Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celebrities that are nice?

OK, we've had a ton of threads are nasty, rude, bi-polar stars...what about the once that are actually nice or down to earth?

I've heard good things about Sandra Bullock...

There have to be a few that are decent?

by Anonymousreply 8605/23/2013

Sean Connery. Polite, friendly, smiley, stood for ages signing autographs in the street. I walked round the corner and bumped right into him, he was really tall, a very imposing presence. I think he must have been filming The Name of the Rose at the time.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

Kyle Chandler. A true gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Dolly Parton, in spite of Country Musics artificially promoted rep for being nice, Dolly is the only one who actually delivers.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

r5 I had heard that so many times as well about DollyP until I met someone who had worked with Dolly many times in Santa Monica CA at an old broadcast building, and said how she was a bitch every time, not very friendly, asked them for food, and then after getting some, she never touched it etc. Stand offish I was shocked. This was more than once he said. Throughout the years!

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

I knew this would be a short thread.

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

Why not just link to one of the old threads on this very same topic?

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

Kelly Clarkson. Its like she doesn't even believe herself that she's a star.

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

Didn't she win a singing contest?

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

Celebrities WHO are nice, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

I work in the industry and so have a lot of interaction with celebrities. Here are some of the ones that are extremely nice. Some surprisingly so:

Angelina Jolie Patti Lupone Mariah Carey Britney Spears Simon Cowell Jodi Foster Tom Cruise (extremely nice but it's not genuine) Keanu Reeves Sandra Bullock Cameron Diaz

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

Celebrities who are nice?

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

Alan Alda, a real gentleman

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

Jessica Chastain, Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves, Charlize Theron (with a nice touche of amazing funny side), Meryl Streep, Julie Andrews, Jessica Lange.

In general, I find actresses far more polite and pleasant in interaction than actors.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

Chris Hemsworth, when he was filming Thor in Albuquerque. Talked to us and signed autographs for the kids.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

I love you, R14. Why do so many people use this kind of "that"?

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

Mariah Carey must have changed in the 90's when I worked at Sony Music in NYC and she was a raging cunt to anyone in s supporting position.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

I don't believe R6's friend.

I have spent time with Dolly Parton on a number of occasions. I've also known people who've worked with her and I've never heard anything like that from any of them.

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

[quote]Charlize Theron (with a nice touche of amazing funny side),

She must have sensed your retardation.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

Cher is amazing. Worked on Burlesque and I never had much of an opinion about her until then but now I love that woman. She is everything you would want a star to be. And she was really gracious because that director was an idiot and an ass but she remained professional.

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

R24 why so hostile, honey? Someone drop hairs into your soup today?

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

totally agree with you about that ass who someone (David Geffen connection?) wrangled that directing job on "Burlesque" - that movie was unwatchable, except for Cher's two numbers, the Xtina warbling, shouting, trying to act, was just excruciatingly nauseating. I felt bad for Cher.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

that ass who "Somehow" wrangled that directing job...I believe his name is Antin, Steven Antin, he's good and sexy in the Jodie Foster film "The Accused" but should never be allowed anywhere near a camera again!

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

Antin is the reason the production happened. He wrote the screenplay and his boyfriend is the head of Screen Gems so that is how he was able to direct it and get it made. It was like torture watching Antin work.

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

Bernadette Peters. Not overly friendly but a very professional, polite and pleasant lady.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

not frances mcdormand

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

Celebrities WHO!!!

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

I spend the day with Dolly Parton when I was a PA on a documentary she was in, and she was a doll. Absolutely charming and funny and professional. I live in Nashville in have met most of the country singers at one point or another. They're all, for the most part, friendly and sincere, with the glaring exception of Carrie Underwood, who is far from friendly. Oh, and another shout-out for Kelly Clarkson, who is adorable, funny, and very warm.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

Judith Light's reputation proceeds her.

Music industry types are nastier on the whole, than actors.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

Met Chris Evans while filming Capt. America 2 in DC. Absolutely one of the sweetest and very funny. Amazing hard body got a hug from him.

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Say it ain't so R30!

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

Miley Cyrus, despite being every bit the rebel, is surprisingly sweet and unguarded.

Ditto for Pink.

Judith Light deserves all the mentions she's gotten on the "Nice List"--if there's a female equivalent for "mensch" ("menschette"?)--she's that.

Not a huge celeb, but Shannon ("American Pie") Elizabeth is a doll.

Tilda Swinton is gracious and charming.

Donna Mills is also a sweetheart; nothing like the ice queen roles she's played.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is warm and has wonderful manners. Just a very huggable guy.

If we do a "not so nice" list, I've got those, too.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

Tom Cruise is not nice. He is a Scientologist. He is nice in the same way a used car salesman is nice.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

What's Liza Minnelli like? She seems nice in her interviews but I get the feeling that she's a total bitch to underlings.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

R37, that's called "smarm."

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

Where did you meet Glenn Close, r21? I love her.

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

R38- personally, I've never known Liza Minnelli to say an unkind word about anyone with the exception of David Gest and that was post marriage.

Two other celebs who are genuinely nice

Angela Lansbury who has been mentioned in a previous post.

Vanessa Redgrave

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

Janet Jackson is so nice and not nasty.

by Anonymousreply 4205/21/2013

I saw that someone here mentioned Kyle Chandler. A friend of mine worked as an extra for Friday Night Lights. She said that Kyle was very nice and would make small talk with the extras between scenes. Another nice cast member who would talk with extras but not as much was Connie Britton.

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

I love when people say Celebs are nice because they gave them what they wanted, a pic, autograph. Man I wonder what you would have said if they POLITELY said no. If you didn't get what u wanted, Are they the devil? Give me what I want you are an angel...

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

Alec Baldwin, very friendly guy loves to talk and hold court. Great story teller, very approachable, at least he was on Ghosts Of Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

Chely Wright was very friendly and genuinely interested in what others said.

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

I wrote about her on another thread, but I will repeat what I know, sorry if I bore some people ...

During her time in Pittsburgh when she was married to Andre Previn, who was then music director of the Pittsburgh Symphony, Mia Farrow was loved by the department store clerks. She never pulled rank or said I am celebrity; she waited in line like everyone else. She answered questions about Peyton Place and Rosemary's Baby, and was diplomatic when talking about Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

That is nice R47 I enjoy her twitter feed. She seems a little kooky but sweet.

I had a nice encounter with Joan Rivers in which she went out of her way to assist me (a complete stranger) with directions in a large hotel.

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2013

Mia Farrow has become an accomplished human rights activist and besied all the great performances, she produced Ronan Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2013

Glenn Close went out of her way to help a friend of mine whose partner had died - and she didn't know him at all. Good lady.

I can second that Liza is a very nice person and always professional, especially when you consider the ourageously personal questions random people feel comfortable asking her on a daily basis: Why did you marry a gay man? Was your father gay? Do you miss your mother?

Seriously - I'd have decked a few people by now.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2013

R48, you might well have experienced the one moment when Joan Rivers chose to be nice to strangers. Savor it, but it's a mistake to generalize.

by Anonymousreply 5105/22/2013

A lot of them are nice until they don't quite get what they want. Then, good luck. It can be a Jekyll/Hyde situation.

I've met a couple actors who do seem to have their egos in check and be more mature than that, but you'd have to define celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 5205/22/2013

Very old info, but he deserves some recognition. When i was a kid i lived in a boy's home in Abilene, TX. Every year a few of the players on the Dallas Cowboys would visit. Of those, Tony Dorsett was the most generous, easy to talk to and seemed to really care about and like us.

this wasn't a media event. AFAIK they came to visit because they wanted to, not for any sound bite.

by Anonymousreply 5305/22/2013

Broadway's Rory O'Malley; a gem.

by Anonymousreply 5405/22/2013

James Mason was one of the nicest people I ever met.

by Anonymousreply 5505/22/2013

Cat Deeley is an angel.

Antonio Banderas is very sweet, and flirty in a fun (equal opportunity) way.

A friend worked on the "Gilmore Girls" crew and said that Alexis Bledel was universally loved and a sweet, bookish girl.

Another friend used similar words to describe Famke Janssen--shy almost to the point of nerdy, but warm and maternal.

Tina Turner is kind and grandmotherly.

And for those of us old enough to remember the original "Battlestar Galactica," Dirk Benedict is a great guy as well.

by Anonymousreply 5605/22/2013

Jamie Lee Curtis was very nice when I first met her. And then she even remembered my name when I ran into her and her kids at Will Rogers Beach.

by Anonymousreply 5705/22/2013

I have not met them myself, but according to my brother, Billy Joel is a nice guy, though Christie Brinkley ... not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5805/22/2013

[R28] and Antin's sister is the creator of the Pussycat Dolls stage show and brand-- Robin Antin. And their other brother is Jonathon Antin the douche who is the hair salon owner and hair stylist to the stars (who had a reality show on bravo about 6 years ago that ran for about 2 seasons)

by Anonymousreply 5905/22/2013

I third-- or fourth-- Jodie Foster. She was so nice to me when I met her. I had been told how nice she was (on set) and that the crew LOVED her. They hated the director and a couple other cast members, but said she was a class act. She was.

by Anonymousreply 6005/22/2013

Lavar Burton- Super nice!!!

Sandra Bullock-- Also nice and better looking in person, tho i don't know why. Sort of threw me.

Forest Whitaker - Not surprising.

Faith Ford-- I simply walked passed her and got a huge southern smile and "how do you do"!

by Anonymousreply 6105/22/2013

[quote] Patti Lupone

Wendy Wasserstein was amazingly warm and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6205/22/2013

Seminole Hard Rock employees told me Jessica Simpson was super-nice, down to earth and adorable.

by Anonymousreply 6305/22/2013

I waited on Ginger Rogers. She was so polite and sweet. This was when she was elderly.

by Anonymousreply 6405/22/2013

Mariah Carey is one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met. Will Smith is also a really down to earth guy.

by Anonymousreply 6505/22/2013

John Lithgow

Sigourney Weaver

by Anonymousreply 6605/22/2013

From personal experience:

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck (no clue on their spouses)

Mick Jagger - good manners and professional

Judith Light

Ditto Wendy Wasserstein - just warm and vivacious

Will try to think of more

by Anonymousreply 6705/22/2013

I can second Affleck and Damon - both were consistently nice guys over an extended period of time.

Clooney is another pleasant, funny person.

Oddly enough, super bitches Faye Dunaway and Barbra Streisand were both total sweethearts and alleged sweetheart Sandra Bullock was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6805/22/2013

A friend of mine was Faye's assistant! ABSOLUTE TERROR!!! That woman was/is a tornado of irrational insanity. [r68] I believe that anyone can be caught at a "good time"(maybe boozed up) where they are generally pleasant "in passing". BUT NO WAY! NO HOW! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER WILL FAYE BE REMEMBERED FOR BEING A SWEETHEART! (oh, the stories i've heard)

You must've been distracted by the sparkles of her costume jewelry (or SHE was). I'm glad you came away unscathed, though.

by Anonymousreply 6905/22/2013

Recently Patti Labelle was in the news for freaking out in a building lobby over a naughty child, but I knew someone who worked on the Martha Stewart show and he said she was their favorite guest ever. He said she came in with a merry entourage of women and gay men, all laughing and hooting and everyone had a great time. So good, in fact, that they stuck around well after the work day was done. They sort of had to drop hints for everyone to go, at one point Patti even inquired about the food cooked on that show that day (turkeys, I think) and asked if it could be brought to the green room.

by Anonymousreply 7005/22/2013

R53, that makes me oddly happy. I've adored TD since his Pitt days. Given his talent and accomplishments, he could easily be a huge asshole. Good to know he's cool.

by Anonymousreply 7105/22/2013

Nance Dexter

by Anonymousreply 7205/22/2013

Antonio Banderas (I reminded him I was working the event, but he hugged me anyway).

Meryl Streep and Sigourney Weaver are both charming. Streep's is a marvelous act, which is fine, and Weaver's is the real thing.

Richard Thomas is a lovely guy, and remarkably free of any pretension.

Alfred Molina once mistook me for an actor buddy from a movie he shot in the 90s. I reminded him I wasn't in any movies, and that we'd never even met, but he introduced me to his lovely wife anyway!

by Anonymousreply 7305/22/2013

R69, I spent time with Dunaway at a social/charity thing. She was on her best behavior and practicing her craft - acting like a total sweetheart.

I believe everyone who says she's actually a demon tyrant bitch from hell. I think it's funny that the ONE evening I spent time with her (expecting a nightmare) she was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7405/22/2013

[quote]Alfred Molina once mistook me for an actor buddy from a movie he shot in the 90s

Ha ha... the same thing happened to me with Lou Diamond Phillips (remember him?)

I thought he'd recognize his mistake, but he didn't, and I didn't want to embarrass him, so I sort of played along. It's not like we had a long conversation, it was sort of a in-passing thing of just a couple of minutes. Then he invited me to a party at his house, and of course I went.

by Anonymousreply 7505/22/2013

Enjoying all the celeb tales, but the most interesting tidbit is R3 grew up in a boys' home.

R53, if you don't mind the imposition, could you start a thread about what lie was like there, why you ended up there, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 7605/22/2013

[quote]I third-- or fourth-- Jodie Foster. She was so nice to me when I met her. I had been told how nice she was (on set) and that the crew LOVED her. They hated the director and a couple other cast members, but said she was a class act. She was.

Where did you meet her, r60? And, which movie was this?

I met her at an after party at a premiere. She was very professional, as expected she would be. I shook her hand.

by Anonymousreply 7705/22/2013

Sandy Bullock?!

She was a bitch to me on THE PROPOSAL set.

by Anonymousreply 7805/22/2013

Hugh Jackman and Angelina Jolie. Extremely kind and normal and present.

by Anonymousreply 7905/22/2013

r78: No one knows who you are, Brian! Now get me a cup of fucking coffee.

by Anonymousreply 8005/22/2013

I met Stevie Nicks once, she seemed nice and surprisingly genuine despite her gauzy bewitched image.

by Anonymousreply 8105/22/2013

It's been a minute since I was in LA (senile parent who needs minding), but these people are all very soothing to work around: Nathan Fillion is wonderful, very warm and will engage with anyone. Alexis Denisof and James Marsters are cut from the same cloth. Nicky Brendon once was, and I probably is again, since I hear he's been clean for a long time now.

Eliza Dushku is wonderful, and I don't care how many time the bitter ex-shippers say otherwise, so too is Ally Hannigan.

And I never worked with her, and I don't think she's even acting anymore, but Elizabeth Gracen is supposed to be a doll on set. Never worked with Joe Montagna either, but hear he's a good guy in all respects.

by Anonymousreply 8205/22/2013

Kelly Clarkson is a doll, funny and warm, and knows how to hang. Very cool chick. Great to work with. LOVE her.

by Anonymousreply 8305/23/2013

[r68] I have never formally met her. I had already heard all the stories about her from my friend. Years later, I was shopping at Whole Foods and she actually started yelling at me as I was leaving. She was all upset about something like her credit card being denied. I was not surprised that she ASSUMED everyone she lays eyes on works for her and I screamed back at her "ask for a manager, and that I don't work here, and to go to hell". (plus I addressed her by her first name!)

As I walked out, I couldn't believe that I had just screamed back at someone who I always thought of as "Hollywood Royalty". Major bummer and a total eye-opener to the BS of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 8405/23/2013

Sorry. I'm referencing one and only Faye Dunaway in the above [r84]

by Anonymousreply 8505/23/2013

Rod Stewart. Very nice. Met him on a few occasions for work, including a dinner. Always good humored.

by Anonymousreply 8605/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!