Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Society encourages male promiscuity while looking down on women who do the same

Anyone who's seen a James Bond movie knows this. Somehow Bond's cool for the number of women he knocks up but you put a woman in his place, she'd be considered a dirty whore.

How did these biases come to be?

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2013

It's a (straight) Man's world, They wrote the rules.

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

Deal, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

What R1 said.

But then again, you knew that, didn't you, troll?

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

Jesus fucking Christ. What Luddite posted this shit?

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

Note R5's misplaced reference to a luddite.

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

I never heard that Bond had kiddies?

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

[quote]Society encourages STRAIGHT male promiscuity while looking down on women who do the same.

Fixed that for you.

They look down on gay male promiscuity too.

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

They encourage treating women like dirt, generally. If someone brags about doing the same to a male, they would not be accepted.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

OP--How do you feel about letting colored people sit at the counter?

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

If the woman is older and has raised an heir, she has historically been let off the hook, a bit.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

[quote] How did these biases come to be? Evolutionary biology.

Really? Read some frigging Sarah Blaffer Hrdy.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

In a truly patriarchal society, no check is put on dominant male sexuality other than physical access to "other men's" women, while female sexuality is reviled, suppressed, or extinguished.

Many of the old prejudices remain, including the belief that female sexuality is "bad".

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

Uh, James Bond is cool because he has a license to kill, drinks like a fish, and is British. Not to mention the fact that he saved the world like, a million times. It has nothing to do with him being a whore.

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

Why are old lesbians always consumed with what patriarchal minds think? Step up, women, and stop trying to please your fathers. We don't need male approval.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

Men can't get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

Male entitlement has been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

It's a word.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

So is "interuterine," but it does not belong in a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

[quote]Who fucking cares, really?

I surely don't.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

Because straight men like to control women. They have put it in everyone's mind that unless you are a straight man, you shouldn't be sexual. That goes against straight women, lesbians and gay males. the teaching to women was : sex is bad and should only be done to please your man; you don't have/should have the same desires. It's changing of course.

Very do as I say, not as I do.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

It's because reliable (not foolproof) contraception hasn't been in existence all that long in the grand sceme of things. Biologically it has always made sense for women to be selective and picky in choosing a mate.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

Works for me....

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

So OP assumes promiscuity is preferable. Interesting.

Ask Dory Previn about being expected to perform like a circus animal.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

r31, I believe the OP's point is that there is a difference in the way the genders are treated for the same behavior.

by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2013

No shit R32. I believe OP assumes that being of the gender that society encourages to be promiscuous is preferable.

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2013

r31/r33 are you saying that because society doesn't look down on slutty straight men that there is a pressure for straight men to be slutty?

by Anonymousreply 3405/18/2013

r19 gave the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 3605/18/2013

Yes, r19 is correct. Ancient societies were patriarchal, and that attitude has remained with us ever since: that a man controls a woman -- his wife -- in order to ensure that the children she gives birth to are his.

I'm reading "The Forsyte Saga" right now and it's shocking how Soames Forsyte views Irene as his "property."

by Anonymousreply 3705/18/2013

r20: anyone using the term homophobia is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3805/18/2013

Even gay men are on board with this. A man like Tiger Woods is just "spreading his seed" because it's all natural and good. Any women fucking a 10th of the people he fucked would be called a diseased whore slut cunt.

To the gay men supporting this fucked up double-standard: hope you rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 3905/18/2013

James Bond is a fictional character. Nobody like James Bond ever really existed. He's a fantasy. I doubt very many people think male promiscuity is "cool" after seeing a James Bond movie. They are just entertained.

Women get more flack about being promiscuous than men, but I don't think guys who fuck around a lot are regarded in a much better light.

I've been doing some trash reading lately. I've been reading the individual memoirs of three members of KISS: Peter Criss, Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons. ALL of them fucked around a lot, especially Simmons. Simmons was known for fucking ANYTHING; young, old, fat, thin, pretty, ugly. I doubt there's anybody around who admires them for it. Simmons was especially revolting. In Criss's memoir he recalls an incident where Simmons and Paul Stanley were in close proximity at a microphone. Stanley recoiled from Simmons and exclaime "what did you eat?!" Apparently his breath was quite foul. And Simmons replied "what do you think I ate?" Criss said they Simmons grinned and that "you could see the menstrual blood on his teeth."

by Anonymousreply 4005/18/2013

It's 2013, yet Women's Liberation has not changed any of this, the women celebs who are out there sexually are still called "whores" and "sluts".

A sexually active woman who talks about their sex life will always get the thumbs down from a society who still praises the same behaviour in men.

IIRC, actress Zoe Saldana used to talk about having "a lot of sex" as being one of her fave pastimes. These days, she seems to not talk about her sex life at all, I guess her manager and publicist told her to tone down the sex talk. In TV interviews, she seems as dumb as a box of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 4105/18/2013

OP= posting from 1938.

My female friends in college are much sluttier than my male friends and no one judges them. It's a thing of the past. Frankly, I think it'd be nice to get back to a little bit of judgement.

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2013

[quote]in order to ensure that the children she gives birth to are his.

The women-cannot-enjoy-sex came later but stems from this. It's all about money and property inheritance. Men ruled, they wanted to ensure that their property and money went to their offspring, not someone else's. Pre DNA testing and the old blood testing, there was no way to be certain of paternity.

Additionally, matriarchal religions were crushed by patriarchal ones and there was a lot of woman-hating shit that came about because of that.

OP, please see Women's Studies 101 at any local college.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2013

2 words. Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2013

r42, college is different.

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2013

I don't know anyone in the age range who differentiates, so it's not just my friends from school. A lot of kids think it's perfectly okay for a woman to have as many sex partners as she wants. Maybe this is something from the past but it's not true now. I'm a gay man and I have a boyfriend (monogamous) and most of my female friends sleep around with just about everyone. Especially with guys in bands. And bi girls.

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!