Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seriously Florida?! 18 yo florida girl arrested after her 15 yo girlfriend's parents found out they were dating

This is messed up:

In a modern day Romeo and Juliet family feud, a family has been torn apart by the homophobia of their daughter’s girlfriends parents who pressed “lewd and lascivious battery” felony charges on her after finding out about their gay relationship. Earlier this school year, Florida’s Sebastian River High School senior Kaitlyn Hunt, who at the time was 17, began a relationship with her classmate, a 15-year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

They were 17 and 15 not 18 and 15, get your facts straight

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2013

"18 and 15 do not belong together. I don't care what type of relationship. This is when parents have a right to step in. I can't get on the pity train with this one."

Why would anyone get worked up at 3 years age difference? Get a life, you prudish old biddy.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

This is so stupid, how is it that when she turns 18 she automatically becomes a pedophile? These laws need to be changed. Both were dating consensually and abiding by the law

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

These charges are excessive, to say the least, for two teens, that are 3 years apart, having a consensual relationship.

[quote]Kaitlyn Hunt, 18, faces two felony counts of "lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12 to 16"

[quote]The state attorney's office has offered Kaitlyn Hunt a plea deal which includes two years' house arrest and a year of probation, which would stay on her adult record and limit her career choices, according to Examiner.

And these parents are way out of line.

[quote]The other girl's parents repeatedly tried to have Kaitlyn, a senior, expelled from school. Despite the Sebastian River High School administration's denial of their request, and a judge's order allowing Kaitlyn to remain in school (so long as the girls had no contact), the 15-year-old's parents successfully petitioned the school board to have Hunt removed from school weeks prior to graduation.

by Anonymousreply 505/20/2013

My niece went through this. She was 16 her boyfriend had just turned 18. They had dated a year. Her Dad gets him arrested and charged with similar charges. I remember talking to the boys attorney offering to testify against my brothers side and he said the boy was screwed. He ended up with probation and sex offender registration.

by Anonymousreply 605/20/2013

I was dating a 26 year old I met while hitch hiking when I was 15. And I really think he was lying about his age and was older. He was too big for me.

by Anonymousreply 705/20/2013

You weren't dating, R7. You were molested. At the very least you were exploited.

This kind of denial always disturbs me. I recently heard a gay aquaintance boast of the 30 year old "boyfriend" he had when he was 13, and how he exclusively bottomed for the older man, who he described as "so big it hurt". He not only thought this was normal, but something I would envy. I smiled wanly and changed the subject.

What kind of creep in their late 20s/30s "dates"/anally rapes teenagers? If one of my peers today admitted to fucking high schoolers I'd call the cops.

Having said that, a 17 year old dating a 15 year old is pretty normal, even when the 17 year old turns 18. No one blinks an eye when the senior quarterback dates a sophmore cheerleader.

by Anonymousreply 805/20/2013

r8, I didn't feel molested. I thumbed him down on his motorcycle and willingly dated him for months. Mostly because of the motorcycle. He was a soap actor. I admit, I don't understand how I could have been terribly interesting to him at my age beyond my body so he probably is a pedophile, but I was not taken advantage of.

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2013

It's Florida. She's lucky to escape jail.

by Anonymousreply 1005/20/2013

R7/9, what kind of dates did you go on? Movies, soda shop, beach bonfires? Or was it just sex?

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2013

"This kind of denial always disturbs me"

What denial? He was 15, not 5. Many 15-year-olds are sexually active. A 15-year-old is old enough to choose to have sex. Oh, wait, I forgot - if you are a 15-year-old who chooses to have sex with another 15-year-old that's fine, but if you choose to have sex with an 18-year-old you'll be "traumatized for life"

Some people just want to pretend that teenagers do not have sexual desires

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

[quote]18 and 15 do not belong together. I don't care what type of relationship.

Apparently society thinks they are close enough in age to go to the same high school at the same time. If it is against the law for high school seniors to date high school freshmen, they really ought to make that clear to all high school students everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

Even Texas has a "Romeo and Juliet" law. Believe it or not, the older one couldn't be prosecuted in TX.

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

Some states have a series of different penalties under the law depending on the difference in ages.

A 30 year old having sex with a 15 year old would face more severe penalties than someone who was 18 with a 15 year old.

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

They didn't have sex. They dated and made out, hence the odd nature of the crimes alleged.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

[quote]You can call me a prude or whatever

"idiot' works too

by Anonymousreply 2005/20/2013

You first R17

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

R21, I understand the idea that 15 is young to be having sexual intercourse but any attraction between people 18 and 15 is not pedophilia. An 18-year-old can be developmentally closer to a 15-year-old than he or she might be to a person over 21.

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

Are you really saying a senior in high school can't date a sophomore? A senior who turns 18 in January can't date sophomore who doesn't turn 16 until May?

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

Those parents should have been ecstatic - no chance of a Teen Mom situation, just two girls harmlessly fingering each other.

by Anonymousreply 2605/20/2013

F.U. Texas!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2705/20/2013

I get where people are saying that an 18 doesn't belong with a 15 year old. But clearly the 15 year old student's homophobic parents have been planning all along to have the girl arrested as soon as she turned 18. They're convinced the 18 year old turned their precious innocent child into a lesbian.

Leaving that aside for a second, this doesn't justify the school board expelling her from school when she hasn't been convicted of anything. Homophobia is playing a role there too.

by Anonymousreply 2805/20/2013

"A minor is a minor is a minor. It doesn't matter what the norm is."

Uh, except the age of consent is different everywhere. It's 16 in some states, 17 in others, and 18 in a minority of states. And of course it is 16 or under in Canada and most European countries. MOST people start having sex before they turn 18.

by Anonymousreply 2905/20/2013

The 15-year-old is the only girl in her school who isn't playing Pregnancy Roulette, and the parents are ANGRY??

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

[quote]They didn't have sex. They dated and made out, hence the odd nature of the crimes alleged.

So it was obviously a witch hunt, probably pushed by the parents who got the older girl expelled from school. Nobody should have that kind of power.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

To the people who say 17yo-18yo and 15yo together is wrong: Did freshman and sophomores date seniors in your high school? They did in mine. And no one considered them pedophiles. And none of them were arrested when they turned 18yo.

This whole thing is a witch hunt. (but thank god Kaitlyn Hunt has many pictures looking white, young, pretty and blonde. that has to count for something even in Florida right?)

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

[quote]MOST people start having sex before they turn 18.

The CDC reports that 57% of females 15-19 and 58% of males 15-19 had not had heterosexual vaginal intercourse in the most recent time period measured (2006-2010).

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Did you miss the part where they didn't have sex, R36?

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

R37. That's why it was sexual battery and not rape.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

Americans are such ridiculous prudes. Is it any wonder you have so many unwanted children as the result of your complete denial of sex education of your young people? How much of your tax dollars do you piss away on this sort of idiotic prosecution? Do you wonder why the rest of the world refuses to take you seriously?

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

[quote]If this was an 18 year old male and a 15 year old girl you would all be screaming for his castration.

No, actually, we wouldn't, because it would be just as stupid.

[quote]Just because it was a lesbian relationship does not change the age of consent or make it right.

The girls are two and a half years apart in age, with a consensual relationship that began when one was 15 and the other 17. There is not a damn thing wrong with such a relationship. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

What this comes down to is whether or not one believes a 15 year old is capable of consent. I think a lot of people don't want to believe that a 15 year old girl is capable of not only wanting sex, but that she has a right to have whatever kind of sex she wants - at her own pace and in her own time and choosing.

Numerous people on this thread seem to want to control young women and their sexuality. See where it gets you (hint: pregnancy, std's and kids that can't and won't talk to you/trust you anymore....prob a bunch of sexual violations thrown in there too - because as caregivers you're too squeamish to assure these said young women that they have a right to choose and you're likely not raising boys to expect women to be forthright/assured/agentic). Please do the rest of us a favor and don't have children... or assume any responsibility for guiding any children you know.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

[quote] The parents are doing the right thing, the 18 year old seems to be a predator.

Gimme a break. That's just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

[quote]f a parent isn't comfortable with dating situation they have a right to step in.

The problem is, these parents did NOT step in when the relationship began; they lay in wait and did nothing until the older girl's 18th birthday and then had her arrested out of the blue. If they'd been genuinely concerned that the older girl was too old for their daughter or just not appropriate for her in whatever way, they should have stepped in immediately, broken up the relationship, and made sure the older girl AND her parents knew that they had forbidden their daughter to date the other girl. Additionally, the parents of the younger girl should have warned the other girl and her parents that if the relationship did not end per their wishes, they'd be taking legal action when the older girl turned 18. They did none of these things, because their real goal was not to protect their daughter from an inappropriate relationship, but to see the older girl punished as harshly as possible for "converting" their daughter to lesbianism. They weren't about to take any steps that might jeopardize their opportunity to have her arrested and prosecuted.

[quote]Granted these two seem to have set up the older girl

No shit, Sherlock. That is exactly what they did, and the only goal of their action. You are a sicko yourself if you have no problem with this.

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

About 10 years ago there was a case here in Michigan involving a 14 or 15 year old girl and 3 boys either 16 or 17. They attended the same HS. The girl was sneaking out of her house ever night and meeting much older men in motels then taking a taxi home and going to school. She came from a upper middle class family, dad a psychiatrist. They obviously did not keep an eye on the daughter. Anyway, this girl finally got caught by the parents when they read her diary and discovered what she was up to. Can't remember if the men she met in motels were anonymous but I don't remember anything happening with that. Instead the courts go after the classmates and they were convicted as sex offenders. Several years later the AG took them off the sex offender list and they went on to college. A law changed and they received notice that they would be put on the registry again. My friends son was one of the teenagers and ended up committing suicide.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

R45, your story makes no sense as told. You neglected to explain the connection between the male classmates and the girl who was sneaking out of the house to meet much older men in motels. Obviously, her teenage schoolmates were not the "much older men" so what did they have to do with the story and what were they prosecuted for?

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

[bold] Is it Illegal to Be a Gay Teen in Florida? [/bold]

We can talk about supporting marriage equality and gay acceptance all we want, but LGBT teens still struggle with all sorts of bullying, homelessness and other issues related to oppression. Even legal issues. A Florida crisis case right now illustrates the precariousness of being an LGBT teen in a frightening way.

A high school student is facing felony charges because on her 18th birthday the parents of her girlfriend decided to legally harass her. I don't understand why law enforcement is assisting this, because [bold] if Kaitlyn were an 18-year-old boy they wouldn't be involved. In Florida, typically legal action about consensual relationships between teens would only be pursued if the one person is 24-years-old or older. [/bold]

It seems clear that Kaitlyn is in trouble because she's gay. There is a window of time where she has already turned 18 and before her girlfriend turns 16, and carefully timed prosecution is leveraging that against her. Her supportive and desperate parents have posted a petition with the hopes of showing Florida's justice system that the world is watching and doesn't condone such persecution:

My daughter Kaitlyn is a wonderful 18-year-old who is not guilty of anything other than a high school romance, but is being prosecuted for 2 felony counts of "lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12-16 years of age," because she has a girlfriend who is 15.

Kailtyn's girlfriend's parents are pressing charges because they are against the same-sex relationship, even though their daughter has stated that this is a consensual relationship. The two girls began dating while Kaitlyn was 17 but her girlfriend's parents blamed Kailtyn for their daughter's homosexuality. They waited until after Kaitlyn turned 18 and went to the police to have charges brought against her.

I'm really worried about this, and about these young women who are being shredded in a legal chess game because they are in a relationship. Aren't there many more appropriate ways for families to address this sort of issue without felony charges? Felony charges? I can't even wrap my brain around it the disproportionate actions against these young women.

I'm signing the petition, in case a show of support helps this family show prosecutors that an injustice like this is not going to be ignored, and in case it helps show other gay teens that the majority of the world does not want their behavior criminalized. What else can we do? What would you do if you were the parents in this case?

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

46 sorry for the confusion. The girl had many, many relationships with much older men ( 30 plus) and sex with the three classmates that were 2 years older than her. The classmates were arrested and charged as sex offenders.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2013

So r1 you are saying a senior should never date a freshman or sophomore?

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

Ridiculous, hypocritical and liberticidal. Sexual majority in my country is 15 as it should be. Make your laws change and tell the government to get the fuck out of Americans' bedrooms. The American citizenry should fight for its freedom.

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

This is so fucked up of the younger girls parents. I am afraid that the parents will work on their daughter and get her to recant her statement that she voluntarily got into the relationship and instead say that she was seduced or tricked into it.

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!