Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ray Manzarek 'Doors' Founding Member Dead at 74

Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to

by Anonymousreply 6505/20/2014

I could swear he made some anti-Semitic or otherwise racist comments once and caused some controversy, but I can't anything on the web. Does anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

Thats a shame, I saw The Doors in London in 1968 (when I was 22) and in the black and white documentary on it, I can be seen (with lots of hair) looking up at Jim Morrison, who had come down off the stage and was walking in front of us. My hippie friends and I were sitting on the floor of The Roundhouse at Camden in London, and yes we we were all high. Jim was too, covered in sweat in that white shirt and leather trousers..

Ray was a key member of the quartet and of course kept The Doors going .... their sound has always been a major one for me. 74 is not too bad for a rock and roller!

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

so sad, RIP RAY!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as bile duct cancer. FUCK CANCER!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

Knew he was the keyboard player, don't normally know many names of band members but that keyboard was so distinctive.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

He was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

Still the best keyboard solo ever:

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

This is the end, beautiful friend.

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

I was listening to Riders on the Storm the other day while I was exercising and thought the keyboard solo was really good, I'd never even paid attention to it before and now this happens.

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

You can sleep all night in my Soul Kitchen

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

If you're a fan, you'll love this.

The story of Riders on the Storm -

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

Riders of the Storm is like the original ambient track. I mean there were other examples of chill out songs around then like Fleetwood Mac's Albatross but that had such an atmosphere about it, way ahead of the time.

That one more than any of their songs goes well beyond its fanbase, contrasting with the rest of the album. Think it's on LA Woman anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

Oh no, tell me that it didn't happen, it's so creepy, not now guys, come on. Gosh! I can't believe it. Why? I know that i sound foolish, but i was thinking a lot of The Doors the last few days and i was thinking that this guy was a really genius. What he did with the keyboards was a revolution. He and Morrison created the Doors. Without Manzarek, there would be no Doors. This guy was truly charismatic! I will never forget the magnificent work he did with the keyboards. He clearly loved what he did and he was always right with his music. As a man, Ray Manzarek was a spiritualist, and he stayed with the same woman from the beginning of his career until his end. I wish the best for him, because death should not be the end. Thank you, for searching Ray Manzarek in different roads and for finding out things and people that made the difference to you and to your music and life. Really, i'm very moved, right now. I think i'll log off.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

R13, usually, I'd scream "MARY!" - but I'm right there with ya. Love your post.

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

Wow, what's with all these musicians dying lately?

Alvin Lee the guitarist from Ten Years After died a few months ago, Reg Presley singer with The Troggs, jazz trumoeter Donald Byrd, Rick Huxley bassist from The Dave Clark Five, Mark Kamins, (yes, that Mark Kamins, the Danceteria DJ Madonna fucked) died in February of a massive coronary, English singer/songwriter Kevin Ayers one of the founding member of Soft Machine and eccentric solo artist, Peter Banks the original guitarist in Yes....not that well known but an important musician: bassist Nic Potter from Van der Graff Generator, music producer Phil Ramone, country legend George Jones, graphic designer Storm Thorgerson (he worked on Pink Floyd's iconic album art as well as for many other famous bands), Christine Amphlett from The Divinyls died a few weeks ago as did NY based folk singer/activist and Woodstock legend Richie Ray Manzarek?!

How sad, the end of a diverse music era, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

Other than their contribution to the magnificent opening of Apocalypse Now I have no use for the Doors.

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

[quote]jazz trumoeter Donald Byrd

I didn't even know this, I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

R11, that was great, thanks for posting it. His voice wasn't half-bad either. Such a creepy song that is.

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

Ray and his family, he actually had three grandchildren, this photo is not recent.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

"Wow, what's with all these musicians dying lately?"

"Lately?" Musicians are not known for their longevity.

I'm sorry to hear he passed on. He was an essential part of the Doors; it wasn't all Jim, you know.

by Anonymousreply 2005/20/2013

I was shocked about Kevin Ayers, I always loved his sexy deep voice. His death didn't make the mainstream press, I'm sure not many knew who he was.

When he was young, he looked like a young Helen Mirren!

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

I'llmiss him.He was a very good musician if a little symbolic of the arrogance of some of the otherwise endearing hippies.

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

Yes, LATELY R20, a TON of them have died within the last few MONTHS!

Of course, I am quite aware that many musicians are self destructive druggies and drinkers, but that was not what I was addressing.

I was simply astonished by the amount of music industry related deaths within the last few months and that many of these men and women were still in their 60s, some in their 50s.

Reading comprehension: a real problem at DL.

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

Oh I didn't know about Kevin Ayers or Donald Byrd. I usually read about them on the obits page in Mojo magazine unless it's someone really big. Annette Funicello was included in the last one.

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

The Doors were one of the few rock bands whose audience consisted of hippies, lovers of underground experimental rock music and rabid teenyboppers.

The Doors were written about in serious music magazines as well as in teenybopper mags such 16 Magazine and Tiger Beat. There was usually a poster of Jim Morrison included monthly in 16. My older sister had posters of Jim all over her room.

by Anonymousreply 2505/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2605/20/2013

My grandmother, when The Doors were hot in the late '60s, heard that song that included the line " ...for you and I" (Touch Me?) and she noted that it was incorrect grammar.

I was never able to listen that song again without thinking of her comment.

She's gone now, of course, and I'm a hell of a lot older.

by Anonymousreply 2705/20/2013

r19 how did Ray & his yoko ono looking wife have a blonde/blue son? The other older son looks Eurasian, unless that's just the Eurasian kid's pal with him.

by Anonymousreply 2805/20/2013

Ok nm, he only had one son, Pablo Manzarek, the Eurasian kid. Blue eyed son not his I assume.

by Anonymousreply 2905/20/2013

Another thing about Ray Manzarek: he & Dorothy, his wife, have been married since 1967. What a sad loss for her.

by Anonymousreply 3005/20/2013

"Reading comprehension: a real problem at DL."

Get off your high horse, Miss Polly Prissypants. Every year a bunch of musicians die. Sometimes they die all spaced out throughout the year, sometimes they die clusters. I don't see anything particularly exceptional about the recent deaths. It's no big deal that many of them aren't that particularly elderly. It never surprises me when I hear a musician dies in their fifties or sixties...or twentie or thirties. It's pretty much the norm for them to die earlier than the average person, although some of them (like George Jones) live longer than anyone would have expected.

by Anonymousreply 3105/20/2013

I assume MTV is going to produce another moody TCM type tribute to mark his passing, maybe air a Doors marathon.

by Anonymousreply 3205/20/2013

What struck me about the headline is that he was 74. SEVENTY FOUR.

Shit. I feel old.

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2013

Thanks R11 for the link.

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

Yes r15 a lot of music people died last year, not only the divas Etta, Donna, Whitney, Fontella, Dory, but Band member Levon Helm, a Monkee, a Bee Gee, opera singer Dietrich Fishser-Dieskau, Richard Rodney Bennett, Dave Brubeck & Ravi Shankar, Andy Williams, Hal David, Marvin Hamlish, Joe South, Scott McKenzie - the end of the hippie dream along with Manzarak.

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

Don't forget Bob Welch of Fleetwood Mac, he who wrote "Hypnotized" and "Emerald Eyes" ...he committed suicide last June.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

Ray was stuck in time. I was sitting in a Japanese restaurant I went to frequently in L.A. I used to see Ray there all the time. He liked to comment on people around him out loud. One day I was sitting at my table alone and I picked up my cell phone. Ray then said, "Look at the girl with the cell phone." Huh? He was kinda trippy, man.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

What a pity! I would love to hear new stuff from this gifted musician. Ray was brilliant and not because he died he is praised now. He was really a magician with the keyboards. We miss you already Ray, it was good to know that you were alive and out there for some time (years now).

I listen to your solo music a lot, and of course i listen to The Doors. They stand in time. I want to read your books as well, i will, i wanted that a long time ago, you know?

Goodbye Ray Manzarek. So long.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

The Poet in Exile: A Novel by Ray Manzarek

Is the lead singer of America's most notorious rock and roll band really buried in Paris? Years after the Poet's apparent death, his longtime musical collaborator and friend Roy receives the first of several mysterious postcards bearing cryptic verse, signed only "J." Trusting his instinct that this is not a hoax, Roy traces the cards to their apparent source—a remote island in the Indian Ocean. There, to his amazement, he is re-united with the man once known as "the snake man," and hears the remarkable story of his faked death—and the rebirth it made possible. A happily married man, the father of two children, he has discovered the secret to life and is finally free of the demons that had driven him headlong through the American night. Now an enticing question arises: Would destiny smile upon the re-launch of one of the most influential rock and roll bands in history? "... a narrative that ends with a moment of authentic surprise and heart-tugging poignancy."—Los Angeles Times

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

Light My Fire by Ray Manzarek

"A refreshingly candid read...a Doors bio worth opening." --Entertainment Weekly No other band has ever sounded quite like the Doors, and no other frontman has ever transfixed an audience quite the way Jim Morrison did. Ray Manzarek, the band's co-founder and keyboard player, was there from the very start--and until the sad dissolution--of the Doors. In this heartfelt and colorfully detailed memoir, complete with 16 pages of photographs, he brings us an insider's view of the brief, brilliant history...from the beginning to the end. "AAn? engaging read." --Washington Post Book World(

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

Ray Manzarek Discography(1974-2008)

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

Ray Manzarek with his son Pablo Manzerek who is a recording artist/engineer

by Anonymousreply 4205/21/2013

Ray Manzarek with his wife Dorothy and his sons Pablo and Zia.

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

Ray with Robbie Krieger, the guitarist of The Doors

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

at least he wasn't a douche like the singer

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

Robbie Krieger from the left, John Densmore in the middle, Ray Manzarek close to Densmore and Jim Morrison closer to the flash of the light...

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

From the left, John Densmore(the drummer of the Doors), next to him Robbie Krieger(the guitarist of the band) and close to Robbie, RAY MANZAREK, the master of the keyboards!

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

R45, yes Ray wasn't a douche at all. Jim was the troubled one, the stubborn one, but he was also part of the powerful chain that was The Doors.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2013

I love this shot.

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

Dorothy Aiko Fujikawa (aka Dorothy Manzarek) was born in 1945 and she met keyboardist Ray Manzarek early 1960s while both were art students and in 1965 they were living together. They married in 1967 December 21 in presence of Jim and Pam. Dorothy and Ray became parents two times of two sons, Pablo and Zia. They are grandparents of three beautiful children.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2013

Ray Manzarek, Jim Morrison and John Densmore

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

Ray with Jim Morrison

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

Gosh r2 wish I had seen them live in 1968. That Roundhouse show was a legendary allnighter with the Doors and Jefferson Airplane, both playing all night, but only the Doors were filmed for that In Europe programme.

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013

I wish i had seen them too R53. I have read that they overshadowed Jefferson Airplane in the Roundhouse. The world was asking for more, they were ecstatic with The Doors and they came for the Doors and not for Jefferson Airplane. They were totally hypnotised!

Jefferson Airplane was another successful band of that time and they became famous before The Doors came to the map. However, after the wave of the Doors appeared, it carried away millions of people with its intensity.

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

The Doors are the best American rock band ever. Their music lives on because they were such originals and superb musicians.

RIP Ray. Say Hi to Jim.

by Anonymousreply 5505/21/2013

I remember as a little kid hearing "Riders on the Storm" and how spooky it sounded to me.

I saw Oliver Stone's film "The Doors" and I can't recall what my reaction to it was, but I do remember knowing that Meg Ryan was very good as Jim Morrison's (Val Kilmer)long-suffering girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 5605/21/2013

"The Doors" co-founder Ray Manzarek traveled across the world to seek out special world class treatment for his rare form of cancer ... which is why he was in Germany when he died, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Ray's most recent band -- The Manzarek-Rogers Band -- tell us, Ray did tons of research on the best places to get treatment for his bile duct cancer ... and his search led him to the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany.

As we reported, Ray eventually passed away at RoMed yesterday.

According to sources, Ray broke news of his cancer to the band in March ... and traveled to Germany shortly after.

Up until Ray told his band about the cancer, we're told they had no idea he was sick. Ray had repeatedly just told them he was "tired," so the news was a shock.

by Anonymousreply 5705/21/2013

It's the kind of memorial rock stars dream of ... famed Sunset Strip nightclub Whisky a Go Go -- where The Doors got their start back in the 60s -- will be honoring Ray Manzarek on its marquee for the rest of the week, TMZ has learned.

A rep for the famed rock club tells us, the marquee memorial will stay up tonight through Saturday -- and every show in the meantime will be dedicated in Manzarek's honor.

The rep says the club will also be briefly "going dark" tonight at 8pm in remembrance.

As we reported, Manzarek -- one of the founding members of the iconic rock band -- passed away today following a long battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74.

The Doors were playing as the house band at the Whisky -- opening for acts like Van Morrison -- when a record exec discovered them and gave the band their first big record deal

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2013

r43 I can't link to it but Zia is Zia Fiorella & he was a young friend of Pablo's. I tried to link to it but DL said "not saved" I thought I was banned again for no reason but I can see I'm still here. So Zia is not Ray's son.

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2013

I have an autographed photo that I got from The Doors in 1968. I guess now would be a good time to have it appraised.

by Anonymousreply 6005/21/2013

R59, yes, i also think that Ray Manzarek had only a child and not two. I liked all the links you posted about Ray, guys, and all the positive comments you made about this gifted musician. He made the difference, after all with his UNIQUE contribution to The Doors. I love so, the way you played the keyboards, Ray.

Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 6105/22/2013

People who love The Doors know that The Doors was not just Jim Morrison.

There would be no Doors without Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore. Morrison didn't know how to play any music instrument. He provided the poetry and his voice.

Of course, there would be no Doors without Jimmy Morrison as well. That is also true.

Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger made some really, really nice solo albums. It's a pity that they got unnoticed by the majority of people.

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2014

Lovely John Densmore.

Don't lose this, guys!

by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2014

He was a smart guy, which you don't always get in the rock n roll world

by Anonymousreply 6405/20/2014

Yeah. I AGREE.

by Anonymousreply 6505/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!