Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did you think of the "Joker"?

I think the Joker was quite possibly the best supervillain of all time. He was extremely smart, and so good with words that it was entertaining to watch him. Also, when placed next to the damaged and depressed Bruce Wayne, he was a lot more fun. I find myself rooting for the Joker more than I root for Bruce Wayne. Even though, technically, he is supposed to be the good guy.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2013

He's not my favourite, though he seems like a decent enough guy. I still prefer Nadal, or any of the other top players.

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2013

The makeup sucked and they overlooked the fact the character doesn't wear makeup, his skin is bleached or damaged by chemicals. The performance saved it, but the makeup and overt terrorist mode of the character sucked. It is a children's film, after all.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

There's only one Joker and he belongs to Cesar Romero.

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

op=the Heath Ledger troll off his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2013

Cue the irrational twats with agendas.

this means you r1 through r5.

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2013

No, R6, it's actually the Heath Ledger Troll OP who is the twat with an agenda. He's also completely insane.

Anywho, The Joker is not my favorite villain, nor is he the best villain ever - not by a long shot.

I think Dr. No and some of the other Bond villains are fun. The Wicked Witch of the West, of course, she's always a high ranking villain and may be my favorite of all time.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

Lex Luthor.

Gene Hackman.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

I did not like Heath Ledger in the role as The Joker.

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2013

Jack Nicholson was a better Joker.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

I'm a Riddler guy myself.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

I prefer Chandell (and his brother Harry)

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2013

"the Heath Ledger troll off his meds again."

What makes you think he was ever on meds? The HLT has been doing this for months.

Seriously, HLT, get help before this obsession kills everything that's good in your life.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2013

Yeah OP, do you have brain damage? What a stupid post you've written. Is this part of some 5th grade essay exam?

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2013

Is Javier the HLT?

The answer is no, he was not a great actor Javi. He was pretty shit in most stuff including the Batman movie & that was not entirely his fault. Nolan had to rework the thing because of HL's death as it was already DONE by his death, more HL had to be in it, including cut scenes to it was a huge mess of a picture.

IMHO, possibly the best "villian" ever might have been Richard Burton in 1984 IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2013

I shoot my friends in the face.

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2013

R16. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2013

[quote]The makeup sucked and they overlooked the fact the character doesn't wear makeup, his skin is bleached or damaged by chemicals.

What the fuck are you talking about??!

[quote]The performance saved it, but the makeup and overt terrorist mode of the character sucked.

Did you ever read the comic book?!

[quote]It is a children's film, after all.

No it's not.

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2013

[quote]Jack Nicholson was a better Joker.

The consensus among the devotees of the comic is that Ledger was not only the best Joker of all-time, he now owns the role. Mark Hamill owns the animated role.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

The Joker is NOTHING compared to Lola Lasagna played by the great Ethel Merman.

by Anonymousreply 2005/20/2013

[quote]The consensus among the devotees of the comic is that Ledger was not only the best Joker of all-time, he now owns the role. Mark Hamill owns the animated role.

Yes. Because Heath Ledger DIED. That's the only reason. There have been multiple actors to play the Joker and they've ALL been considered definitive in their time. Are you 12 years old for Christ's sake?

[quote] Did you ever read the comic book?!

Have you? I don't think so. The Joker has had multiple incarnations in the comic book since 1940.

Explaining these things to children is a joke in itself.

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

THe person with the best understanding of the Joker was Tim Burton. Batman was driven because his parents were murdered in cold blood. (which in burton's vision was the small time crook who would be the Joker). The joker created the batman, the batman created the joker.

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

I am partial to Louie the Lilac.

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

I hate the Dark Knight series. Nolan has sucked all the fun out of Batman. It's a comic book, for chrissakes! Comics are supposed to be fun. At least the Marvel franchise understands the far fetched realities their characters inhabit. I've loved Batman all my life but refuse to sit through the most recent piece of shit Batman.

Let's face it-Nolan wanted Oscars and he got them. His films were Oscar bait. Burton got audience appeal. Nolan's films wallow in misery and deadly seriousness. Burton's are campy and fun but still very dark.

People seem to forget how wildly successful and popular Tim Burton's Batman movies were. Probably more of an event than these Dark Knight movies. And at least Tim Burton's Batman movies aren't synonymous with actors overdosing and theater shootings.

by Anonymousreply 2505/24/2013

Dzhokhar is cute, let's face it.

by Anonymousreply 2605/24/2013

James Holmes is a cutie. Squeee!

by Anonymousreply 2705/24/2013

[quote]Yes. Because Heath Ledger DIED. That's the only reason.

Nope. The comic book community is made up of purists. They couldn't give a shit if Ledger lived or died.

[quote]Have you? I don't think so. The Joker has had multiple incarnations in the comic book since 1940.

Yes, I have, and the comment I was responding to consisted of a supposed definitive back story to the character. The character has had multiple back stories, so no, Nolan's version was not incorrect.

[quote]THe person with the best understanding of the Joker was Tim Burton. Batman was driven because his parents were murdered in cold blood. (which in burton's vision was the small time crook who would be the Joker). The joker created the batman, the batman created the joker.

This never happened in the comic book, which is why fans hate Burton with a passion.

[quote]People seem to forget how wildly successful and popular Tim Burton's Batman movies were.

Only the first one. The second was panned (although it was my favorite).

I still say Burton got the tone right, but he took liberties beyond belief. The studio got him to do a sequel by letting him create a 'Tim Burton' film, not a 'Batman'. I think the second film would have done better today.

I was happy back in the late 90s, following the direction the studio was heading intending to restart the franchise. I even wanted Bale. It was great, but it was time to stop. I was tired of walking out of the theater feeling depressed. I also don't buy Bale as the definitive Batman. That voice was ridiculous.

At least audiences can take a darker, social tone in these films now, something "Batman Returns" had, which turned off audiences.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

The Joker was excellent in the TV series. That Aussie actor ruined the part in the film.

by Anonymousreply 2906/17/2013

I've also decided I love Hitler more than Churchill and FDR and Truman! I'm so adorable, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 3006/17/2013

There are dozens of great villains in the Batman mythos. They just need to play them straight, not for exaggerated comedy (which is why the Joker worked in both movies) and they'd be fascinating.

When they don't take them seriously, they're absurd, like Schwartzenegger's Mr. Freeze.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.