Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need a large cyst removed: general surgeon or plastic surgeon?

I have a golf ball sized cyst in my shoulder/back that I need to have removed. It's deep and I would think having it removed would leave a huge crater in by back. Would a plastic surgeon be a better choice over a general surgeon for the procedure? Is there something out there that doctors use to "fill in" when something is removed? Anyone ever had a large cyst removed? I'd appreciate your advice.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

Put some raw bacon on the cyst. Fasten it with tape or a bandaid and leave it on overnight. The fat will draw the cyst to a head and you can drain it yourself.

I learned this on DL.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

R1 is right. Some of the finest medical experts in the world post on DL.

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

Just rub some 'Tussin on there and it'll be fine!

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

Plastic surgeons are never the right choice. And they are not affordable.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Was there a crater in your back before there was a cyst? Of course not. So why do you think there will be one afterward?

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

I had a regular dermatologist remove mine. It was on the back of my neck. There wasn't much of a scar because he made 2 small incisions and removed the cyst. Don't look at the cyst - the cyst wall is nasty - I couldn't believe that was in me.

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

I had a dermatofibroma on my forehead, looks like a large spot. It's fairly simple to remove and you can only vaguely see the scar if you look. The forehead is a good place to have it cause it just blends in with forehead lines. It really wasn't anything major though, just a slight bump.

They can grow though and I saw someone with a much bigger one. I don't know about golf ball sized cysts, but I imagine they would be the same scar wise - just a slight depressed area that you wouldn't notice.

Mine was a surgeon, a fairly simple slicing with a scalpel procedure. Don't think plastic surgeons have anything to do with this or would do it, possible some are involved with plastic surgery as well.

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

What the fuck? Why did you wait until it was golf-ball-sized before you did something about it? Are there no doctors in your part of West Virginny, Abner?

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

Does the bacon work for breast cancer?

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

I had a basal cell carcinoma on my nose. I went to a plastic surgeon for that, because I needed a good cosmetic result for such a prominent feature. Why not get a consultation?

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

I've had several removed and they've all come back because the cyst wall was broken. Don't ever try to pop them or mess with them because that can cause infections and make it impossible to get the whole thing out and then it will grow back.

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

Op, get a good surgeon, plastic surgeon should be best but whomever has the talent...your doctor should be able to recommend the best.

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

I had a GP remove one from my back when I was a teenager.

The scar is so bad that it looks like I was stabbed with a large knife.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

What the OP can expect.

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

I had one on my back removed by a surgeon. He initially thought it was quite small but 3 general anaesthetics later he was still digging it out. It was awful, OP, and though I have quite a high pain threshold I was almost screaming.

To make matters worse the recovery period was about a week. I went straight to work after the op but as soon the meds wore off had to go home. I couldn't sleep on my back or left side for over a week and couldn't lean back in a chair. I'm glad it's out but the whole procedure was more intense than I was led to believe. Stock up on whatever drugs you can get your hands on.

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

Don't drain it yourself. It will just come back. Why? Becaus the cyst is contained in a sac. If the sac is not removed, it will just keep filling up. A dermatologist or experienced and willing family doc can remove the cyst safely.

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

OP, a dermatologic surgeon (a derm who has done a fellowship in skin surgery; available at any academic medical center nearby) will be able to handle the removal and will most likely have a better sense of cosmetic considerations than a general surgeon. Alternately, I would go to a reconstructive (not cosmetic) plastic surgeon (the kind of plastic surgeons who repair cleft palates and skin grafting after burns) for its removal. I can't imagine your insurance wouldn't cover it (if you're fortunate enough to be insured) given its size.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

wishing you a speedy recovery OP!

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

What's in them nasty thangs – yellow matter custard?!

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

The best guide of what to expect. NO CRATER. Just the ability to sleep on your back, baby.

(The music is great - the whole thing is worth sitting through the 15-second ad.)

by Anonymousreply 2005/20/2013

OP, are you sure its a cyst? Haven't you seen the movie The Manitou? It could be a reincarnated midget witch doctor!

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

OP had the surgery. It didn't go well.

View at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

many people do not realize that there are many surgical situations in which you should at least have a consult with a plastic surgeon - this sounds like one of them. Even in an emergency situation, if it's non-life threatening, I would advise people to ask for a plastic surgeon. When I was in a bad car accident I needed 32 stitches in my face and when my mom (a nurse) arrived in the ER she stopped them from stitching me up and asked for a plastic surgeon - I waited about an hour and she came in and did the work. You really can not tell I even had an accident and I wonder what it would have been like if the general surgeon zipped me up. Anyway, it never hurts to at least ask, and if the surgeon gets insulted, then you've discovered you have the wrong one anyway because they should always want what is best for you. good luck - get well soon OP

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

Ewww r22. If it's potentially serious enough scar wise to warrant it, by all means go to a dermatological or plastic surgeon for a second opinion or better result. Least you've given it a lot of thought before going ahead.

If it was in a prominent area like the face I definitely would do that, but who would want a nasty scar anywhere if they could avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

Regarding R22 My guess that is either a bed sore or MRSA.

by Anonymousreply 2505/20/2013

Just bend over the kitchen table and have some drunk friends poke it with a dirty needle and scream when it 'splodes. Then post it on YouTube. Be sure they all scream many times about how much the gunk inside STINKS.

by Anonymousreply 2605/20/2013

I would just go to the drugstore and buy a tube of Ichthammol drawing salve. It looks and smells like black tar but it does the job.

by Anonymousreply 2705/20/2013

OP, it may leave a crater after the doctor removes the sac, but that area will fill back in on its on in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 2805/20/2013

FInally with the link.

by Anonymousreply 2905/20/2013

Or you could invite the neighborhood and sell tickets, like this lovely couple did.

by Anonymousreply 3005/20/2013

[quote]I have a golf ball sized cyst in my shoulder/back that I need to have removed. Would a plastic surgeon be a better choice over a general surgeon?

Is Tiger Woods available?

by Anonymousreply 3105/20/2013

Nasty. I hate anything to do with holes in the skin. There was this well known fake of a woman with parasites in her breast, that pic scarred me.

by Anonymousreply 3205/20/2013

It is not on your face, so you should go to a regular surgeon. Check with your regular doctor for a referral and check with your insurance.

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2013

OP, my brother had a similar cyst. He got a referral from his GP to go to a cosmetic plastic surgeon, who did a great job. Bro says it was painful surgery, but it never came back.

His GP requested it be biopsies for cancer, so insurance paid for the whole thing.

You'll feel better when it's gone.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

Are you sure it is cyst? I have a fatty tumor on my back. It's benign but also the size of a golf ball. It's not something you pop, it's surgery and may even require an overnight stay. I don't believe this part but this is what my doc said. I don't know if insurance will cover it but if it's not interfering with your life then you probably have to pay our of pocket.

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013

Someone said this worked on them after they saw it work for the dog.

by Anonymousreply 3605/20/2013

Ask a dermatologist. If the thing is actually a cyst, it will automatically fill back, so the whole shebang will have to come out, walls and all. If you can effectively drain it, it's a boil. And you responder who advised bacon was wrong--if you want to draw the evil stuff out of it, use raw potato scrapings and/or a slice of raw garlic bandaged to your ugly place overnight and whenever you can. But it's not a boil, according to your own diagnosis. It's gonna stay and get bigger. Have a dermatologist remove it, at least. Mine was right inside my shoulder blade, and I had it removed over 30 years ago, so maybe the medical knowledge has improved, but I still have a 2" scar. My friends tell me it's hardly visible, but they're kind and they know how sensitive I am. Still, its edges are soft, and above all, it doesn't look like it's going to ooze or erupt or spread or anything! Whatever you do, consider the health aspect before the cosmetic aspect. Unhealthy never looks good!

by Anonymousreply 3705/20/2013

Try and have the pastic do it. If it is not cosmetic your insurance should cover it...ask his front desk person. It would be less painful if they did it as well since they work with such fine detail.

Dermatologist do not have a surgical residency so I would have a surgeon as the second choice do it,except as someone above mentioned someone who has a surgical dermitological residency.

by Anonymousreply 3805/20/2013

OPie, I've had one that I would describe as cherry tomatoe size. What they dig out out is much smaller than what you see externally.

Outpatient surgery at you local clinic is fine. You will have a minor scar that is hardly noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2013

OPie - there is also no pain. As you would expect on DL, most of these posters are full of sh*t

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2013

What the fuck is wrong with you cyst-covered people?

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

Bondo. Just go to Pep Boys and pick up a tub.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2013

R35, it sounds like you have a lipoma. Four years ago I went to a plastic surgeon to have a golf-ball sized lipoma (a benign fatty tumor) removed from the middle of my back, just to the right of my spine. It cost less than $800 cash and the whole visit took little more than an hour. The plastic surgeon deftly removed it intact (they can grow back but mine has not.) It left only a modest and fading scar that is far preferable to being unable to rest peacefully on one's back. If I had known how simple and affordable it was, I would have had it done long ago.

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

There won't be a significant scar. A plastic surgeon will accept your money, but it makes absolutely no sense to go to them.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!