Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GOP scandal-mongering making Obama more popular, GOP most unpopular in CNN polling history

MON MAY 20, 2013

CNN reported on Sunday that 53% of people questioned in the survey said they approve of the job the president is doing, with 45% saying they disapprove. The president's approval rating was at 51% in CNN's previous poll, from early April. The two point rise was well within the survey's sampling error.

The new numbers indicate that Obama remains popular, with 79% of Americans saying the president is likable.

"This underscores just how important the president's personal characteristics have been to him, and how useful it is to the White House that IRS, Benghazi, and AP controversies have not dimmed Obama's personal popularity so far," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The president's handling of these matters so far may have helped boost his standing with the public on a couple of other key measures.

Is the president a strong leader?

Fifty-eight percent say yes.

"The last time the president reached that level was just after the death of Osama bin Laden in 2011," adds Holland. "That finding suggests that the public is responding favorably to Obama's stern reaction in recent days and hints that, far from catching blame for the latest controversies, Obama may actually be benefiting from them in some ways."

The poll also indicates that 52% say the president can manage the government effectively. That's up 10 percentage points since the last time CNN asked the question, in 2011.

Is the president honest and trustworthy?

Fifty-eight percent say yes.

"That a number that has remained virtually unchanged for President Obama since 2009, and the underlying reason why most Americans say they believe what he has said about Benghazi and the IRS," says Holland.

Not surprisingly, Democrats and Republicans are sharply divided in their views of Obama. Most independents view him as honest and trustworthy and as a strong leader, but they're split on whether he can govern effectively.

As always, Obama's Achilles heel remains policy issues. Most Americans say they don't agree with him on the size and power of the federal government, and Americans remain split overall on whether they agree with Obama on issues they care about.

---

But views of the GOP have moved in the opposite direction. Fifty-nine percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party, tying the all-time record for negative views of the GOP. That's a five-point increase since March, and raises the possibility that the public approves of the GOP's actions on IRS and Benghazi but might be put off by the way the party has been making its point. Favorable ratings for the Democratic Party are up six points in that same time.

And what about Hillary Clinton, who remains a target of some Republicans who claim the former secretary of state wasn't assigned enough blame in an independent probe into the Benghazi attack.

According to the poll, 61% have a favorable impression of Clinton, who would instantly become the front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination if she decides to run. Thirty-six percent see Clinton in an unfavorable light. The Clinton numbers are little changed from the 63%-33% favorable/unfavorable rating the last time CNN asked the question, in March.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2906/08/2013

Maybe because the GOP is so motherfucking transparent that even those of us who don't like Obama still hate their guts a million times more - they're boring at this point. Their "scandals" are bullshit and we see right through them.

They're not about helping the country at all and everyone with even one functioning brain cell knows it.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 105/20/2013

Then dems should be happy about all the scandals.

So why are they so concerned?

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 205/20/2013

Suck it you sicko freepers!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 305/20/2013

I hope the mainstream media takes something from this and stops letting Fox News set the news agenda.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 405/20/2013

WERQ!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 505/20/2013

I'm so happy. I really am pleased that so many people seem to see through the GOP's scandal machinations.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 605/20/2013

Love. It.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 705/20/2013

Totally agree R4.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 805/20/2013

Just as relentless freeper attacks ultimately helped President Clinton with the public, these attacks on President Obama are helping him with the public.

Most Americans like President Obama. Freeper shitstains just don't get it. Attacking a popular president makes him look better while they look dumber.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 905/20/2013

Oh Politico is always looking for trouble. They are anti-Obama.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1205/20/2013

Well, we know we don't have to merely assume you're an asshole, R10.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1305/20/2013

TOLD YOU FUCKING FREEPERS!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1405/20/2013

You wish, R15.

You surely wish.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1605/20/2013

While DC fixates on whether Obama is worse than Nixon, polls show the public likes the president more and more:

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1705/20/2013

The 'scandals' are b.s., but the IRS one is the MOST b.s.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1805/20/2013

Obama is playing chess while Republicans play checkers.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1905/20/2013

[quote]I assume this poll was taken in Detroit, watts, Chicago, Atlanta,Oakland,and Harlem

I can't imagine why you'd pick those-

Oh. You're a racist twat.

Never mind.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2005/20/2013

Foiled again, Repugs!!!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2105/21/2013

This news just makes me smile.

Keep it up, GOP! Please! We need a Democratic wave in 2014 to kick your obstructionist, tin-hat conspiracy-theorist asses out of office, so we can get some necessary shit DONE.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2205/29/2013

I will be more impressed with this if the 2016 Republican presidential nominee fails to reach 40 percent of the U.S. Popular Vote in that year's general election.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2305/29/2013

R23. If we run Hillary you will likely get your wish. Especially if she has Christie as her running mate.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2405/29/2013

r2 = r11

I love free speech. It lets freepers and teabaggers prove what morons they are. By the way, Politico is a Republican shill web site.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2505/29/2013

R24,

Thanks.

One way to reconcile this is with numbers. By how much Hillary carries women ... and men.

The economy and housing are reportedly improving. They weren't doing that enough for 2010 which resulted in Republican pickups for the Senate (six seats) and House (65 seats and flip of majority control). They weren't enough for 2012, rendering Barack Obama the second president with second-term re-election declines (popular-vote margin and electoral-vote score) since Woodrow Wilson in 1916.

So the improvements have been delayed. But with this thread report, and news from MSNBC's [italic]Morning Joe[/italic] that Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) is in major re-election trouble, it makes me think 2014 might not be the Republican wave meme some beltway prognosticators would like to assume (based on the history of a president's party losing seats in midterms).

This points me more to thinking of realigning presidential periods. This one, beginning in 2008, favoring Democrats. Hillary is highly electable to landslide proportions. (And for numerous reasons pointing, again, to a numbers' advantage.)

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2605/29/2013

The GOP should officially change its name to the Stupid Party.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2705/29/2013

This is awesome.

This is karma.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2806/08/2013

You sad

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2906/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.