good plastic surgery on Daphne though- she never looked so good.

by Anonymousreply 33605/27/2013

Now Anjelica can pack up that moving van of a body and go back to the West Coast and throw a drink at some Hollywood mogul.

by Anonymousreply 33705/27/2013

Will the real Tony Show be any better than the faux one created by Smash and diligently broadcast by CBS to 203 people across the country?

by Anonymousreply 33805/27/2013

[quote]We loved it [gay men] but I wondered if anyone knows if Lisa Kron is still with the partner that she talks about in the play? Are they still together?

Don't think so. She was with Peg Healy (also of the 5 Lesbian Brothers) for years, but they broke up a few years back and Lisa is with another playwright now.

by Anonymousreply 33905/27/2013

Oh, R336, you made me wee a bit in my khakis with your Nene Leakes remark. You really must stop giving Ryan Murphy ideas, you know he reads these threads.

by Anonymousreply 34005/27/2013

[quote] Bette's getting TONS of press about keeping Broadway afloat with the smashing success of her play

Please, the only thing she might be keeping afloat is her gunt.

by Anonymousreply 34105/27/2013

I thought the titles of the other Tony "nominees" were pretty brilliant - "Imitation of Life," with Anika Noni Rose? Casey Nicholaw choreographing "The Gathering Storm"? Sutton Foster in "Oliver"? And Baldwin in Seesaw - I mean, that was the joke - no one would ever revive Seesaw on Broadway, and if they did, it wouldn't be with Kate Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 34205/27/2013

R317's picture scares me.

by Anonymousreply 34305/27/2013

R342 - don't forget Audra McDonals in "House Of Flowers"

and Audra tweeted a congratulations to Ivy last night - what a sport!

by Anonymousreply 34405/27/2013

"I thought the titles of the other Tony "nominees" were pretty brilliant"

No, it was witless, like the rest of this incredibly stupid show, from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 34505/27/2013

R345 has weighed in with the word from on high. No other opinion is valid but his, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 34605/28/2013

R346, based on the ratings, r345's post would be considered the majority opinion.

by Anonymousreply 34705/28/2013

What role would there be for Anika Noni Rose in an IMITATION OF LIFE musical? Is the idea supposed to be that with enough makeup she would look white from the stage?

by Anonymousreply 34805/28/2013

Oh please r348, Anika Noni Rose turns 41 in September. Juanita Moore was 37 when she played opposite Lana Turner.

Therefore Anika easily could have played the maid role to Kelli O'Hara's Lana Turner as she is old enough to have a teenage daughter who "passes" as white.

by Anonymousreply 34905/28/2013

Got it, r349. Last time I saw her on stage she still read as closer to a teenager than to the mother of a teenager, but maybe you're right that she reads as fortysomething now.

by Anonymousreply 35005/28/2013

I would love to see Anika in the dream ballet sequence singing "I Ain't White, I'm A Sista". And Sutton's tap break in "I'd Do Anyting" (Goes)).

by Anonymousreply 35105/28/2013

lol r340 I happen to know Mr. Murphy reads the theater threads on DL with glee :)

He actually posted several times in the "Nastiest person on Broadway" parts one and two.

Maybe more heavily in part 2 but posted throughout both threads disseminating gossip with the help of an old gay friend still in but mostly retired from the Theater business.

by Anonymousreply 35205/28/2013

Benk Pasek is gay and Jewish

by Anonymousreply 35305/28/2013

[quote]Did I miss it, or did SMASH not show who won the Best Director Tony?

No, but it wasn't Tom, because he only had one award after the show at the party and it probably wasn't Derek because of the political backlash.

by Anonymousreply 35405/28/2013

r352 I kind of doubt Ryan Murphy reads here, let alone posts here.

Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 35505/28/2013

You know, Durang's new play, whatever its faults - and alas there are many - is nonetheless just plain the most enjoyable thing I've seen on Bway all year, and you could feel the audience agreeing: the most laughs, the most charm, that hilarious near-naked guy, DHP's stellar comic timing along with his obvious humanity, and Kristine Nielsen, who I find borderline schticky, frankly, but who does the best Maggie Smith I've ever heard.

And it's still running.

And Durang has an award coming to him after all this time, does he not?

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Durang's play will win: Play, Actor, Actress, and possibly Supporting Actor. It won't win Director, that'll go to VA WOOLF. It won't win Supporting Actress, that's going to Judith Light.

That's my wild prediction.

By the way, I don't think Richard Kind is gonna win. My smart money's on Danny Burstein, my wild money on Billy Magnussen, or however he spells it. It's because of him that Durang's play really gets up into orbit in the first act, and the dude is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 35605/28/2013

Does no one care?

by Anonymousreply 35705/28/2013

OMG will no one have mercy on me?

by Anonymousreply 35805/28/2013

Just curious r356 but why would you think Nicholas Martin wouldn't win Best Director when you think 3 of his actors will win (or should win) Tonys?

I didn't see Va Woolf but knowing Tracy Letts' and Amy Morton's reps as actors, I don't think Pam McKinnon had much influence over them, yea or nay.

by Anonymousreply 35905/28/2013

R341 Bette's show is the hottest ticket on Broadway. It was number one in ticket sales, surpassing bloated Tom Hanks. It received an even bigger boost after the shocking news that she had been snubbed. Not many shows are doing that kind of boffo business like hers.

She should have been nominated. They pissed away a much needed chance at some star power as well as missed out on a truly hysterical speech had she won. She is having the last laugh. I just hope they film it for HBO.

by Anonymousreply 36005/28/2013

r360, you sound like the Midler version of Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 36105/28/2013

it remains to be seen if Bette appears on the Tony telecast as a presenter.

Same with Sigourney, Alec and Fiona.

by Anonymousreply 36205/28/2013

Any photos of Billy Manggnunsension's (sp?) booty?

by Anonymousreply 36305/28/2013

Come on, R361, refute what R360 said.

by Anonymousreply 36405/28/2013

I don't know that Janbot does or does not say inaccurate things, r364 - I just meant the level of personal investment Janbot seems to have in his diva's triumphs, and the outrage he seems to feel at anyone he perceives as not giving her her due, were called to mind by r360.

But if you want me to refute r360:

--Bette's show is not the hottest ticket on Broadway; BOOK OF MORMON has a much higher average ticket price, meaning tickets to that are much more coveted.

--Bette's show has never been number one in ticket sales. Last week that was THE LION KING, and Bette did not crack the top ten.

--It was not "shocking" that she was not nominated; everyone knew how crowded that category was, and that prominent candidates would be left out (although obviously shock is subjective, and if you have a huge investment in Bette Midler's glory, I can see how you'd be shocked).

--The nominators aren't tasked with filling the award ceremony with star power or hysterical acceptance speeches, so the likelihood of Midler doing that is not relevant to whether she should or should not have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 36505/28/2013

You're being redundant, r365. No one wanted you to refute 360, you did that in your original diss.

by Anonymousreply 36605/28/2013

[quote]Bette's show has never been number one in ticket sales. Last week that was THE LION KING, and Bette did not crack the top ten

Wow really, your going there? Bette Midler's show is playing at The Booth Theater with a seating capacity of 766 seats. The Lion King is at the Minskoff with 1,621 seats. They both played over 100% capacity.

by Anonymousreply 36705/28/2013

So does what you're saying mean that Bette's show was number one in ticket sales, r367?

by Anonymousreply 36805/28/2013

I agree in "spirit" with what R356 said. V/S/M/S is a crowd-pleaser and moved to Broadway and doing well despite the NYTimes being luke-warm to it.t

I'd like to see it win best play. I fear that may be the only award it will win, but good for Chris Durang!

by Anonymousreply 36905/28/2013

Do we know which numbers will be performed on the Tonycast?

by Anonymousreply 37005/28/2013

I really don't think Hanks will get a Tony. Lane or DHP will win it. Broadway will take care of their own this year.

by Anonymousreply 37105/28/2013

[quote]So does what you're saying mean that Bette's show was number one in ticket sales

No you idiot, it is impossible to be number one in dollars because the show you compare it to has almost 1000 more seats a show. BUT Midler's show is a big fat hit.

by Anonymousreply 37205/28/2013

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE SHIT IN MY MOUTH????!!!!?????

by Anonymousreply 37305/28/2013

Kristine Nielsen is brilliant in Vanya, Sasha, Masha, et. al. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 37405/28/2013

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME OUT OF MY MOTHER'S BASEMENT? I'M OUT OF DONUTS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37505/29/2013

Anyone who thinks Kristine Nielson is brilliant in anything is a blood relative who has a mention in her will.

by Anonymousreply 37605/29/2013

OK, what is the REAL story behind the Donna Murphy vs. Weissler dust up during the run of WONDERFUL TOWN?

1) Why did Ms. Murphy miss so many shows?

2) Why did Barry 'n Fran continue to use her name in ads if there was never a plan to have her come back?

3) Is it true that, near the end of her run, co-star Jennifer Westfeldt got so angry that she walked out before a matinee, never to return?

4) Soon after Brooke Shields and Jennifer Hope Wills joined the company, ensemble member Martha Hawley told me the cast was 'relieved and happy' that all the drama' was over. However she said during the run of the show, cast had been asked not to publically disclose the issues. Ms. Hawley said 'wait a few years and I'll tell you all.' However, she passed away several years before we had the chance to meet again for dinner.

Anyone know the inside story?

Don't put a 100 year cap on this like Roddy McDowell did in his will in regards to his Hollywood diaries.

WE NEED TO KNOW!!

by Anonymousreply 37705/29/2013

Murphy has talked about it already. She had hemorrhaged in one of her vocal cords during the second preview. The doctor ordered her to get out of the show.

The Weisslers spent millions on a brand new production with her name above title. How can drama not ensue?

by Anonymousreply 37805/29/2013

I read that article too R378. I think there is more to the story. Why didn't they go ahead and get a replacement? Why keep using her name in ads?

by Anonymousreply 37905/29/2013

Because she's a superstar!

Did Murphy have to sing in Russell's keys?

by Anonymousreply 38005/29/2013

what I meant by there is more to the story... what was going on with Westfeldt at the end? Was it the Weissler's? Is that why she walked out near the end of her run

by Anonymousreply 38105/29/2013

If I had Jon "Donkey Dick" Hamm waiting for me at our apartment, I'd skedaddle, too.

by Anonymousreply 38205/29/2013

When is "Won't Somebody Please Shit in My Mouth" opening?

by Anonymousreply 38305/29/2013

The Paul Jabara Musical workshopped at Citi Center last summer I believe with Jack Noseworthy and the star of that series "NOrthern Exposure."

by Anonymousreply 38405/29/2013

I heard from a pr person that Westfeldt was far more problematic and difficult than Murphy ever was in WT.

by Anonymousreply 38505/29/2013

[quote]When is "Won't Somebody Please Shit in My Mouth" opening?

Shrek closed years ago. Please keep up.

by Anonymousreply 38605/29/2013

R350 - I agree with you Anika Noni Rose does not look 41 and can play much younger, but not student-age.

OK, I saw PIPPIN last night, I LOVED it and had never seen it before. FABULOUS!!!!

What made the night even better was seeing Anna Wintour in the audience looking unimpressed - she put her sunglasses on during the first act. Directly behind her - wearing suspenders(!) - was porn star RAFAEL ALENCAR. He looked great, though his "date" was a man with a really "tight" face. The ironic thing is I bet the guy he was with was probably about my age (48).

by Anonymousreply 38705/29/2013

[quote] What made the night even better was seeing Anna Wintour in the audience looking unimpressed - she put her sunglasses on during the first act. Directly behind her - wearing suspenders(!) - was porn star RAFAEL ALENCAR.

You should have taken photographs! For Musto!

by Anonymousreply 38805/29/2013

According to what I heard from an actor in WONDERFUL TOWN, there was certainly a feeling among the company that it was not just physical ailments keeping Murphy off-stage, and that a component of emotional craziness was involved as well. Stories like she'd be in her dressing room getting ready to go on, and then find out she hadn't booked some film or TV job she'd auditioned for, then go completely to pieces and say she couldn't perform and leave the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 38905/29/2013

I know one early absence was a sick-out for a new costume for the Broadway production. Since I heard this directly from Marty, I am certain it is true.

by Anonymousreply 39005/29/2013

What does that mean, r390 - that she called in sick to try to force them to give her a new costume?

by Anonymousreply 39105/29/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 39205/29/2013

I also heard the awful Westfeldt was a major pain. Not being able to sing the score didn't win her any friends either. Flat when she was in chest- sharp in her head voice- just like Laura Bell Bundy in Wicked.

In addition to her voice, I think Murphy had other physical issues at the time that caused her stress. She adopted shortly after Wonderful Town.

by Anonymousreply 39305/29/2013

Rob Morrow had the lead in "Last Dance" - the Paul Jabara show.

by Anonymousreply 39405/29/2013

Anything on the rumour that Bette will announce at the Tonys that she will be starring in a DOLLY! revival?

by Anonymousreply 39505/29/2013

[quote] When is "Won't Somebody Please Shit in My Mouth" opening?

The minute Bette's available.

by Anonymousreply 39605/29/2013

Betty Lynn was at Pippin last night as well. Was there a meltdown?

by Anonymousreply 39705/29/2013

What, are they actually going to do a musical about scat queens? GROSS! A new all-time low for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 39805/29/2013

You haven't even heard the score yet, r398. Quiet down.

by Anonymousreply 39905/29/2013

What rhymes with "messy stool?"

Wait! "Metamucil!"

by Anonymousreply 40005/29/2013

Rob Morrow and the lead producer did a long interview on BroadwayWorld about LAST DANCE right before the workshop in the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 40105/29/2013

Betty Lynn liked a pictur of mine on Instagram

by Anonymousreply 40205/29/2013

Wonderful Town had a great two weeks with an appropriately cast Linda Mugleston and Nancy Anderson in the leads, even if Anderson was too old. This was right before shields and hope wills

by Anonymousreply 40305/29/2013

I will remember Donna Murphy's performance in Wonderful Town at Encores as one of the best performances I've ever seen, and I'm including amazing theatrical productions and great opera divas in legendary productions worldwide. I was not a fan and had seen her before in Passion, which made me loathe both her and Sondheim for years. I also thought King and I was eh.

I only went to Wonderful Town because my manager at the time gave me tickets, and I almost didn't go because of her. I was truly blown out of the water. I couldn't believe it was her. The comic timing, the ridiculous jazz belting, everything about that mothballed old script and score was brought to life by her. The room was electric. The rest of the production was "cute," but I fully expected to it transfer to Broadway strictly on the strength of her great performance, and it did. She was unforgettable, seriously.

It's unfortunate that it didn't pan out on Broadway, did she not bring the energy with her? I have no desire to work with her based on what I've heard, but whatever personal drama and crazy she has in her life translates into something quite extraordinary onstage, and I wouldn't miss her in a major production now. This is true of many divas, and that word actually applies to her.

by Anonymousreply 40405/29/2013

Does anyone know why David Stone is no longer involved with "Little Miss Sunshine"? I know he did it in Lajolla. How did it end up with Beth Williams?

by Anonymousreply 40505/29/2013

r402 - MLOP, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 40605/29/2013

I loved Murphy in WONDERFUL TOWN. Or I should say, Act One of WONDERFUL TOWN. She left during intermission and Linda Muggleston finished the show.

by Anonymousreply 40705/29/2013

soul doctor going into circle in the square--so apparently Always Patsy Cline is not happening

by Anonymousreply 40805/29/2013

I dont see Bette doing 8 a week in Dolly for at least a year

by Anonymousreply 40905/29/2013

[quote]I will remember Donna Murphy's performance in Wonderful Town at Encores

Only saw the Murphy video bootleg and yes, she was quite good. Saw Shields on Broadway.. she gave it the old college try but she really couldn't sing it. Wills was much better Eileen that Jon Hamm's girlfriend. She seemed to old to me.

by Anonymousreply 41005/29/2013

R409- She can do six..... they can bring in alternate Dolly for the matinees! Like they did for Mary Martin, Robert Preston (I DO, I DO), Barbara Harris (THE APPLE TREE) and for all the Eva Perons. Of course, they need a really strong performer who could sell tickets.

Cheryl Ladd IS Dolly!

Marilu Henner IS Dolly! As her tag line for her gig in CHICAGO went: Say hello to Marilu!"

Elena Roger is .. nevermind.

Tovah IS Dolly!!

Jane Curtin IS Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 41105/29/2013

Then I saw WT, Murphy was in, but I got Westfeldt's understudy (this was at the Hirshfeld.)

by Anonymousreply 41205/29/2013

R411 don't Carol Burnett in Putting It Together

by Anonymousreply 41305/29/2013

Me too in MISS SAIGON

by Anonymousreply 41405/29/2013

who is going to see Dolly with Bette Midler without Bette Midler whos her understudy, Gennice Graham from Rochelle Rochelle, The Musical?

by Anonymousreply 41505/29/2013

If there's ANYONE who should be having a production of DOLLY built around her, it's Andrea Martin. The warmth and craftiness she exudes in PIPPIN along with the love and goodwill she evokes from the audience make this a no-brainer. Midler as Dolly Levi would simply be Streisand redux, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 41605/29/2013

[quote]Midler as Dolly Levi would simply be Streisand redux, IMO.

Elliot G should play Horace to Bette's Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 41705/29/2013

Yippee! Neil Patrick Harris is officially outed as Tony Awards' host. Oh how fabulously gay! I guess it's finally time to rename the show The Ghetto Awards.

by Anonymousreply 41805/29/2013

Actually, I saw Andrea Martin as Dolly Levi in The Matchmaker at Williamstown about 15 years ago and she was brilliant. Great idea r416!

by Anonymousreply 41905/29/2013

But would Bette commit or follow thru with to 8 shows per week?

by Anonymousreply 42005/29/2013

Yeah, but Andrea Martin would sell twelve tickets, tops.

by Anonymousreply 42105/29/2013

Didn't Ginger Rogers alternate with Dorothy Lamour in the regions (Las Vegas?)?

Bette/Charo IS Dolly!!!

by Anonymousreply 42205/29/2013

R422 -Miss Rogers played Broadway first followed by a run in the road company. I don't think she did the Vegas Production alternating with Lamour but I could be wrong. Betty Grable did the production in Vegas BEFORE she went to Broadway.

Lots of facts, playbill covers and photos at this site.

The DOLLY Gallery

by Anonymousreply 42305/29/2013

Karen Ziemba IS Dolly!

Randy Graff IS Dolly! (she did it at the Muny)

Carolee Caramelllo IS Dolly!

Michele Lee IS Dolly! (she did at Starlight Theatre)

Madeline Kahn was wonderful when she did the show at Starlight Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 42405/29/2013

[quote] Dottie, Ginger Share ‘Dolly’ Role In Vegas Reprise Tab version of the David Merrick production, “Hello, Dolly!” will return to Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas for 12 weeks, starting August 23. Dorothy Lamour and Ginger Rogers, will alternate in title role for demanding schedule of 14 performances a week.

by Anonymousreply 42505/29/2013

Kahn doesn't sound so hot here. Very church lady soprano.

by Anonymousreply 42605/29/2013

Having seen just about every Dolly via clips and songs online, it's hard to imagine anyone was better than Pearl Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 42705/29/2013

R425- I stand corrected. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 42805/29/2013

I would like to have seen Marilyn Maye. I don't think I've every heard the score sung better, and that includes Barbara Joan.

by Anonymousreply 42905/29/2013

I regret that I didn't see Bailey. I think her cast recording is my all time favorite. Pearl bailey and company shut down on Broadway for one week and took the entire show for a 7 night run at the St. Louis Muny. Tried to get tickets, the entire run was sold out in one day. The Muny seats something like 11,000. I never made it to NY when she was in the show. I was there the night Merman opened in the show. Didn't see her either. Wish I had.

by Anonymousreply 43005/29/2013

[quote]Carolee Caramelllo IS Dolly!

She'll be busy doing SCANDALOUS in Branson, MO.

by Anonymousreply 43105/29/2013

Bette really doesn't want to do anything more than sit on a couch. Seriously. It took forever to convince her to do this, and the only reason she said yes was 1) 7 performances; 2) She would only have to sit; 3) 13 weeks. She's delightful, but she has no real interest in working. At all. She's done, fellas.

by Anonymousreply 43205/29/2013

Are there any musicals where the main character sits the whole time? They could have Dolly wheeled around like Madame Armfeldt.

by Anonymousreply 43305/29/2013

I saw her R429. Knasas City Starlight Theatre's first production of DOLLY! in the 70's. Don't remember too much about the production. I still have the Marilyn Maye program. Her daughter Kristi Tucker played Minnie Fay. Marilyn also did a production of CAN-CAN at Starlight. I had a chance to see Maye in a concert at Quality Hill Playhouse several years ago. Just her and a jazz trio. Wow! She still has it!

by Anonymousreply 43405/29/2013

I was lucky enough to see Murphy and Westfeldt and I loved them both. Murphy exceeded my expectations and I figured, at the time, that people would be talking about her performance the way people talk about Merman in Gypsy and Laurette Taylor in Menagerie (MARY!)

Unfortunately, all anyone ever talks about is her excessive absence. And it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 43505/29/2013

r434

Thanks for the rememberance!

I thought it was a real shame that someone like Maye didn't get to take over from Linda Lavin when Follies came to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 43605/29/2013

That's some site, R423 and it includes an interview with a Dolly that agrees with R425 about Pearl Bailey...see the link. This interview deserves its own thread!

I was scrolling those photos and Danny Larue looks like Renee Taylor. You can tell a lot about a Dolly by the quality of her wig and how well made the dress is.

by Anonymousreply 43705/29/2013

I love the story about Yvonne De Carlo and her more popular standby, Toni Lamond. De Carlo comes across as someone who was most certainly not a creature of the stage.

by Anonymousreply 43805/29/2013

So I see that Vivian Blaine once played Dolly. I would have loved to see her in the role. I wonder why she didn't do it on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 43905/29/2013

Murphy was peachy as Ruth

As long as you closed your eyes....She was channeling Roz Russell...plain and simple.

With your eyes open, she talked outta the side of her mouth.

Me no likey!

But at least she was on...and finished the show.

by Anonymousreply 44005/29/2013

I saw CINDERELLA tonight - I loved it, it was quite the clever re-imaging of the familiar story.

Santino Fontana, who I never thought would be a convincing prince, gave a performance which completely changed my mind. He sang beautifully, and looked great in his costumes?

I thought he pinged but then I recall several people posting on a prior Theater Gossip thread that he was very straight :(

by Anonymousreply 44105/29/2013

"and looked great in his costumes!"

The sentence should have ended with an exclamation point!

by Anonymousreply 44205/29/2013

I saw that Williamstown Matchmaker, too (R419) and I love, love Andrea Martin, but i thought she was meh. Great comics in that show, Lewis Stadlen, Chris Fitzgerald, Lewis Black (!), but all in their own show- like most Williamstown productions. Also a VERY Irish Kate Burton as Mrs. Molloy.

Marian Seldes walked off with the show in the last act. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 44305/30/2013

Finally saw NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT. Jessie Mueller was great and Broderick was Broderick. The show is toooo looooong and the mezzanine was literally empty.

by Anonymousreply 44405/30/2013

Any report from Venice at the Public or Shakespeare in the Park?

With Hamish and Jesse as brothers? Shouldn't they be sisters?

by Anonymousreply 44505/30/2013

Is Hamish gay?

by Anonymousreply 44605/30/2013

Andrea Martin can certainly play a five-alarm diva (see her classic SCTV character Edith Prickly for evidence of this) but Dolly seems a little soft-centered for her very post-postmodern talents. Someone needs to write a role specifically for her.

by Anonymousreply 44705/30/2013

"Dolly" is so outdated and boring, can't someone write an update of it, or something better? I don't blame Bette for not wanting to do it, singing those awful songs every night, yuk! She should just do a Broadway concert show like Manilow did recently.

by Anonymousreply 44805/30/2013

I saw Dorothy Lamour in a bus-and-truck "Hello, Dolly" at the Pensacola Municipal Auditorium in 1966. Pensacola is a Navy town, and at the curtain she saluted our men in uniform, and then did a hula to that "Aloha, Oy" or whatever it's called.

by Anonymousreply 44905/30/2013

[quote]Are there any musicals where the main character sits the whole time? They could have Dolly wheeled around like Madame Armfeldt.

I'll never forget it, you know. I was sitting with my friend Soph and suddenly the idea comes to me - Delores Delago, the toast of Chicago as a broadway musical experience. I can sit on my ass and do a short show because my fans are all in their 80s and need to get home before it's dark.

by Anonymousreply 45005/30/2013

next up--Bette in Sunrise in Campobello in rep with The Man Who Came to Dinner and Whose Life Is It Anyway>

by Anonymousreply 45105/30/2013

[quote]Are there any musicals where the main character sits the whole time?

Lucky Stiff?

She'd be perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 45205/30/2013

r448 is an utter asshole. Hello Dolly is a PERFECT musical comedy in every sense of the word. One reason it would not succeed today: no director/choreography working in this century approaches what Gower Champion was.

by Anonymousreply 45305/30/2013

Bette laughs last - I'LL EAT YOU LAST recoups its investment!

by Anonymousreply 45405/30/2013

People in the streets.

People in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 45505/30/2013

Too good to let go, isn't it, Deb?

by Anonymousreply 45605/30/2013

The worst number ever done on SMASH.... worse than last season's bowling alley number or Kat McPhee's horrid Bollywood send up.

by Anonymousreply 45705/30/2013

Aren't the Tonys held at Radio City Music Hall or The Beacon? They could have at least had cameo appearances with the casts of the 2 previous flops at that theater- J+H and Evita. That number was pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 45805/30/2013

They should update Dolly to the 1950s like that Dutch production with the drag Dolly did (or was it German). It was much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 45905/30/2013

Bette IS Sherry!

by Anonymousreply 46005/30/2013

Will Richard Jay Alexander be involved with the revival of the revival of Les Miz this spring?

by Anonymousreply 46105/30/2013

Are Bette and Marc Shaiman still close? If she wants to do a musical she should have one written for her. Suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 46205/30/2013

Can we talk a bit more about Wes Tay-Tay and his twitching anus.

Also, what's the scoop on Andy Meintus??

by Anonymousreply 46305/30/2013

did RJA abuse cast members of Les Miz?

by Anonymousreply 46405/30/2013

Hamish is straightish.

by Anonymousreply 46505/30/2013

Here we go again into the dim past with a posting from Dot Gray. Who the hell is Dot Gray? Dolores? IN what world? ON what planet? Or is that something her Mamma Rose of a stage mother called her? Stop the madness, or I'll have to call Charlotte St. Martin to arbitrate this.

by Anonymousreply 46605/30/2013

[quote]They should update Dolly to the 1950s like that Dutch production with the drag Dolly did (or was it German). It was much more interesting.

The production was Swiss. And it wasn't so much a "drag" Dolly as performer playing Dolly happened to be male. Christoph Marti played it absolutely straight, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 46705/30/2013

I saw Dolores (DoDo) Gray two times. GIRL CRAZY with Ann Reinking at the St. Louis Muny and the 42nd STREET national tour when she she had taken over the role of Miss Dorothy Block.

DoDo was heartbroken when she lost out the role of Molly Brown in THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN to Tammy Grimes. But she did get to play Molly at the Muny!

by Anonymousreply 46805/30/2013

OK, Well at least DoDo makes more sense from Dolores than frigging Dot. Or does it?

by Anonymousreply 46905/30/2013

LOL R469

by Anonymousreply 47005/30/2013

[quote]did RJA abuse cast members of Les Miz?

Let's just say there wasn't a Marius under RJA's watch that didn't get at least a little fondled.

by Anonymousreply 47105/30/2013

So did Emma Stone exit CABARET because she had an emotional meltdown while attending a photo shoot for the production? That's what they are saying on that other chat board.

by Anonymousreply 47205/30/2013

Does the Pippin in this production keep his feets covered the entire time?

by Anonymousreply 47305/30/2013

I called her Dolly Dot Dot [I shit you not]

by Anonymousreply 47405/30/2013

I want a revival of "Darling Of The Day."

by Anonymousreply 47505/30/2013

[quote]Are Bette and Marc Shaiman still close? If she wants to do a musical she should have one written for her. Suggestions?

She invested in his "Hairspray".

by Anonymousreply 47605/30/2013

Interesting that they went for two less hot people than Kazee and Milioti for the new ONCE leads. Also totally different physical types - she looks like a substantial girl as opposed to the tiny Milioti, and he's so much scrawnier than Kazee that it looks like they actually changed the costume for him.

by Anonymousreply 47705/30/2013

VENICE has a lot of cute ethnic pocket gays. And tall, white Claybourne Elder.

The show has a lot of energy, but it's a twee bit pretentious and too serious about itself. That said, there's a Lil Kim character that should have stolen the show, but her song is just not fabulous enough.

The raps are even less authentic than IN THE HEIGHTS.

by Anonymousreply 47805/30/2013

Bette could make Dolly just a little bit dirty. That might be fun.

by Anonymousreply 47905/30/2013

R477 - wow, what odd replacements - couldn't they hire attractive people?

by Anonymousreply 48005/30/2013

Is that Rory in Once?

by Anonymousreply 48105/31/2013

"Which late theater person had a past that was about to catch up with him? It’s a poignant moment at the Tony Awards when Broadway takes note of its own who died this past year, drawing applause and perhaps tears, as well. But if the Tony crowd knew the full story, they’d hold the cheers — he drank himself to death just before he was about to be questioned by the police for stalking and harassing an ex . . ."

Who died in the past year?

by Anonymousreply 48205/31/2013

Here's a list of all the deceased of the past year...

by Anonymousreply 48305/31/2013

Marty Richards?

Hamlisch?

by Anonymousreply 48405/31/2013

"Attractive" hardly matters in the case of that snoozefest Twice, or Thrice, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 48505/31/2013

Was Hamlisch stalking Carole Bayer-Sager?

by Anonymousreply 48605/31/2013

That Post blind item is stretching it as usual for the Post.

I assume it's about producer Roy Miller. Roy was unusually kind and sweet for a producer and most people would still cheer him --even though he drank and probably made too many drunken phone calls to his ex.

by Anonymousreply 48705/31/2013

They couldn't find two American actors anywhere to replace Kazee and Milioti in Once? Why does Equity allow that?

by Anonymousreply 48805/31/2013

Because r488 the UK gets Americans in return. Seems fair? There are many productions which opened here with US cast members - hello Book of Mormon. - thoroughly enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 48905/31/2013

Yes it is, r481.

by Anonymousreply 49005/31/2013

Why are they making such a big deal about Emma Stone bouncing from CABARET when she was never officially announced for it.

Paging Jesse Mueller (kidding).

Is Sutton Foster busy (really kidding).

by Anonymousreply 49105/31/2013

The "late theatre person" is Charles Durning. Had become a serious alcoholic and was stalking his ex.

Heard the story at a New Years Eve party, shortly after he died.

by Anonymousreply 49205/31/2013

[quote]Why are they making such a big deal about Emma Stone bouncing from CABARET when she was never officially announced for it.

Why is it even returning?

by Anonymousreply 49305/31/2013

"Giacomo Variations" is a disaster. Horrible direction.

by Anonymousreply 49405/31/2013

Was thinking of Jackie Hoffman- why I don't know...she is a funny woman but did she sabotage her career after bad mouthing the wrong people connected to The Addams Family?

by Anonymousreply 49505/31/2013

The Nance was riveting theater! Why did the play not even get a TONY nomination?

Nathan was the best I have ever seen him; he went far beyond the "happy clown/sad clown" role, as some moron here described the role.

by Anonymousreply 49605/31/2013

Maybe because it was shallow, two-dimensional, and predictable, r496?

by Anonymousreply 49705/31/2013

Those on intimate terms with Miss Gray referred to her as "Dolo."

Or "Dolo, darling."

Never "Dot."

by Anonymousreply 49805/31/2013

"did she sabotage her career after bad mouthing the wrong people connected to The Addams Family?"

What cast member DIDN'T bad mouth The Addams Family?

by Anonymousreply 49905/31/2013

[quote]What cast member DIDN'T bad mouth The Addams Family?

Have to agree here... it was awful. The only good thing to come out of that show was Wes Tay-Tay and his twitching ass.

by Anonymousreply 50005/31/2013

R491- Emma got upset at the publicity photo shoot. She's scared to do a musical.

As for Jessie Mueller. She is talented but frankly, her appeal is lost on me. I'm surprised they haven't cast her as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL, featuring Lauren Ambrose as Georgia, the showgirl.

by Anonymousreply 50105/31/2013

Because I *AM* FANNY BRICE!

by Anonymousreply 50205/31/2013

Mueller could make a very fine Fanny Brice, but the idea is to cast someone who would sell more than 7 tickets.

by Anonymousreply 50305/31/2013

I'd LOVE to see Laura Osnes beat Lea Michelle (literally and figuratively) for Fannie Brice.

If a nobody (AKA not known outside Manhattan) can complete, then bring back Leslie Kritzer. I'd love to see Lea (i'll show my tits at the end of act one and beginning of act 2) Michelle all smug about inevitable casting. Then record her reaction when she loses the part.

by Anonymousreply 50405/31/2013

Laura Osnes, r504? It needs a Jewish girl.

by Anonymousreply 50505/31/2013

Oh, not Leslie Kritzer again! Hasn't her time to star in anything passed her by? She's last year's Julia Murney but twice as funny.

by Anonymousreply 50605/31/2013

Is there any sort of Gossip about Levi going around?

by Anonymousreply 50705/31/2013

[quote]It needs a Jewish girl.

Carol, wasn't the show originally planned as a vehicle for Mary Martin and later on offered to Anne Bancroft? Neither of them would have been remotely convincing as Jewish comics, so maybe Streisand was an exception rather than the rule.

by Anonymousreply 50805/31/2013

Santino Fontana is gayer than Tom Cruise in a Miata

by Anonymousreply 50905/31/2013

I vote for Leslie Kritzer too.

by Anonymousreply 51005/31/2013

Kat McPhee could be an interesting Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 51105/31/2013

Im sure the next Fanny Brice will be cast via reality show

by Anonymousreply 51205/31/2013

Only if Kat sings some Pitbull song in a grunge outfit instead of People, (R511).

by Anonymousreply 51305/31/2013

Kat has the cross-eyed look that Streisand has.

by Anonymousreply 51405/31/2013

A torn ticket stub has more life to it than Ms.McPhee has shown in her performances on SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 51505/31/2013

they all look..um..mentally challenged

by Anonymousreply 51605/31/2013

They all ARE mentally challenged! But well fed on cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 51705/31/2013

That's the way they spell anonymous in Flanders, home of Carnival in.

by Anonymousreply 51805/31/2013

What's your point, r508 - do you think either Martin or Bancroft were right for the role?

by Anonymousreply 51905/31/2013

Bancroft would have probably acted better than Babs. Babs could never act and she was embarrassingly awful at least in the movie version. Of course none of the other women could have sung the final score as well as Streisand, but Jule Styne did write the songs specifically for someone with Barbra's vocal talent.

by Anonymousreply 52005/31/2013

Roundabout is reviving Cabaret because they evidently need what they think will be a guaranteed money maker after all of their flops like Drood. Be careful what you wish for. That last revival with Joel Grey was awful. It is hard to go back to what you once were and recreate the magic. And we also have to look at pasty faced Cummings ugly nipples. They better get a big star for Sally cause no one cares about the Scot-you can shoot deer in the Barrymore with all the empty seats at Macbeth.

by Anonymousreply 52105/31/2013

Liza could still do a revival (albeit a limited engagement). In fact it would be interesting if they changed Sally Bowles to a world weary older starlet who never really made it.

by Anonymousreply 52205/31/2013

Alyson Reed looked like a line backer in that J.Grey revival. Give me lovely Jill Haworth (RIP) any old day.. she was Sally!!

by Anonymousreply 52305/31/2013

Liza will always be Sally.

Who is Jill Hayworth? Rita's daughter?

by Anonymousreply 52405/31/2013

Liza will always be Liza. She was nothing remotely resembling what Sally Bowles is supposed to be. She was terrifically entertaining, and very affecting, but she was not Sally Bowles.

Jill Haworth and especially Judi Dench - THEY were Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 52505/31/2013

[quote]Liza could still do a revival

Yes. If they changed the book so that Sally is entertaining at the Kit Kat Club after surviving ten years of binge-eating and electroshock therapy and having her voice terribly scarred in a traumatic vocalizing accident, then yes, Liza could still do a revival.

by Anonymousreply 52605/31/2013

Leslie Kritzer is WAY past her sell-by date. And too old for Fanny. Isn't she 50 now?

by Anonymousreply 52705/31/2013

The problem with Alan Cumming's "Macbeth" was the "insane asylum" concept. The mental hospital as funky metaphor for societal oppression lost its potency with deinstitutionalization, and most of us already spend much more time with unmedicated psychotics than we really care to.

by Anonymousreply 52805/31/2013

Liza is being talked about for Schneider, not Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 52905/31/2013

There's a reason the original Funny Girl was not produced with Mary Martin, Anne Bancroft, Carol Burnett or even Eydie Gorme. And certainly not a revival with Lauren Ambrose!

The role requires a very specific super talent, both singing and acting, and only Streisand was able to deliver it in spades, with the film as eternal proof. And though most people today have no clue who Fanny Brice was, the show references all her physical quirks.

Obviously, it's the reason Funny Girl has never had a Broadway revival.

by Anonymousreply 53005/31/2013

So, how many days will Glory Days, oh, I'm sorry, Soul Doctor run for?

by Anonymousreply 53105/31/2013

One hears that Mimi Hines acted the part better than Bubby Strident. The film is a testament to her star quality, which is enormous, but not to her abilities as an actress. Several other films (notably "Nuts") haved proven that Streisand's acting chops are nothing to write home about.

by Anonymousreply 53205/31/2013

Streisand has never been a super acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 53305/31/2013

Oh, please, Streisand has the star wattage of a Hepburn, Grant, et al. Whether it's achieved through force of personality or characterization is irrelevant, as proven by the success of her films and world-wide following.

by Anonymousreply 53405/31/2013

If you think Alyson Reed loooked like a linebacker 25 years ago, you should see her now. At least 200 lbs. She goes around the country giving inspirational talks to students. She has puffy fat face from too much drinking.

by Anonymousreply 53505/31/2013

Why was the 1982 LITTLE ME revival such a fast flop? What was the problem?

by Anonymousreply 53605/31/2013

What is the ethnic background of Tony Yazbeck and his deliciously huge ass?

by Anonymousreply 53705/31/2013

Jessica James' boobies scared me, R536. Mary Gordon Murray lacked star quality. Victor Garber was good. Michael Park's performance of I've Got Your Number gave me a boner.

by Anonymousreply 53805/31/2013

Michael Park gave you a boner in the '90s Roundabout revival, r538 - did you also get one from Don Correia in the '80s one?

Speaking of Correia - can anyone explain to me why we don't see Sandy Duncan more, in any medium (stage, screen, or TV)? Does she have enough money that she doesn't have to work, and is therefore really picky? I'm aware that that roles for women her age aren't hugely plentiful, but still, IMDB lists her last credit as having been in 2001! Surely she gets offered guest spots on sitcoms and things like that - is she just not interested? And what about Broadway - do they live in LA full-time and she doesn't want to commit to a Broadway run?

by Anonymousreply 53905/31/2013

I just heard that Sandy Duncan was in Circle Mirror Transformation at George Street Playhouse in New Brunswick last year so she is still working somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 54005/31/2013

[quote]Babs could never act and she was embarrassingly awful at least in the movie version.

Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 54105/31/2013

Alyson Reed was an excellent Sally Bowles in that revival. It was the rest of the show and direction that just wasn't any good.

by Anonymousreply 54206/01/2013

And that Cabaret revival had Nora Mae Lyng!

THAT woman is funny.

by Anonymousreply 54306/01/2013

I asked this a while back but didn't get a response. Does anyone know which numbers are going to be featured on the Tony Awards broadcast?

by Anonymousreply 54406/01/2013

R541, Babs never won a BAFTA. I think she may have been nominated once but that's no indicator of her acting talent. FFS they even nominated that Indian chick from Slumdog for Supporting Actress a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 54506/01/2013

Plus, John Wayne won an Oscar for Best Actor - over Richard Burton, Dustin Hoffman, Peter O'Toole, Jon Voight.

Streisand won because she was blazing hot, and was clearly going to be a big movie star who could open a film, not because she was the best. That would be Joanne Woodward in Rachel, Rachel, and if it had to be a tie, it should have been Woodward tying with Hepburn, not Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 54606/01/2013

1968 was an amazing year for Best Actress with Streisand, Hepburn, Woodward, Neal and Redgrave. Streisand won because of her talent and because, for one of the only times, she listened to the director William Wyler who, along with cameraman Harry Stradling, basically built the whole film around her amazing performance. It wasn't about filming her stage performance but making it a genuine film. A tie with Woodward would have been just fine but, sorry, there's no denying Streisand the award that year.

by Anonymousreply 54706/01/2013

[quote] A tie with Woodward would have been just fine

What am I, chopped livah?

by Anonymousreply 54806/01/2013

Sorry, Streibots, but she won for being a performer on the verge of being a huge star. Her acting couldn't hold up to any of the four ladies she was nominated against.

All the supporting actresses that year gave better acting performances than Streisand, too.

by Anonymousreply 54906/01/2013

Loved watching Michael Riedel - whose alcoholic bloat is really starting to show now that he's in deep middle age - practically creaming himself as he interviewed Brit cutie Augustus Prew.

by Anonymousreply 55006/01/2013

Why do so many threads that have absolutely nothing to do with Barbra Streisand end up as threads bashing Barbra Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 55106/01/2013

Because Barbra is easy prey for the killers on DL.

by Anonymousreply 55206/01/2013

[quote]can anyone explain to me why we don't see Sandy Duncan more, in any medium (stage, screen, or TV)? Does she have enough money that she doesn't have to work, and is therefore really picky?

I'll keep an eye out for her.

by Anonymousreply 55306/01/2013

WEHT Nora Mae Lyng?

by Anonymousreply 55406/01/2013

r554 I believe she is a realtor in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 55506/01/2013

Funny. Emma Stone is out of the Cabaret revival. Did anyone actually know she was supposed to be in it?

by Anonymousreply 55606/01/2013

You just can't beat the real mlop........

The will have to add that to the announcements at the beginning.

That happened during BIG MEAL The entire first row a group had their feet on the stage most of the show, the cast had to deal with this and were worried because one of the performers had to walk in the dark on that part of the stage with a tray full of props. (I was in the second row behind this all) fell asleep for most of the second part of the show, there was no intermission and you can hear him sleeping. Anita Gillette had to recite a huge monologue in front of him and was having such a hard time. After the show I said something to the family about the sleeping man, and they said he does it all the time. In that case, don't sit in the front row and distract the performers. It was horrendous and none of the family apologized.

Sublime!

by Anonymousreply 55706/01/2013

Saw Nora Mae perform a few months ago at a tribute to Jule Styne at Pace University. She is still a powerhouse performer, hysterical and looked gorgeous. Was a fabulous show. Vivienne Reed was in it too and she still has incredible chops and she looks just as gorgeous as she did 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 55806/01/2013

r536 - one mistake was splitting the Sid Caesar roles between Garber and James Coco (although Coco as priceless as Garber's rich bitch mother!)

by Anonymousreply 55906/01/2013

R559, How was the female lead? She was the new hot thing after Gemini and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 56006/01/2013

Liza was not playing Liza in Cabaret. Liza has been playing her cabaret persona for the most part since then, but Liza in Cabaret was completely different from the Liza that people were used to before.

And she won the Oscar that year. Haworth wasn't even nominated for the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 56106/01/2013

r544 no one responded yet because nothing has been decided and announced, except for the confirmation that Drood would not get a number.

by Anonymousreply 56206/01/2013

And Christmas Story and Motown will be performing, but we don't know what yet, R544.

by Anonymousreply 56306/01/2013

If Christmas Story is flying in Caroline O'Connor from Australia it must be "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" plus other little bits.

They're smart to put Luke Spring and Caroline and those kids out there tapping- they'll bring the house down-plus it's not on the album.

by Anonymousreply 56406/01/2013

Caroline O'Connor recently did another production of Gypsy in Australia. Broadway Revival this instant!

by Anonymousreply 56506/01/2013

Oh Cr-a-a-a-p. Not another Gypsy. Yet. Maybe by the time Lilla Crawford is ready for the role, but not a minute before. P-u-h-l-e-e-e-ze.

by Anonymousreply 56606/01/2013

Article about "Sleepless in Seattle-The Musical" at the Pasadena Playhouse.

by Anonymousreply 56706/01/2013

Jean Stapleton and Helen Hanft both DEAD today?

by Anonymousreply 56806/01/2013

R523, I'm kinda digging Alyson Reed in this clip.

by Anonymousreply 56906/01/2013

Hey R536 or R559! I've known about the song "Little Me" for years, but I don't really know they story. Why do the Belles sing, "Who will make you sorry? Wait and see Mrs. Eggleston." What are they talking about? What's the plot point?

by Anonymousreply 57006/01/2013

How typical of the NY Times not to have a Jean Stapleton obituary online! Both the Chicago Tribune and the L.A. Times got there first. All the news that's fit we don't print. Tsk. Tsk.

by Anonymousreply 57106/01/2013

Reed missed a ton of performances in Cabaret. I saw her u.s who, eventually, took over the role.

That revival was a dud. They added more material for Joel Grey to make the part of the Emcee bigger (since Grey was the main draw) which made a long show even longer.

Greg Edelman was a great big yawn though they did give him a nice song 'Don't Go.'

Regina Resnick was a great Fraulein Schneider.

by Anonymousreply 57206/01/2013

I always confused Helen Hanft with Selma Diamond.

And then there was the woman who wrote 84 Charing Cross Road...Helen Hanff.

I say this here because I'm not sure Helen will merit her own DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 57406/01/2013

Belle is from Drifter's Row, the wrong part of town, and meets Noble Eggleston, the richest, most popular boy in town. They fall instantly in love, but Noble's mother will not let them marry until Belle acquires 'wealth, culture and social position'. In its original position in the show, fairly late in Act Two, Older and Younger Belle sing "Little Me" to each other, just before Younger Belle sets off to Monte Carlo to acquire social position.

by Anonymousreply 57506/01/2013

Streisand cannot act. Period. She plays with her fingernails and hair on screen and stage - and that hardly qualifies as acting. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 57606/01/2013

I will be bring Gypsy to Broadway. If I'm bothered.

by Anonymousreply 57706/01/2013

Oh Imelda. You will be bring Gypsy to Broadway? And then 23 people will be attend... Help.

by Anonymousreply 57806/01/2013

Wow! Wow! Wow! Barbra Streisand from tonight's London concert. She sounds amazing! On a Clear Day

by Anonymousreply 57906/01/2013

That post wasn't me (Imelda). It was mlop. I speak the Queen's English.

by Anonymousreply 58006/01/2013

Thanks, (R579) The Enough is Enough clip is even better. She belted "Simply Shout" on a C and sounded darn good. That's the Gypsy money note you know.

Lay down those Gypsy tracks, pronto, Barbra!

by Anonymousreply 58106/01/2013

No, R576, it's not the end of the discussion because you say it is. Obviously your mother was scared by a Jewish comedienne when you were sucking on her tits.

by Anonymousreply 58206/01/2013

We're not here to discuss Streisand ad nauseam. Isn't there a Streisand thread all you Streibots can take your discussion to?

by Anonymousreply 58306/01/2013

Oh, all right. I'll dish real dirt. If someone sends me the $18, I'll start a Streisand thread. And I'll bet it'll get to 600 before this one does!

by Anonymousreply 58406/01/2013

Lainie, are you really such a feeble-minded idiot that you can't search and find another Streisand thread to bump?

I mean, we know you must be living in your mother's basement - why else would you not be able to afford 18 bucks? I know, that's a day's worth of Krispy Kremes, but still, try searching. That's free.

by Anonymousreply 58606/02/2013

She sounds incredible! More songs from tonight in London, please.

by Anonymousreply 58706/02/2013

[quote]It is hard to go back to what you once were and recreate the magic.

Don't remind us.

by Anonymousreply 58806/02/2013

[quote]Obviously your mother was scared by a Jewish comedienne when you were sucking on her tits.

Oh sure, blame it on me.

by Anonymousreply 58906/02/2013

Is Barbra wearing a Mama Rose caftan in the People clip from London?

by Anonymousreply 59006/02/2013

572, Alyson Reed missed few performances of CABARET. Her understudy Mary Munger took over the part for the last 8 weeks or so.

In the post-Broadway tour, Nancy Ringham played the part (and she missed almost no performances, if any.)

Regina Resnik was magnificent and Nora Mae Lyng was the best Fraulein Kost ever.... she should have gotten the Tony Award that Peg Murray won in 1966 with less skill. Peg Murray replaced Regina Resnik for a short while during Resnik's vacation -- with far less skill, and I wouldn't call it a big box office bump. "Someone nobody remembers from 1966 is doing a different part in 1987!" The Weisslers hadn't learned their stunt casting thing yet, which they did on GREASE.

by Anonymousreply 59106/02/2013

Here you go (R585).

Enough IS Enough!

by Anonymousreply 59206/02/2013

Watched a bootleg of the 1983 ON YOUR TOES (George S. Irving, Lara Teeter, Dina Merrill, Christine Andreas) last night. I found this clip on bluegobo "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" ballet. Ballet star Natalia Markarova won the Tony Award that year for Best Actress in a musical without singing a note. Hell of a dancer though. Other than Margaret Illman in the flop THE RED SHOES, are there any other instances where the lead in a musical didn't sing a single note?

by Anonymousreply 59306/02/2013

Margaret Illman didn't sing? I could have sworn that she did.

by Anonymousreply 59406/02/2013

Did I sing a single note?

by Anonymousreply 59506/02/2013

Any news/naked photos of Orion Griffiths of Pippin? He can't act or sing....but he's really hot.

by Anonymousreply 59606/02/2013

Streisand sounds like crap in those London youtube links. You Barbots are deluded.

by Anonymousreply 59706/02/2013

DO BLACK PATENT LEATHER SHOES REALLY REFLECT UP?

by Anonymousreply 59806/02/2013

I'm totally indifferent to Barbra. I'm not a fan, but not not one, either. And she sounds terrible in those clips. She's flat many times, and just doesn't seem to connect with the lyrics. I'll give her a pass, though: her monitors may have been a little off, and people are going to hold her to impossibly high standards. She used to be able to sing anything well, but she's past her prime. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 59906/02/2013

Serious question....

Anyone know if there are any plans to record HANDS ON A HARDBODY?

I thought a handful of the songs were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 60006/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.