Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do people LOVE Jennifer Lawrence so much?

I have no idea why that is. There seems to be overwhelming love for this girl. It's scary. I saw her performance in X-men and Hunger Games, they were okay. I never thought she was phenomenal. Because everyone LOVES (if I could change the font size, I would make this word extra large) her, it makes me want to LOVE her as well, but I just can't. I mean she's really too ordinary and meh.

by Anonymousreply 3005/22/2013

I don't like her. She's phony.

All hype, no substance.

by Anonymousreply 105/20/2013

She's a fad, and the entertainment media will soon get tired of fawning over her and move onto a new enthusiasm.

Which really is a pity, she seems to have talent but she's being set up to be a flash in the pan.

by Anonymousreply 205/20/2013

Watch Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 305/20/2013

[quote]I mean she's really too ordinary and meh.

Maybe you answered your own question. She's normal and accessible, down to earth in attitude and looks.. could explain her appeal. Blockbuster film franchises are hardly going to give her the best showcase.

Straight men find her really sexy, women can relate to her and don't feel threatened, she has a good sense of humour and can act. Good all rounder and while she didn't ask for It girl status, she is worthy at least. The antithesis of an aloof privileged Ice Queen like Goop who previously was the it girl.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2013

R3 I second that. First movie I saw Jennifer Lawrence in and she was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

OP didn't you already start an identical thread to this one like a week or two ago?

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

R3, you are so right. Jennifer Lawrence was transcendent in Winter's Bone. R4 is right about why she appeals to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

Compared to AnnE she seemed lovable.

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

Yet ANOTHER thread about Jennifer Lawrence?

Enough already!

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

Yes, R4, I imagine her popularity is in part due to anti-intellectualism in America today. Her Oscar win was undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

I can't even remember the last movie actress I LOVED. I still love Meryl and all the old greats, but the current generation of actresses all bore me.

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

Exactly the same thing I feel about Joseph Gordon-Levitt, can't spot where his appeal lies albeit a decent actor (like most actors)... But Jen Lawrence, I understand the appeal. She's a natural beauty and captivating on screen, kinda magnetic in everyway.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

[quote]She's a natural beauty

She's plain:

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

That's beautiful R13 More beautiful than cakey Mila Kunis.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

[quote]Exactly the same thing I feel about Joseph Gordon-Levitt, can't spot where his appeal lies albeit a decent actor (like most actors)..

Have you ever seen Mysterious Skin? You'll understand why people think he's a great actor. He hasn't had as complex a role since then because there aren't that many of them being written.

Same for Lawrence and Winter's Bone. I think most people are thinking of that movie when they compliment her. Silver Linings Playbook was a pretty dumb movie over all and Lawrence's performance wasn't that stand out, in my opinion. The real acting star of that movie was Jackie Weaver.

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

No, R12/R14, I don't think that's beautiful at all. When did I suggest Mila Kunis was beautiful?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Lawarence is at best, average.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

OP reeks of a "starving actor" working at Denny's.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

How exactly is she phony r1? That's her appeal, she's unpretentious, quick witted and what you get is what you see. Compared to most stars she's real and way more mature than her age. She has no peers unless you go to the talented teen actresses.

And does anyone really care about the Oscars this year? It was such a weak year. Naomi Watts should have gotten it (lets face it Riva was lucky to get the nomination, that was pleasing enough) but SLP is hardly a "bad" travesty of a win.

And as keeps getting mentioned she has Winter's Bone which she should've won for, she didn't just come out of nowhere. She's one of the few who can move between franchises and serious fare. She was also very sexy on the red carpet for Winter's Bone compared to her character which was the first inkling of what a chameleon she was.

I see nothing to dislike really other than overexposure. At least she has something to offer compared to the other media whores.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

For you, OP

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

[quote]OP reeks of a "starving actor" working at Denny's.

Why is it when anyone on DataLounge airs an opinion, they're accusing of living in a basement, (if they dare question a celebrity), or being a shill, (if they dare say they like a product)?

People can live fulfilling lives, and shockingly fail to understand all the hype around an unremarkable celebrity, (Jennifer Lawrence for instance). I doubt the OP is a starving actor working at [italic]Denny's[/italic], his question is perfectly reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

She told me she hates you too op. So you are even.

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

R15 I mostly agree with r12 re: Levitt. Mysterious Skin was a very brave role but I just wasn't blown away. I did however like him in 50/50, finally saw it there. JGL is greatly overshadowed by Gosling in the young hipster actor stakes.

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

(R22) I agree that Gosling is the best young hipster actor out there. Gosling has shown himself to be a really great actor a few times over.

But I think JGL is very talented and would like to see him get some juicy roles.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

I get a phony vibe from her, R18.

[quote]How exactly is she phony [R1]? That's her appeal, she's unpretentious, quick witted and what you get is what you see.

Yes, and every star is always as sweet as their public image.

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

She just doesn't seem to be trying too hard though, it seems she's just naturally nonchalant and laid back but obviously hard working.

She doesn't pretend to be something she's not, or so it seems. Like when she got into her sexy red carpet gear after the dowdy Winter's Bone.

The likes of Witherspoon, Julia Roberts and JLo you can easily see behind the facade, but then they aren't as good an actress as JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

"She just doesn't seem to be trying too hard though"

That's probably an act, she's on top of the heap right now and nobody gets there without cutthroat ambition. I know you bitches love to hate Roberts and Witherspoon for being ruthless careerists, but Lawrence wouldn't be where she is today without some of the same drive.

She's probably a better actress than either, certainly she's better at playing America's Sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

Exactly, R26!

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

She looks gorgeous in R13 's picture.

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

"hat's her appeal, she's unpretentious, quick witted and what you get is what you see."

"Quick-witted?" I guess you think flipping the bird is "quick-witted."

In most interviews she seems kind of stoned. I guess she's a pothead. I mean, she was photgraphed with a joint in her hand; if she's that casual about it then she must do it regularly. I get the impression she'd no slouch in the drinking department, either.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

She doesn't look stunning in any picture and never will. She's very plain. Are the people making a fuss about her looks, the same ones doing so with Christina Hendricks?

by Anonymousreply 3005/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.