Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAMES OF THRONES, 5/19/13, "Second Sons"

Outside Yunkai, Khaleesi negotiates with a new character, Mero, aka "The Titan's Bastard," hoping to gain the aid of his band of sell-swords in taking the city of Yunkai.

At Dragonstone, Davos Seaworth demands proof of Melisandre's claims involving Gendry.

In the Riverlands, The Hound plans to ransom Arya to her brother Robb.

Close to the Wall, Sam and Gilly encounter deadly danger on their way to Castle Black.

And an important wedding looks to unite two of the most powerful houses of Westeros.

by Anonymousreply 16006/02/2013

Mero and Daario Naharis are both hunktacular.

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2013

Are they really going to kill Gendry off?

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

Gendry looks great with his shirt off (fabulous abs), and we almost got to see his dick.

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

"But your brother will become your father-in-law, that much is beyond dispute!"

Great dialogue for Diana Rigg!

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2013

When did HBO become so prudish? In the days of Oz, there was a weekly full frontal fest.

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2013

The scene with Tyrion and Sansa on their wedding night was really nice. Sophie Turner is such a great teenage actress--it's no small feat she could come up to the level of Peter Dinklage, who is one of the best working actors today.

They've changed a lot in the story of the 3rd book to simplify things, both with Daario Naharis and with Stannis's making the offering of royal blood to ask for the deaths of the other three remaining of the "Five Kings" (i.e. Joffrey, Robb Stark, and Balon Greyjoy).

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

They didn't show anything of Caitlyn and Robb and Edmure, Jaime and Brienne, or Jon Snow and Ygritte.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

My favorite episode so far this season. Glad there was no Jon and Igritte-- the biggest snoozefest of the show IMO.

The Gendry-Mellisandre scene did not disappoint. Gendry's leather pants were an interesting choice. And why the cutaway right before his dick? Stipulation in Joe Dempsie's contract or does HBO have a limit now on full frontal?

The ending scene with Samwell killing the white walker was absolutely fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

This was a really good episode--the best this season after the one where Dany conquered Astapor.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

I wish the credits made more sense. They did not show Dragonstone at all (though it was an important locale tonight), but they did show both Harrenhal and Winterfell (neither of which were in the show tonight).

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2013

Has no one on set listened to Peter Dinklage's terrible attempt at a Midlantic accent? It's really embarrassing and distracting. If they want everyone to have an English accent so the dialogue doesn't come off as so hackneyed and expository they should get him a coach. He's good, otherwise, but the accent is risible.

The Red Wedding really can't come fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

The scene between Cersei and Margaery was fantastic.

And where were the dragons??

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2013

And Theon also went missing. Hurrah!

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

Someone said the little girl is with 'worse' people. What do they mean?

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

Which little girl?

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

Gendry has an amazing body. That was probably the best sex scene in the series. Not that I watch the show for that. Usually the nudity is annoying in it's blatant gratuitousness.

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

Very good episode.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

There was a moment when drunken Tyrion sounded like he was doing a Bette Davis impression. I almost expected him to tell the wedding guests to put on their seatbelts.

Meanwhile, how stupid is Samwell Tarley? He left the one thing that could kill one of those snow zombies on the ground instead of taking it with him.

by Anonymousreply 2005/20/2013

I kept waiting for Joffrey to barge in and have Sansa held down while he raped her. Then I kept wondering why Sansa didn't tell Tyrion what Joffrey said, ask him to sober up, and possibly ask for his protection against Joffrey.

What the hell was that scene with Joffrey and Sansa about at the wedding if there was no follow through, especially after Tyrion made such a fool of Joffrey at the wedding!?!

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

Totally agree, R10, re: Jon Snow and Ygritte. I wouldn't care a bit if they never showed those two again. Kit Harington is a terrible actor and I wanted to slap Ygritte when she went on about "lef fud, rat fud, lef fud". That whole dreary storyline isn't compelling enough to overcome the bad acting of its central characters.

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

The scene where Joffrey threatens Sansa was chilling. It needed no follow thru. I kept waiting for him to barge in, but then I realized. That was the point of the threat.

The possibility of Joffrey raping Sansa is something she will worry and think about all the time, never able to relax. Joffrey is hideous.

He was psychologically "preparing" her, dreading the possibility that whenever her husband is indisposed, Joffrey can do what he wants. Jofffrey wants to continue to torment her and since he hates Tyrion so much, he would probably enjoy humiliating him by raping his wife.

I loved this episode.Samwell heroically kills a whitewalker! I didn't get why the crows were massing though. They disappeared when the Whitewalker came, but why mass in the first place? I haven't read the book and wonder if there was something symbolic or meaningful about the crows?

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

Dinklage's accent seems worse than last season. It really detracts from his performance, which on the whole is pretty good.

Cersei was a queen regent on the edge in this episode. I was shocked by what she said to Margery. Seems like she was tipping her hand just how much she hates and fears the Tyrells. You'd think she'd be more strategic. "Nobody cares what your father once said to you." She is not liking the idea of marrying power bottom Loras.

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2505/20/2013

Arya r17

by Anonymousreply 2605/20/2013

Will the Red Wedding be this season or next?

How about Joffrey's wedding? This season, or next?

Is it just me or does anyone else wish Margaery would meet a quick end? She's so incredibly smug and satisfied with herself when she should be scared as shit to be marrying that psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 2705/20/2013

Dany has become unlikable. Something suddenly selfish and arrogant about her.

Is this an evolution of the character or just the way she's being played?

Until now, I've always looked at her as sort of a hero. But now she's so full of pride and seems a little drunk with power.

(and WHEN will we get to see her hot daddy knight with his clothes off? Ever?0

by Anonymousreply 2805/20/2013

That new guy that came to Dany last night with the heads was so hot. I was hoping he would strip down when she got out of the tub. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Does anyone know his name?

by Anonymousreply 2905/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 3005/20/2013

Here is Ed Skrein's Twitter

by Anonymousreply 3105/20/2013

Wow Ed Skrein has a great body

I hope he get some hot shirtless and sex scenes soon

OMG he is built

by Anonymousreply 3205/20/2013

I liked the other, older Second Son better the one who kept talking about his cock? He was way hotter and I was hoping we would see more of him. Ed Skrein is weird looking.

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2013

r33 I agree Ed def has a different look to him. The one that kept talking about his cock was also very hot. Would have loved to see Ed and him in a hot bathing scene together after battle, all hot and sweaty. That being said Ed is very sexy, I love the hair on his chest, not too much, just enough, very hot.

Who else's dream job is to be the casting director for GOT? Can you imagine all the hot manly men you would get to audition? If I were the casting director I would def take advantage of the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

Joffrey's wedding won't be until next season, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013

[quote]If I were the casting director I would def take advantage of the casting couch.

You'd unethically want to take advantage of actors' desperate career aspirations in order to force them to have unwanted sex with you?

by Anonymousreply 3605/20/2013

r36 Clutch your pearls much? It was just a little fantasy. Stop taking yourself so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 3705/20/2013

R27: I'm sure the red wedding will be this season because they keep talking about it now and certain scenes draw your attention to the inevitable, so I doubt we'd have to wait a year.

by Anonymousreply 3805/20/2013

I agree with the other posters. The cocky guy who kept slapping the whore's ass was smoking hot. Wish he'd stuck around.

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2013

OP - can't you put all that stuff inside the thread? I don't watch the show, but I'm reading the 2nd book atm, and I always have to look away really quick to prevent getting spoiled when I scroll past these posts.

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2013

Yeah, Mero the head guy was sexy as hell and really charismatic in spite of his skeevyness, I wasn't that impressed by Daario/Ed Skrein but I will allow him to grow on me.

Good episode. I liked that there were less characters so the scenes really had a chance to play out. The Wedding was great and all the actors really brought their A-game.

And thanks for that link R25, Joe Dempsie/Gendry is ridiculously hot. Had such a crush on him on Skins back in the day and he has just gotten more sexy since then.

Gendry and Robb Stark are definitely the two hottest characters for me.

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

Would somebody PLEASE euthanize R40 if the Webmaster isn't going to ban her and her constant "NO SPOILERS" bullshit?!?

Cunt, WHY the fuck are you here if you're "reading the books" and "have to look away really quick"?

Christ some of you cunts are fucking batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2013

I'm not R40, but I'll defend him for a quick moment. When you put plot points in the original post, the post that DL readers will "see" as they scroll down the front page of Datalounge, it does sorta suck. You can't help but read it, even if you never enter the actual thread.

I think he's simply asking to start each week's thread with the plot oriented questions/comments inside the thread so that one can peruse other threads on DL without having to see spoilers for GoT. I think it's a fair, painless, and easy request.

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2013

Well I see all their days numbered. Think about it. If Tyrion makes Sansa pregnant, all Tywin really needs is their kid, not either one of them, expecially Tyrion.

Tywin wants Cersei to have a kid so they can legitimately annex the Tyrell lands and fortune, so Loras' days would be numbered once Cersei has the kid.

Then Margeary and Joffrey. Ditto. Once they have a kid, kiss Margeary goodbye. If course having a second child would be like an insurance policy for Tywon.He'd keep Cersei alive as long as she could breed and he'd just keep marrying her off. Probably do the same with Sansa.

BTW: Did anyone else notice that Sansa was chatting with Varys last night at her wedding reception? The cameras panned and caught them. Very subtle. I assume Varys was telling her that she really was fortunate to have Tyrion?

So does this mean Gendrie is going to be kept alive and just leached whenever they want to curse someone?

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2013

R43, why do you have to sound so rational and sensible? Dare I say, even courteous? This is DL home of trolls & hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2013

r42 = Viserys

by Anonymousreply 4605/20/2013

Haven't we always done tv show threads pretty much exactly as the OP set this one up?

R40, the DL may not be the place for you. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 4705/20/2013

I have the best job in the universe!

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2013

[quote]Dany has become unlikable. Something suddenly selfish and arrogant about her.

I can see what you mean, after all she's only risking everything to save a couple hundred thousand slaves.

She'd be a lot more likable if she'd get out there and wash your socks.

by Anonymousreply 4905/20/2013

R22, I agree about Kit Harington. I actually groaned when I saw him and Ygritte in the previews for the next episode. Emilia Clarke can't act either. I have never heard of Ed Skrein before this show, I hope he has some good acting chops to make Dany scenes tolerable. R24. Both Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster Waldau have awful accents for the show, it's funny because they both are good actors but those accents...ew. This episode was not one of my favorites but I thought the Sansa and Tyrion wedding was handled well, could care less about Dany and her attempts to conquer. Nice touch to see Davos learning to read. Joe Dempsie does have a nice body but he sure does have a butter face. I am pretty sure after that Gendry is going to be scarred for life from sex. Joffrey is a sociopathic douche and for once we actually see Margarey looking frustrated with Kings Landing. She will never win Cersei over. Lena Headly is good for snappy one liners.

by Anonymousreply 5005/20/2013

I disagree about Ed Skrein's looks, r33. He's gorgeous. He looks like the love child of Nicholas Hoult and Cary Elwes. The Rapunzel hair is distracting though. He has a wicked smile. Dany needs some hot man love and he looks like he can deliver. Yowza.

by Anonymousreply 5105/20/2013

r40, you're ridiculous. The third book has been out for ten years--you can't ask people to not discuss plot points that are also actually posted on TV Guide and in the newspaper for upcoming shows just because you might happen to glance at them. It would be like telling people no one can ever discuss the ending "Anna Karenina" in your presence because you haven't read it and might want to someday.

Asking people not to discuss what might happen on the TV show that's already happened in the books is one thing, but asking people not to mention the most general of plot points about what is already written in the newspaper's TV listings about the upcoming episode is absolutely ridiculous. You are a total control freak.

by Anonymousreply 5205/20/2013

[bold]Peter Dinklage deserves another Emmy for last night's Game of Thrones[/bold]

Holy crap, the writing and acting on Game of Thrones keep getting better. Last night's episode was both epic and understated, with small moments that carried huge weight. This was another episode all about rape (arguably, a key theme of the show) and yet it was smart and entertaining. Thanks, in no small part, to Peter Dinklage.

Spoilers ahead...

The major arc of the episode was two men deciding not to go along with rape culture. Tyrion Lannister disobeys his father and refuses to deflower his 14-year-old bride, Sansa Stark, until she actually consents to sex. Meanwhile, a merc with a mouth named Daario Naharis has a disagreement with his two colleagues, who really want to rape Daenerys and her female ex-slaves. Daario has his own idea of what is best in life: screwing women who want to screw you, and killing men who want to kill you. (Not so much with the lamentation.)

This show is full of gray areas of sexual nonconsent — Tyrion himself has sex with lots of sex workers, and we've seen Littlefinger tell his "employees" that if they don't perform with alacrity, they will be sold to one of his more sadistic clients. Daenerys herself had a wedding night that seemed at best ambiguously consensual, and in this episode she tells Missandei that she had to learn Dothraki quickly so she wouldn't just be "grunting" at her husband (while he kept taking her like a dog.)

In fact, in last week's episode, when Margaery tells Sansa that women in their position have to "make the best of it," she's basically saying "lie back and think of England." Because that shit is what this society is built on. If you're in the nobility, men like Tywin Lannister decide whom you make babies with.

And meanwhile, poor Gendry gets seduced — by wealth as well as by sexiness — so he can be tied up and have a leech put on his cock. (And he'll be lucky if that's the least that happens to him.)

(much more at the link... great write-up)

by Anonymousreply 5305/20/2013

[quote]Then I kept wondering why Sansa didn't tell Tyrion what Joffrey said, ask him to sober up, and possibly ask for his protection against Joffrey.

She already has Tywin's protection against Jeffrey.

by Anonymousreply 5405/20/2013

Thanks, sort of, for the warning R53. I had to skip the entire remainder of your post because of it and will probably avoid the thread too since others responding to you might not be so careful.

Perhaps you had something insightful I might have enjoyed, but I (and a good percentage of the people here) will never know.

These are among the reasons that we say "no spoilers." We don't say "spoilers after warning." And this is also why we have a separate thread for those who do not wish to worry about people who want to watch the TV series with the same sense of suspense and surprise that you had when you read the books. We are a sensitive lot.

by Anonymousreply 5505/20/2013

R55, the "spoilers" were for the episode that just aired. Only. It was only for those who haven't seen the episode. If you haven't seen the episode, why would you be reading this thread at all?

So climb down off your cross and take off your hair-shirt. And also notice there's a fucking LINK in the post to the original source.

by Anonymousreply 5605/20/2013

[quote] And also notice there's a fucking LINK in the post to the original source.

How could I? I stopped reading your post at "Spoilers ahead."

I don't feel like an idiot. I feel like someone who was understandably mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 5705/20/2013

I would have loved to get tag teamed by Daario and the Titan's Bastard. Both those guys were smokin' hot last night.

I remember reading the inner dialogue of Dany in the books and Martin always wrote filthy "hot and bothered" moments for her. You can tell she's his ideal fantasy woman since he's always talking about her being wet and quivering.

by Anonymousreply 5805/20/2013

[quote]Dany has become unlikable. Something suddenly selfish and arrogant about her.

It's called acting regal and like a queen. She must act like royalty or else no one will treat her like royalty.

Plus, she is a Targaryen and they were never known for their humbleness...

by Anonymousreply 5905/20/2013

Dany and Daario had insta-chemistry.

You can tell Emilia Clarke missed working with actors closer to her own age. She has the best chemistry with younger men like Viserys and Khal Drogo from Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 6005/20/2013

Cersei, like her father said, is not very bright. To openly threaten the woman who will soon be queen, and is a member of the family keeping her own head above water, is dumb in the extreme.

As for the Tyrells, they know what they are getting into. They have to have an end game beyond making princes for Tywin to exploit. Lady Olenna is no dummy.

by Anonymousreply 6105/20/2013

Will some of you shut the fuck up about accents! Geez if it bothers you that much stop watching! Westros isn't a real place.

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2013

So far I am liking the little Queensguard Dany has gathering around her. Jorah, Barristan, Grey Worm and now Daario. She definitely has quite the motley crew.

by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2013

Daario looks freaky. How can you guys think he is hot? His head looks completely fucked up like he has a birth defect. The other guy was definitely hotter.

by Anonymousreply 6405/20/2013

I really like how Sansa was depicted in this episode. In the book, she comes off as cold and rude regarding Tyrion. In the show, she comes off as just being scared and naive, but with a certain warmth that her book version doesn't have. It's a pleasant variation. I'm also enjoying the way they've combined Gendry's character with that of his half-brother from the book. I think it really works.

I was also a bit confused by the swarming crows around Sam, and I have read the books. It's not clear to me if they were warning him about the white walker, or if they brought the white walker to him. I wonder if it's hinting at something even the book readers don't quite know about yet, at least not in whole.

by Anonymousreply 6505/21/2013

Jon is supposed to be much more likable than this. He is usually right up there with Tyrion and Dany in the "favorite characters" lists about the series.

Why and how is he being translated so badly to the screen? It's not just Kit Harrington. I honestly don't think Jon's story CAN translate to the screen because so much of what's great about him is internal dialogue. He is a quiet, sullen teenager. We are privy to his thoughts in the books and they are very insightful and makes the fans swoon for him, but quiet and sullen doesn't work on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 6605/21/2013

@66, I agree.

As a matter of fact, Jon nor Rob are all that likeable.

by Anonymousreply 6705/21/2013

I agree the bitching about accents is ridiculous given the the story doesn't take place in the UK but on the fictional continent of Westeros on another planet.

by Anonymousreply 6805/21/2013

Yes but Dinklage is clearly trying for a British accent, and failing.

by Anonymousreply 6905/21/2013

[quote]Meanwhile, how stupid is Samwell Tarley? He left the one thing that could kill one of those snow zombies on the ground instead of taking it with him.

I don't think fire is of any use against the White Walkers. It's the wights (the reanimated dead bodies) that have to be burned.

Sam found the way to kill the Walkers after all.

by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2013

I think the problem with Jon is that since he hasn't been able to be honest with anyone he is interacting with, and you can't tell what he's thinking, Kit doesn't have much to play but snowy brooding. He was fine and Jon was likeable in the first season, when he was at Castle Black. But I think in the last two episodes after Ygritte told him she knew he was faking his defection, he opened up some.

by Anonymousreply 7105/21/2013

I like Jon Snow and I like Kit Harrington. Jon's scenes lately have been rather predictable and not very challenging. Also rather short. We seemed to spend more time with him when he was billeted at The Wall. Both Jon Snow and Robb Stark have been drawn too one- dimensional and really can get tiresome but I don't blame the actors, I blame the directors. It's not the actors who are tedious, it's the way the characters are presented.

by Anonymousreply 7205/21/2013

So was that "the red wedding"? Or is that still to come?

by Anonymousreply 7305/21/2013

The Brits here are once again making a television show thread insufferable with their run-on "bad accents" bullshit.

See, they can't snark about the British version being "SOOO much better", so they're relegated to trolling the thread to bitch about accents.

And you cunts wonder why everyone on the planet hates you.

by Anonymousreply 7405/21/2013

You could just ignore them r74. Acknowledging them just gets them off. Freaks.

by Anonymousreply 7505/21/2013

First of all, I'm the guy who made the crack about Tyrion's Bette Davis's impersonation and I'm not British. But I did watch a Bette Davis movie on one of the local PBS channels the night before. (The evil twin one--sillier than I remember but still fun).

Secondly, you are right. It's not England. I mean is it even Earth? So why not just speak in an American accent and be done with it? Hell, why not have him be played by a ventriloquest dummy and Kenneth Branagh or some other Brit can do the voice? So many choices. But they chose Dinklage, and I enjoy watching him, but the accent does distract me. And I know this is going to sound CRAZY, but I have the right to comment on that.

Maybe GOT is a sacred text to you and criticizing it is BLASPHEMY. But it's just Sunday night entertainment to me.

by Anonymousreply 7605/21/2013

Oh, sorry. "Ventriloquist."

by Anonymousreply 7705/21/2013

R73 It's still coming.

by Anonymousreply 7805/21/2013

Well, they hired a bunch of british actors, so that might have something to do with the accents.

by Anonymousreply 7905/21/2013

R76, Why would the accents bother you so much? American television is, unfortunately, infested by the irritating, sloppy sounds of British accents. This show is so different.

If anything, be irritated by the fact Hollywood is over-employing British actors because they work so cheaply and, of course, they all want to escape their miserable, rainy little island.

by Anonymousreply 8005/21/2013

Ed Skrein is an unfortunate name. It instantly reminds me of Ed Gein, he of the human skin furniture and lamp shades.

That said, chalk me up as one who thinks Ed Skrein is hot hot hot.

by Anonymousreply 8105/21/2013

I'm fascinated to find out what happens to Arya at the end of this season. They seem to be building up to something dramatic. She's a smart girl to have stayed alive as long as she has.

by Anonymousreply 8205/21/2013

Ed Skrein has beautiful eyes, skin, and body. Very worthy of lust. Oozes sex appeal. Gendry looks slow. Really unfortunate face.

by Anonymousreply 8305/21/2013

What fascinates me about the HBO series, and maybe the books are the same, is the way the characters grow, and how their basic qualities lead them in various directions.

Arya, for instance was always tougher as a child than her brothers Bran & Rickon, and certainly tougher than Sansa. This was true from the very first scenes in Season 1 when we were introduced to her.

So, she's grown and developed in a particular direction becoming tougher and harder. What's amazing to me is that the actress who plays her has given her some nuance that allows us to glimpse her vulnerability.

Arya is a survivor. It will be interesting. Often GRRM takes the very qualities that define a character, as he did with Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon, and uses those qualities to undermine or undo them. It's all very Shakespearean in a way.

by Anonymousreply 8405/21/2013

I hate having to wait for two weeks before the next episode. That said, "Second Sons" was near perfect. Jon should be better when he has someone reliable to talk to (read: Sam, eventually?); right now he is in a very uncertain situation, surrounded by real or potential enemies, and that will continue into next year, it's safe to say.

Arya has grown on me; she's so resourceful. But I want to see Sansa taking control at long last.

I kind of wish that the series didn't follow the book in dawdling so long in Slavers' Bay. But Dany is definitely growing up apace.

And so on to the Red Wedding. What a ride!

by Anonymousreply 8505/21/2013

Arya's arc is disturbing and fascinating. I'm pretty much clueless about where she's headed in the books. I have theories about everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 8605/21/2013

R86, do you want a vague hint about Arya?

by Anonymousreply 8705/21/2013

r87 please provide a bit of additional info on Arya

by Anonymousreply 8805/21/2013

Thanks R78.

by Anonymousreply 8905/21/2013

r89 I read somewhere that Episode 9 (the one airing in a couple of weeks) will possibly be the Red Wedding Episode.

Historically the show has featured something "big" on the second to last episode of each season. S1E9 - Ed Stark Beheading, S2E9 - Battle of the Blackwater, S3E9 - Red Wedding???

by Anonymousreply 9005/21/2013

Hey there, just to be clear I've read all of the books--I am saying that I don't know where she's going next/what her ultimate role will be in the story after DoD.

by Anonymousreply 9105/21/2013

the guy with the jacked teeth was hot, but damn if the bigger guy with the scar wasn't hotter!

by Anonymousreply 9205/21/2013

I have a question: Who is the target demographic for GoT? Do you think it's men or women? because as I watch I can see the appeal for women, and for adolescents even though it is too sexually explicit for adolescents, but I can't see guys over 25 liking it.

by Anonymousreply 9305/21/2013

[quote]but I can't see guys over 25 liking it.

Are you kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 9405/21/2013

R93 Why do you think it? I know a lot of guys over 25 liking it. Women as well. I think this is kind of fantasy book, that a lot of people would find appealing.

by Anonymousreply 9505/21/2013

I just think there's something unique about it. I think a lot of people the producers never expected to like it, are addicted to it. I personally never was into fantasy novels or stories, even movies. I can't get enough of this one.

I guess what I meant was it seems like the popularity of it was quite unexpected. It's huge. Bigger than Downton Abbey was in it's heyday. I think when they decided to greenlight it they had a particular demographic in mind, but it has exceeded all expectations.

by Anonymousreply 9605/21/2013

I think the appeal of GOT is similar to that of Lord of the Rings in that the high quality of the production attracts viewers beyond the typical sci-fi/fantasy demographic. They've also managed to appeal to straight girls and gay guys with the hot male actor quotient, which is off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 9705/21/2013

God damn, R93, you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 9805/21/2013

Your contribution to this discussion is duly noted, R98.

by Anonymousreply 9905/21/2013

My favorite hunks are Gendry,Daario and Ramsey. Robb and Jon are so bland I can't even tell the actors apart.

by Anonymousreply 10005/21/2013

[quote]I have a question: Who is the target demographic for GoT?

Elderly Hispanic women, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 10105/21/2013

Arya has the most interesting story in the entire book series. But it's also disturbing when you remember that she's still just a kid.

by Anonymousreply 10205/21/2013

Mero was fucking hot as fuck. Daario's too much of a pretty boy. But at least the producers had enough sense not to give him a blue beard and hair.

by Anonymousreply 10305/21/2013

Actually, I think Sansa has the most interesting story. So much happens to her, yet she's probably the most passive character in the entire series--all she wants to do is get away, and she never can.

by Anonymousreply 10405/21/2013

I thought Arya was the most interesting in the books, but in translating it onto screen Sansa's story has become my favorite. I think Maisie Williams is great as Arya, but Sophie Turner is making me understand Sansa like GRRM never did.

by Anonymousreply 10505/21/2013

R93, are you kidding? The biggest fans of GoT/ASOIAF are over 25 male nerd neckbeards. GRRM is their fucking hero.

by Anonymousreply 10605/21/2013

I can't wait to see what happens to Sansa. After all, she is learning how to play the game of thrones from some masters (one of whom is Cersei). But how badly will it corrupt her though?

by Anonymousreply 10705/21/2013

I can't wait to see what happens to Sansa. After all, she is learning how to play the game of thrones from some masters (one of whom is Cersei). But how badly will it corrupt her though?

by Anonymousreply 10805/21/2013

I feel sorry doe Sansa. All she wants is to go home. She wants a happily ever after. Thru everything she's experienced, all the horror she still wants to just go home, make a good marriage and be happy. Arya is different. She now has a mission. She wants vengeance. She doesn't aspire to power or influence. She just wants revenge.

by Anonymousreply 10905/21/2013

both Sansa's and Arya's storylines are amazing. Keep watching. A whole ton of shit happens to Sansa. And Arya DOES a whole ton of shit. And thank God both young actresses are fucking brilliant enough to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 11005/22/2013

I love all the Tyrells.

They should have shown Gendry's dick. Not fair considering the usual titfest.

I gay gasped when the white walker zombie thing showed up at the end.

by Anonymousreply 11105/22/2013

They did show the top of his shaft and it looked MEATY.

by Anonymousreply 11205/22/2013

How come the white walkers only show up at the beginning or the end of an episode?

by Anonymousreply 11305/22/2013

Because, R113, it's just one guy and they have to use CGI, and it's exhausting, and he charges triple overtime when they fuck up. Plus he lives in a cave in Iceland, and it costs a lot because they have to go on location to shoot him since he won't come to Ireland because he's an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 11405/22/2013

Completely agree with R76. Who cares whether this is a "real world" or not. Dinklage's attempt and failure at an English accent is DISTRACTING!

by Anonymousreply 11505/22/2013

I thought we had established that it was an Atlantic accent like Katherine Hepburn, not a British accent. Since the accent is a contrivance, how can it be wrong?

by Anonymousreply 11605/22/2013

Well, since everyone else in the show, not to mention his own family, speaks with British accents, and his is a painfully obvious failed ATTEMPT at one, that's how, R116.

by Anonymousreply 11705/22/2013

Hopefully the Bran/Jojen story linking up with Jon Snow's story will make the latter interesting again. Kit Harrington's performance seems to improve when he has something more to do than just trudge through the snow. Some actors can convey a lot of meaning just with their faces and not a lot of dialog but Harrington is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 11805/22/2013

Who are these idiots who are claiming "it's not real, so there are no bad accents"!?!?

Obviously people of kings landing, winterfelll, etc speak with some sort of British accent. Across the sea it's mostly vaguely middle eastern.

And if Tyrion was brought up by Tywin in the same house as Cersei, it stands to reason they would have the same accents.

Peter Dinklage's terrible accent sometimes totally distracts from his otherwise great performance.

by Anonymousreply 11905/22/2013

[quote][R87] please provide a bit of additional info on Arya.

Valar Morghulis. Jaqen H'ghar. The coin.

The Faceless Men of Braavos are assassins who worship the Many Faced God of Death.

What does Arya want/need?

by Anonymousreply 12005/22/2013

Titan's Bastard (aka Mero) was played by Mark Killeen. Lawdy that's a good looking hunk of man!

by Anonymousreply 12105/22/2013

Yeah, he was hot af. And the dirty talk was so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 12205/22/2013

[quote]since everyone else in the show, not to mention his own family, speaks with British accents,

Some of them speak with British accents (and btw, there are MANY different kinds of British accents--Surrey, Cockney, Mancusian, Geordie, etc., and you can hear many of them on the show). But some of them speak with Irish accents (and Ireland is not part of Britain). Some of them speak with German accents (like Ja'qar). And some of them speak with other European accents.

There is no standardized Westeros or Essos accent. They are all over the map. No one has said, "Westeros citizens speak with X specific accent."

[quote]Obviously people of kings landing, winterfelll, etc speak with some sort of British accent.

Uh, no. See the answer above.

[quote] Across the sea it's mostly vaguely middle eastern.

Yet again: no. The sorcerer from the House of the Undying in Qarth was Scots; the Dothraki speak with a Dothraki accent invented for the show. people from Pentos and Braavos have spoken with other kinds of accents not in the least Middle eastern in the slightest.

You're the one who is the idiot.

by Anonymousreply 12305/22/2013

R123, has it occurred to you that you may be over-invested in this tv show?

by Anonymousreply 12405/22/2013

R124, I don't think it's about being over-invested in the show, as just being annoyed by the ignorant stupidity of another poster.

I know how he feels.

by Anonymousreply 12505/22/2013

Look. I find Peter Dinklage's accent distracting. He does attempt a British accent. He does it better in some episodes than in others. Very inconsistent. If some of you want to justify his accent saying that 's how it's "supposed to" sound fine. That's your interpretation.

Mine is that whatever the intent, it sucks. It is awful. It's not working for me. You can label it anything you want, but it distracts. I'd rather he just use his normal voice instead of this grade school fake version of "British."

by Anonymousreply 12605/22/2013

[quote]Some of them speak with British accents (and btw, there are MANY different kinds of British accents--Surrey, Cockney, Mancusian, Geordie, etc., and you can hear many of them on the show). But some of them speak with Irish accents (and Ireland is not part of Britain). Some of them speak with German accents (like Ja'qar). And some of them speak with other European accents.

All the characters who come from Westeros have British accents. Characters like Jaqen and Melisandre are originally from Essos, where they haven't been consistent about the accents.

The only characters native to Westeros who don't speak with actual British accents are played by non-Brit actors who can't do them properly -- Dinklage, Coster-Waldau, and Aiden Gillen, who should really be able to hide his Irish accent better.

by Anonymousreply 12705/23/2013

There has been much dialogue and criticism over GRRM's use of "Orientalism" in writing the Essos scenes. So that much cannot be denied.

by Anonymousreply 12805/23/2013

I can't believe all this discussion over Peter Dinklage's performance British accent. It sounds fine to me but what if it don't. WHATEVAH! Whether one likes it or not, in spite of this being an ensemble cast, Peter is arguably the most popular character in both the book and TV versions and the face of GoT and a lot of that has to do with Peter's consistently superb performance, accent or no accent, so get over it already.

Marys, this is a show with dragons and shadow assassins coming out of a woman's pussy and you're going on about one person's performance accent. Really! You queens are so tired.

by Anonymousreply 12905/23/2013

[quote]Marys, this is a show with dragons and shadow assassins coming out of a woman's pussy

by Anonymousreply 13005/23/2013

ITA with R76 about PD's accent. It is terrible enough that you notice it when you should't, so it does distract from an otherwise flawless performance. Someone just needs to help him fix it.

LOL @ R76's drunk Betty Davis/"All About Eve" comparison too. Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 13105/23/2013

peter dinklage's horrid is the least of the problems on this show. i can't be the only one to notice that nobody has gotten the high valyrian accent right? why didn't they hire a dialect coach like they did for the actors speaking dothraki? it is so distracting that i mute my television whenever there is high valyrian dialog. uggh.

by Anonymousreply 13205/23/2013

I think the actor who plays Grey Worm (Jacob Anderson) is extremely good looking. He kinda looks like a young (and thin) Wentworth Miller. I'm glad he's getting more screen time now that he's a part of Dany's inner circle.

by Anonymousreply 13305/23/2013

Aiden Gillen's accent is strange - it actually sounds American-trying-to-sound-British to me at times, which is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 13405/23/2013

[quote] I don't think it's about being over-invested in the show, as just being annoyed by the ignorant stupidity of another poster.

Then what excuses this stupid statement?

[quote] Ireland is not part of Britain

What part of Ireland are you talking about? Because Northern Ireland is, and for that matter, the entire island was so long a part of the British empire that it's accent is considered one of many British variants. "Britain" is a name given to a political entity known as the United Kingdom, not something dependent upon geographical or even cultural boundaries (India was considered part of Britain, and has it's own regional British accent).

This sort of remedial error is typical of scifi fanbois who know more about concocted silliness like 'Westeros' and 'Essos' than they do about the world they actually live in.

by Anonymousreply 13605/23/2013

Oh for fuck's sake. Northern Ireland is NOT part of Britain, which is a large island to its east. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Britain, as the name of the United Kingdom implies, is entirely separate from Northern Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 13705/23/2013

R132 made me giggle

by Anonymousreply 13805/23/2013

[quote]Really? That's all you can focus on here are the accents? Who cares.

Stated with a Charles Nelson Reilly accent.

by Anonymousreply 13905/23/2013

r132, how the fuck do you know how high Valyrian’s suppose to sound like? SERIOUSLY! They say you learn something new every day so tell me language queens, in what country in the real world do they speak high Valyrian. I can’t believe you all are going on so much about accents in a fictional setting that hasn’t even been established if it’s on the planet Earth or not. Give it a rest already.

by Anonymousreply 14005/23/2013

Bless your heart, R140. Are you German or a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 14105/23/2013

Poor infuriated bewildered r140.

It's like watching one of the hominids throwing bones at the monolith at the beginning of "2001."

by Anonymousreply 14205/23/2013

The kill every GOTH thread with discussing accents. Just watch the show or not!

by Anonymousreply 14305/23/2013

Exactly r143! OMG!

by Anonymousreply 14405/23/2013

Okay, so R140 is missing the ability to identify snark, but seriously, will you assholes who keep droning on about the accents please give it a fucking rest. You are now officially tedious as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 14505/23/2013

I guessed you don't get the snark at r132 any better than r140 did. r132's snark was specifically intended to mock people who were obsessing about the accent being correct or not.

by Anonymousreply 14605/23/2013

The question is will you queens keep sniping at each other over Peter Dinklage's accent for another week-and-a-half until we get the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 14705/24/2013

I'm looking forward to the Liberace special but I am also deeply disappointed that there is no GoT this Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 14805/24/2013

Don't worry r148. The next GoT episode on June 2nd will more than make up for the two week wait. Trust!

by Anonymousreply 14905/24/2013

r149, i am fearful that e9 will be a huge letdown because everybody has been saying it has their fav moment from the books. the same thing happened with the episode where dany freed the unsullied. it was good, but i was expecting amazing based on all the assurances and predictions.

by Anonymousreply 15005/25/2013

r150, considering that the producers have said time and again that this particular scene is the entire reason why they wanted to portray A Song of Ice and Fire on television, I'd damned well hope they'd do it justice. If not, they are going to get HUGE backlash. I think they're savvy enough to know that.

Actually, this season, they have been pretty spot on with the quieter, more dramatic moments. The Jaime/Brienne bathtub scene comes to mind. So does the dressing down Tywin gave Tyrion earlier this season when he told him he'd never get Casterly Rock.

by Anonymousreply 15105/25/2013

What r151 said. I can't see Benioff and Weiss blowing that particular scene. Plus, as for the Unsullied scene, which was my favorite scene of all the books up to this point, I actually thought it played the same way as it did in the book; quick and to the point.

by Anonymousreply 15205/25/2013

I really hope they will not disappoint with the ep9. It seems everybody is waiting for it, book readers and those who only watch the show, and the expectations are set high.

by Anonymousreply 15305/25/2013

At first I was annoyed but then I realized a Universal Truth. I

The only acceptable reason for substituting any show for "Game of Thrones" is the Damon butt.

That is some sweet, sweet stuff.

by Anonymousreply 15405/25/2013

I don't know, his butt is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 15505/25/2013

Where is Ghost why isn't he with Jon

by Anonymousreply 15605/30/2013

When is Ashley Abbott going to give that little bitch Tyrell her true comeuppance? And does Ashley Abbott do her own son in?

by Anonymousreply 15705/30/2013

Dire wolves probably aren't that good at climbing walls. I'm sure he'll figure out his own way back to Castle Black.

by Anonymousreply 15805/30/2013

Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar) will be in a new series starting on NBC this month: "Crossing Lines".

by Anonymousreply 15906/01/2013

I loved Jaqen H'ghar on the show.

by Anonymousreply 16006/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!