Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd now Supports Same-Sex Marriage

This is big news in Australia - as the current Australian Prime Minister (Julia Gillard) has repeatedly said that she opposes same-sex marriage and the current leader of the opposition (Tony Abbott) also opposes same-sex marriage.

Interesting (and very sad) to see the hatred in the comments that people have made in response to Kevin Rudd's blog.

by Anonymousreply 13807/01/2013

Is he Paul's brother?

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

It's big news but it won't do much for equality in Australia.

Kevin Rudd was PM from 2007 to 2010, there was speculation he would retake leadership of Labor in time for the next general election in September, but he hasn't and Julia Gillard (who is against marriage equality for seemingly no reason) is extremely unpopular.

Tony Abbott who is adamantly against marriage equality and his right wing Liberal-National Coalition are set to win big in the next election making Abbott the next PM.

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

[quote] It's big news but it won't do much for equality in Australia.

Another marriage equality bill is expected to go before the Parliament in the next few weeks. Rudd's vote will changed the position by two votes (one more for, one less against). If a strong Christian like Rudd votes for marriage equality, then others are likely to follow.

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

A little to fucking late now.

I LOVE when these assholes come out to support us when they have nothing to lose.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Me too. Stupid late-to-the-party dicks!

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

We're not going to see marriage equality from this parliament or the next, the most recent vote on the issue (in September 2012) was 98 against to 42 in favor. Good for Kevin and I hope he causes other Labor MPs to change their minds but there's no way another marriage equality bill would pass this parliament.

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

Gillard has GOT to go.

She's aligning Australia militarily with China, has an aggressive anti-U.S. and anti-Western Europe stance on most issues, goes on and on and on about creating a strategic alliance with the Chinese, etc.

I swear to God I think the woman is some plant. She's even outsourcing many of the government's defense spending to the Chinese. All very risky stuff especially since the Chinese make no secrets about wanting to annex the Pacific region.

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

While their New Zealand neighbours clearly think themselves culturally superior to their Aussie neighbours, Australia is not really like Texas outside of maybe Queensland and Western Australia, certainly not Sydney and Melbourne anyway!

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

Australia was formed as a British Penal Colony (where they shipped the prisoners, too nasty to stay in England). So you know what quality of gene pool you are dealing with here!

New Zealanders are so far beyond Australians in intelligence and civility, it is almost comical.

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

Well I have seen some Australian men!I guess they changed his mind.

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

The outback can be a very dangerous place, and we are not talking about the wild animals, which can also be dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

R7 The Pommie commie. The woman is an immigrant to Australia and doesn't have it's best interests at heart. Give the US founding fathers some credit , the native born American requirement to become President was for a reason. In Australia, they have a cunt who was part of a coup d'etat against a PM (Rudd) who had a decent economy humming along when the world was in a recession. Gillard also seems to be closeted so her stance against gay marriage is hypocritical.

R12 The overwhelming majority of Australians live in urban/suburban areas not the outback.

R9 New Zealand is a neighbor?! It's 1350 miles away from Australia. It's the other way around in terms of cultural superiority. There are many people who move to Australia for more opportunities work wise.Australia is far more ethnically diverse than NZ is as well. I like Kiwis but Australians are more direct.Aussies are more like New Yorkers however just a little more polite!

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

I have Aussie relatives down in Sydney and I love them. The Aussies are good friends to Americans and our two societies share a very close bond.

That said, I have routinely experienced obnoxious, rude, crass and even xenophobic Aussies, so much in fact, it's routine, at least for me.

I spend a bit of time there and even spent a month in Russia with an entire group of Aussies, most of whom live/lived in London because migrating to London for a few years is a sort of rite of passage for many younger, college educated Aussies because they can work there easily.

That month I spent with about 40 of them had endless moments of obnoxious, rude acts; just generally socially rude people. Constantly drunk and out of control. The ages ranged from late twenties to late 50s so it isn't like they were some super young, fresh out of school crowd.

While they're okay at home, I generally experience many Australians to be the stereotype many Americans are stuck with, even though it's no longer so universally accurate: crass, obnoxious, rude, etc.

By contrast, my time in NZ and the people from there I've met have had me fall in love with them. The country itself is very kind, progressive, but also passive in it's progressiveness. They embraced gay marriage a while back and they're just overall a very kind, sweet people.

I love you Australians but you're definitely in a class by yourselves. Maybe that whole prisoner colony thing in the DNA has a little accuracy to it.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

How very Bill Clinton of him. Wait til you are irrelevant

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

It's always the "formers" worried about their image who support us never the ones in power desperate to stay in power. Yes Bill DOMA DADT Clinton, I'm talking about your lame bigoted ass.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

R14 My family is from OZ and if one stays in Alabama for a month you can find the same type of people. Better yet what is their equivalent of South Central LA? Aussies aren't that bad. Kiwis are more reserved, they are more like The British.Aussies are more brash. It's kind of like the difference between Americans and Canadians EXCEPT that the US and Canada share a border.So in that regard the closeness makes the difference and commonality between the US and Canada that much more glaring and/or obvious.In addition,for those of us from states bordering Canada usually will have relatives in Montreal or Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

No one buys the unmarried and admitted atheist Gillard being against gay marriage. It was just one of the promises she had to make to the party right faction in exchange for their support, which was key to her toppling of Rudd and keeping her propped up as leader to this day. As soon as she's out of office I fully expect her to reverse her stance on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

Exactly right R18. It's also as she is shit scared to lose fundamentalist Christian/Muslim votes.

I don't think we should criticise her too much though given what is headed our way in September. Gillard did allow a conscious vote for her party members in Parliament when gay narriage was recently voted on, unlike the opposition. If both sides had allowed a conscious vote gay marriage might be legal now.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

[quote]Australia was formed as a British Penal Colony (where they shipped the prisoners, too nasty to stay in England). So you know what quality of gene pool you are dealing with here!

Very nasty indeed ! (You must be a Kiwi). Most convicts were transported for petty thieving. And most of those probably stole to stay alive.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

I'm more than prepared to criticise Gillard. Almost all the political problems she is facing today is a result of people finding her completely insincere. Internationally, Australia is doing amazingly well, and the ALP shouldn't be in the polling doldrums that it is. It pisses me off no end that we'll end up with Prime MInister Abbott in no small part due to her inability to lead. Every word that comes out of her mouth is so scripted and pre-prepared it's unbearable.

The marriage issue is a prime case in point. I challenge anyone to find an unmarried feminist atheist woman on the political left who opposes marriage equality. It's bullshit. You could tell she thought she was on a winner when she opposed it so fervently with her "cultural traditionalist" bullshit. She thought she'd dodged a bullet, and then public opinion moved in the opposite direction and now she's stuck. She didn't even leave herself in a position to "evolve" on the issue.

Thankfully we can safely cast a vote for third parties in Australia and not have it wasted. Definitely looking forward to voting Green and hope they get the balance of power in the senate.

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

Shrewd move by Judd. Hopefully, he will challenge Gilliard for leader.

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

[quote]The marriage issue is a prime case in point. I challenge anyone to find an unmarried feminist atheist woman on the political left who opposes marriage equality.

Yes, you're right. She is a fake through and through. So depressing. She was never prime ministerial material - no vision and gutless - good deputy and that's where she should have stayed.

Rudd may have been hard to work with but I don't think that was a good enough reason to stab him in the back. Now we've got 4/8/who knows years of right winged lunacy to live with.

Yes, I'll vote Green as well.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

KRudd is far from irrelevant; he's likely to be reinstated to leadership of the Labour Party once Gillard loses the upcoming election and is kicked out of office. He doesn't want to challenge her now and then damage his image by leading Labour to an election loss. The only question then is how long it will take him and Labour to get rid of the disaster-in-waiting that is Tony Abbott. It could be several terms of small minded conservative government before Labour get back in power.

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

I don't think KRudd will return. His party colleagues hate him too much (people like Fitzgibbon would rather lose the election than have Rudd as leader of the Labor Party). After the election I suspect they'll give Shorten or Combet a go.

If the last spill hadn't happened, and people had kept their heads just a little longer I think Rudd would have eventually acquired the numbers, but too late now.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

[quote]I love you Australians but you're definitely in a class by yourselves. Maybe that whole prisoner colony thing in the DNA has a little accuracy to it.

There is such a thing as "the ugly Australian" and sounds like you've met one or two or 30 of these in your time, but I disagree about the convict/DNA thing. Convicts were rarely transported to Australia for serious crimes like murder and rape. The most common crime was theft which arose from poverty and the need to put food on the table. As far as I know Australia doesn't lead the world in bank robberies and shoplifting.

At last count I have 5 convict ancestors, yet no one in the extended family is in trouble with the law apart from the usual parking tickets and speeding. Very boring. A few alcoholics/drug abusers but what family doesn't have them.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

Given the present polls Shorten may get the job before the election as ALP MPs look like losing their jobs and the ALP barons may tell Gillard to walk as a result! He may not be Rudd, but he is not Gillard either and that could be enough against Abbott (he is also pro equal marriage).

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

13 Well NZ is the closest neighbour Australia has, and while Australia has bigger cities and a larger economy which attracts Kiwis, Kiwis still think themselves more intelligent and refined than the Aussies!

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

[quote] Gillard also seems to be closeted so her stance against gay marriage is hypocritical.

Gillard is NOT a lesbian.

(Thank goodness!)

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

[quote] Gillard did allow a conscious vote for her party members in Parliament when gay narriage was recently voted on, unlike the opposition.

The Australian Labor Party's national platform (policy) supports same-sex marriage.

By allowing a conscience vote, Prime Minister Gillard and some of her Labor Party colleauges were able to vote against the same-sex bill when it was put to the vote in parliament (even though the ALP platform supported it).

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

Lol at R8 and the rest of the Yanks on this thread comparing Australia to the backwater US red states.

Yeah, we're JUST like Texas, what with our universal healthcare system, our legal abortion and our strict gun control laws, all of which even right-wing parties daren't oppose.

Let's face it, when it comes to crazy conservatism, the right in Australia has nothing on what passes for mainstream right-wing rhetoric in the States.

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

[quote]She's aligning Australia militarily with China, has an aggressive anti-U.S. and anti-Western Europe stance on most issues, goes on and on and on about creating a strategic alliance with the Chinese, etc.

[quote]I swear to God I think the woman is some plant. She's even outsourcing many of the government's defense spending to the Chinese. All very risky stuff especially since the Chinese make no secrets about wanting to annex the Pacific region.

Well, this is quite frightening. I didn't know about this. Well, of course the U.S. press tends to not cover much outside our borders. I wonder if the U.S. has initiated any diplomacy with Australia to keep on eye on it.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

Perhaps she has foresight r7. And the Chinese aren't really that dangerous and destructive as the Americans, if you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

Let me clear up a few things- We in America need to stop pointing to other nations and saying look how conservative THEY are. The horrible truth is, we're one of the most conservative western nations in the world. Eg -what happened in Texas r8, with the Lesbian couple who were ordered to live apart, couldn't/wouldn't happen in many other western nations. In Australia for example although same sex marriage is still being debated, in every other sense gay Australian couples have the same rights as heterosexual couple. A gay union is recognized as a real union. What infuriates Australians is that their Prime Minister, who is atheist and lives with her boyfriend, pretends she doesn't support gay marriage. Who she is afraid of is unclear. A recent poll made it clear that most Australians are in favor of gay marriage including many Christians. Fundamentalist christians, like the type that exist in America, are far and few between and hold so little power that they have little influence. Muslims make up less than 1% of the population and don't care about "secular" marriage.

So yes, Kevin Rudd believes in same sex marriage, but so do many other politicians in Australia. And despite Julia Gillards failure to support gay marriage keep in mind that gillard doesn't really believe in marriage at all. I'm Im not saying that makes it right, I'm just saying.

I thought I'd add my two cents because knowing this stuff is part of job, not to cause controversy. It's just these sorts of threads usually end up so full of misinformation they're worthless in terms of accurate info.

The truth sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Binge drinking is a problem throughout the western world and certainly many aussies drink a lot. If you think kiwis are much different then you clearly haven't met many because they are notorious boozers.

There's even a joke about it:

AMERICANS like to take a [italic]short rest[/italic] between drinks, whereas

AUSTRALIANS like to take a [italic]small drink[/italic] between drinks, however

NEW ZEALANDERS don't believe there is such a thing as being [italic]between[/italic] drinks.

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

[quote] And despite Julia Gillards failure to support gay marriage keep in mind that gillard doesn't really believe in marriage at all.

That's not correct - Prime Minister Gillard does support marriage - she's said that repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

You're right r36, I was trying to cut my rant down and I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I should have said that she doesn't believe in marriage at all for herself. And frankly, I don't believe she doesn't believe in gay marriage.I just think she's so unpopular she just wont do anything that may stir up any more controversy. Although, I think, on this issue the labour party has misread the public.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

I can't stand Gillard's accent.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

EVEN someone as hopelessly unco-ordinated as myself knows dancing is all about timing. Outside the dance floor, it's hard to find anyone with more impeccable timing than Kevin Rudd.

From his conveniently staged YouTube-ready home videos, campaign T-shirt competitions and casual breaching of cabinet confidentiality on national television, the former PM's self-promotion is invariably handled with meticulous precision.

So it's hard not to be cynical about his sudden epiphany over legalising same-sex marriage.

With all due respect to the good people of Griffith, surely his show of leadership might have been a little more useful when he was actually prime minister rather than a lowly backbencher.

He wouldn't be the first politician to stumble upon his backbone only after he lost his job.

Alienating a few voters isn't such a risky venture when there's nothing left to lose.

After the disastrous Simon Crean designed leadership spill in March effectively put an end to his claw-back-to-the-top ambitions, the Member for Griffith certainly fits that category.

Now, despite having reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage and voting against it as recently as last September, Rudd has seen fit to reverse his position.

In doing so he has reclaimed the limelight and served to illuminate how Prime Minister Julia Gillard has so foolishly painted herself into a corner with her own hollow objections to amending the Marriage Act.

A move that provides him with renewed relevancy and delivers a political smack to his nemesis in the process? It's amazing Rudd restrained himself until now.

He is not the only wily politician to choose his moment carefully.

This time last year Barack Obama decided to go public with his own "evolution" - becoming the first US president to openly support marriage equality - followed by The Woman Most Likely To Run in 2016, Hillary Rodham Clinton, releasing her own endorsement earlier this year.

Considering himself a rightful peer of these global figures, former foreign minister Rudd no doubt observed these "evolutions" more keenly than most.

Yet there have been questions as to how genuine such conversions truly were, with Obama telling a Chicago newspaper of his "unequivocal support for gay marriage" as far back as 1996.

by Anonymousreply 3905/22/2013

R28 NZ is more backwaterish than Australia is.Australia is far more diverse ethnically and is more like America is some sense. Kiwis are South Sea Pommies though!Neighbor? Nah, Canada is a neighbor to America, NZ and Australia is a distant relative far more than a thousand miles away!

R29 Her partner is a male hairdresser.....hmmm sounds straight to me!? The key word in that sentence was "seems". No matter she still pings to me.She's still a Pommie cunt as well!

R33 you are insane.Do you realize that China is a dictatorship? Have you ever been there before? The lack of freedom there is a disaster for humanity. As an American with Australian roots I find your assertion patently appealing. When you follow a dictatorship like China for its continued occupation of Tibet and its religious persecution you are following a tainted leader.

by Anonymousreply 4005/22/2013

34 - Truth is the US is THE most conservative western nation, with Texas being one of the most conservative parts. If you are conservative and want to move somewhere more conservative in any Western nation then you go to the US. On the other hand, Scandinavia and maybe France are increasingly havens for socialists and liberals to have a nation with something approaching their ideology. Everywhere else is in-between, Australia and Italy may be more conservative in the West but they are still nowhere near as conservative as the US!

by Anonymousreply 4105/22/2013

Let's face It, Kevin Rudd is desperately trying to save the ALP's ass considering Julia is just going to go down with the ship. Rudd is much more popular than Gillard (who is down to a 30% approval rating) so he knows he's his party's only chance at saving seats. Let's also not forget that he's from Queensland, where Labor fell from a majority 51 seats to a pitiful 7 seats at the state election in 2012. A majority of Australians support marriage equality and the Christian bigots are all voting for the Coalition anyway so he's trying to convince the majority (secular voters) that the ALP is still worth supporting.

by Anonymousreply 4205/22/2013

R41HYUFD, when you talk about about the US it's like talking about the EU in some sense. Greece is like Alabama,The Northeast is like Germany etc so on. Texas is going to be a majority Democratic state next election BTW.Contrary to what you are saying Texas ain't Alabama or the Deep South either.And the federal system in the US leads to a lot of state to state autonomy. Have you seen the highway system in NJ when you leave NYC? It's like a fucking maze. Long Island in New York State(part of LI is in NYC) has a highway system that is much easier to navigate.

France? I was engaged to a someone from France they are not that liberal socially. They can be very xenophobic and anti-immigrant/anti-Semitic/anti-Muslim in a way that an American could never get away with.Also look at the gay marriage issue there.

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2013

43 True to an extent, but overall the US is the most conservative nation. I was talking about economically for France, socially and economically Scandinavia would generally be more left liberal, although again exceptions apply with free schools etc

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2013

R44 Italy is far more conservative than the USA socially. Where is the fight for marriage equality there? Oh and try booking a room with your husband and/or there without some looks.

How much do Swedes love their Muslim immigrants? They are terribly integrated there, as they are in France. On the other hand, Muslims have been integrated very successfully in the US. They aren't shut out of jobs and are not marginalized in America.

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2013

HYUFD - If you put R before the number of a post, you'll get a link back to the post.

So 44, won't link.

But R44 (with no spaces, no brackets), will link.

by Anonymousreply 4605/22/2013

Not even in Italy, the home of millions of Catholics, is creationism taught in any of their schools. In fact, the catholic church believes in evolution. So as I've said before, Americans need to stop pointing at other nations and declaring "look how conservative THEY are". We need to start looking at ourselves and start saying "what do we need to do to reverse this tide of kooky conservatism that's sweeping parts of our country"

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2013

r41 Texas is hardly the most conservative part in the US. Mississippi, Alabama, Utah are far more conservative. Where are you getting you facts?? Are you even American??

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2013

r47 I agree. But I do think at times Americans exaggerate the progressiveness of other countries. But yes the US is far more conservative socially and economically than of all western countries.

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2013

There has never been a thread about Australia on the DL that has not turned into a "Australia vs. USA: which is more conservative???" argument. Can we please just have an Australia thread about Australia, and not involve the USA, if you want to fight over how American conservatism compares to other countries just make a new thread all about that.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2013

If you thought America was misogynistic and homophobic, you ain't see nothing until you've lived in Australia!

by Anonymousreply 5105/22/2013

Rudd is also protecting his own legacy. He's cluey enough to know the tide is turning, and that despite Gillard's almost certain mea culpa about how she regrets not backing marriage equality only a few years away, Rudd wants to be remembered as the kind of social conservative prepared to respect the views of others.

Although their is definitely room for cynicism - I'm sure he's raised the issue to make Gillard squirm, and why shouldn't he? - Rudd has always been a man where it's all about him.

I remember teaching students about the White Australia Policy, and Arthur Calwell's "two Wongs don't make a white" speech, which today's students can't believe. It will be the same in a few decades - Gillard will be remembered for being a hypocrite, whereas Rudd's about face will be remembered more positively.

Still, I'm so disillusioned with Australian politics. I hated Howard, then Rudd came along and I hated him, and now we've got Gillard and I've hated her. At least I know I won't be disillusioned with Abbot - I know I'll hate him. I had higher hopes for Gillard - I can't believe how awful she's been.

I hope this election decimates the ALP and they completely restructure the party. The factional and union influences are ruining it.

by Anonymousreply 5205/23/2013

R47 What are you babbling on about? In Italy very few people live together before marriage relative to other countries. Marriage equality is far from a reality. In addition, there are crosses in public Italian schools!Have you ever been to Southern Italy? There's an old expression that says that Italy's head is stuck in Europe and it's ass in The Middle East!

BTW I went to school in America and I wasn't taught creationism.

R52 The sad thing with Rudd is that the coup d'etat against him was a joke to begin with. There was no need to fix something that wasn't broken.Gillard was an unnecessary evil.

My family came from the"Old Australia" where Asians were not rare one could say they were non existent where my folks are from. Greeks and Italians were there BUT people were not eating their food yet. There was still a big pull to Australia's Anglo-Celtic roots.Now that's all changed.Yes the guys are still mates and the like BUT Australia's become different. The hayseed/yahoo is the exception and not the rule there.

by Anonymousreply 5305/23/2013

"Very nasty indeed! (You must be a Kiwi). Most convicts were transported for petty thieving"

Read Bill Bryson's "Down Under" - you would not believe what people were transported (essentially a life sentence) for...

by Anonymousreply 5405/23/2013

Italy, Japan, and Greece are much more conservative than the United States.

by Anonymousreply 5505/23/2013

Not a bad time to point out, while the US Congress is considering an immigration package that excludes same sex partnerships, that Australia treats same sex relationships equally for immigration purposes, and for all other laws.

More conservative than Texas? That's a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5605/23/2013

R56 Even still Texas is not that conservative! Have you ever been to Alabama? I can tell you there is literally no place like Austin in Alabama.Dallas is no small city.For the next presidential election,Texas will become a blue(Democratic state) as well.

R55 You hit the nail on the head with that one.Even so there are more liberal areas in the US like The Northeast, The West Coast and Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 5705/23/2013

48 I said ONE of the most conservative parts, and considering it has not voted for a Democrat since Carter you can hardly call Texas a liberal, Democratic state (I am also British not American)

by Anonymousreply 5805/23/2013

45 I never included Italy as a left leaning liberal nation, it is more in the middle economically maybe a bit more conservative socially but it still does not have a religious right on the scale of the US despite being the home of the Catholic Church

by Anonymousreply 5905/23/2013

45 Sweden opposed the war in Iraq as did France, neither nation may have a perfect record in immigration and both have far right parties but if you look at the Tea Party's recent record on immigration they are becoming the US far right in many respects!

by Anonymousreply 6005/23/2013

[R51] I assume you have never been to Mardi Gras in Sydney then? Outside of the outback, Queensland and Western Australia, Australia is relatively socially liberal and national polls clearly show most Australians now back gay marriage

by Anonymousreply 6105/23/2013

[55]Greece, Italy and Japan have universal healthcare and they all have a higher top rate of tax than the US

by Anonymousreply 6205/23/2013

R58 I knew that you weren't an American. You can't simply judge a state by just what President it votes for.From Carter's time, they've had three Democratic governors!And three Republican governors. That distinction is important because in the American federal system states have great leeway in local governance which extends to the county level here. Have you been to Texas? It seems like you haven't. They have elected Democratic governors there so not everyone is a right wing fascist or a cow poke. In terms of integration, Many Mexican Americans and African Americans are pretty well integrated for that part of the US. Try a right wing attack on immigrants and see how well you do in state elections there.

My family is from Australia and there are certainly homophobes there like there is in many other places. There are drunks as well. The Australian stereotype has been funnily lampooned on Flight Of The Conchords BUT Kiwis get it wrong even then because they rarely if ever come into contact with real Aussies because of the distance of both countries. Modern Australians are for the most part tolerant and accepting of marriage equality though there are brutes that do oppose it.

Oh Greece is a fucking mess financially and hardly anyone pays taxes there! So what does it matter what rates they have? It's like a libertarian fantasy there. and civic pride, have you seen what a dump Athens is? As For Italy, Southern Italy is probably worse when it come because the Mafia is so powerful in the South and tax evasion is so rampant. Socially, both of those countries are very lax on gay rights/gay marriage. Greeks are downright homophobic for a Western nation. It's funny how they embrace ancient Greece BUT not not the homosex that was part of Ancient Greece!

by Anonymousreply 6305/23/2013

I don't get the comments about Italy and Japan being more conservative than the US. I think those countries must be slightly conservative, but they lack the level of organization by extreme right wingers. There isn't the level of attacks on abortion, gay people, or basic social programs like health insurance in those countries.

I think maybe people there might not support gay marriage, but they aren't homophobic in the sense that the most extreme Christian conservative in the US is.

by Anonymousreply 6405/23/2013

r63 I agree that foreigners perceptions of Texas are hilarious. It is all based on TV and movies. Texas is hardly the most conservative state in the USA. Especially with cities like Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Especially with there science and engineering and universities in that state. Especially with the number of foreign born people and Mexicans(most which are mestizo or indigenous).

I imagine those that say it just can't name other US states(due to general ignorance), so they go for the more well known state. Surely they could conjure up a mention of Mississippi, Kansas, Alabama and such.

by Anonymousreply 6505/23/2013

[63]Technically I have been to Texas, albeit a few hours stop at Dallas airport. A Democrat in Texas is also a different breed from a Democrat nationally and much more conservative, Texas has not had a Democrat governor since 1994 so that argument is beginning to look a bit past it anyway. Also, what has civic pride got to do with how conservative a nation is? Clutching at straws I think. The Mafia presence is not really a right-wing/left-wing argument either and the Mafia are present in the US too. The Texas legislature is also solidly Republican, with the GOP holding both the House and Senate!

by Anonymousreply 6605/23/2013

[65] - Texas is the largest conservative state, I did not say it was the ONLY conservative state, but as it is the largest it will clearly be the most well known. But only 13 states have voted consistently for the GOP since 1976 out of the 50 states plus DC, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas. As Texas is by far the largest of those states by population and landmass it is the most obvious example of a conservative state!

by Anonymousreply 6705/23/2013

Voting for Tony Abbott because you hate Julia Gillard is like eating shit because you hate spinach.

by Anonymousreply 6805/23/2013

Who says I'm voting for Tony Abbott because I hate Gillard? I'll definitely be voting Green first, but I'll preference Labor second just because the local candidate is better.

I wont shed a tear if Labor is decimated at the election. If the Greens have balance of power in the senate then the Coalition is limited from doing anything too drastic, and it might give Labor the opportunity to renew itself because it's definitely needed. Outside of industrial relations there's very little to distinguish Labor from the Coalition.

by Anonymousreply 6905/24/2013

Julia is out and Kevin is in!

by Anonymousreply 7006/26/2013

They're still going to lose to the budgie-smuggler, just not by so much. Rudd is a good campaigner. Great to see the back-stabbers get theirs.

by Anonymousreply 7106/26/2013

Delighted! Also, I recently learned that he was the inventor of Twining's "Australian Afternoon Tea" blend (he won a contest). Good on ya!

by Anonymousreply 7206/26/2013

He's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7306/26/2013

Watching Labor cling to Julia all these months was like watching Leonardo Dicaprio cling to the side of that floating door in Titanic.

I generally like Kevin and I'm happy that the Labor leader is now someone who is pro marriage equality.

Unfortunately, Tony Abbott is still going to win, but at least Labor will be a more formidable opponent and the election will be interesting instead of just an outright massacre.

by Anonymousreply 7406/26/2013

71 It could be very tight, a snap Morgan poll has it 49.5-50.5 and PMs have been re-elected despite losing by that margin because they have done better in the marginals, as Rudd could hope to do in Queensland. An earlier hypothetical Nielsen poll had it 50-50, all to play for!

by Anonymousreply 7506/26/2013

Julia is the closeted cunt who opposes same sex marriage, isn't she? I think her beard is a hairdresser.

by Anonymousreply 7606/26/2013

Julia says she's leaving politics. Good riddance to the homophobic bitch.

A reporter got fired recently for asking if her beautician boyfriend is gay.

by Anonymousreply 7706/27/2013

Julia Gillard is an absolute CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 7806/27/2013

I'm an American, all I know about Julia Gillard comes from watching her takedown of Tony Abbott on the floor of Parliament for his misogyny, and she was masterly - there isn't a single female politician in Washington who could have done that so well.

But whatever. What's this about budgie-smuggling?

by Anonymousreply 7906/27/2013

He won't backtrack in his support, will he?

I'd like to know, too.

by Anonymousreply 8006/27/2013

"budgie smuggling" Wearing speedos that make a man's package look like her is try to smuggle small birds. Budgie = Budgerigar

by Anonymousreply 8106/27/2013

Uh, Tony Abbott is kind of hot, isn't he? I mean, apart from his politics. Is it worth doing a search for said pics of budgie-smuggling?

by Anonymousreply 8206/27/2013
by Anonymousreply 8306/27/2013

[quote] Budgie = Budgerigar

= a Parakeet in the US

by Anonymousreply 8406/27/2013

R82, there is NOTHING hot about Tony Abbott, but you can find those speedo pictures in about 10 seconds with a google search, although don't do it if you've just eaten.

by Anonymousreply 8506/27/2013

A Liberal party supporter penned a mock menu for a fundraiser which promised to serve up "Julia Gillard Kentucky Fried Quail: Small Breasts, Huge Thighs and a Big Red Box".

by Anonymousreply 8606/27/2013

The ousting of Julia Gillard spells doom for Australia. No matter what you thought of her, Rudd is going to sink, not only his party, but the country into the ground. He's completely incompetent. Aussies on the left are not happy with these developments as a whole. Many who were not happy with Gillard's policies, are not only outraged by what's happened, but have also found sympathy Julia for the way she was treated by the media.

by Anonymousreply 8706/27/2013

[quote]A Liberal party supporter penned a mock menu for a fundraiser which promised to serve up "Julia Gillard Kentucky Fried Quail: Small Breasts, Huge Thighs and a Big Red Box".

Australia is full of misogyny and homophobia. You think the US is bad!

by Anonymousreply 8806/27/2013

Labour's not going to last. This is it for them. Abbott wins every poll. Now that Rudd's taken over, the opposition is still expected to take over in the next election. There was no reason to get rid of Julia. This just makes Labour look worse, and Rudd's leadership ensures unemployment. I just don't get what they were thinking. Abbott is pouring champagne. More Aussies are now going to vote for the opposition than ever before. Oh, well. The world is becoming more and more Right wing, while America weirdly keeps swinging more and more to the Left. lol

by Anonymousreply 8906/27/2013

R87 Gillard is a backstabbing cunt. Pure and simple. Her coup d'etat was a case of fixing something that wasn't broken. She deserved her downfall just for the shitty way she rose to the top. I feel good for Rudd, I'm glad he's taken what's rightfully his from the Pommie Commie!

R89 There was no reason to get rid of Rudd in the first place, so this is karma. She got what she gave. Good riddance I say.

by Anonymousreply 9006/27/2013

Australia is terribly behind in most areas. If Abbot makes the race it will fall behind even more, esp since he is a shady, misogynist, racist politician. Hopefully Rudd will make it! He seems to be the only candidate who won't be an embarrassment on the international political floor.

by Anonymousreply 9106/27/2013

I thought it was well known that Julia Gillard was a lesbian. She even had a gay "boyfriend". What am I missing here?

by Anonymousreply 9206/27/2013

I am originally from the U.K. And have also lived and worked in the U.S. I have lived in Australia for many years and am very happy - recognising our weaknesses. It intrigues me if the anti - OZ posters - e.g. R88, have ever lived or been here? I don't recognise the country they describe. It must be lovely to live in their perfect country. I have always wanted to visit Narnia.

by Anonymousreply 9306/27/2013

All right, R85 is correct, Tony Abbott is clearly in good shape (he even has abs) but he should not wear speedos.

by Anonymousreply 9406/27/2013

Newly re-installed PM Kevin Rudd wants a conscience vote on gay marriage. Tony will again be shown up for the bigot he, and his troglodyte party, are.

by Anonymousreply 9506/27/2013

How evil is Tony Abbott? Those Speedo pictures are so odd - it's like he thinks he's attractive, and wants to flaunt his body. What an odd thing for an elderly politician to do.

by Anonymousreply 9606/27/2013

Abbott will be the most embarrassing PM Australia has ever had.

by Anonymousreply 9706/28/2013

Australia isn't just "Down Under" but just plain "down-and-out" now. Talk about being behind the times.

by Anonymousreply 9806/28/2013

I think it's nice that that man has such an active lifestyle for a septuagenarian. Still, the Australians should tell him not to slip his baby carrot into casual congress - it is unseemly to see such a tiny penis on such an ancient statesman.

by Anonymousreply 9906/28/2013

To all my American friends, I present to you my favourite pair of budgie smugglers...

by Anonymousreply 10006/28/2013

For a reasonably comprehensive (but slightly out of date) view on same-sex rights and debates in Oz:

by Anonymousreply 10106/28/2013

a budgerigar is not a parakeet. They are indigenous to Australia. They are also not very big...think Finch ,but a bit heftier.

by Anonymousreply 10206/28/2013

[quote] Julia is out and Kevin is in!

What R70 means is that Julia Gillard is no longer the Prime Minister of Australia - replaced by Kevin Rudd (the person who she replaced in 2010).

Julia is NOT a lesbian.

I think Kevin (the Australian Labor Party) will win the upcoming election.

by Anonymousreply 10306/28/2013

R66 That doesn't count! You didn't go to any cities,experience the state itself. You have Texas all wrong. It's not New york or California BUT it's not Alabama. Once again try to alienate Mexican-Americans in any way and you will be fucked in that state.

R65 You hit it spot on. I have friends from Texas and I've been there so many times. It is not was wacky as it has been made out to be.

by Anonymousreply 10406/28/2013

"Tony Abbott would still win federal election despite Kevin Rudd's return as Labor leader, new poll reveals"

A NEW opinion poll shows the Coalition still on track for an election win.

The poll of 3000 respondents, taken last night, still has the Opposition leading the Government despite a big improvement in the Labor vote.

The Coalition leads 52-48 per cent after preferences.

If that result was repeated at an election, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott would be able to form government with a comfortable majority of about 20 seats.

Mr Rudd is preferred Prime Minister in the 7News Reachtel poll, leading Mr Abbott 52-48 per cent.

Voters were evenly split on the merits of the Labor leadership change with 44 per cent agreeing with the decision to replace Julia Gillard with Mr Rudd, while 42 per cent disagreed.

It follows a Morgan Poll - conducted in the hours after Mr Rudd won the leadership battle - that showed his return had lifted Labor by five points to a two-party vote of 49.5 compared with 50.5 per cent for the Coalition.

Labor cabinet minister Jason Clare today said Mr Rudd's return as leader had spooked the Coalition, which thought it would have an easy win at the Federal Election.

"The Liberal party has been very cocky for three years; they weren't cocky yesterday,' the Home Affairs Minister told the Nine Network.

"They know now that the fight is on and there's a real competition at the next election.'

Mr Clare said he switched his vote from Ms Gillard to Mr Rudd at Wednesday's leadership ballot because he believed Labor was heading to a massive defeat under her leadership.

"This makes us more competitive. I can tell that just from yesterday in the Parliament.'

Deputy Opposition Leader Julie Bishop said the return of Mr Rudd did not mean the Liberal Party would need to change its tactics.

"Why do we need to change our tactics? We've been expecting this,' Ms Bishop said.

She also disputed the new leader has boosted Labor's chances at the polls.

"I don't accept that because the policies are still the same.'

Carbon tax high on agenda

The results come as business leaders and Victorian voters in the nation's most marginal seat have pleaded for Mr Rudd to call an election now, amid reports he is expected to dump the controversial carbon tax in favour of an emissions trading scheme.

The Daily Telegraph reports that the carbon tax, which is due to rise by $1.15 per tonne to $24.15 next week, will top the agenda when Mr Rudd convenes his first cabinet meeting on Monday.

"This is a priority issue," a source close to Mr Rudd said.

Mr Rudd is widely expected to move forward the end of the fixed carbon price period by a year to 2014 - easing pressure on business, but lowering the money reaped by the scheme.

However, in a signal that he would conduct a consensus government, Mr Rudd indicated to colleagues no changes would be made without approval of the cabinet.

Election date game

Mr Rudd has indicated Ms Gillard's nominated date of September 14 was unlikely because it clashed with Yom Kippur. If it is held earlier that would also mean the controversial local government referendum will be shelved.

Mid to late August were last night seen as the most likely poll dates.

Mr Rudd suggested he would return to the practice of John Howard and others by keeping the date his strategic secret until he was ready but said "it's not going to be a huge variation one way or the other".

Mr Abbott said: "We should have an election as soon as possible because it's really the people's job to choose the Government and the Prime Minister."

Voters in Corangamite, Australia's most marginal seat, also demanded an election.

Business groups warned that patience with the Government's "anti-business policies" was close to breaking point and a poll was needed to get shoppers spending again.

There also was anger in corporate Australia that one of the first pieces of legislation passed under the new PM was a crackdown on 457 visa rules for foreign workers

Business Council chief executive Jennifer Westacott said Mr Rudd had "missed a vital opportunity" to restore business confidence.

Victorian Employers Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Mark Stone said it was time to clear the air and have an election.

"The change in leadership and resignation of a third of the Cabinet will not produce the stability business needs, nor will it reverse the anti-business policies this Parliament has delivered," he said.

Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox said: "The quicker an election date is decided the better it is for the country."

New cabinet

Mr Rudd is due to name his cabinet today, which will include Senator Penny Wong, Science Minister Don Farrell and Defence Minister Stephen Smith - who's planning to retire from politics at the election.

Shadow treasurer Joe Hockey said the Rudd government was already in disarray, with a third of the cabinet having resigned and major policies up in the air.

"This is a joke, it's a bad joke. The Australian people are paying a price, that's the problem,' he told Seven this morning.

Mr Rudd was yesterday sworn in as PM by Governor-General Quentin Bryce at Government House with wife Therese Rein, his children and granddaughter, 1. Anthony Albanese became Deputy PM and Chris Bowen Treasurer.

On her last day in Parliament, Ms Gillard came close to tears as independent Rob Oakeshott said he sent her a message that her late father "would be proud of her."

by Anonymousreply 10506/28/2013

"Kevin Rudd's gay marriage referendum offer dismissed by advocates"

Gay marriage advocates have dismissed Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's offer to hold a referendum into gay marriage if Tony Abbott refuses to allow Coalition members a conscience vote on the issue.

They say any public vote could be used by reform opponents to whip up a fear campaign.

Mr Rudd was once an opponent of marriage equality, but after what he calls a "difficult personal journey", he announced in May that had switched his position.

Already this year, Labor MPs have been allowed to vote with their conscience on questions of gay marriage.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has refused to allow members of the Coalition to do the same, and today, Mr Rudd called on Mr Abbott to change his position.

"Whoever wins the next election, please, let's just have the civility to open this to a conscience vote for all," Mr Rudd said.

"I've indicated publicly where I will go on this, and if he doesn't, then I think we then have to look at other mechanisms including the possibility of recourses to plebiscite or referendum."

Referendum would become 'platform for fear-mongering'

Marriage equality advocates are thrilled the Mr Rudd has spoken about the issue in his first major media event, but do not support his call for a public vote.

Rodney Croome, the national convenor of Australian Marriage equality, said a process of a referendum would be "unnecessarily expensive".

He also said while he believed the majority of Australians would vote for marriage equality, he was concerned was about the process.

"We have consistently opposed a national plebiscite or referendum on marriage equality for a number of reasons," Mr Croome said.

"It could potentially be deeply polarising, becoming a platform for fear-mongering against the gay and lesbian community, and we think that our politicians are elected to make these kinds of decisions, rather than hand-balling them back to the voters.

"It could be quite destructive... particularly for young, same-sex attracted people coming to terms with their sexuality.

"They don't need to see the kind of fear and hate campaigns that I feel would inevitably come out during a referendum."

Mr Croome says overseas examples, including New Zealand and Britain, have shown that the best way forward is the establishment of a cross-party working group on the issue.

But the spokeswoman for the Australian Greens, Sarah Hanson-Young, says the time for talking is over.

"We could make this happen right here on the Parliament floor, but they have to send it to a referendum," Ms Hanson-Young said.

"I think it is the Labor Party policy and we have the leader of the Labor Party now saying he's a supporter of marriage equality.

"The sad thing about the last three years that if Labor members had voted for marriage equality together with the Greens, we would already have it here in Australia.

"So this idea of pushing it off to a referendum is really squibbing the leadership on marriage equality."

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has said he would allow the party room to reconsider the question of same-sex marriage when it convenes after the next election.

by Anonymousreply 10606/28/2013

Tony Abbott is a pig. He has a gay sister and happily laughed and smiled on national television about denying her equal rights and the stupid bitch defended him.

Kevin Rudd needs to win this election. Tony Abbott will take Australia back to the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 10706/28/2013

r108, Kevin Rudd is unhinged. He is incompetent, conceited, and a fool. He holds grudges. He has, on more than one occasion, shown himself to be a bitter, vicious man.

He has his revenge against Julia Gillard. Now, having achieved his revenge, where is Australia headed?

I have reservations about Tony Abbott, but he will not take Australia back to the 1950s. That is Labor party lies.

Australia is in turmoil. The Labor party is a joke and has left chaos in its wake.

Gay marriage, at the moment, is not an urgent issue.

by Anonymousreply 10806/28/2013

[quote]Julia is NOT a lesbian.

Is the guy she lives with gay? Not a lot of male beauticians are straight.

by Anonymousreply 10906/28/2013

Tony Abbott:

Anti-gay marriage (anti-gay everything) Pro-life Climate change sceptic Misogynist

Kevin Rudd:

Pro-gay marriage Pro-choice Climate change believer Philogynist

Based on these 4 points alone, I know who I'm voting for.

by Anonymousreply 11006/28/2013

There have been rumours that Tim Mathieson, Julia's "First Bloke" is gay, r110.

Indeed a radio announcer was fired for asking Julia that very question (and he wouldn't let it go when she refused to answer.)

I have heard tell that Tim is living in a caravan (or trailer for U.S. posters) somewhere in country Victoria. He has been out of the public eye for a while.

Maybe they are no longer a couple...

by Anonymousreply 11106/28/2013

r111, Tony Abbott is not a misogynist. (I'm female, BTW.) Climate change is natural and nothing humans can do can stop it. Taxes certainly won't.

I am a supporter of gay marriage and rights. However, gay marriage is not a pressing issue at the present time when the country has been so mismanaged.

Kevin Rudd is unhinged and incompetent.Even his own party hate him. A number of ministers have said he is impossible to work with. He is interested only in power, not the good of Australia.

Rudd will do or say anything to stay in power, so of course he "supports" gay marriage. Hey, it's a popular issue so he's got young people on his side with his rhetoric.

Much of the mess that Australia finds itself in was created by Kevin Rudd himself and Julia Gillard was unfairly blamed for (although she was incompetent herself, and created her own mess.)

Our country desperately needs an election ASAP. We can't go on like this. Things are going to get worse when Rudd shows his true colours.

Unfortuntely, Rudd sees himself as an Eminent Personage and he's quite likely to put back the election to November. The G20 Summit is in September, an occasion Rudd surely wants to attend - while he's still Prime Minister.

He loves nothing better than swanning about and big noting himself.

by Anonymousreply 11206/28/2013

r113 Holy fuck, Tony Abbott's cronies are now on DL!

by Anonymousreply 11306/28/2013

Oh ffs r114.

Just - ffs.

by Anonymousreply 11406/28/2013

r109/r113/r115 Fuck off, cunt! Go frau somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 11506/28/2013

r116, Ain't going nowhere, sweetpeach, love this place.

by Anonymousreply 11606/28/2013

r117 I suppose it's good that you have something in your life...

by Anonymousreply 11706/28/2013

... whatever keeps you from offing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11806/28/2013

Totally r114 - and just to make it clear for the Americans here's the translation: Australian freeper alert at r106/r107/r109/r113 - pay particular attention to the Frau as she lectures us on how gay marriage is not a priority, but one of the best performing economies in the world is.

by Anonymousreply 11906/28/2013

Here here r120!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12106/28/2013

Tony Abbott = Mitt Romney

by Anonymousreply 12206/28/2013

[105] Texas may not be as conservative as Alabama, although even Alabama had a Democratic governor more recently than Texas, Don Siegelman, from 1999-2003, but it is still pretty conservative. Texas Mexican-Americans still generally vote Democrat as they do nationally but the GOP still wins the state, and they do not yet have the decisive influence they do in New Mexico for example. I would like to see more of Texas some time, but even at the airport I got a flavour of it, including Stetson wearing rednecks!

by Anonymousreply 12306/28/2013

[106] Morgan also released state swings showing the ALP picking up 11 seats in Queensland, offsetting the 5 seats it would lose in Victoria and the 3 in NSW. This election will go to the wire, indeed Hawke in 1990 and Howard in 1998 both won despite losing the popular vote in 2PP by 51-49% because they won more marginals

by Anonymousreply 12406/28/2013

[89] Not really true, it is not just Obama's re-election. France has just elected a Socialist president and parliament, Italy has a new Socialist PM, Trudeau's Liberals are now well ahead of the Tories in Canada and in the UK Labour also leads the Tories. Even in Germany Merkel looks set to be lose her FDP coalition partners in September and be forced back into a coalition with the SPD. Were Rudd to beat Abbott there could be an argument for saying the world was swinging left!

by Anonymousreply 12506/28/2013

I think young people might be more into Rudd than Gillard. Abbott is about as shady and corrupt as they come. He is a very right wing, homophobic, racist and misogynistic guy. Gillard had a chance, but she decided, or was too weak, to be just a pawn for corporate Australia. Rudd seems to be more of a visionary for what Australia desperately needs.

by Anonymousreply 12606/28/2013

Sorry Australian freeper Frau, The Labour Party is gonna win this now!

by Anonymousreply 12706/29/2013

Abbott is more of a concern regarding economic issues rather than social. An Abbott government won't change anything in terms of gay rights, abortion rights etc. as there is a sizable number of Liberal members who aren't socially conservative. Granted, social change won't go backwards, but it also won't progress. If Abbott allows a free vote on marriage equality in Parliament it might pass, but I doubt it'll happen soon.

I'm not at all sad to see the back of Gillard. An atheist, feminist left wing woman speaking out so fervently against marriage equality was a real kick in the guts. She always came across as so insincere and robotic.

I'm no Rudd fan - he's 90% hot air - but I'm glad he's back because he really was shafted.

And I'm glad we'll now have a competitive election. An upswing in support for Labor all but guarantees the Coalition won't control the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 12806/29/2013

Can we discuss some more how ugly this Tony Abbott creature is? My God, you poor Australians..,

by Anonymousreply 12906/29/2013

The Labour Party is far from winning but at least things are looking a lot better now. At least Labor won't lose as many seats as they were going to lose, and hopefully the Coalition won't have control of the senate.

Julia Gillard did a lot of good things actually, but she just does not connect with the Australian public. I'm sure that misogyny (from women as well as from men) has something to do with that, however for me it is that she just didn't seem credible. I still don't understand what she stands for. She is also not a leader in the sense she bows down to the basest ignorance in the community to grab a few more votes (asylum seekers, marriage equality). Tony Abbott does the same thing of course. Rudd, for all his faults, is more of a leader than both of them.

Kevin Rudd must be hell to work with, but that isn't my problem. Providing he does a reasonable job I don't care if he isn't particularly polite behind the scenes. I think he was doing an OK job before he got stabbed in the back.

by Anonymousreply 13006/29/2013

[quote]They should deport her back to Wales where she belongs. As despicable as Abbot is, his mother is Australian so he has roots there unlike the pommie commie/backstabbing cunt/incompetent boob.

Whaaaaaat? 'Pommie commie'? Are you posting from 1950?

It's also pretty sad when the only positive thing you can say about Tony Abbott is that his mother was born in Australia. The concept of him being Prime Minister scares me.

by Anonymousreply 13106/29/2013

What do you think Tony Abbott is going to do? I'm hearing this everywhere, "The prospect of Abbott becoming PM scares me!"

Please enlighten me.

What is Abbott going to do? Open concentration camps? Reinstate the death penalty?

Make homosexuality illegal and punishable by electric chair?

Force all women to become nuns?

by Anonymousreply 13206/29/2013

A Galaxy poll just out conducted on Thursday and Friday evenings has the Coalition’s lead at 51-49, with Kevin Rudd holding a 51-34 lead as preferred prime minister.

by Anonymousreply 13306/29/2013

Hmmm let's see r133...He'll dismantle your employment rights and lower your take home pay by removing penalty rates and allow your employer to sack you easily. He'll cut funding to education, health, social security and the arts - you know those unimportant things in life. Oh, he'll use the money saved from those cuts to lower taxes for corporate Australia, and give them a free pass to pollute the environment by removing the carbon tax (because he doesn't believe in climate change). He'll cut money from scientific research bodies and remove the mining tax because the world's richest woman (Gina Rinehart) isn't happy about having to spread the billions of dollars she makes from Australia's mineral deposits to anyone other than herself. He's ruled out a conscious vote on gay marriage so you are right, nothing will change. He'll dismantle the National Broadband Network for an inferior model because it's cheaper and then award billions of dollars more to his corporate cronies five years down the track when it is no longer functional. Don't worry though, Tony will 'stop the boats' because refugees are really the biggest threat to the quality of your lifestyle aren't they? I'll accept any criticism about the accuracy of my post since he hasn't really announced any policies on anything.

by Anonymousreply 13406/29/2013

Oh my! How scary r135!

The mining tax hasn't raised the revenue it was hoped. Hospitals and education was supposed to be funded from the mining tax which hasn't eventuated.

Why? Because the resources boom has ended. China isn't buying our stuff any more. Labor knew this was going to happen, but like the fools they are, they went ahead with it hoping things would pick up. They haven't.

Australia has NOTHING to replace it - we have no manufacturing. Farms are closing because we import almost all our food - even though we are capable of growing our own food and can export it as well, which would bring much needed money into the country.

Climate change is a completely natural occurence. It has been happening for millenia. How the fuck is a carbon tax supposed to fix what ain't broke? The carbon price in Europe is about $4. In Oz it will be $24 on Monday!!!!That's the reason why so many struggle to pay their power bills.

China's economy is lowing. Australia is fucked. You'll soon see the results.

Kevin Rudd dismantled border protection back when he first became PM without replacing it with anything better. More than 1000 people have since lost their lives.

Now Australia has a problem dealing with refugees - charities are stressed and underfunded. Asylum seekers are not allowed to seek employment but must live on apx. $200 a week. I suggest you also speak to people who live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney where asylum seekers are housed who have to deal with these very real problems and get out of the cafes of Fitzroy and Balmain.

To top of that, there are Australian citizens homeless and jobless. Have you noticed all the shops closing? Business going bust?

Work Choices won't be coming back. That is dead - yet another lie Labor perpetuates.

I have doubts about Tony Abbott's performance as PM but he can't be worse than the present lot of clowns.

What scares me is the shape Rudd is going to leave the country before we have an election - unless his own party stabs him in the back once again.

by Anonymousreply 13506/29/2013

I suggest you get out of your mother's basement freeper fucktard at r136

by Anonymousreply 13606/29/2013

R136 Do you realize that Australia is in the top 3 when it comes to carbon emissions per capita. Abbot just does not believe in climate change because he is in bed big time with the top industry emitters. Honestly this guy scares me to death, he is one of the most corrupt, shady, homophobic and right wing extremist politicians Australia has ever had.

by Anonymousreply 13707/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!