Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does your city have a LGBT bookstore and if so do you still prefer buying online.

I'm making an effort to buy my books and magazines at my LGBT bookstore but I know the owners are having a hard time keeping the doors open. Is it the end for small independant bookstores ?

by Anonymousreply 2405/22/2013

Yes, I still support mine, OP. We used to have two in our area, but we're down to one.

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

We have a B. Dalton's where they have two copies of "Tales of the City" and a dog-eared edition of "The Joy of Gay Sex" that is kept behind the counter. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

I buy online.

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

I own a used book store. Have a GLBT section. Business not bad...plenty of people still want to read print books.

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

They've gone out of business like all the other indie bookstores and movie rental shops. There are still a few record stores for some unknown reason and at least one of them will order books and movies, etc. for my dad who too paranoid to buy things online.

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2013

What city r4? I'm sure some here would love to support a fellow DLer book store.

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2013

We have a Blockbuster in our town. It is the last remaining Blockbuster operating in America right now.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2013

No, but we have a Women's bookstore. The woman I've seen working there looks like the grey haired women's bookstore character on Portlandia.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2013

My snatch smells like Pine Sol

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2013

I wish we had one; impossible to find anything on Amazon these days as the majority of 'gay' books seem to have been written by women for other women most of whom have learned about gay men from anime and Glee.

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2013

r10, it's impossible to find anything on Amazon at all because their search engine is horrible. Horrible. Unusable. Incorrect. Ineffective. Ridiculous. The only way I can find what I'm looking for on there is by doing a Google site search with every word or phrase in quotation marks. Their search narrowing options remove exactly what you're trying to find/buy. And their ratings are completely untrustworthy with over half of them being written by people who have never even purchased the product or are being paid for reviews by the product makers through Vine. It's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2013

About all that are left is Giovanni's Room in Philadelphia, Calamus Bookstore in Boston, Little Sister’s in Vancouver and Glad Day in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2013

No idea why they have not updated since 2010 but....

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

I buy online. No bookstore in this city.

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2013

I thought A Different Light was going to continue their online store but I see its gone. I still miss having a gay bookstore in West Hollywood. Circus of Books is still open but it's turned into a giant gay garage sale - good luck finding anything in there.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013

I buy all my dildos and banana bread on line.

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2013

C'mon r7, there's plenty of Blockbusters still open.

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2013

Charis Books in Atlanta will order anything you want, and it's partially owned by a friend who has been working there since college.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

Denver used to have a store called Category Six, but it went out of business years ago. I shop at a local store called The Tattered Cover.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

In most cities these days, best you can do is find an independent bookstore that is gay friendly. Here in the Phoenix area, our last real gay bookstore closed about 20 years ago.

But Changing Hands Books in Tempe (near ASU)carries most LGBT titles, and occasionally has gay authors doing readings there. Unfortunately, they insist on a guarantee of a certain number of book sales to schedule one, so it really only an option for authors that tend to have a mainstream following as well, and it excludes most small gay-centric publishers.

I agree with you on Amazon's search engine making it tough to find real gay books anymore. Another source for gay books is TLAGay.com, but they tend to favor just a couple of publishers. Or, of course, you can check out individual publishers websites, such as Bold Strokes, Lethe Press, and Dreamspinner, which all do a lot of gay titles.

Another alternative to finding gay books to read might be simply following one reviewer on Amazon who does a lot of gay books. Just click on his/her name in a review, which brings up all of that person's reviews, in chronological order. I've gotten e-mails from lots of people who say they do that with my reviews on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

I don't think I've been in a LGBT bookstore since L'Androgyne in Montréal closed.

R11 Vine is being phased out (but don't let on to the psycho, entitled Vine members). Look, instead, for reviews from Amazon Verified Purchasers. They've, at least, bought the product and tend to have less of an axe to grind--though authors are still try to influence their reviews. But any duplicate purchases with the same CC or same IP address are only allowed one review.

R20 I, too, get a lot of nice comments about my reviews from other Amazon customers and reviewers.

by Anonymousreply 2205/22/2013

[quote]I, too, get a lot of nice comments about my reviews from other Amazon customers and reviewers.

There are far too few of us giving honest, impartial reviews, R22. And that's a shame.

I recently reviewed what is the WORST gay film I have ever seen, a disaster called "A Heaven for Queers." The only review posted was by the writer/director of the film, who gave it (big surprise here) FIVE stars out of five. I gave it three, and added that I was being overly generous due to the efforts of the actors, who were clearly trying to do their best despite the cheezy plot and eye-rolling dialogue. I actually got an e-mail from one of the actors in the film, who told me *he* couldn't even sit through the whole thing, it was that bad. :)

BTW, my reviews are not usually marked as "Amazon Verified Purchaser" ... since I get almost all of them free from publishers to review. I also review the books (not films) for a local gay newsmagazine.

by Anonymousreply 2305/22/2013

If you buy online you can't use the gloryholes. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 2405/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.