Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robert Downey Junior wants 100 million dollars for his role in the next two Avenger Movies

The guy is snobbish, I can't even believe it. He isn't even that good of an actor. Oh the hubris.

by Anonymousreply 5405/19/2013

I wonder if this is his way of getting out of the franchise?

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

Not the OP, but here is a related link. It's from Deadline, so take it with salt.

Basically, RDJ can name his price. The only other actor I'd pay to see along side him is Mark Ruffalo.

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

All that crack isn't gonna buy itself, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

He is very smug, but for some reason it is sexy on him.

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

Damn. He's come a long way.

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

r3, I thought it was smack?

BTW, if the + rumours are true about him, would he even be able to do another one?

He did look in rough shape for part of the promotional tour for the latest.

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

Considering he is a lazy, mean-spirited, dishonest performer who cannot connect with any other actors because of his haze of bullshit, he must be very proud of himself.

I look forward to that inevitable fatal overdose.

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

That's a lot of moolah but remember the franchise has grossed billions, and he's the lead and at this point, nearly irreplaceable. He was supposedly holding out for $ for himself and his co-stars (who are more expendable than him).

Supposedly he took a low up-front fee and extra points for the first 3 films, which is how he made so much $ due to the huge grosses. He'd be smart to do the same again rather than demand guaranteed $.

$50 mil per picture is nothing if they each go on to gross a billion+. That's barely 5%.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

Did Susan Downey hit the jackpot or what? Lucky girl

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

She works hard for the money, r10.

She's his minder, which is no small task since he's become even more insufferable since his comeback.

She is also a legitimate producer, although she focuses on his interests. I think she's somewhat like Emma Thomas (Nolan's wife) in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

r8, care to dish?

That sounds like bitter personal experience.

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

Someone is going to get the money. Why not one of the actors who is responsible for its success instead of a producer or a studio executive.

It would be very nice if the profits were distributed to poor children, but that's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

He shouldn't have said that he would win an Oscar. He's becoming too openly arrogant with his cokehead delusions. Hell, Lindsay Lohan also said this.

I think he probably could win one and has it in him but may have soured his chances. He's better than his peers, the club of 50 year old wooden pretty boy movie stars Pitt/Depp/Cruise/Clooney/Reeves. But they haven't burned as many bridges that no doubt he has.

His comeback is one of the greats, especially since we saw him at absolute rock bottom. Travolta just disappeared from view and was in some shitty B movies.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

It would be nice if the profits for one of these monster CGI fests trickled down to the effects houses.

That probably won't happen, either but it should.

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

He bailed out Cinemfamily/The Silent Movie Theatre on Fairfax in LA. He showed up for a Q&A and gave them sixty thousand dollars when the contributions weren't rolling in. At least that's the story. Cinefamily is one of the coolest places in LA. That said, I'm sick of him as Tony Stark and would enjoy a non-camp, traditionally male, non-panic attack-having portrayal from someone else...soon

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

I believe he was joking r14.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

I hadn't heard that r16. I love that place, I had no idea they were in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

Oh well r17, I hope it doesn't come back to bite him. He was much fun in Tropic Thunder and I'm assuming his Chaplin was great.

You could maybe say he's a bit of a mimic as he started out in comedy.. but well that's not exactly a liability at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

[quote]You could maybe say he's a bit of a mimic as he started out in comedy.. but well that's not exactly a liability at the Oscars. by: J. Foxx

Neither is being the grinnin' House Negro.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

Is it really that impossible to replace RDJ? They would just need to cast a comedienne/actor with a great schtick for "laugh lines." Iron Man sells itself with the special effects.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

If someone is to make money, it should also include the shareholders r13. Those who have risked capital and would suffer if a film loses money. The actors get a guaranteed pay. No guarantee for those with risk.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

Barely 5 percent is huge for one actor in a billion dollar franchise. When you get most greedy is often when you start to head down hill. He's pushing 50 and several younger actors could rebrand Tony Stark. It's the effects, not RDJ.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

And he's worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

Not the way they've scripted the series, r23.

Any other franchise and I'd agree with you. This one is more balanced between the snappy dialogue, character backstory and the CGI.

Whether or not they can technically rewrite for another actor at that level is not as important as whether or not the fans will accept another actor in the role.

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013

Colin Farrell could step in and the franchise wouldn't suffer.

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013

If RDJ doesn't take better care of his health, especially re his indigestion of illegal substances, they're going to have to have a backup plan anyway. Might as well start thinking about it sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

Iron Man in not an indispensable character in The Avengers comic books. Get someone sexy, tall, muscular and flirtatious to replace him as the She-Hulk (Saffron Burrows?), and get someone sexy and Slavic to play the Scarlet Witch (Olga Kurylenko?), and someone hot and simultaneously stoic and smoldering as the Vision (Jason Statham?), and you wouldn't even miss him.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

How about they all feel satisfied with four monster successes and then move on to an original fucking idea?

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

ScarJo was really unmemorable and I don't mind her. Could use a good female character.

I would rather they did Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, I was all about Iceman and Firestar. I can see why Bale baled on a Batman with Robin, they'd seriously have to reboot that to work. Solo Robin defeats the purpose surely.

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

I hope they work it out RDJ for A2. If not they can just put the Iron Man armor on Cheadle for that movie and replace RDJ as Stark in Phase 3.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

Those movies make gazillions. He's worth the money and I hope he gets it.

I have zero interest in "Iron Man" or "The Avengers" and only saw them because of Downey Jr's talent.

by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2013

Me too r127. Only saw them because of him and the guy who plays Loki. I have to say that RDJ was great in it, he's terrible in the Sherlock movies though.

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2013

Get rid of him, and have Charlize Theron play Ms. Marvel. She could provide Iron Man's snark while being even more badass.

by Anonymousreply 3405/18/2013

He's really started looking old the past five years. For a long time he had held off the aging process.

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

They can replace anyone. Ask Terrance Howard or Toby McGwire. If you followed the comics at one point they made Stark the bad guy and then de aged him and re incorporated him into the comics (think swapping out RDJ for Channing Tatum. Same kind of smarmy good guy suttering acting.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

[quote]Supposedly he took a low up-front fee and extra points for the first 3 films, which is how he made so much $ due to the huge grosses.

He's been quoted as saying he made $50 million -- upfront, not back-end -- for "Iron Man 3." His quote for the next two "Avengers" flicks isn't surprising in the least.

That said, this is the fucking MARVEL universe, so they can always replace his ass with a one-two-three punch of Dr. X, Magneto and Wolverine. (And no, it's not unprecedented to mix the X-Men and Avengers; in the comics they went to war with one another fairly recently.) Hell, even Spiderman can make a cameo!

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

Understandable. He's nearly 50. He's got to cash in now before the Iron Man 'reboots' start with a younger actor.

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

If he only wants to make a movie for the money, if that's pretty much the only reason, then he has to cash in. He doesn't actually have to cash in though, he already has hundreds of millions of dollars. But he probably does only want to make these comic book movies for the money.

by Anonymousreply 3905/19/2013

He doesn't seem interested in doing anything but making as much money as possible.

by Anonymousreply 4005/19/2013

I would be interested in being gang-raped again, like back in Cellblock H.

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 4105/19/2013

The Sherlock Holmes franchise hasn't been nearly as successful for him.

by Anonymousreply 4205/19/2013

Because the movies haven't been nearly as good.

by Anonymousreply 4305/19/2013

I wonder if he still does recreational drugs occasionally, but is more able to keep it under control now. I'd hate to have all that money but never get to high ever, even when partying.

by Anonymousreply 4405/19/2013

Keanu got over $260 million from the Marix films.

And that was a while ago.

Not a stretch for Downey to make $100 million.

by Anonymousreply 4505/19/2013

Why not? The movies make billions.

by Anonymousreply 4605/19/2013

[quote]especially re his indigestion of illegal substances

This one merits a dear god.

by Anonymousreply 4705/19/2013

The studio should tell him to hit the road. With all his money, at least do 1 of these many marvel films for a fucking small amount. How about he gets 25 million? He has enough already.

by Anonymousreply 4805/19/2013

[quote] I wonder if he still does recreational drugs occasionally, but is more able to keep it under control now. I'd hate to have all that money but never get to high ever, even when partying

I don't know about drugs, but he drinks. I don't know if he does it a lot or to what degree, but someone I know saw him drinking alcohol recently

by Anonymousreply 4905/19/2013

He signed up for an indie movie with Favreau next, so I guess he still does movies for pleasure and not just for money. I doubt he wants to do much more Marvel stuff esp since Iron Man 3 was such a dumb movie. Maybe Avengers 2 and 3 and another Iron Man in 5 years or so.

I hope he won't do another one of those god awful Sherlock movies. His wife probably pushing for another one though. He is the perfect cash cow for her, and she seems pretty keen on making lots of money.

by Anonymousreply 5005/19/2013

I just googled his wife, and she's accomplished in her own right, a movie producer. So she's certainly no bimbo gold-digger.

by Anonymousreply 5105/19/2013

RDJ wife was responsible for a lot of stupid movies when she was working with Joel Silver. She seems very smug to me, don't know she always has a fake smile.

by Anonymousreply 5205/19/2013

R47, I know, I know. I was just being silly. If I had purposely chosen to be grammatically correct I would have written, "especially concerning his overindulgence in alcohol and supposed consumption of illegal substances."

It always amazes me that celebs at the top of their game apparently think that "enjoying life to excess and without moderation" will never affect their looks or health.

by Anonymousreply 5305/19/2013

OP, in the immortal words of William Shatner: "Get a life."

by Anonymousreply 5405/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!