Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

VA GOP’s AG Nom Wanted Women To Report Miscarriages To Police Or Face Jail Time

VA GOP’s Attorney General Nominee Wanted Women To Report Miscarriages To Police Or Face Jail Time

Virginia state Sen. Mark Obenshain (R) won the Republican nomination to replace Ken Cuccinelli as the state's attorney general this weekend. As Think Progress reported Monday, Obenshain once introduced a bill that would charge women with a Class 1 misdemeanor if they failed to report a miscarriage to police.

The bill, introduced in 2009, stated that if a miscarriage occured without medical attendance, the woman would be required to report the "fetal death, location of the remains, and the identity of the mother" to the local or state police department. If she failed to do this within 24 hours, the bill would find the woman guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. As Think Progress notes, a Class 1 misdemeanor carries a maximum sentence of “confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500” in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

Is there ANYONE left in the GOP who isn't batshit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

I believe this kind of feeling of entitlement to stick your nose in other people's (well, let's be honest here, WOMEN'S) business qualifies as some sort of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

But outlawing serving sizes for soft drinks was outrageously intrusive. Right.

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

Dear Southerners,

After much thought, we have decided to render null and void the terms ratified at Appomattox. You are free to leave the Union anytime you want, just let us keep New Orleans and Key West.

The rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Someday an outraged woman is going to kill one of these fuckers.

And the decent people of America will cheer.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

Someone should put a miscarried fetus in a jar and just send it to the man.

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

Why on earth would they care?

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

I'm assuming this was in order to be able to start a witch hunt for women who may have had abortions?

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

This is so crazy. I don't get the logic at all. And what's even the point?

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

yet 50% of fertilized eggs result in natural miscarriage, often before the woman ever even knows she was pregnant. God *wants* miscarriages!

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

I'd hate to be the wife or daughter of one of these nuts. Granted, they know he's nuts and if they live off of him they are whores.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

Are they gonna do autopsies on the expelled fetus? Isn't that the very definition of Big Government?

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

"Someday an outraged woman is going to kill one of these fuckers."

If women tried to control the bodies of men within governmental and judicial framework, we all know that scores of them would be raped, killed, tortured, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

R13, like all Republicans, the rules don't apply to their own families.

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

Still unfunny, racist piece of shit asshole at R9.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

If this insanity was ever implemented, I'd spare a bit of pity for the policemen who would have to take those reports.

I mean, can you imagine anything they'd care less about, than the gynecological histories of grieving women?

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

Don't the majority of pregnancies miscarry before 8-10 weeks? I heard it's like 60%.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!