Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Santa Fe: What a dump!

A friend and are in Santa Fe and it's surprising how little this place has going for it. There's awesome hiking nearby, beautiful scenery, and food; however, is there really a big market for turquoise/silver/kitschy art? And what's with all the drug addicts (seriously, scab-ridden homeless people) and thugs?

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013

You would be surprised how much junk jewelry people will buy and how much they are willing to pay.

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2013

Santa Fe is a state capital and an intellectual center. Dig deeper OP and stay off the main square.

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2013

Also you are probably suffering from altitude sickness.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

Isn't New Mexico the serial killer capitol of the country?

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

r5 = serial killer

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2013

Come back for the opera season. World class opera happens here.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

At least it's not Flagstaff.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

R1, Brought 2 Chinese friends to Sedona. LOL at all of the "Native American-style" jewelry that said "made in China." They'd also never seen cacti before, and couldn't understand the term "hippy-dippy."

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2013

If I recall from many years ago, Santa Fe wasn't so much a dump, but there was surprisingly not much there. I was there around the Fourth of July (not for opera) for a few days.

I'm not a big fan of the desert and the very hot dry climate at that time of year, but the town did have a bit of low key appeal. Not a dump, just nothing much.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

You'd think that DL would piece it together already and realize that, with the exception of few small, illustrious neighborhoods and scenic natural features scattered here/there and far/wide, there's "not much going on" in the USA, nor is much of it pretty or elegant by posters' standards.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

Neil Patrick Harris ‏@ActuallyNPH 2h

Santa Fe is filled with middle aged people who don’t care what they act like. The good kind of mid life crisis. It’s oddly inspiring

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2013

I felt the same way about Ashville North Carolina. After being told it was "The San Francisco of the East"I was amazed the inbred redneck bucktooth hillbilly attitude. Meth and cheap beer are the drugs of choice and apart from looking at beautiful scenery there is just nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

The restaurants and art galleries are good in Santa Fe, but that's pretty much it. I enjoyed my weekend there, but I don't have any desire to go back anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2013

So dry there...Santa Fe is the nose-picking capital of the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013

I stayed here once years ago when I was in town working with a sound designer for a TV commercial my company did. Nice place.

I remember the advertising agency crew and I went to the chi-chi restaurant of the moment that night and it started snowing while we were dining. It had been rather warm that day and no snow forecast.

Snow is rare at home in Georgia so this was a treat for me.

I also remember buying a bag of roasted pine nuts from a street vendor the next day, a first for me.

And I seem to remember that some of the crew wanted to go to a Japanese bath house on the outskirts of town while we were there. Is there one in Santa Fe?

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2013

It's called 10,000 Waves.

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2013

All of New Mexico is a shithole, even Albuquerque.

by Anonymousreply 1805/19/2013

All these little small towns with big tourist trades (Santa Fe, Asheville, Key West, St. Augustine) are just dumps that exist merely to perpetuate the sale of shit from China.

by Anonymousreply 1905/19/2013

Actually there is more in Santa Fe than meets the eye. I remember interviewing with an i.t. venture capitalist from there in the 80s. Flew over to our graduate school to interview candidates in his personal Learjet. Not something you would have expected from a dusty little metro of 50,000. If you have an interest like theoretical physics, you will find lots of company in a place like Santa Fe. What you will not find is homegrown high culture. It is even a little stunted in terms of New Mexican culture. If you were expecting the Milagro Beanfield War except more complex and elevated, well, you're SOL. What's there has been imposed on it by coastal high flyers. But the candelarias scenes at Christmas are to die for.

by Anonymousreply 2005/19/2013

On the contrary R19, that's not how they make money. Their money is all in catering to the small number of rich travelers who want special pampering. Which in Santa Fe usually involves some kind of sex.

by Anonymousreply 2105/19/2013

Uhhhh... rich people don't go to Key West and Santa Fe anymore.

What decade are you posting from, the Forties? Who the fuck do you think you are, Doris Duke?

by Anonymousreply 2205/19/2013

R13, you have been misinformed. San Francisco is the Boston of the West.

by Anonymousreply 2305/19/2013

The woman who owns the house next door to me moved to Santa Fe with her husband a few years ago. She spends her life obsessing over not allowing anything unnatural into her life. No fabrics, food or any material that is not 100% natural. Her mother was wondering what kind of gift to get her daughter and I suggested, since she lived in a hot climate, a self-watering flower planter. Well, you would have thought I exposed my genitals and began masturbating by the look of shocked horror on her face.

"Oh no! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! That has plastic in it! (Clutches chest) She would never allow something like that in her house!"

I said, "She doesn't have to put it in her house. She could put it on her porch or patio. It would be outsi---"

"No! Never!"

Her mother instead gave her a 100% natural fibre yoga shirt.

The woman's son is on the Feingold diet, because sugar and preservatives and processed food is toxic. He wasn't even allowed to have coloured eggs at Easter, even though food colouring is made with vegetable dye. It was still too unnatural for the poor little fellow, thus he must not touch such a thing.

When your whole life involves a lot of agonising over what sort of things are allowed within your perimeter, living in a place like Santa Fe is meaningless. The excitement of analysing your life's minutiae will keep you occupied no matter where you are.

She's an arttist, says her mother. Artists are more sensitive than most people. She once sold a painting. Once.

by Anonymousreply 2405/19/2013

The city is build for retired lesbians, OP, what the fuck did you expect

by Anonymousreply 2505/19/2013

You are there off season. My partner and I go in August when there is quite bit going on. We rent a house near the Opera and have dinner parties with friends. Santa Fe is not the place to go if you want a night life, but it's a great place for couples.

All of my native American jewelry are family pieces, but we do collect pottery. We have a pot from nearly all of the Pueblo Tribes.

by Anonymousreply 2605/19/2013

Bette says it best...

by Anonymousreply 2705/19/2013

R18 must be from New Jersey. An even stickier shithole.

by Anonymousreply 2805/19/2013

I thought Albuquerque was the shithole of the entire state? I'd seen it described as full of single mothers looking for men who'll marry them.

Santa Fe struck me as a tourist trap ... a southwest version of Nantucket.

by Anonymousreply 2905/19/2013

I love the weather in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Love the desert climate and the high elevation. In the summer it is hot during the day, but only for a few hours and it always cools down at night. I also love the wind. It can get very windy. The sky is just crystal clear. In the winter, it is not too cold during the day, but it gets frigid at night and sometimes it gets very snowy.

Both cities are wonderful for lounging and relaxing and just go out to eat. If you want to be clubbing or partying or go to shows, these cities will disappoint you.

by Anonymousreply 3005/19/2013

So if you live in a city with a resident opera company, there's really no reason to go to Santa Fe.

by Anonymousreply 3105/19/2013

I would not go to Santa Fe for the Opera. I would go for the weather and the spas. Just to relax and enjoy the scenery and the weather. There is also good hiking if you like that. Mostly, I just like to relax and get spa treatments and eat.

by Anonymousreply 3205/19/2013

The rich don't go to Santa Fe?

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2013

Anyone who lives in Santa Fe, goes to the Opera on weekends. You pretty much see everyone there.

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

And by everyone, R34 means gaggles of geriatric lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!