Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama Tells All-Male Morehouse College Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to your Boyfriend...or Your Partner' - VIDEO

The crowd at the Morehouse College commencement ceremony over the weekend seemed momentarily stunned when Obama directed the gay men in the audience to be the best husband to their partners, but Obama held up one finger and stifled any dissent:

And that’s what I’m asking all of you to do: Keep setting an example for what it means to be a man. Be the best husband to your wife, or you’re your boyfriend, or your partner. Be the best father you can be to your children. Because nothing is more important.

Shortly thereafter, Obama told the all-male African-American institution's 2013 grads to have empathy with other minority populations like Hispanic and Muslim Americans, and gays:

As Morehouse Men, many of you know what it’s like to be an outsider; know what it’s like to be marginalized; know what it’s like to feel the sting of discrimination. And that’s an experience that a lot of Americans share. Hispanic Americans know that feeling when somebody asks them where they come from or tell them to go back. Gay and lesbian Americans feel it when a stranger passes judgment on their parenting skills or the love that they share. Muslim Americans feel it when they’re stared at with suspicion because of their faith. Any woman who knows the injustice of earning less pay for doing the same work -- she knows what it’s like to be on the outside looking in.

So your experiences give you special insight that today’s leaders need. If you tap into that experience, it should endow you with empathy -- the understanding of what it’s like to walk in somebody else’s shoes, to see through their eyes, to know what it’s like when you're not born on 3rd base, thinking you hit a triple. It should give you the ability to connect. It should give you a sense of compassion and what it means to overcome barriers.

by Anonymousreply 5605/22/2013

vide of President's address

watch at 22:18

[/quote]And that’s what I’m asking all of you to do: Keep setting an example for what it means to be a man. Be the best husband to your wife, or you’re your boyfriend, or your partner. Be the best father you can be to your children. Because nothing is more important.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

Are there any out gay men at Morehouse?

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

I think so.

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

WERQ!!!!

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

Well, at least openly bisexual students.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

There are so many reasons I dislike the president (policy-wise, not personally), but I'm so fucking glad Romney lost.

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

Outstanding. Barack is bringing down the...House.

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

I also do not agree with some of his policy decisions, and wish he were more effective at times. I voted for him because I cannot abide what the Republican party has become.

But I am full of admiration for his stand on social issues.

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

Tons of out gays at Morehouse, r2. They even have a student LGBT org.

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

[quote]Are there any out gay men at Morehouse?

Is that a joke?

Btw, studies show a higher percentage of black people identify as gay than white people if you want to know the real facts.

Every HBCU (historically black college) has a strong gay presence.

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

True, studies have also shown that among males, Black males are up to twice as likely to have had sex with the same sex than men of other races. This includes many black men who identify as heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

I love Obama and I love the example he is trying to set for all Americans when it comes to gays and other minorities.

I have been reading DL too much lately. I read this statement as:

...know what it’s like to feel the sling of discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

Is this going to be the next great Obama scandal now that umbrella gate is winding down?

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

Faux News is just going to have a field day with this footage....because, you know, he's an angry black guy who is inclusive...

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

This is the best president we've ever had! So nice to have a leader preach tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

Love the guy!

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

Very cool of him!

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

He's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

Me too, R8

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

My black president supports gay rights.

I never thought I could write this sentence and be talking about reality.

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

I read that the President was considering going full "Bullworth" is his second term. This sounds like he's definitely heading in that direction.

Good for him! Good for lgbt, too

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

Everything he said is so simple, so obvious, so matter of fact. So why am I all choked up, reading his statement?

by Anonymousreply 2505/20/2013

Barack Obama is personally responsible for a very large part of the swing in public opinion toward marriage equality. No president is perfect, but he has done so much to improve my life that I will always be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

I wish the historical first black president was giving me a reason to look back and moan, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

Kudos to President Obama!

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

Growing up, this was completely unimaginable. He has been more of an ally than most of our own coworkers or family members.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

[quote]In fact, Obama’s Morehouse speech was one of the most extraordinary of his presidency. Although he stressed individual responsibility in the black community, his speech was the opposite of separatist. He told the graduates that because “many of you know what it’s like to be an outsider” they have a special responsibility to defend the rights of women, Muslims, Hispanics, and gays and lesbians. Contrast that with congressional Republican efforts to get African-Americans to blame Hispanic immigrants for their high unemployment rates. Or the GOP’s bid to lure African-American support by opposing gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

obama isnt black. carry on

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

And by the same token, (some of ) the gays need to stop being so racist.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

Love that Obama.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

Don't we love how the story painted the audience as "Stunned" . Oh yes they were all clutching their pearls no?

Probably not so stunned for fuck's sake. Must the mention of anything gay be so very shocking!

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

[quote]My black president supports gay rights. I never thought I could write this sentence and be talking about reality.

No shit. Me too. Fucking amazing.

Don't take it for granted either, We wont' see another one like this in our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

r12 I agree. But people have to continue implying being gay is more taboo in the black community than the white community. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

I HATE it when the president speaks to "the blacks". It's never just a speech, he has to get all holier than thou like he's speaking to wayward children who have lost their way. Your are the FUCKING PRESIDENT: DO SOMETHING!

TA-NEHISI COATES: But I also think that some day historians will pore over his many speeches to black audiences. They will see a president who sought to hold black people accountable for their communities, but was disdainful of those who looked at him and sought the same. They will match his rhetoric of individual responsibility, with the aggression the administration showed to bail out the banks, and the timidity they showed in addressing a foreclosure crisis which devastated black America (again.)They wil weigh the rhetoric against an administration whose efforts against housing segregation have been run of the mill. And they will match the talk of the importance of black fathers with the paradox of a president who smoked marijuana in his youth but continued a drug-war which daily wrecks the lives of black men and their families. In all of this, those historians will see a discomfiting pattern of convenient race-talk.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

Let's suck a cock!

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

I'm sure Private Manning appreciates the President's sentiments as he continues to be tortured with solitary confinement.

You guys are SO easy.

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

Right on, Barack!! That was quite the affirmation of gay relationships. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4005/22/2013

I read the entire epiisode as, "See, I've got these folks so locked up that I can go to this bastion of intelligent black masculinity and go all gay shit and not lose a one of them. Beat that suckers."

by Anonymousreply 4105/22/2013

R40= TOO easy.

He took a LONG time to evolve, even after polls showed support for marriage equality. His DOJ fought for DOMA for quite a while. But let's not let facts get in the way.

And there's that nasty business of what they're doing to Manning, but let's ignore it.

Meanwhile, these grads can't marry a man in thirty states because their Constitutions forbid it, and conservatives USED the fact that the President opposed marriage equality in THEIR fight against equality. Are we forgetting that now too?

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 4205/22/2013

R41, it's actually "I'll throw another verbal bone to liberals, while I actually preside over a pretty conservative administration."

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2013

Somewhat pandering, but passable.

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2013

Big Obama fan, but the grads deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2013

Does he do this to distract you idiots from the fact that he isn't pushing for your rights?

by Anonymousreply 4605/22/2013

Idiots, R46?

How ironic.

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2013

r47 Nothing idiotic about it. Obama has made it clear that gay marriage isn't on his agenda multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2013

He also corrected Elisabeth Hasselbeck when she incorrectly stated that he was going to try to pass gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2013

Even before I read Ta-Nehishi Coates' excellent analysis at The Atlantic, I found myself looking at the remarks of this speech and of Michelle Obama's speech and I wonder who it really is that they're talking to. I mean, they certainly aren't talking to the talented black students who've managed to do what upwards of 75% of black people their age fail to do, which is to get a college diploma.

I'm sick of the sermons about personal responsibility and the like, because these kids are not who he's talking to or about: he's talking to the people who will never get the message in a million years. The people who will NEVER see a college diploma. And by doing so, he reinforces the message that the problems and ills of the black poor are the problems and ills of all black people, which they are not.

If he wants to address the pathology of poor blacks, by all means he should do so, but I think that a commencement speech at a historically black college is probably the wrong place to start.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2013

That's a unique form of delusion, R48.

by Anonymousreply 5105/22/2013

Someone's in denial, r51. Google it hon. You have an internet browser.

by Anonymousreply 5205/22/2013

Someone is definitely in denial, R52. While you're googling, check out low cost mental health care clinics in your area.

by Anonymousreply 5305/22/2013

r50 I agree. And this isn't the first time Obama has made such a patronizing and racialized commentary. He wasn't speaking to ex-cons. He was speaking to college graduates. They should not be lectured.

by Anonymousreply 5405/22/2013

[quote] read that the President was considering going full "Bullworth" is his second term.

Don't you mean "Butterworth?"

by Anonymousreply 5505/22/2013

He wasn't just speaking to the room. In this day and age, millions upon millions of people have heard that address.

"It'll be a real sign of the times when these grads look back and moan that they got the gay lecture when the historical first black president came to commencement."

The gay lecture? One or two sentences out of a full speech?

You queens are too, too much sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 5605/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.