Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Baz Luhrmann gay?

I know he's married to a woman. But he's very good-looking, especially for his age, and takes incredibly good care of himself. And his films are the gayest things ever. Plus, he tends to focus on the asses of his male stars: GATSBY has a very tight tracking shot basically on Joel Edgington's muscular ass as he gets off his polo pony and walks into his mansion, and Luhrmann similarly focused very much on Paul mercurio's ass in STRICTLY BALLROOM.

by Anonymousreply 5708/19/2014

I don't know if he's gay, but I do know that he's a fucking HACK.

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2013

Mercurio's ass in "Strictly Ballroom" was a fucking work of art. It didn't last long at all so thank god Luhrmann preserved it on film forever.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2013

The marriage is mostly a creative partnership, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2013

They have a couple of kids, R4.

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2013

I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

I see him in the neighbourhood from time to time. He walks around with a very arrogant air.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

There you go, showing my ignorance again. Thanks, R5.

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2013

There was a rumor floating around years ago that he and Lachlan Murdoch were lovers.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

I did some surfing and found Cannes pics. He *is* attractive and rather well put together. He reminds me a lot of Tom Ford (albeit, with different coloring), including his smug look. I have vague memories of seeing a photo of him when MOULIN ROUGE came out, and I don't believe he looked as good then -- he was also heavier then, if memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

Some British paper (the Times.Guardian, Independent,can`t remember,it was a dozen years ago)said of him something like he`s sexually straight but totally gay in spirit-they said he might be a red-blooded Australian male but look into his subconscious and you`ll find more pink feathers and Shirley Bassey than on a Gay Pride parade.

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2013

If he's not gay, or at least bisexual, he is the gayest straight man alive.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

I'll love him forever for "Strictly Ballroom".

One of the funniest movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013

that is Lizzy Gardiner not Catherine Martin r14

Gardiner won for Priscilla

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2013

Don't know where to post this: maybe deservjng its own thread. Legend Rex Reed takes an axe to Luhrmann

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2013

Always thought he was gay, just the music choices in his "films", even having Kylie in one. Hate him.

by Anonymousreply 1805/19/2013

Sorry Op, I'm not trying to derail your thread, but what is with the flood of Australian and British actors, directors, etc. portraying Americans in American movies lately? I love the Australians and the British greatly, but I don't understand why they are portraying Americans so much and doing American theme projects. What is wrong with Americans portraying Americans? and/or doing American theme story, etc.? I wouldn't remotely go to England, Australia, or any other nation and take on a project which is based on their nation or their history. It just seems odd and ridiculous, just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 1905/19/2013

I've thought this for years. I do believe he's gay.

What first got me to thinking that was when he said in an interview (British press) he identified with Mercutio in Romeo + Juliet (the part played by Harold Perrineau in drag during the ballroom scene).

Every single one of his films reinforces that, and his creative partnership with Catherine Martin as well.

He even looks gayer now with the weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 2005/19/2013

Seriously, LOOK AT HIM.

He fell from the top of the gay tree and hit every gay branch on the way down, landed on Hugh Jackman and blew him.

by Anonymousreply 2105/19/2013

R19 there's a recent thread about that. I was thinking one reason was the worldwide market is so big and Hollywood wants to be inclusive.

But it's really always been the case throughout the history of Hollywood with even non-native English speakers movie stars. It's a worldwide creme de la creme thing and Hollywood is where the most opportunities are of course. Also casting directors must be looking for something like this.

by Anonymousreply 2205/19/2013

What is Baz short for?

by Anonymousreply 2305/19/2013

^ Yup, Burt Reynolds crossed with John Inman. And that bow-tie!

by Anonymousreply 2405/19/2013

I mean, why hide?

Keith Urban + Baz Luhrmann (Nicole Kidman stands by)

by Anonymousreply 2505/19/2013

Bisexual Australian Zombie

by Anonymousreply 2605/19/2013

Sublimation 101

by Anonymousreply 2705/19/2013

This is the gayest photo of him I could find.

by Anonymousreply 2805/19/2013

If you think he's straight, watch that video of him telling the story of how he pitch Romeo and Juliet to fox executive. It's really funny too.

by Anonymousreply 2905/19/2013

I've been thinking of that pitching story ever since this thread started.

by Anonymousreply 3005/19/2013

I read the GQ feature on Leonardo DiCaprio and Baz described convincing Leonardo to take the role in "The Great Gatsby" as "drama". That use alone convinced me Luhrmann was on our team.

by Anonymousreply 3105/19/2013

That picture at r21 shows he's had plastic surgery lately.

by Anonymousreply 3205/19/2013

Notorious pussyhound, just like me!

by Anonymousreply 3305/19/2013

R26 wins.

Australia, from what I've read about it, is a very machisto culture, similar to Latin America or the American South in some respects, where even if you are Baz Luhrmann gay, you are still expected to marry and have children (see also: Jackman, Hugh).

Let me put it this way:

Picture Texas.

Now imagine how Texans would see themselves if they were the descendants of convicts.

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2013

[quote]What is Baz short for?

I'd always thought it was short for Sebastian but I just read an interview and he explains that he changed his name in high school. He was born Mark Anthony but was bullied and mocked because his hair resembled a character named Basil Brush so he reclaimed the name.

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

Christ, his biography sounds like Ryan Murphy wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

I interviewed him once, a loooooong time ago. R+J was coming out, and he wasn't yet above doing small press. He's very full of himself. Fine. But yeah, he had a weird, non-sexual or omni-sexual vibe to him. I could totally buy him fucking his wife on Monday, and then getting fucked by a construction worker on Tuesday, a female groupie on Wednesday, a pool boy on Thursday, etc.

I vote bisexual. Or at least a total hedonist who'll engage in anything that involves a pleasant physical sensation.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

Joel Edgerton is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 3905/19/2013

" I love the Australians and the British greatly, but I don't understand why they are portraying Americans so much and doing American theme projects. What is wrong with Americans portraying Americans? "

Australian and British actors are, in general, better trained than American ones. Young American actors have to focus on getting a top agent while they're still high school age (or they'll never have big careers), while the young Brits and Aussies learn to do accents, other periods, stagecraft, memorization, real actors' skills.

Yes, it's fucked up, because Hollywood casting is generally fucked up. Hollywood is so focused on young flash-in-the-pans that it discourages young American actors from developing over the long term.

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2013

Sexy man

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

Catherine Martin was the name of that big fat person I kept in my pit. She didn't know what pain was.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2013

Or, R35, he was bullied and mocked because he was a huge prat even then.

Those who find Catherine unattractive are overlooking the important fact that she's the one with the talent.

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2013

I wonder if Baz is a sociopath.

It would explain the type of films he makes.

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2013

Indeed R43. Considering that his films are merely showcases for the outstanding wardrobe, yes.

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2013

I am surprised to find out he is married to a woman! I always just assumed he was gay from his films and what he looked like. He'd be best pals with Matt Weiner.

by Anonymousreply 4609/22/2013

Took 32 replies to bring up the massive face lift.

He's only in his early 50's and his face so tight it's beyond obvious.

I've heard about the bisexual thing from the British press, but cannot find it.

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2013

Probably not. Does being camp make someone gay? Clearly some of you think so.

by Anonymousreply 4804/29/2014

I thought he's handsome for being 70, but when I read he was only 51, he looks like a drug abuser for that age.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2014

If he's not gay my gaydar must be off

by Anonymousreply 5108/19/2014

I'm meeting him tomorrow, actually.

by Anonymousreply 5208/19/2014

R49 Tell Ian Thorpe Aussies are laid back about gays.

by Anonymousreply 5308/19/2014

No one gave a shit about Ian Thorpe's sexuality, r53. He could have competed in a pink sequined thong as long as he brought home the gold.

by Anonymousreply 5408/19/2014

R19, excellent point. You might also wonder why every good, new-seeming, actor on TV turns out to be Australian (think both leading actors in 2 new USA series - "Rush" and "Satisfaction" are Australian; if I've got that wrong, I apologize.) My favorite: Simon Gray (The Mentalist) - woof!!

by Anonymousreply 5508/19/2014

Baz talking about he and his wife sleeping in different beds.

by Anonymousreply 5608/19/2014

Holy shit!! Is that what he looks like now!?

by Anonymousreply 5708/19/2014
Need more help? Click Here.