Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eurovision Song Contest

Is anyone watching? Thanks god the Salvation Army representing my great country is already out.

by Anonymousreply 8105/20/2013

Watching the live feed. I love this show!! It's in Malmo, Sweden. Denmark is the front runner for the win.

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

R1 is obviously not European. On one of the rare occasions when r1 is happy and positive he/she gets it wrong. You're meant to be nasty and bitchy about Eurovision!

I just put it on. France doesn't have a ballad this year?

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

Hey, the Finn lezzie song is on now. A song for same-sex marriage. Let's all vote for it!

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

I won't, R3. It's cheap, tacky, and political issues got nothing to do with Eurovision Song Contest. They only included the lesbian kiss because they know horny men all over Europe will masturbate to it and give them votes. Pathetic that they have to stoop so low.

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

Do straight men watch esc, R4?

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

What a load of bullshit. The point of that song is to protest the refusal of the Finnish parliament to pass same-sex marriage. It was hardly a "hot" kiss. And, you know, Europe also has lesbians and bisexual women.

What the fuck does "political issues got nothing to do with Eurovision Song Contest" mean?

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

Watching! Last year I had watched the Swedish finals and had correctly predicted Loreen would take it with Euphoria, and that she would take Eurovision as well. The Russian grannies were the public's choice though.

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

Holy!!!!!!! This Estonian is CUTE!!!

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

What's with the dress though? My girlfriend wears that to go to bed...

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

The one from Belarus should really be in Cannes

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

damn.. the male dancers for Belarus are hot as hell

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

The lady from Belarus scares me.

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

My vote goes for Birgit Õigemeel for now. She already won a national contest (the Estonian Pop Idol), she deserves it

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

Guy from Malta isn't too bad but he look like an idiot. Reminds me of that fairy tale winner from was it Finland?

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

Link?

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

Comments are in French though

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

Germany, though. Very creative.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

Russia might win. The song is very Eurovison (what if we all opened our arms, what is we all came together as one, what if we chose to bury our guns)

Yes you read correctly about coming together as one (we should, really)

Song should win because of the message it carries, considering the current context. Finland won't win I doubt it, too controversial and Eurovision don't like controversy.

Germany basically copied last year's winner. Holy... It's nearly the same chorus, only remixed. Amazing they got in.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

I think that link states that it's not available in my area, but thanks anyway, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

R13, I think about 90% of them have won their country's version of Pop Idol and the like.

R14, the Fairytale winner was from Norway, Alexander Rybak. He won in Russia when a gay pride had just been crushed there. Rybak said "Why did they spend all their energy stopping gays in Moscow when the biggest gay parade was here tonight?" Presumably r4 would have wanted Rybak banned from Eurovision.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

What is your area R19? Do you live in Europe or in Eurovision-territory? (Israel...?)

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

I like Denmark's song a lot. I think the Irish drummers should back all the entries, though. They aren't getting enough screen time.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

Armenia is 100% eyebrows

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

My personal favourtie is Estonia but don't think she'll win.

I'm predicting Russia so far.

Finland excellent controversy but because of it, won't win. Song will do well in Scandinavia.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

NY, R21

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013

I'm voting for Finland but my score sheet is currently tipping Moldova.

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013

Is it a 2 hour or 3 hour show?

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

Excellent Rybak story, thanks so much R20. And with that homophobic Russian the context that year... Wow. My brother has the biggest crush on Rybak.

In France they usually send a well-known singer who ends up last. They should treat the contest for what it is but are too elitist to care.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

Sverige!!!!

Wish I was in Malmö tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

Anouk has never been able to shed her Dutch accent when singing in English (which is all she does).

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

It's a loooooong show.... I'd say some 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

Oh they managed to get a real-live Vampyre for Romania!

Is this the second coming of Farinelli?

by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2013

Bonnie Tyler!!!!!

But... Why?

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2013

Worst outfits: Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 3405/18/2013

Hungarian hipster singer

by Anonymousreply 3505/18/2013

That band from Hungary was super nice! Would love it if they won.

They even said Tack so mycket that was so polite! I'm gonna look them up right now.

by Anonymousreply 3605/18/2013

We have a winner!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3705/18/2013

Yeah, that was actually a lovely song from Hungary. My gf's Hungarian so maybe I should vote for them. It's a tie between them and Finland so far. Shame we can't give 12 and 10 votes as well.

by Anonymousreply 3805/18/2013

Rumor has it Emmelie de Forest hired those drummers after seeing a gig with The Kills.

by Anonymousreply 3905/18/2013

I love those Greek men.

by Anonymousreply 4005/18/2013

R38, this isn't a lesbian contest! Otherwise Gillian Anderson would win in all categories.

My vote goes to Denmark, I liked Estonia, Russia and Hungary as well but there's no doubt in my mind - Denmark it is.

And I predicted Loreen last year from watching her in the Swedish finals.

by Anonymousreply 4105/18/2013

Yeah, but I also liked the Hungarian song. My vote will have to go to a Finno-Ugric language (not Estonia).

Hey, r40, I'm in Greece. Vote for us!

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2013

Hey, I just realised I can call and text as many times as I want! Only 60 cents plus VAT.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2013

Greece's votes are up for grabs this year because Cyprus, Albania and Bulgaria didn't get through to the second round, so my votes might actually count!

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2013

One word, bitches: CEZAR!!!!

The Romanian contestant really has it all: perfect eyeliner, Dracula costume, countertenor vocalization (let's call it that, shall we?) and pseudo-naked boy dancers. They needed to stop the contest and declare the winner right there.

But then we would have missed those kick-ass Greek participants, who really did bring it. Apparently the grandpa lead singer said they had no idea how they even made it into the final, and that "Everybody who voted for us must have been drunk". Which makes sense when the song is called "Alcohol is Free" (and that might be a valid tourism strategy to help Greece out of its crisis, come to think of it).

All the rest -- singing by numbers, sadly. Where are the days when the Russian contestant who looked like a Spinal Tap reject sang a "Lullaby for a Volcano"?

by Anonymousreply 4505/18/2013

R45, you are crazy, right? or Romanian. Their entry was entertaining to say the least, but Eurovision always favours conservative entries (and the what-was-it-called from Finland a while ago is the exception to the rule).

So here are my predictions and personal favourite:

1. Denmark 2. Russia 3. Estonia 4. Hungary

And why not Greece.

by Anonymousreply 4605/18/2013

France hasn't won since 1977.

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2013

"but Eurovision always favours conservative entries"

R46, two words - Dana International.

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2013

Which countries ALWAYS vote for each other?

by Anonymousreply 4905/18/2013

R49, it's all economic and commercial partnerships.

R48, nice comeback

Can't believe how many countries were paid for by Azerbaijan.

That Denmark is so cute... Hope she doesn't get a heart attack before this is over

by Anonymousreply 5005/18/2013

Greece/Cyprus always give each other 12. For other countries there are variables (e.g., as we saw, Sweden didn't give Denmark 12, Estonia didn' vote for Lithuania, Moldova didn't give Russia 12).

But, as we are hearing right now, Cyprus and Greece always give each other 12.

by Anonymousreply 5105/18/2013

I don't think it's economic/commercial necessarily. Countries that neighbour each other have similar musical traditions, they know each other's artists, may have the same language, are generally more familiar with each other. And, Eurovision's main voting bloc is more likely to be teen or tween girls than any other group.

I still don't get why this Danish song is meant to be so great though.

Do they sing/perform live?

by Anonymousreply 5205/18/2013

The winning song always fades into oblivion within 5 minutes of the end of the broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 5305/18/2013

Denmark won, Ukraine came second and handsome guy from Azerbaijan was the third. Good looking guys also get extra points in this gay oriented party. Azerbaijan had nice looking singer and look-a-like guy in a box dancing.

by Anonymousreply 5405/18/2013

Yes they sing live

by Anonymousreply 5505/18/2013

I watched it online for the first time and while I really enjoyed it, I'm just baffled as to how Denmark won...do the blandest songs usually win?

by Anonymousreply 5605/18/2013

It was just a very typical Eurovision song. It was nice, too, I really liked it but then I'm Eurovision-formatted.

I'm glad I didn't watch Finland live because I would have rooted for their Marry Me for sure.

There were a lot of nice entries this year, I'm glad the contest was taking place in Malmö - a good year all around!

by Anonymousreply 5705/18/2013

R56, Eurovision is famous for having crappy, pappy, risible songs. They were actually better than usual this year.

I know they're meant to sing live but all the vocal and musical performances were really good (I don't mean the quality of the song but of the performance) I just wondered if they can pre-record them. Your average mainstream pop/rock star couldn't sing that well live.

by Anonymousreply 5805/18/2013

I really like this.

by Anonymousreply 5905/18/2013

As a Dane, I wasn't impressed with Denmark's song, but I am glad it wasn't Ukraine or Azerbaijan, or worse Greece.

Malta's was adorable, Norway and the Netherlands put out great songs, France's was as good as anything Adele put out, and Ireland was fun and got robbed.

It was a great show, huge for Sweden, and the show looked fantastic from start to finish. Largest audience for a contest in the world, so suck it haters.

And Sweden made pro-gay comments over and over, nice digs to all the homophobes in the East...

by Anonymousreply 6005/18/2013

I think I just felt like Norway and Finland had far more memorable entries. I know that all of the songs are meant to be a generic as possible, but most of them exceeded that basic rule. The only song that made my ears bleed was the one from Spain,

by Anonymousreply 6105/18/2013

New Eurovision-trend is homophobia. The most overtly gay-friendly acts — Romania, Finland, Ireland — all got destroyed. Hot sluts with little talent — Ukraine, Norway — did great.

Good songs still can succeed: Denmark, Malta, Netherlands.

The Slavs like their homo a little more subtle with a good-looking guy but not too much camp, like Azerbaijan. The gays will be pushed out of this contest within 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 6205/18/2013

Homophobia isn't acceptable but neither is calling women "sluts".

by Anonymousreply 6305/18/2013

Azerbaijan was surprisingly good! I kinda liked it more than Denmark.. I must admit. It was more catchy, and the stage show was better. The guy sang better than Emmelie too. Then again.. the thought of ESC in Baku, Azerbaijan again makes me wanna puke... a gay hating nation like them, no thanks. So yeah, in the end I'm happy with Denmark winning, it was a nice song. But I'm also happy that Azerbaijan ended up in second with actually more 12 pointers than Denmark.

by Anonymousreply 6405/18/2013

R54, you got it wrong.. Azerbaijan came in second, while Ukraine ended up in third.

by Anonymousreply 6505/18/2013

R64 was clearly watching with his cock in his furiously thrusting hand.

by Anonymousreply 6605/18/2013

This was one of the weakest eurovison contests in recent years. Most of the songs sucked big time and they weren't even fun in a campy sort of way. The only two performers who stood out for me tonight were Margaret Berger from Norway and the cute italian guy. Oh, and the Belarus chick also had an enjoyable, so-bad-it's-good eurotrashy pop song.

And what the hell was with all those boring 90's style ballads?! I sure hope they're not making a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 6705/18/2013

R64, if you think that "political issues got nothing to do with Eurovision Song Contest" then why oppose Eurovision being held in Baku? After all, we shouldn't politicise it.

by Anonymousreply 6805/18/2013

I've listened to and watched this several times in a row, I feel like I'm going insane. It's so damn catchy. And the main guy singing is hot and his voice is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 6905/18/2013

If Greece had won what a political drama that would have been. Their economy would have complete gone to smithereens and they would claim that Germany would have to pay for them becuase of WWII.

by Anonymousreply 7005/19/2013

What a farce that was, slick show but the voting was too rushed, one hardly saw who got the lower votes .....

Azerbaijan was it for me this year, what stunning guys, and they made second .... the winner Denmark seemed weak, can't believe the cute Irish guy with the leather hunks came last! Several good ones like Hungary get lost in the middle, but Romania was different, and those Greek boys - it was all gayer than gay ! Bet theres lots of sore heads and other parts in Malmo this morning ....

by Anonymousreply 7105/19/2013

R69, you mean this guy? Because he's the main singer! He even gets a separate billing (Agathon Iakovides). If you're living in Eurovision territory, I hope you voted for us!

R70, we would have held an excellent Eurovision but I guess the alcohol wouldn't have been free.

by Anonymousreply 7205/19/2013

Who would pay for the show, r72 ?

by Anonymousreply 7305/19/2013

Azerbaijan is my OTP.. Farid and boxman. They were so cute. Oh, and I think the guy from Azerbaijan is gay.. I mean, it's obvious. And did you see how he hugged that guy in the green room? So not platonic.

by Anonymousreply 7405/19/2013

The gay vampire from Romania was the best.

by Anonymousreply 7505/19/2013

What a waste of (pretty impressive) range.

by Anonymousreply 7605/19/2013

Here you go R74

by Anonymousreply 7705/19/2013

Believe it or not, the country does have some money. I know it's hard to believe that from the media coverage abroad. We could stop state funding of political parties to around 20 million euros a year for a start, and sack public sector employees who are found to be corrupt, violate the regulations, break the law or are incompetent. And the European Broadcasting Union gives the host country a significant amount.

by Anonymousreply 7805/19/2013

Azerbaijan really was all about very hot and athletic singer with a good voice and the guy in the box. The woman entering at the end of the song was simply a front and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 7905/19/2013

I agree, the rest of the act was so gay, when the woman showed up I was just like WTF is this? I know she was supposed to be his love interest, but it wasn't necessary at all. It just looked weird and she was so out of place.

This is cute :)

by Anonymousreply 8005/19/2013

R76

Pretty impressive.

by Anonymousreply 8105/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.