Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MAD MEN, 5/19/13, "The Crash"

Don receives an unexpected guest as the characters react in the wake of the RFK assassination.

by Anonymousreply 32305/27/2013

Poor Kenny!

Don has become a stalker.

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2013

Don's a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2013

I love Harry Hamlin.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

Dr. Feelgood! It was only a matter of time.

Bob Benson is being conceived!

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

Oh Jesus! A trippy episode... Like we needed that!

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2013

Harry Hamlin is hilarious and yay for the return of bitchy Betty and her shellacked hair.

I thought Don was going to fall down the stairs which would gratify the poster that always predicts that.

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2013

I wanna stick my needle into Stan's butt.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

Go Ken. Go Ken. Go Ken. Go Ken.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

...what condition my condition is in...

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2013

Don is high as a kite.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

this must be the episode where they told Jon Hamm he needs to wear tighter underwear. Check out the pants.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

Megan is leaving the kids with Sally. I don't have a good feeling about this.

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2013

Wendy and Megan both need to get their teefs fixed.

I am really hating this episode.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

Surely clean-cut Bob Benson did not fall for Dr. Feelgood's patter? Where have he & Joan got to?

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2013

Stan just got bleeped! He said "fucking."

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013

Not liking this at all.

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2013

Me neither, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2013

Who is the mystery woman in the Draper apartment?

by Anonymousreply 1805/19/2013

This is an unexpected turn...Does Ida actually know Don or did she steal his briefcase?

by Anonymousreply 1905/19/2013

Carla really let herself go!

by Anonymousreply 2005/19/2013

r16 - why not?

by Anonymousreply 2105/19/2013

I think Ida is going to toss Sally off the balcony and chop up Bobby and Gene into kindling wood.

by Anonymousreply 2305/19/2013

Worst. Episode. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 2405/19/2013

This is a phenomenal episode.

by Anonymousreply 2505/19/2013

Oh come on, it's not such a bad episode. I thought Stan and Peggy were cute together. However, Hamm is really overplaying this, as if he's doing an SNL takeoff of MM.

by Anonymousreply 2605/19/2013

She's looking for the watch.

by Anonymousreply 2705/19/2013

I'm loving this episode! When Megan gets home we may get a Valley of the Dolls style wig-pullin' with Ida!

And creeper Harry Hamlin is hilarious. Wonder if he's more into the girl, or Stan?

by Anonymousreply 2805/19/2013

I'm sore confused.

by Anonymousreply 2905/19/2013

Would a Negro woman be able to just waltz into a building in Manhattan in 1968?

by Anonymousreply 3005/19/2013

"She said she was your mother"

by Anonymousreply 3105/19/2013

It was al wort it just for the 1 minute Betty Megan catfight!

by Anonymousreply 3205/19/2013

What the hell? This is tripppppay!

by Anonymousreply 3305/19/2013

Would love to see Stan and Peggy together.

Who the hell is this black woman? Sally seems remarkably relaxed under the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2013

That was some high quality Betty right there, loaded for bear!

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

That was the worst last line in Madman history. Get it? Don has flashbacks about the whorehouse, and then he has a rough weekend, and he calls the ad agency a whorehouse.

Incredibly lame.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

Ida could have been any maid in the building. She came in the back door. Many people forget to lock service entries.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

Is Sally undergoing some sort of LSD trip?

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

[quote]Would a Negro woman be able to just waltz into a building in Manhattan in 1968?

About as likely as a Norwegian Catholic in Bay Ridge.

by Anonymousreply 3905/19/2013

So was Harry Hamlin's character under the influence, too? Because why else would he call Peggy over to watch Stan bang the daughter of his former co-partner? And when will we get to see Harry's silver dollar nipples?

by Anonymousreply 4005/19/2013

For the first 20 minutes I hated the episode, but ended up loving it.

by Anonymousreply 4105/19/2013

The scene w/ the robber first it was as if the Draper kids were hallucinating, too.

by Anonymousreply 4205/19/2013

Looks like Don will kill himself soon...

by Anonymousreply 4305/19/2013

Jesus FUCK, that was a terrible episode. Inept hillbilly whorehouse backstory, snoreorific affair dullsville, black maid thieving bullshite, and amphetamines as a cherry on top. What the fuck did I just watch?

UGH, what an uneven mess this season has been.

by Anonymousreply 4405/19/2013

That was terrible - wow, simply awful... was that for real?

by Anonymousreply 4505/19/2013

"I'm so glad we had this time together."

by Anonymousreply 4605/19/2013

Now do you believe me that Bob Benson is Dick and Aimee's kid?

by Anonymousreply 4705/19/2013

Betty is skinny again! Yeah! And I loved how she ripped Meagan a new one about the casting couch and mocking Don for his "working late".... And Henry saved the day by telling Betty to cool it...

by Anonymousreply 4805/19/2013

Henry must spend about 75% of his life telling Betty to calm down.

I'm hoping Peggy takes down Harry Hamlin. Her opinion carries a lot of weight at SCDP.

by Anonymousreply 4905/19/2013

I hope SDCP hires IDA.

by Anonymousreply 5005/19/2013

"Henry must spend about 75% of his life telling Betty to calm down."

lol, very true

by Anonymousreply 5105/19/2013

Poor Sally won't be able to watch an episode of Good Times now.

by Anonymousreply 5205/19/2013

[quote]Now do you believe me that Bob Benson is Dick and Aimee's kid?

I will merely entertain the idea now. Most whores know how to not have kids, though.

Speaking of Bob, did I miss him walking around? He's become my touchstone.

by Anonymousreply 5305/19/2013

[quote]Now do you believe me that Bob Benson is Dick and Aimee's kid?

Just like we believe that Megan is a corporate spy and that Don is going to do a header off the high-rise terrace.

by Anonymousreply 5405/19/2013

The flashbacks are overwrought and reveal nothing we couldn't already guess. Don had trouble letting go of Sylvia... then he did. WOW! Why not just put Don on the back burner for a while if there's nothing going on with him?

The Peggy and Stan scene was sweet but other than that, the show drew a blank.

It`s significant that in AMC`s ads they only show clips from the first few seasons. Mad Men was at it`s best when it was mired in early sixties glamor and cocktail culture.

by Anonymousreply 5505/19/2013

I always watch the immediate re-run, and tonight I am really looking forward to re-watching the Betty attacks Megan scene!

by Anonymousreply 5605/19/2013

Loved the episode. Poor Don.

by Anonymousreply 5805/20/2013

[quote]The flashbacks are overwrought and reveal nothing we couldn't already guess.

Exactly. If you tell me you were raised in a whorehouse, I can pretty much fill in the blanks.

I'm on the Betty bandwagon now. A hungry Betty is a bitchy Betty, and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 5905/20/2013

Sooo, Don trolling the service hallway because he missed Sylvia meant that he left his own apt's service door unlocked, and that allowed "Grandma Ida" aka Thief Lady to enter his apt, which put his kids at risk. Ergo, he realized his "leaving the door open" because of his hang-up on Sylvia had to stop. That's why he didn't speak to her in the elevator at the end? He was mooney-eyed over her one day and not the next?

by Anonymousreply 6005/20/2013

I thought the black woman was Sylvia's maid a'coming to collect some blackmail collateral over Don. "I saw you cheating w/ the Mrs. and I'm robbing you and if you complain, I got the goods on ya."

by Anonymousreply 6105/20/2013

Yes R60, he realized "I placed my children in very serious jeopardy due to my obsession with my neighbor's wife."

For Don, and most likely any other man with 3 kids, no more need be said.

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2013

I liked this episode too. Shook things up a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2013

Loved the episode by the end. It was just as jerky and confusing as time is on speed. Hard to follow but ultimately on the money. And I thought he was terrific. After all, it's a bizarre situation for someone to be faking a life and identity in such a structured environment outside the office. The office itself is as chaotic as Don's inner life must be with the two identities. bla bla bla yeah, I just got a shot too.

by Anonymousreply 6405/20/2013

I am starting to like Bobby, he is lazy trying to get little Gene to do his work and all he cares about is getting to watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 6505/20/2013

The whole episode highlighted Don's issues with women; beginning with his mommy issues. We are now forced to view all of his relationships with females, romantic (Megan) professional (Peggy) famial ( Sally)

The one woman that Don felt maternal love towards when he was sick ended upmtaking his virginity. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 6605/20/2013

Who was singing that beautiful cover of "Goin' Out of My Head" on Sylvia's radio that Don was listening to through the door?

by Anonymousreply 6705/20/2013

Ending music spot on again. Don isn't can't "win the girl's heart anymore" with any of the women in his life now.

by Anonymousreply 6805/20/2013

This show would be so much better if Don Draper was killed off.

The Grandma Ida stuff was hilarious and I enjoyed Ken Cosgrove and the boys going nuts with their Dr. Feelgood injections (especially Ken Cosgrove), as much as it is tedious that they give Peggy nothing to do except play the schoolmarm nowadays.

But enough of this fucking whorehouse bullshit flashbacks about Dick Whitman as an ugly trashy child already, Matthew Weiner.

And make this the last episode in which Sylvia appears, TOO!

P.S. more Betty/Joan/Pete please.

by Anonymousreply 6905/20/2013

Was it just me or did Freddie Mercury (Megan) make this all about herself? Her stupid comment about how she felt like fainting? That's right up there with her comment about Betty needing any reason to call (Betty cancer scare episode).

by Anonymousreply 7005/20/2013

Do you think Trudy's father fucked Grandma Ida?

by Anonymousreply 7105/20/2013

In the flashbacks, was Don's stepmother played by the same actress that plays Sylvia? If so was that always the case or just for the plot purpose of this episode? At first I also thought Grandma Ida the burglar was a fat Carla the Drapers former maid.

by Anonymousreply 7205/20/2013

More than watching the various characters freak out on speed, I liked watching the reactions of those who didn't partake. The whole Ken Cosgrove tap dancing monologue scene would have been terrible if it wasn't for Dawn's "The fuck?" expression in the background.

Also, I loved Peggy's sarcastic "That was very inspiring" quip when sweaty ass Don came into the brainstorming session and started babbling.

If she didn't know it already, this was the episode where Peggy realized that Don is actually terrible at his job even when he isn't fucked up on speed.

by Anonymousreply 7305/20/2013

Different actresses, R72, but they both had similar Betty Rubble-esque hair styles

by Anonymousreply 7405/20/2013

I loved this crazy ass episode. Who was the actress who played the teenage daughter of the dead guy? She looked familiar. Loved Ken's tapdance routine, Peggy & Stan's "tender moment" and then he fucks the daughter while creepy Harry Hamlin watches. And the Grandma Ida bit alternated between hilarious and scary. At least "Ida" knew enough to get the hell out after Sally called the cops. Though she was apparently caught. Loved how she knew how to bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 7505/20/2013

R67, I believe that was Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 performing, "Out of My Head." Their lead singer, Lani Hall, ended up marrying Herb Alpert, co-founder of A&M Records and he also headed the Tijuana Brass. The remake of "Sweet Dreams" at the end was by the Mamas and the Papas.

by Anonymousreply 7605/20/2013

But like Sally said, R75, Ida seemed to have an answer for everything, but that was only because Sally doesn't know anything about her father.

That was a such a sad scene and one of the best/understated moments of the show.

by Anonymousreply 7705/20/2013

Why did they name that character "Ida"? We already had Ida Blankenship!

The only thing worse than Don/Sylvia scenes are Don flashbacks. I think I'm supposed to care about Don more than I do. I generally find him to be a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 7805/20/2013

I always love the early versions of these threads, with DL's two obsessed, shut-in MadMen trolls talking to themselves over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 7905/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 8005/20/2013

That was Mama Cass Eliot & the Mamas & the Papas at the end. The song is "Words of Love." We had the album.

by Anonymousreply 8105/20/2013

Goodness, aren't you a little early this week, r79? Usually you don't start unleashing the "shut-in" line or the "don't you losers have something better to do" line much later in the discussion, when it becomes clear you're having trouble keeping up and lash out like an angry retard.

by Anonymousreply 8205/20/2013

Thought this was a great episode. Why do you people who hate the show and have complained all season keep watching?

by Anonymousreply 8305/20/2013

Stan swiveling his hips every time he talked in the creative room was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 8405/20/2013

It was good. Interesting how they're moving from the buttoned-down, repressed early 60s to the whacked-out, chaotic, no-limits later 60s. That really happened.

by Anonymousreply 8505/20/2013

There are actually seven different people in the first ten posts, r79.

by Anonymousreply 8605/20/2013

Joan was such a bitch last night.

by Anonymousreply 8705/20/2013

Thinking it over ... this truly was a terrible episode, with its silly speed weekend and the terrible last line. And playing the song " Going Out of My Head" while Don is going out of his head was really, really poor.

by Anonymousreply 8805/20/2013

Glad they ended that terrible storyline with Sylvia. That dragged down the entire series. Now if we just get rid of those awful flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 8905/20/2013

Jumping the shark? They jumped the shark on this show so long ago didn't they? I love what Harry Hamlin's doing on this show. He's a silver fox with a quirky and randy side. It's the role of his career. No I didn't forget about Making Love either.....

Stan as a sex symbol. Big stretch but I loved the interaction between Peggy and Stan.He finally got some and I wonder if Peggy was jealous or not.....she seemed genuinely shocked.

by Anonymousreply 9005/20/2013

As if nobody saw Don's deflowering by a whore coming.

by Anonymousreply 9105/20/2013

I wish Joan had been on the episode or better yet, had the shot.

by Anonymousreply 9205/20/2013

I wanted to know the name of the play Megan saw. On another theater related note--- when Alan Jay Lerner was working on ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER, he started taking Dr. Feelgood type shots.. there was a doctor who r made the rounds to all the theaters, hawking his feel good more/ energy vitamin shots. Lerner convinced several of the cast members and production team to get the shots. I think John Cullum didn't get them but pretty sure I read where Barbara Harris did... that started a very troublesome chaotic road to the opening.

by Anonymousreply 9305/20/2013

LOL Sally reading that paperback of ROSEMARY'S BABY-- I had that same one with the red cover....

by Anonymousreply 9405/20/2013

A wacky, unsatisfying episode, saved by the scene of Dawn, trapped behind her desk, witnessing Don and Cosgrove go off the deep end.

Kenny does a dance...

by Anonymousreply 9505/20/2013

I thought it was a great episode.. and I loved hearing Lani Hall's rendition of "Going Out of My Head." I had that Segio Mendes Brazil 66 LP... yes, I am a child of the 60's. Actually I was a teen of the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 9605/20/2013

What happened to Dawn's story arc?

by Anonymousreply 9705/20/2013

And the group goes further down the rabbit hole.

They really aren't kidding when they start each episode with a man falling down further and further. No happy ending for this group.

Matt Weiner said we were going to be shocked going back and watching the earlier episodes on how young they will all look compared to the series ending. That's now very believable.

by Anonymousreply 9805/20/2013

As someone who had a short experience with my own Dr. Feelgood, I thought the outward reactions to the shots were far greater than reality.

Perhaps the show chose to exaggerate, but I just laughed at how wrong they got it.

by Anonymousreply 9905/20/2013

From AMC: Next Episode: The Better Half

Roger is plagued by a recurring dream. Joan goes to the beach.

by Anonymousreply 10005/20/2013

It would be fun for Joan to fuck Harry Hamlin instead of that young kiss ass. Maybe Harry takes an interest in her cockblocking that butt smoocher.

by Anonymousreply 10105/20/2013

Hoping the Harry Hamlin character is gay. C'mon, this the world of advertising. There has to be at least one gay guy at the firm.

by Anonymousreply 10205/20/2013

The people I wanted to see on speed were Joan, Roger and especially Pete.

As someone who was something of a speed freak through college and mistakenly believed it enhanced and later enabled my creativity, I felt this episode rang true. Especially for the characters who were getting the shots for the very first time like Don, Stan and Ken.

by Anonymousreply 10305/20/2013

I know several people who get "B12 injections" and I always wonder if there any with speed in them these days. These are the same people who go to pain clinics to get a shot of demoral and fenegren when they have migraines, etc. They're shooting galleries for rich, white folks.

by Anonymousreply 10405/20/2013

Harry Hamlin could be gay R102 - he might have been ogling Stan during the sex scene!

by Anonymousreply 10505/20/2013

Was Ida Blankenship related to this Ida?

by Anonymousreply 10605/20/2013

Boy, Stan was so hot w/the beard! How could Peggy resist?

And thanks R60, missed the point about the open door and it being the result of Don's stalking Sylvia.

Seems like Megan is not staying home and watching the kids? What is she up to?

And yes, the final line about the whorehouse- was lame and too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 10705/20/2013

R107 She went with her agent to meet producers at a Broadway show. Or in the paraphased words of queen cuntbag herself Betty Draper, Megan was on the casting couch! Snarky Betty BUT true. Nice line from Betty about Don as well.

Home Invasion Ida had no relationship to Ida Blackenship. She was probably a maid that knew the families from talking to or listening to the families she worked for. Thus this is how Ida knew Draper's name.

I would rather see Hamlin screw Joan then him being family. Bring Sal back and give us an update on his life. At this point he must be living with a man in The Village. No not The Prisoners' Village but Greenwich.....

by Anonymousreply 10805/20/2013

Mad Men will be gay-free throughout the end of the series. Weiner has an aversion to gays.

by Anonymousreply 10905/20/2013

Either that or while she was looking around the apt. she saw Don's name on mail, etc.

by Anonymousreply 11005/20/2013

Matt Weiner loves the idea of having multiple characters on the show with the same first names or similar first names because it's like real life. Thus we have Bert Campbell and Burt Peterson, Margaret (Peggy) Olsen and Margaret Sterling (Roger's daughter), Don and Dawn, Trudy Campbell and Judy Campbell, etc. So now we have Ida Blankenship and "Grandma Ida."

by Anonymousreply 11105/20/2013

One thing I just don't get is why Matt Weiner always gets these really homely young actors to play the child Dick Whitman or the teenage Dick Whitman. I realize part of the point of the poverty of Don's childhood is that he always has terrible clothes and a bowl haircut, but I don;t get why the actors are always so homely--they don't look a thing like Jon Hamm. It's inconceivable the teenage boy last night could have grown up to be Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 11205/20/2013

For a hot second, I thought Ida had something to do with that soldier Don met in ep 1, when he and Megan were in HI. Remember, they have each other's lighters with the names on them. I thought maybe the soldier had died, the DD lighter was found on the body and Ida was his grandmother or something. I still think the lighter may come into play at some point. That would throw a monkey wrench into Don's charade.

Don isn't used to women ending his dalliances. Was Midge the only one to do that? I can't remember.

I liked this episode. It was out there but in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 11305/20/2013

Jon Hamm broods for the camera!

Peggy pouts, snarks and reminds someone who doesn't care that she's very smart and deserving of more!

Somebody says something to Joan, Joan delivers a quick, snappy response and glides away in a too-tight dress!

Nobody sees Betty!

The bad actress with the beaver teeth gets lots of screen time. LOTS. ..and nobody will understand why. NOBODY.

Roger says something witty and pours a drink!

Pete gets really, really angry about something!

Jon Hamm broods more. His increasingly unattractive body is shown because we still think it's 2008!

The office is shown for a full 60 seconds. 60!

The end.

by Anonymousreply 11405/20/2013

[quote]Don isn't used to women ending his dalliances. Was Midge the only one to do that? I can't remember.

Midge never formally ended it with him, but she made it clear she was more into Roy (the more Bohemian guy she was also dating), and he became distracted at the time by his relationship with Rachel Mencken. They just kind of drifted apart.

Rachel ended it with him when he wanted to run a way with her and abandon his family after he thought Pete would expose him and his life would be ruined. He was clearly regretful afterward she dumped him.

But he was the one who dumped Bobbie Barrett (the comedian's wife and manager), Suzanne Farrell (Sally's teacher), and Faye Miller (the research specialist who freelanced for SCDP).

by Anonymousreply 11505/20/2013

There's only been one child actor playing the young Dick Whitman.

When he started, he looked closer to Jon Hamm, but as he ages there's a bigger difference.

It's not that big of a part, so they probably keep him in the role to be nice, rather than to cast a new young male model who looks more Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 11605/20/2013

[quote]But he was the one who dumped Bobbie Barrett (the comedian's wife and manager)

I thought the motherly prostitute in last night's episode was made up to resemble Bobbie Barrett.

by Anonymousreply 11705/20/2013

Please, Hamm is hardly a great-looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 11805/20/2013

I'm so sure a lot of men can relate to Don who also had trashy mothers. The trashy mothers who put themselves first in front of their children. The issue is all about control of the women in their lives, including sisters. Anything the women do that reminds them of their mother gets outright disapproval. The theme is all about Don's control issues as he tries to "fix" his mother.

Betty has got it all. A great man and lives in a mansion. The finale will probably focus on how Betty's life worked out so well for her. They'll win the election and Betty will become a celebrated wife of a politician. Megan will go onto a better career. It's all leading up to Don's suicide attempt and/or nervous breakdown. An addiction to amphetamines will speed up his downfall. Megan will end up leaving him for connections in the theater. I hope Megan starts buying Don cartons of smokes so he has no excuse to run out.

That Grandma Ida was a dead wringer for Oprah. Wonder if that was intended?

by Anonymousreply 11905/20/2013

[quote]Please, Hamm is hardly a great-looking guy.

He's hideous, isn't he? Just horrible in every way.

At the link, DL's idea of a really handsome guy

by Anonymousreply 12005/20/2013

I don't think the Sylvia thing is over. I still think Megan Or Dr. R will find out. Not that the affair will continue, but that there will be reprecssions. I don't think she's going to like it that he's suddenly over her like that.

by Anonymousreply 12105/20/2013

Grandma Ida's next grift.

by Anonymousreply 12205/20/2013

Does anyone think the Sylvia actress is possibly Weiner's mistress? She is totally unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 12305/20/2013

I agree 123.

by Anonymousreply 12405/20/2013

R123, you mean Linda Cardellini?

by Anonymousreply 12505/20/2013

Oh, dear. Somebody's gone and upset the homophobic, daddy-issues frau-cunt at R120.

How DARE anyone insult Mr. Jon Hamm. Well, he's downright DREAMY and would be the perfect husband for any gal, right R120?

What are all these QUEERS doing here on this site anyway? Don't they know this is a place for mommies, single gals and empowered womyn?!

by Anonymousreply 12605/20/2013

[quote]Joan was such a bitch last night.

What? Joan wasn't on the show last night.

by Anonymousreply 12705/20/2013

Don't quit your day job, R114/126.

by Anonymousreply 12805/20/2013

Since Meghan is not the dream mom to his children that he envisioned (remember the Disney land sequence?)- he should have stuck it out w/Faye Miller- a much better match. oh well.

by Anonymousreply 12905/20/2013

I think Don/Peggy are endgame. Her relationship with Abe Ginsberg is a snore.

by Anonymousreply 13005/20/2013

Only Andrew Trischitta would be suitable as young Dick.

by Anonymousreply 13105/20/2013

I was so afraid for Kenny in the opening scene.

by Anonymousreply 13205/20/2013

I would have been more satisfied with an hour of watching Megan try on outfits and falls (and I don't care how MARY! that is -- you bitches would have too).

by Anonymousreply 13305/20/2013

Loved Meaghan in those stylized 60s outfits. There are photos w/my mother w/those wigs and 60s makeup cakes on. I love the look.

by Anonymousreply 13405/20/2013

Not always a big fan of Sally's, but she is right. None of his children know anything about 'Don,' so the lady could have been their grandmother. Truly sad.

by Anonymousreply 13505/20/2013

I'm being totally MARY, but getting through that WTF episode was worth it just for that catty exchange between Megan and Betty near the end. That sort of drama is gold. There needs to be more of that. Why is January Jones used so sparingly? She's definitely more interesting to watch than Lizzy Moss.

by Anonymousreply 13605/20/2013

r136 co-sign. Peggy is a big bore. Betty is fantastic and many layered.

by Anonymousreply 13705/20/2013

Last night was an homage to the 60s Dr. Max Jacobson, who was commonly known as DR. FEELGOOD, the darling of the glitterati crowd. His shots of 'vitamins' & speed were given to JFK, Jacki, Eddie Fisher & many others.,

by Anonymousreply 13805/20/2013

Agree #30, she had to have used the servants entrance in the back of the building, otherwise the doorman would not have let her in.

by Anonymousreply 13905/20/2013

[R123], you mean Linda Cardellini?

No, doofus, he means the OTHER actress who plays Sylvia. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 14005/20/2013

So much of this episode was self-indulgent and just dumb (like much of the rest of the season, but this was a concentrated dose).

The best part was when Don came home to find a slimmed-down, blonde-lacquered Betty on the couch with Megan and the kids. January Jones dug her teeth into that little scene, and her snide little jab at Megan being out at "the casting couch" was the best thing all night.

I did laugh when the Draper kid asked, wonderingly, "Are WE Negroes?"

by Anonymousreply 14105/20/2013

I loved how Betty screamed about Henry running for office. She just had to get that in there. I love that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14205/20/2013

[quote]Please, Hamm is hardly a great-looking guy.

While I'm sure he's nowhere near good enough for you, hon, most people in America do consider him quite attractive.

by Anonymousreply 14305/20/2013

Aimee's titties turned me for a short period of time. Lucky Dick.

by Anonymousreply 14405/20/2013

Being one who always defended Mad Men against classifications like "soap opera", I never thought I'd say this, but last night's episode was a little on the soapy side.

by Anonymousreply 14505/20/2013

What an asshole Don is, throwing the phone at his glass liquor bottles and then having Dawn clean it up. I was rooting for him the first 2 seasons but now I am enjoying his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 14605/20/2013

"I have a heart condition"

"Don't worry about it!"

by Anonymousreply 14705/20/2013

Seriously. I can't believe I had to clean up that fucking speed freak's liquor bottles.

Maybe I'll slip a little something in the new ones I put out there...

by Anonymousreply 14805/20/2013

TLo will have a field day with the earth tones on this episode.

by Anonymousreply 14905/20/2013

With THE KILLING starting June 2nd, anyone know how many MM episodes are left? I assume tAMC is pre-empting the show for THE KILLING's 2 hour premiere.

by Anonymousreply 15005/20/2013

Sylvia, Linda Cardenelli, looks like shit with that ugly ass short hairstyle & overly dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 15105/20/2013

I found myself wondering last night if Matt Weiner would have the balls to kill off Don Draper this season, leaving the rest of the Mad Men world to go on and deal for the last season.

by Anonymousreply 15205/20/2013

Why did they have LC do that phone scene with the cord over her face, holding the receiver in her left hand? She looked horrible. I guess it had something to do with the out of kilter tone of the show but still.

by Anonymousreply 15305/20/2013

I think it's 4 epis left, R150.

by Anonymousreply 15405/20/2013

Matt Weiner is clearly doing a lot of things with the show now to test the audience's patience, such as his making this episode very confusing and nightmarish, and (still!) refusing to say what the firm's new name is. It's just like him and his control freak tendencies to do this--still, I thought the episode was very interesting and unusual. It reminded me of the Howard Johnson's/LSD episode last season which also was experimental in structure and style.

It's a shock now seeing Betty thin again and back to her bottle blonde hair color.

I don't know why Weiner would be loyal to this child actor playing the young Dick Whitman when he's been through four or five different child actors playing Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 15505/20/2013

I wish Weiner would quick fucking with the audience and show some mercy - and respect - for us. Fat chance, he hates the fans.

by Anonymousreply 15605/20/2013

[quote]I don't know why Weiner would be loyal to this child actor playing the young Dick Whitman when he's been through four or five different child actors playing Bobby.

Um - because the flashbacks go to one specific time where the kid is the same age, whereas Bobby Draper has been portrayed at ages 3-5-7-10 and sometimes a three year old doesn't grow up to be a fine 7-year-old actor.

by Anonymousreply 15705/20/2013

I was almost thinking Grandma Ida was real. I thought maybe she was connected to the whorehouse in some way and maybe showed Dick some kindness. He didn't look very enthusiastic about Aimee, I think that was child molestation. No wonder he's all fucked up. He payed her five dollars?

by Anonymousreply 15805/20/2013

The last Bobby is now on that show One Upon a Time

by Anonymousreply 15905/20/2013

One of the Bobbys got a much better gig as one of the leads on ABC's Once Upon A Time.

I think it was the Bobby who publicly said that January Jones was a bitch to work with.

by Anonymousreply 16005/20/2013

[quote]...January Jones was a bitch to work with.

I so hope that's true.

by Anonymousreply 16105/20/2013

R158 - He didn't pay her anything. The prostitute told her pimp that he owed her money; she has sex with Dick and was owed $5 for it.

by Anonymousreply 16205/20/2013

Bitch or not, Jan Jones and Hamm have terrific chemistry, and something was lost when the writers had them divorce and reduced Betty to a walk-on character.

by Anonymousreply 16305/20/2013

I agree R163

by Anonymousreply 16405/20/2013

I still can't tell if that was the best or the worst thing I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 16505/20/2013

I love the DL Mad Men threads. Post after post saying how terrible the episode was, yet there they are posting in the next episode thread. And the next. And the next.

They obviously love the show but their need to be bitch trumps their ability to say so, even Anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 16605/20/2013

R166 is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16705/20/2013

Wow - I remember the days when we used to complain there was too much betty and not enough workplace. Now many seem to be clamoring for Betts.

by Anonymousreply 16805/20/2013

For me what made the show exciting was Don hiding his real identity from Betty. Once she found out and they split the show became less interesting for me.

by Anonymousreply 16905/20/2013

I thought this whole episode was a waste. It didn't advance anything. It would be one thing if there were 22 episodes a season, but there are probably only half that

by Anonymousreply 17005/20/2013

January Jones is such a limited actress. All she can play with any conviction is bitch

by Anonymousreply 17105/20/2013

Is the Chevy account Mad Men’s Vietnam? I have a crackpot theory: After a season that began by teasing a year of violence in Vietnam, this episode’s trip down the rabbit hole finally led to that distant war abroad—a “fever dream” treatment of the nation’s panic not unlike the show’s treatment of the Kennedy assassination—or at least that’s how I’d explain everything that went down at the office.

That’s where most of the episode takes place, with Draper, Chaough, and co. faced with an uphill, years-long battle—to conquer the apparently impossible demands of Chevrolet—that they’re deluding themselves they can win. On some level they all seem to know they can’t do it. Early on, someone notes that they need to recruit more men. But instead they press on with blind optimism, on the grounds of what they see as their heretofore perfect record. That’s how Don sees it, anyway: “In my heart I know we cannot be defeated,” he says, in a delirious rallying speech that seems oddly hawkish for an ad agency. Some say their work will take several years, he explains, but all it will really take is an idea. If only they could figure out what that idea was.

If the company is blind to its doomed mission, Kenneth Cosgrove starts the episode literally blinded, with hands over his eyes and a gun to his head. His faceless bosses at Chevrolet are forcing the young man to race into danger, though all he wants to do is go home. When this campaign leaves him injured—the first casualty of the Chevy account—and he returns home hobbling around on a cane, he’s left like a Vietnam veteran: No one understands or cares about his injuries, mental or physical. It’s this experience that drives him into a fugue of tap dance, in which he complains about having had guns fired by his head. Still, he carries on, because that’s company orders.

To boost morale and keep the troops alert through the battle, Jim Cutler calls in Dr. Hex to administer amphetamines. In addition to paralleling an actual New York doctor, Max Jacobson aka Dr. Feelgood, who was later exposed for keeping the city’s rich and famous (not to mention John F. Kennedy) fueled on amphetamines, Hex’s practices also mirror those of the U.S. Armed Forces, which administered amphetamines to sleep-deprived soldiers during Vietnam. As Cutler puts it, when telling Don to see Dr. Hex, “that’s an order.”

Just as unusual is the appearance of Frank Gleason’s hippie daughter, Wendy, who shows up to administer to a different set of needs. We first see her come on to Don, who doesn’t mince words when describing her: “Every time we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse!” he complains, referring to Wendy’s advances as well as a number of other recent Mad Men events. While Wendy’s choices of reading material (the I Ching) and recreation (I Ching coin divination) are not out of character for a hippie, they also code her promiscuous character as Eastern, like the prostitutes who sprung up around American servicemen stationed in Vietnam.

Finally, at the center of this maelstrom is Stan, who spends the episode trying to forget about his cousin, whom he reveals was killed in action. This perhaps explains why he spends the episode (just as he has much of the season) dressed in a green, two-pocketed shirt, not unlike those worn by soldiers like his cousin. (Ken, too, wears an unusual, camo-colored tie.) At one point in his deranged sadness he even plays a game of William-Tell-meets-Russian-roulette, which for me couldn’t help but bring to mind another image of Vietnam trauma, perhaps the most iconic in our culture: [see pic at link]

Toward the end of the episode, when Stan confesses his grief over Vietnam to Peggy, Peggy responds with some sage advice: “You have to let yourself feel it. You can’t dampen it with drugs and sex.” Stan doesn’t follow Peggy’s advice—instead, he pays a visit to Wendy—and no one else does, either.

by Anonymousreply 17205/20/2013

[quote]January Jones is such a limited actress. All she can play with any conviction is bitch

Agreed. Yet her character is the only clear Ice Queen in the show (has she ever shed a tear?) and now everyone seems to be clamoring for her return.

by Anonymousreply 17305/20/2013

I need to see Ken Cosgrove naked NOW.

by Anonymousreply 17405/20/2013

Agreed, R174. That's a smoking hot photo.

Hated the episode, as I hate all drug-trip episodes.

But I love me some miniskirt-wearing, Rosemary's Baby-reading Sally Draper.

by Anonymousreply 17505/20/2013

Wow, since lanky is the only male type I'm not into, I never looked at Ken sexually...until that photo, r174!

by Anonymousreply 17605/20/2013

WHOA. Ken has a hairy chest:

by Anonymousreply 17705/20/2013

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks Don does love Sylvia. As much as he is capable, anyway. He snubbed her in the elevator because he was still hurt.

by Anonymousreply 17805/20/2013

Why is there this cone of silence surrounding the fact that Don was raped by that prostitute, who then declared that she was owed $5 for doing it?

I've seen lots of off-handed mentions in the reviews, recaps and comments on them that she "seduced" him or "deflowered" him or "slept" with him or he "lost" his virginity to her - but nothing stating the real truth of what happened.

It's really quite infuriating to me, which probably earns me a MARY! But honestly... nobody's going to say anything? No one at all?

by Anonymousreply 17905/21/2013

It was the 1940's. When an adult woman fucked a minor it was not considered rape, but merely getting very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 18005/21/2013

To the 14 year old being raped, it is rape.

by Anonymousreply 18105/21/2013

Won't somebody PUHLEEEEEEEZ think of the children!!

by Anonymousreply 18205/21/2013

I forget who said it, but one reviewer stated that Don Draper's history in the brothel is no longer the backstory of a womanizer, it's the backstory of a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 18305/21/2013

[quote]To the 14 year old being raped, it is rape

Yet another viewer inserting 2013 values on 1945 narrative.

by Anonymousreply 18405/21/2013

Did Aimee look a bit like a young Sylvia to anyone else?

Loved the line Every time we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse!

by Anonymousreply 18505/21/2013

I agree - it was a creepy nightmare Weiner forced us to endure - maybe it was a masterpiece. Mad Men will be forgotten a year after the series ends. Who talks about the Sopranos or Six Feet Under anymore - the same thing will happen to Mad Men. I think the nightmare is going to get worse, killing Don really could happen.

by Anonymousreply 18605/21/2013

I don't think killing Don will happen, but it won't be a happy prosperous ending for anyone adhering to the 1960's advertising business model.

by Anonymousreply 18705/21/2013

Serial killer? What? Will it be revealed in the series finale that Don Draper is the Smoke Monster?

by Anonymousreply 18805/21/2013

The best line was the dead partner's daughter holding the stethoscope on Don's chest, saying she wanted to listen to his heart but it was broken. The expression in Don's face alone was priceless, and the daughter's comedic timing was perfect as Don says, "You can tell?" And she replies,"Yes, it's broken" meaning the stethoscope.

by Anonymousreply 18905/21/2013

Bobby gets some good lines

"I hate it!" when Betty dyed her hair Liz Taylor-black

"Will Henry get shot?" in the MLK episode

"Are we Negroes?" confused about "Grandma Ida"

by Anonymousreply 19005/21/2013

I hope next week's episode has Grandma Ida showing up at the office on a riding mower runnin' over everybody feets!

by Anonymousreply 19105/21/2013

This JMHO, but I was wondering why they gave MW the greenlight for this series because imho, he fucked up the Sopranos last season with the "dream" shit if anyone remembers.

by Anonymousreply 19205/21/2013

I don't think the Sylvia storyline is over, because of Dr. Rosen. He looks a lot like Matthew Weiner, and I think Weiner identifies with the character. I don't know a lot about Weiner's personal life, but I assumed he was gay. I'd be surprised if he was fucking Linda Cardellini, stranger things have happened.

Roger and death continues to be a theme this entire season. I'm guessing his dream has something to do with that.

Bob Benson and Don Draper haven't had a scene together yet. I'd love it if "Bob Benson" found a way around being drafted, and is able to use his smile and few moves to get Don to promote him. Just as Don did to Roger.

by Anonymousreply 19305/21/2013

I have a feeling Dr. Rosen is leading a secret life. Maybe he is having an affair or he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 19405/21/2013

I loved Ida talking about giving the kids presents while trying to pull the TV out of the wall. Have to admit, Ida had some balls, just walking in, helping herself, and taking time to cook for Sally. Makes no sense. What happen to grab n go?

by Anonymousreply 19505/21/2013

The actor who plays Dick Whitman is unfortunate-looking. Those ears!!

I think they're phasing out Joan. She barely made a peep all episode, and next week she "goes to the beach." Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 19605/21/2013

Don & Bob did have a scene together in the first episode of the season. Bob gave him one of his extra cups of coffee that he always has around.

True story, my grandparents and their friends all had uniformed African-American maids. When we would visit and go over to my grandmother's best friend's house, their maid would take me down into the basement and keep me company while the women visited. Her name was Ida Mae and I loved her. She was the sweetest woman. Probably hated having to entertain a spoiled 8 year old but it never showed. Seeing this bastardized version of Ida last night was disconcerting. Somewhat unrelated, but Ida Mae really was like family, as was my grandmother's maid. I'm sure it was a love-hate relationship but my grandmother and her maid were super close. It wasn't all like The Help.

by Anonymousreply 19705/21/2013

r196, I doubt they're phasing out Joan. Hendricks is supposedly one of the most popular actors on the show. EVERY character seems to have suffered this season as that Don/Sylvia snorefest devoured the show.

by Anonymousreply 19805/21/2013

For R177:

by Anonymousreply 19905/21/2013

the Don/Sylvia affair was a snooze-fest. Don going over the moon for Sylvia (which was an obvious fixation Don had for his step-mother; Sylvia looked very much like her) was just plain boring.

We get it Weiner, Don has women issues!!

by Anonymousreply 20005/21/2013

I can't get past Ken's double chin. They do a good job of hiding that on the show. Next...

by Anonymousreply 20105/21/2013

Meth Mad Men!

Just what a always prayed to the Lord Jesus for!

by Anonymousreply 20205/21/2013

R180, it was in the '30s, not the '40s.

by Anonymousreply 20305/21/2013

Stepmother? Where's his real mom?

by Anonymousreply 20405/21/2013

I doubt Appalachian whores were ever up on the latest styles, r203.

by Anonymousreply 20505/21/2013

Weiner will really need to "Dynasty" up this show if he wants to keep my attention. I want real nail-biting cliffhangers, catfights, switched at birth storylines, ect.... Otherwise it's so boring.

by Anonymousreply 20605/21/2013

I love this show, so it is painful when it turns amateurish, as it did last night with the flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 20705/21/2013

[quote]Is the Chevy account Mad Men’s Vietnam?

Perceptive. I buy it.

by Anonymousreply 20805/21/2013

I think we need to break down the whorehouse timeline b/c a lot of people are confused about it and I think it's due to a lapse in attention to detail on Weiner's part.

Don Draper's 40th birthday party was in 1966. Was Dick Whitman older or younger than Don Draper? If we're going by the real Draper birth date, then the flashback scenes are roughly 1940 and even later if Dick Whitman is younger than Draper. Why do they look like they're taking place in 1932? It's like the characters have gotten older in the flashbacks but they're still taking place right after Whitman's dad got kicked by the horse. I really don't want to see any more whorehouse flashbacks. I'd love to see a flashback to Don meeting model Betty or something like that but no more Depression-era stuff. It drags everything down.

by Anonymousreply 20905/21/2013

R209 I don't think they could do a Don and Betty meeting flashback.

They would need to use Hamm and Jones for that, and he looks too haggard now to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 21005/21/2013

Cut Don some slack for the kids' not knowing about his past. He is right not to tell them about it until they are much older.

by Anonymousreply 21105/21/2013

Don snubbed Sylvia in the elevator because of two things:

He's worked it out that he developed a fixation on her because of her resemblance to Aimee, who was the mother/whore of his youth. The beauty mark was the give-away.

He realized that his obsession with her resulted in him leaving his back door unlocked which led to his children being put at risk by the intruder.

by Anonymousreply 21205/21/2013

[quote]They would need to use Hamm and Jones for that, and he looks too haggard now to pull it off.

He's made to look haggard as Don ages, and continues to drink and smoke his face off. They could probably make him look young enough for a Don-and-Betty-meet flashback.

But frankly, enough with the flashbacks. For the most part, they've always been pretty cheesy and cringe-y to watch (though the ones featuring Hamm as older young Don are better than the ones with Depression-era child/teen Don) but in the beginning, they served a purpose. At this point, we know as much as we need to know about Don's back story, so let's just stay in the present and avoid the cringe factor.

by Anonymousreply 21305/21/2013

We're stuck with whatever the rest of the season has so if it's more flashbacks, nothing we can do.

by Anonymousreply 21505/21/2013

[quote] It's not possible to understand Don's behavior without knowing about his childhood.

I disagree, at least inasmuch as the subject has been more than sufficiently mined in the past so as not to require more --and by now tedious-- flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 21605/21/2013

R209, I think we did see a flashback of Don meeting Betty. I seem to remember Betty modeling a fur coat or something and Don walking into the showroom or whatever it was. She looked at him, he looked at her and he said some smooth Don Draper line to her.

Any Mad Men scholars remember that?

by Anonymousreply 21705/21/2013

Didn't he buy her the fur coat? Or was that when he stuck his portfolio in the fur that Rodger got for Joan? But, yes, we've seen them meet. And I agree, enough w/ the fucking flashbacks. The lady who plays his mom is a shitty actress. The scenes come off like filler.

by Anonymousreply 21805/21/2013

His mom died in childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 21905/21/2013

The flashbacks are completely absurd. It's pretend psychology. See, Don had a bad incident with his mother, she hit him with a spoon, and that's why he hates women today. See, Don was very poor once, so that's why he values money.

by Anonymousreply 22005/21/2013

You are a simplistic thinker, R220, as exemplified by the fact that Don does not just hate women or particularly care about money. His relationships with both are much more complex. Incidents from his past are meant to give us an insight into his character and to motivate his current behavior. They are not mean to be formulaic answers to simple questions.

by Anonymousreply 22105/21/2013

I don't remember them meeting. I remember Don meeting Roger and there was a poster of Betty modelling a fur on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 22205/21/2013

his real mom was a prostitute who died in child birth. although, how she ever knew that he was the father is anyone's guess. Don lived with his father and step-mom. then the dad died.

in the flashbacks in the whorehouse, they didn't show his stepbrother.

by Anonymousreply 22305/21/2013

I haven't seen this new season, is Aimee his stepmother? And she fucks him too? Do they have a longterm fuck affair?

by Anonymousreply 22405/21/2013

[quote]We're stuck with whatever the rest of the season has so if it's more flashbacks, nothing we can do.

Why, thank you, Captain Obvious. The rest of us were under the impression that Matt Weiner was going to reshoot the remaining episodes based on feedback from DL.

by Anonymousreply 22505/21/2013

[quote] I remember Don meeting Roger and there was a poster of Betty modelling a fur on the wall.

The circumstances of that meeting (and subsequent trajectory) between a green and not-long-off-the-farm Don and a privileged, established Roger always seemed so much more interesting than the endless flashbacks to Don's hardscrabble roots. Yet the class and workplace dynamic between those two men, while significant, has been relatively unexplored (and the time has long passed when it might have made sense to touch more on this.)

by Anonymousreply 22605/21/2013

Just any other threads here get an equal number of pompous, pretentious posts?

by Anonymousreply 22705/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 22805/21/2013

r226 is Mad Men really this deep? I feel like these Mad Men threads turn into the Cliff Notes guide to each episode.

by Anonymousreply 22905/21/2013

The stepmother was pregnancy earlier in the season when they first moved to the whorehouse.

by Anonymousreply 23005/21/2013

Oh Aimee, nothing sexier than fucking a homely boy in dirty overalls who was hacking out his lungs and had a fever.

by Anonymousreply 23105/21/2013

I despise R221. Can't wait 'til he gets a job.

by Anonymousreply 23205/21/2013

I'm flattered.

by Anonymousreply 23305/21/2013

r229 personally I think MM is this deep, probably the deepest show on tv currently. I'm not even interested in GOT at all, just MM.

by Anonymousreply 23405/21/2013

R196 They are not phasing out Joan. It was just this episode where she wasn't prominent.

by Anonymousreply 23505/21/2013

Mad Men leaves a lot of the plot and subtext open for the audience to interpret.

Audiences need to pay attention to get many of the details of the show.

Judging from many of the postings week after week, for a lot of the audience, the show's late airtime and their final alcohol/medication consumption for the evening interfere with interpreting many of the show's messages.

by Anonymousreply 23605/21/2013

What should've been Knots Landing set in ad agency in the 1960s, essentially a well-crafted potboiler, has been nothing more than pseudoliterary pretentiousness. It's fun to make fun of Mad Men because everyone connected with it are so full of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 23705/21/2013

"Pretentiousness" is not a word.

The word is "pretension."

by Anonymousreply 23805/21/2013

R237 Why are you so threatened by people who like something different from what you like?

by Anonymousreply 23905/21/2013

[quote]What should've been Knots Landing set in ad agency in the 1960s,

Why the hell should it have been that? Sure, some people can get a little ridiculous about MM but that's no reason for the producers to strive to produce crap.

by Anonymousreply 24005/21/2013

R237 needs to stick to books they sell at the airport.

by Anonymousreply 24105/21/2013

[quote]"Pretentiousness" is not a word.

You probably should have checked on that before posting, toots.

by Anonymousreply 24205/21/2013

[qote] Yet her character is the only clear Ice Queen in the show (has she ever shed a tear?)

Best scene of the whole series

by Anonymousreply 24305/21/2013

[quote]What should've been Knots Landing set in ad agency in the 1960s, essentially a well-crafted potboiler

That would have been a fantastic show for pinheads.

by Anonymousreply 24405/21/2013

[quote]Mad Men will be forgotten a year after the series ends.

I completely disagree. Mad Men is a brilliant depiction of social and political change within one of the most turbulent and subversive decades of the 20th century. I predict that the series will be referenced in many college-level courses for many years to come.

I also predict that "Mad Men" will have a long run in syndication.

The earlier poster I partially quoted at the beginning of this post is wrong to compare "Mad Men" with "The Sopranos" and "Six-Feet Under" in terms of how the public quickly forgets TV shows when they end.

"Mad Men" captures the zeitgeist of a fascinating period in American history. The other two shows mentioned did not.

by Anonymousreply 24505/21/2013

I wrote the Knots comment. I meant just something glossier and more melodramatic, which doesn't translate to low-quality. Maybe more something like The Best of Everything and it's 60s NY feel combined with the tight writing of a Knots, but with raunchier, more provocative situations and nudity. Maybe I'm just too stupid to appreciate these MM nuaunces, so I usually wind up watching for the clothes and the cool 60s vibe, but whatever plot there is bore me to tears. And say what you want about Knots but it still cherished 20 years after leaving the air and will be remembered for a long time after MM goes off the air and becomes a footnote in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 24605/21/2013

People haven't forgotten the Sopranos -- and its influence is everywhere on tv.

by Anonymousreply 24705/21/2013

Agree with r247. The Sopranos is just as good now then when it first aired. I always watch whatever rerun they are airings on HBO and it sucks me right back in.

by Anonymousreply 24805/21/2013

[quote]And say what you want about Knots but it still cherished 20 years after leaving the air

By whom??? I am an elder gay, and I barely knew anyone who watched that shit when it first aired, let alone who still cares about it now.

by Anonymousreply 24905/21/2013

Stan's wig was terrible. And I'm jealous of that hippy slut chick bouncing on his cock.

by Anonymousreply 25105/21/2013

[quote]Careful, [R249], your ignorance is showing. Such a dismissive attitude. Knots Landing is very much remembered and admired by TV journalists and viewers alike years after the final episode.

I'm afraid I must confess to the same ignorance. Knots Landing was third-rate Dallas and who watches old Dallas episodes?

by Anonymousreply 25205/21/2013

Ignorance of Knots Landing is an ignorance I can live with r250. But this statement from Wikipedia does not make it sound like millions of people still remember the show with overwhelming fondness:

"The first season of Knots Landing was released on DVD on March 28, 2006 in Region 1. Fans of the series lobbied Warner Home Video via an online petition at for further releases, and Warner Home Video released Season Two on April 14, 2009. There are currently no plans for any further seasons being released due to unsatisfactory sales of the first two seasons."

by Anonymousreply 25305/21/2013

My favorite show of all time used to be Lost, but after they fucked up the last season and the ending I can't even watch reruns.

Please MW don't fuck up Mad Men's ending.

by Anonymousreply 25405/21/2013

Not to go off topic, but r254 is right; Lost reruns are unwatchable.

Mad Men is a soap. And if they screw up the ending, why watch? I enjoy Arrested Development and Six Feet Under reruns because of their solid endings.

by Anonymousreply 25505/21/2013

Mad Men, Lost, and SFU are all watchable as re-runs.

by Anonymousreply 25605/22/2013

r256 I agree. Although not necessarily because they are bad shows. Just that dramas that aren't episodic don't get syndication.

by Anonymousreply 25705/22/2013

Loved this episode!

Loved the drugged out scenes., Grandma Ida and the flashbacks.

Bonus points. "The Prisoner" was on Sally's TV....

And Ken Cosgrove's tap dance.

by Anonymousreply 25805/22/2013

[quote] I don't think the same will be said of The Wire.

Who here mentioned that show??

by Anonymousreply 25905/22/2013

5 triple time steps and 5 step-shuffle-cross pick-ups. Toss the cane up and catch with same hand.

by Anonymousreply 26005/22/2013

Toots and all, r242 is right.

by Anonymousreply 26105/22/2013

Sylvia is the single worst character ever to appear on Mad Men. Jesus Christ, bring back Bobbie Barrett if this is the kind of shit they're going to pull now.

The black cat burglar scene had some tension, despite being ludicrous, but overall they don't seem to know what to do on this show anymore.

The scenes last week of Bob Benson and Joan and this week with Stan and Peggy felt like the good old days. Plus hungry, angry Betty back with a vengeance. Otherwise, half the time I don't know what I'm watching or what the point of the scenes are.

by Anonymousreply 26205/22/2013

ITA with R262.

That was not just the worst episode of Mad Men but one of the worst episodes of any show I've ever seen. Nigh incoherent.

by Anonymousreply 26305/22/2013

R245, The Sopranos absolutely captured the zeitgeist of booming late 90s/paranoid post-9/11 America.

by Anonymousreply 26405/22/2013

A beauty mark? Don's attitudes towards women are formed because of a LITERAL Madonna/Whore scenario?

I laugh when people continue to say how complicated this show is, coming up with deep backstory and possible future scenarios.

With Mad Men, a cigar is just a cigar. The symbols and allusions have always been obvious.

by Anonymousreply 26505/22/2013

R254 My favorite show of all time used to be Lost, but after they fucked up the last season and the ending I can't even watch reruns.>>

I agree. The Smoke Monster was never explained, among other things. What was that? I hope Weiner doesn't run out of plot points or flash us forward to the future w/ Don Draper in Hawaii, again, this time surviving a Mohawk plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 26605/23/2013

It's threads like these that make me realize the Datalounge is full of mediocrities with poor taste. You can't even object to Mad Men for interesting reasons. You compare your frustrations with Don's mistresses to the Smoke Monster on Lost. Maybe you should just shift gears and get ready for the third season of MTV's Teen Wolf, I am sure every plot development there is explained and satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 26705/23/2013

Wait was Aimee pregnant when she seduced Don? Was his brother really his...son?

by Anonymousreply 26805/23/2013

OK, let's start with the fact that Aimee was not Don's step-mother, like some confused souls here believe.

She was Don's step-mother's colleague or co-worker, to put it elegantly.

by Anonymousreply 26905/23/2013

Just saw this past week's episode and am actually going to agree with a few others - Mad Men has become stale and predictable and too involved with Don Draper and all around fatigued.

Its quickly becoming a chore to follow.

by Anonymousreply 27005/23/2013

Agree 100%, r267. Never understood why people would continue to watch a TV show that they clearly don't enjoy.

There are so many other options out there now.

by Anonymousreply 27105/23/2013

I thought it was brilliant. The episode simultaneously commented on the personal individual, the professional agency, the corporation and the society in a specific time of upheaval, tumult and change. It was excellent and some of the best acting Jon Hamm has had the opportunity to do since Season 4's The Suitcase.

I think some people have a hard time with this drama because they were initially drawn in by a sense of nostalgia (either real or imagined) when in fact Mad Men is very much in the moment, presently during a really confusing, shocking and disturbing passages in our nation's history. Also, some viewers are initially prone to see these men as heroes (as even Walter White has become on Breaking Bad) when, in fact, Mad Men has always been about anti-heroes; a lot of viewers aren't able to make that adjustment. These men are growing old, they're unsettled and struggling with their identities and their own mortality. Some viewers are repelled by dramas that disturb them.

Mad Men rewards the viewer who fully engaged with the programme, not so much for viewers with only a superficial interest looking for escapism.

by Anonymousreply 27205/23/2013

[quote]Mad Men rewards the viewer who fully engaged with the programme, not so much for viewers with only a superficial interest looking for escapism.

Oh Mary: get a whiff of you!

by Anonymousreply 27305/23/2013

[quote]Also, some viewers are initially prone to see these men as heroes (as even Walter White has become on Breaking Bad) when, in fact, Mad Men has always been about anti-heroes; a lot of viewers aren't able to make that adjustment.

Totally agree with this. The men are all shits and Peggy isn't much better. I always laugh when people say how much they enjoy the Roger character. He's a silver spoon jackass who you would DESPISE if you had to work for him.

by Anonymousreply 27405/23/2013

God knows what you're talking about, R273, but good for you, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 27505/23/2013

FAIL, r275.

by Anonymousreply 27605/23/2013

I loved the episode and am loving Meghan's many vintage looks. She cleans up well.

by Anonymousreply 27705/23/2013

What's the name for the personality disorder that has someone constantly complaining about the ways in which other people talk about their favorite TV show? Should we medicate these people or just have them locked away?

by Anonymousreply 27905/23/2013

I love seeing the heads of DL's three crazed Mad Men trolls spin and pop over the other, more sane fans expressing their frustrations with the program.

Sad people like R267 not only take critique and 'pointless bitching' about the show as personal attacks, they somehow feel they're 'sophisticated' and viewing the show on some secret level only the likes of R267 is supposed to get. Every cigar is a metaphor, every whisky glass a symbol of something to come.

Holy fuckin shit. You sad, shut-in, likely unemployed obsessed TV fans need to get out of your basements, trailers and apartments for some fresh air and sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 28005/23/2013

The girl who played hippie chick Wendy also played crossbow girl Haley on Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 28105/23/2013

Ok so is Aimee not his stepmother but who's stepmother is she?

by Anonymousreply 28205/23/2013

Luke Skywalker's, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 28305/23/2013

Lol at 283

R282.Aimee was just a whore that took care of Don when he was ill and took his virginity.

by Anonymousreply 28405/23/2013

[quote]Holy fuckin shit. You sad, shut-in, likely unemployed obsessed TV fans need to get out of your basements, trailers and apartments for some fresh air and sunshine.

And yet, here you also are, arguing on the Internet with them.

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 28505/23/2013

I don't watch this show. Have there been glimpses of Jon's penis this season or did they really make him wear underwear and stopped filming his dick?

by Anonymousreply 28605/23/2013

[quote]Is the Chevy account Mad Men’s Vietnam?

I think you may be right. But I think the drug scenes are a nod to "Apocalypse Now"

by Anonymousreply 28705/24/2013

Or all the drugs that were consumed in Vietnam, R287.

by Anonymousreply 28805/24/2013

Don't shoot me. I don't understand how young Dick ended up working in a whorehouse. I know that his mother was a whore, but didn't his father and stepmother take him in? Was it ever explained why they dumped him?

by Anonymousreply 28905/24/2013

This is sort of o/t but to me isn't Don really based on Hal Riney?

Also, imho, Don does not love Megan like he loved Betts.

by Anonymousreply 29005/24/2013

Finally watched it last night. Maybe the fact we keep waiting so long to see the episodes is an indication that our house is beginning to lose interest.

That was just a mess of an episode, as if someone entirely new were brought in to write and direct it. The black woman who robbed Don's apartment with the kids there? Just so random and weird and bold, especially for that time. I think that lady would have ran out of that building the minute she saw Sally come out of the bedroom.

Everyone taking some sort of weird drug injection. What the hell WAS THAT anyway?? Was it ever revealed what the shady fat doctor gave them? And the doctor looked very familiar to me.

Ken doing the tap dance was somewhat cute/sexy, but also surreal and strange. I love Ken though. He's the one character who has pretty much remained the same.

This has been a phenomenal show and I've respected and loved it, but no doubt its time to pass is upon us. I don't understand why American television must ruin such iconic television programs by beating them so far into the ground that nobody really cares anymore by the time they take their bow, much like the office and other programs.

Perhaps they should consider an extended season next year and close it out. And for fuck's sake, PLEASE knock it off with the absurd, ambiguous teasers for next week. I no longer even bother watching. They aren't edgy or titillating, they're just worthless. What's the point?

by Anonymousreply 29105/24/2013

Has anyone see that movie by Steven Speilberg called A.I.? In it there is a scene where robots of the future have recreated a house from the memories of a child robot who remembered humans. The house was accurate, but strange and unreal - the colors were desaturated, the lighting was strange and it didn't look like a real place. That is exactly how I feel about Mad Men in 1968 - it's some sort of false artificial creation that essentially feels embalmed, odd and off. It's grungier and dark, I think - dead. In 10 years people will watch it and say it looks like 2013 and not 1968.

by Anonymousreply 29205/24/2013

[quote]Everyone taking some sort of weird drug injection. What the hell WAS THAT anyway??

by Anonymousreply 29305/24/2013

Remember how Weiner ended the Sopranos and we'll never know what happened? Either he's a sadist or just hates the public. I think he feels he is some sort of superior being and despises his viewers. He wants to fuck us over. He has nothing but contempt for us brain-dead plebs.

by Anonymousreply 29405/24/2013

OK, for r289's benefit (as well as the other confused posters):

Dick Whitman's father fucked this whore and she gave birth to Dick. She died during childbirth. Dick's father must have had at least a pimp-whore relationship with her, otherwise why would he have been present during the birth and taken custody of Dick.

Let's call him Mr. Pimp.

Then Mr. Pimp took up with another whore and at some point impregnated her (with Dick's younger half-brother, the hick who recognized him from some paper photo, came back, was denied by Dick, and subsequently committed suicide, if you remember).

As it so happens, Mr. Pimp died while his whore (Dick's "stepmom") was still pregnant and Dick was a young teen. That's when said whore knocked at her sister's home, a madame/whore of sorts, where they were offered a place to stay, I imagine as long as they somehow "contributed" and kept the Madame's husband (pimp? bordello handyman?) happy. That's the scene Dick saw through the peep hole where the man of the house fucked his pregnant "stepmom").

This also explains why Dick's "stepmom" treated him like shit. He was a burden, another growing mouth to feed, and not even related by blood.

Aimee was one of the workers at the bordello.

Anyone please feel free to correct me or add if I missed something.

by Anonymousreply 29505/24/2013

R291 Those shots are not so difficult to understand for people who have read about the late 60's era. Dr. Max Jacobson aka "Dr Feelgood" was the Godfather of these "Vitamin B-12 shots" which were basically just amphetamines. People from Andy Warhol's factory would go into his office "for a poke" and later on, even people like John F. Kennedy also got them. I think it was great to do an episode like this, if only to represent all facets of the era. But then again, I also think they should have done an episode on Betty taking diet pills (which were also full of amphetamines back then) to lose her weight.

by Anonymousreply 29605/24/2013

I think Weiner is obsessed with drugs.

by Anonymousreply 29705/24/2013

[quote]I think Weiner is obsessed with drugs

by Anonymousreply 29805/24/2013

TY r295

by Anonymousreply 29905/24/2013

295, Dick's father didn't take Dick; nor was he present for the birth. The woman who delivered him showed up at the house of Dick's father and step-mother and left him there. Step-mom had had several miscarriages/still births.

Yes I know it's sad that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of this show.

by Anonymousreply 30005/24/2013

Thanks for setting me straight (as straight as anyone can), r300.

I knew I could have been forgetting something and didn't want to cloud things further.

by Anonymousreply 30105/24/2013

[quote]Remember how Weiner ended the Sopranos and we'll never know what happened?

Weiner didn't write the finale (though he did write the penultimate episode). David Chase is responsible for that.

by Anonymousreply 30205/24/2013

Ah, thank you for correcting me...

by Anonymousreply 30305/24/2013

Do amphetamines usually cause blackouts like Don had. The behavior of Stan, Roger, etc seemed more typical. Don seemed like he was on something like LSD.

by Anonymousreply 30405/24/2013

r304 they can cause time to pass very quickly. For instance, you could be sitting doing something then the next time you look at the clock it is 3-4 hours later. You can become very focused on one thing and lose track of time.

by Anonymousreply 30505/24/2013

I watch primarily to see Megan's fabulous clothes and wigs.

Of course Betty is Don't true love. She's an emotionally stunted half-person, just like he is.

by Anonymousreply 30605/24/2013

Betty is not Don's true love.

by Anonymousreply 30705/24/2013

Anna was Don's true love -- or as close to it as he'll ever get.

by Anonymousreply 30805/24/2013

Peggy is Don's true love. Go PeDo!

by Anonymousreply 30905/24/2013

[quote]Perhaps they should consider an extended season next year and close it out.

Well, you're in luck. Next season is scheduled to be its last.

by Anonymousreply 31005/24/2013

I wonder if Bobby, with all his TV-watching, caught any of Bert Cooper's brief 1968 series?

by Anonymousreply 31105/24/2013

I love the show and have liked every, single episode. It's entertaining, I like all the characters, clothes and sets and it allows me to relive my childhood (my parents went to Hawaii in 1967 and stayed at the the Royal Hawaiian, for example.)

There is so much crap on TV and the news is usually horror filled, I get to escape on Sunday nights and watch some great acting and interesting episodes.

by Anonymousreply 31205/25/2013

Was Roger in the scenes for the next episode? That doctor telling him not to worry about having a heart condition seemed a bit odd. I wonder if they'll find him long dead in his office like in that urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 31305/25/2013

Any more deaths in that office and the agency could double as a morgue.

by Anonymousreply 31405/25/2013

[quote]Just any other threads here get an equal number of pompous, pretentious posts?

I'm curious, too: do any other threads here get this many stupid, angry posts?

by Anonymousreply 31505/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 31605/25/2013

Is tomorrow's a new one or a repeat?

by Anonymousreply 31705/25/2013

Lane - suicide

Ida - death natural causes

Roger - heart attack

Roger - heart attack

Guy - limb loss

What else?

by Anonymousreply 31805/25/2013

Adam Whitman - suicide Eugene Hofstadt (Betty's father) - natural causes? Frank Gleason - cancer

by Anonymousreply 31905/25/2013

I think r318 is referring to office place casualties, r319 - in reaction to r314.

by Anonymousreply 32005/25/2013

Right, I was referring to calamities in the office.

by Anonymousreply 32105/25/2013

Can someone confirm that Mad Men did not air a new episode last night?

My DVR didn't record it and I'm sure they didn't run a fresh ep. due to the holiday, but would just like to verify that.

Thanks for the help!

by Anonymousreply 32205/27/2013

There was a new episode R322

by Anonymousreply 32305/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!