Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WTF is going on in NYC? Gay man shot dead on Village street corner after gunman shouted homophobic slurs

from Towleroad

Tragic murder committed in the early hours of the day.

New York's CBS 2 reports:

A gunman used anti-gay slurs before he shot and killed a man in fashionable Greenwich Village early Saturday, police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Police were dispatched to the corner of 8th Street and Sixth Avenue just after midnight Saturday. They found the victim, an unidentified 32-year-old man, on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head, police said.

Kelly said the gunman was first urinated on the street outside a bar, then walked into the bar, according to an Associated Press report. The man proceeded to make anti-gay remarks to the bartender and show that he had a silver pistol in his holster, the wire service reported.

Kelly then said the gunman came up to the victim and his companion outside, asked if they were “gay wrestlers,” and shot the victim in the face, the wire service reported.

According to the NY Post, a suspect was apprehended shortly after the shooting: "The gunman ran five blocks before cops collared him at West Third Street and MacDougal Street."

original story at link

by Anonymousreply 14105/24/2013

There have been many gay bashings in the Village and near Madison Square Garden this year.

I wonder why these gay bashers come to NYC if they don't want to see gays.

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

They come for the gays, are you kidding? Its their sport, gay bashing, it makes them feel straight.

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

Do they still have "gay panic" as defense in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

[quote]Kelly said the gunman was first urinated on the street outside a bar

Someone urinated on the gunman? Maybe that's why he was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

Is this turning into a global thing? Homophobia has been on the rise here in Europe (France at least for 2013 and I daresay 2013, at least)

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

6th Avenue and 8th St fashionable?

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

[quote]The 32-year-old Brooklyn victim, whose name has not been released, was walking with a pal on Sixth Avenue near West Eighth Street about midnight when they were approached by three Hispanic males

OP's quote left out this part.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

I thought we had gun control here in the city. What a joke.

The reason why the black, hispanic and thugs hang around the area, is for easy cash. Most of the dudes have been in prison. They rob drunk white/asian gays as they leave the clubs, rob them when they are "picked up" or are paid very well by white/asian gays for their services. They have zero concern for gay people.

Most of the gays don't report the thefts because they are ashamed. I robbed a drunk young cute white guy from Ohio on 8th Ave. one night after he paid to blow me, but I felt really bad for him, so I returned his wallet to him the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

This gunman was practically arrested on Anderson Coopers doorstep.

I was out walking around Madison square area on my way uptown thinking about all the bashings recently at the exact same time this poor guy got shot.

I don't understand, where are the other two guys?

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

8th Street and 6th is not a fashionable corner. It is a busy corner with shops and restaurants.

Over the years, this area attracts a lot of young people from outside of Manhattan. For some rbeason they love to come to the bars in the area and they come to bash gays and rob people. Or sometimes, they just come to make trouble.

Greenwich Village has the biggest increase in crime rates compared to all other neighborhoods in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

Does the Post usually get this vocal about hate crimes against gays. I would have thought not, but I'm glad about the tone of the article.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

Is r10 a joke?

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

New York sounds like a scary place. I'm afraid I'll get killed if I visit.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

We're all over this, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

I try to avoid the Village. It is very rowdy and scary.

I also try to avoid Madison Square Garden. It attracts a sports loving crowd and you know they are full of gay bashers.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

The area around the Garden is full of thugs, beware.

And the Village has become a tourist spot for gaywatching women, later at night a hunting ground. I have always loved the city but you have to know the deal now.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

@20 is right.

@r16...why do you think r10 is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

[quote]I try to avoid the Village. It is very rowdy and scary.

When did this happen? I live on the west coast but I vacatoned in the West Village about 8 years ago. Was it considered rowdy and scary then?

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

But I thought NYC is the best and safest place in the world for gays to live???

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

And I was considering moving from Paris to NYC because of the homophobic attacks here...

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013

[quote]When did this happen? I live on the west coast but I vacatoned in the West Village about 8 years ago. Was it considered rowdy and scary then?

There are many parts of the village. The area around Sixth Avenue and Seventh Avenues south of Christopher have been rowdy for decades, but just away from the main streets it can be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

Some of those side streets north of Christopher and west of the West Side Highway are a bit creepy as well, and I don't think I'd feel safe walking them at night. Do all those homeless gay and trannie teens still hang out on Christopher near the path station at night?

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

6th Avenue @ W. 8th is the only place I've ever gotten beat up in my life. But it wasn't people on the street. My ex gave the employees at Crazy Eddie's the finger when we walked in at 9:03 one night and they told us they were closed.

Before I knew it, I was out on Sixth Avenue with my face on the sidewalk, with some goombah sitting on me. I didn't know what had happened until he let me up because one of his co-thugs screamed "Let him go. He didn't do it." And I got up and they were all over my ex.

I had to jump right back in. I screamed at them to stop kicking him and let him go, and for some reason, that's what they did. No one on the sidewalk did anything to help us, though. I gained a new appreciation for Kitty Genovese that night.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

[quote]If the gay man had a gun too, this would not have happened.

[quote]I thought we had gun control here in the city. What a joke.

Even in tragedy, true shitheads find it able to persevere!

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

[quote]Some of those side streets north of Christopher and west of the West Side Highway are a bit creepy...

There are no streets west of the West Side Highway, just the Hudson river, but I get what you mean.

Black and Hispanic young people flock to the West Village. First the gays and trannies, because they think it's fashionable to parade around someplace other than public housing and the ghetto, and secondarily for the ability to "be themselves" outside of their homophobic enclaves. I don't buy the second part at all. These kids don't strike me as unable to defend themselves, and they aren't exactly able to tone it down and act closeted, that's just an excuse.

Still, they attract real "down low" characters who want to meet them, and then this attracts thugs, and criminals looking for trouble and mayhem. It's really scary on weekend nights sometimes.

The Jersey element likes to drive around (five to a car) and yell "Faggots!" out of their windows and throw eggs. Oh, those rascally kids! I do hope more get taken down by gays fighting back. Still, its of crazy people own guns legally, but I highly doubt this was the case here.

It's still a very safe city on the larger level, statistics don't lie.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

[quote]Even in tragedy, true shitheads find it able to persevere!

Is it different this time because the tragedy happened to a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2013

@22, it's not that scary. People are exaggerating a little. However, a lot of latinos and blacks from the other boroughs do come to the area to make money.

by Anonymousreply 3405/18/2013

[quote]latinos and blacks from the other boroughs do come to the area to make money

White people only make money in thier own neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 3505/18/2013

@25, NYC is a great city for gays. Don't be fooled by some of the posters on here.

by Anonymousreply 3605/18/2013

[quote]There are no streets west of the West Side Highway, just the Hudson river, but I get what you mean.

There is no West Side Highway either.

by Anonymousreply 3705/18/2013

My boyfriend and I got harassed by some crazy homeless dude on the train the other night and I had as we walked home all these stories from as of late were rolling around in my head and it was the first time I've really ever felt uncomfortable in this city, and I've lived here for fifteen years. And that was before this new horror happened - I work a few blocks from this spot in the Village and walk by it almost every day. Is anybody doing anything about this? Are we making our voice heard? Or is GLAAD too busy throwing dinner parties for Bill Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 3805/18/2013

@35, well white people too. I was really talking the hustlers from the Bronx and Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 3905/18/2013

[quote]There is no West Side Highway either.

Oh, ok, Rte. 9, aka the Henry Hudson Parkway- which all 8 million NYC residents and many signs and maps refer to as "The West Side Highway".

There are STILL no side streets west of it.

Feel better, Mary?

by Anonymousreply 4005/18/2013

I thought you guys were nostalgic for a scary, perilous Manhatten, where danger lurked everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4105/18/2013

this is why Blanche DuBois joked on a GG episode: I'm going to New York. I hope I don't get killed.

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2013

No, R40. You still have it wrong. It is West St. which is known to New Yorkers as West. St. The Henry Hudson Parkway begins at 72nd St.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2013

@R40, what are you talking about?

@41 Exactly. I thought we "missed" the days of sex on every corner and crime, before Guliani came along.

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2013

The police has beefed up its presence, but I still don't think that's enough. The police are cracking down on drug dealing big time, but I wish they would also reduce the large rowdy crowds.

I get really scared walking on Christopher Street late in the evening. A friend likes to have dinner at a place on Christopher and Washington Street. After dinner, I catch the subway at 7th Avenue and it feels creepy walking there late at night. It used to be busy with gay men, but now it is all these weird young gay/trans crowd and they are rowdy. The bars also cater to these type of gays.

I don't feel I belong nor do I feel safe in the Village.

Hell's Kitchen feels safer and gayer.

by Anonymousreply 4505/18/2013

[quote] This would never happen in Chicago

you're right. The victim would have been a child, not a gay man

Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 4605/18/2013

Is Hells Kitchen safe to live at? Thinking of moving there but the area around 8th Avenue looks like a sewer.

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2013

A lot of my friends are posting about it on Facebook and about how ANGRY they are and how they won't let it happen again, etc, etc and it all seems rather well intentioned bull shit. It will happen again and again and again. Just hope it's not you.

by Anonymousreply 4905/18/2013

Pictures of the guy who got executed...

by Anonymousreply 5005/18/2013

I always felt safe in London being gay. NYC? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5105/18/2013

[quote]I don't feel I belong nor do I feel safe in the Village. Hell's Kitchen feels safer and gayer.

by Anonymousreply 5205/18/2013

Sort of makes sense. The more gay rights advance the more of an immediate short term backlash we'll experience. They know they're losing and dying out so they make one last desperate attempt to "defend" themselves.

Lol at some of the gay saying they want to fight back. Some of the one I know posting that live in gay ghettoes, only go to gay bars, gay restaurants, gay vacations, gay beaches, gay friends, and then they complain abut how close minded everyone else is.

by Anonymousreply 5305/18/2013

You're an asshole, r50, but sadly, here on RacistLounge, you're probably right.

by Anonymousreply 5505/18/2013

The Mayor is more worried the victim had a Big Gulp.

by Anonymousreply 5605/18/2013

Gay bashing: It's not just for flyovers!

by Anonymousreply 5705/18/2013

Wow, NYC sounds like a scary & violent place! NO THANKS.

by Anonymousreply 5805/18/2013

We New Yorkers are a tough breed, stronger than most, and we will perservere and get through this eventually. We weather storms...that is what we do.

by Anonymousreply 5905/18/2013

NYC sounds like a dangerous place to be a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 6005/18/2013

Oh, puke, r59. This New Yorker kinda hopes you're next.

by Anonymousreply 6105/18/2013

Heterosexuals and troublemaking/ violence go hand-in-hand. Heterosexuals have gone into gay communities/ gay establishments for decades looking to attack gay people. Yet we still have gay people who can't say the word HETEROSEXUAL when describing these attackers/ killers. There is a deep fear among gay people in confronting heterosexuals and their ceaseless hostility toward gay people. And it's not isolated to individual heterosexuals. These heterosexuals that attack gay people are the physical manifestation of the hostility heterosexuals have for gay people. It's a heterosexual problem.

by Anonymousreply 6305/18/2013

R64 I knew when I wrote that post someone like you would post a reply just like that. It's called reality. Gay people can't come to grips that this killing is the manifestation of hostility from heterosexuals toward gay people. It's not an individual act. It's an individual doing the act of the group.

by Anonymousreply 6505/18/2013

The shooter sounds like he was mentally ill. He took a piss right outside an upscale restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 6605/18/2013

Op here, I didn't leave out the part identifying the men as hispanic purposely. I saw the story on Towleroad and copied their account for the short message. I then linked the original story source from that blog. I assumed most people would read the original source and get all the information.

Really no intention to "hide' any information.

by Anonymousreply 6705/18/2013

OP you do realize that L&O: Special Victims Unit is a fictional TV show.

No one gives a shit about us.

by Anonymousreply 6805/18/2013

[quote] Gay people can't come to grips that this killing is the manifestation of hostility from heterosexuals toward gay people.

If you read the story (the shooter claimed to be "wanted" for the Sandy Hook killings) and look at the Daily News photos of the shooter, it seems to be a manifestation of mental illness more than anything else. And in many other cases of gay bashing, it's a manifestation of self-loathing by a closed homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 6905/18/2013

[quote]I wonder why these gay bashers come to NYC if they don't want to see gays.

Yes, they couldn't possibly be natives, could they? NYC is only populated by lovely, pure-hearted people who would never do something like this, right?

by Anonymousreply 7005/19/2013

How much you want to bet these bashers live in Manhattan?

Even for people who live in the larger NYC, the "city" means Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 7105/19/2013

R69 No, it's heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 7205/19/2013

Damn. He shot him in the face. WTF? And since NY doesn't have the death penalty, he will enjoy life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 7305/19/2013

May 5: Four men allegedly shouted anti-gay slurs as they attacked Nick Porto and Kevin Atkins near Madison Square Garden.

May 7: A man was assaulted in Union Square by another man who allegedly used anti-gay slurs.

May 8: Two men reportedly shouted anti-gay slurs as they attacked a man who was leaving Pieces bar on Christopher Street

May 9: Two gay men were attacked by a group of other men allegedly shouting anti-gay slurs near the 33rd Street PATH Station. Port Authority police officers quickly arrested two of the suspected perpetrators.

May 17: A gay man was shot to death by another man who allegedly assailed the victim and another gay man with homophobic slurs and chased them out of a pizzeria on Sixth Avenue in Greenwich Village before the shooting.

by Anonymousreply 7405/19/2013

I don't know but do you think this has anything to do with the weather? It's getting warmer out, all the crazies are coming out after the winter hibernation.

I know that area, there is a path train station (linking to NJ) and also subway station nearby, meaning lots of people from outta town/hood disembark or gather at that corner. Lots of shady people around. During spring and summer time, there is a group of motorbikers who hang out there and fecking "zoom" and make lots of noise. I lived 3 blocks away for over a decade and never had any trouble. Am sad to hear about this.

I also used to jog in Washington Sq Park in the mornings and had to dodge rats running across my feet. yeah, it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 7505/19/2013

Well it's a huge city. It wouldn't have to have an incredible crime rate per-capita, to have an incredibly high crime rate total. It'd be interesting if there's less targeting of other minorities, though.

by Anonymousreply 7605/19/2013

the good thing is that it's an election year and Bloomberg wants to leave on a high note and Quinn wants to look like a public safety leader so they'll likely start directing resources (extra police, surveillance, etc) to try to stop stuff like this from happening again. it is truly fucked up that in the city where marriage equality reigns, we are rolling back the hands of time to when we were not safe.

by Anonymousreply 7705/19/2013

How can we find a way to blame this on the blacks?

by Anonymousreply 7905/19/2013

Homophobes are losing and they are lashing out. Gay men everywhere need to be careful. Can't let our guard down now.

This goes for the lesbian sisters too.

by Anonymousreply 8005/19/2013

r37, The West Side Highway (officially the Joe DiMaggio Highway) is New York State Route 9A that runs from West 72nd Street along the Hudson River to the southern tip of Manhattan. It replaced the West Side Elevated Highway, built between 1929 and 1951, which was shut down in 1973 due to neglect and lack of maintenance, and was dismantled by 1989.

r40 is correct. North of 72nd, 9A is the Henry Hudson Parkway.

by Anonymousreply 8105/19/2013

In times of great change - when a disenfranchised party gains rights - is exactly when prejudice and bigotry steps up and becomes worse. There have been numerous scientific studies on this. I hate to be a Pollyanna about these terrible attacks, but increased anti-gay violence means that real change towards equality is actually taking place at a societal level.

by Anonymousreply 8205/19/2013

On a related note to the whole West Side Highway kerfuffle, has everyone just given up on Avenue of the Americas now?

by Anonymousreply 8305/19/2013

Sixth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 8405/19/2013

TV report said Marc Carson's killer lives in the East Village.

by Anonymousreply 8505/19/2013

r79, blacks are off the hook this time. Killer is Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 8605/19/2013

R80 Why all the attacks have been against GAY MEN? Lesbians are not looked at with the same disgust and hatred that gay men are. In fact a lot of male homophobes LOVE watching lesbian sex.

The sad but honest truth.

by Anonymousreply 8705/19/2013

Fuck you, R54!

by Anonymousreply 8805/19/2013

Dear R87, when I realised that the Dutch guy who got kicked in the face in Paris (this was a few weeks ago) was coming back from an evening at MY BEST FRIEND's house (my best male friend, that is), I was scared.

Not sure I want to know what the attackers might have done if it had been me and my girlfriend leaving his house that night. Don't think we'd have enjoyed it.

Don't worry, lesbians get all sorts of attacks plenty as well.

Link below

by Anonymousreply 8905/19/2013

Testosterone kills.

by Anonymousreply 9005/19/2013

r54, you are really sad. If your post was meant to inspire humour, you failed miserably.

Just a sad human being.

WTF is up w/ this world? We've been brainwashed. People only care about Courtney Stoddard's sex tape. All the while our rights are being trampled and our money gobbled up by the most greedy of us.

"In Time" sucked pud (save for the JT shirtless scenes) but our society today is really no different.

And the masses ACCEPT IT.

The Indian fuckhead who lives in a 27 story mansion overlooking the Central Park of GHETTOS.

And gay men are being attacked in all cities and it's more of a dissection of the victim or a glorification of the crazed killer (think Aurora killer with the red hair, this douche with his tongue stuck out for the cameras).

by Anonymousreply 9205/19/2013

r91, you are a sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 9305/19/2013

Or, R63, the killer is a repressed homosexual who hates himself.

by Anonymousreply 9405/19/2013

It's the West Side Highway, it's the Triborough Bridge and it's the Queensborough/59th St Bridge. Joe DiMaggio, Ed Koch and RFK can go jump in the river. The East or the Hudson.

BTW, Christine Wuinn was big in changing the names of the bridges and highways after celebrities and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 9505/19/2013

R49, femme women in a lesbian porn scene targeted to straight male viewers don't threaten traditional male concepts of "masculinity" (strong, dominant, a top, desirable despite lack of physical beauty/decent grooming/etc.) vs. "femininity" (inferior, weak, vulnerable, decorative, deferential, a bottom/receptacle). The two gay groups that inspire fear of becoming that inferior creature - or fear of women usurping the masculine sphere - namely butch women and effeminate men, are the groups most likely to be the targets of the disgust & hatred.

by Anonymousreply 9605/19/2013

Odd - I'm no bigot and did NOT use the f-epithet in the above post, only the adjective beginning with an "e" used to describe stereotypically feminine-acting men. Is that not allowed in a discussion?

by Anonymousreply 9705/19/2013

R97 U can't type the word that sounds like FMN8.

by Anonymousreply 9805/19/2013

r97, we had a troll (or more) a while back who would complain about that particular type of gay man in every thread, so it was banned.

by Anonymousreply 9905/19/2013

Armed Gays don't get bashed! Get training; buy a gun; get a Concealed Handgun Permit; Carry it with you when you go out.

by Anonymousreply 10005/19/2013

So if someone follows you around and hurls homophobic slurs at you and then shoot you in the head, you won't consider it a gay bashing?

by Anonymousreply 10205/19/2013

Thank you for the explanation!

by Anonymousreply 10305/19/2013

Mark Carson did not hide that he was gay, and when he went out on the town he would often head to Greenwich Village, where much of the struggle for gay liberation unfolded, years before he was born.

Yet late Friday night, just blocks from the Stonewall Inn, among the most important landmarks of that struggle, he was confronted with a man screaming antigay slurs, who then stalked him before pulling out a silver revolver and fatally shooting him, the police said.

On Sunday, the suspect, identified as Elliot Morales, 33, was charged with murder, an act qualified as a hate crime. He was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon and was ordered to be held without bail.

At a news conference on Saturday, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly described a chaotic scene that involved a man seemingly out looking for trouble when he crossed paths with Mr. Carson and ended up shooting him in the face. The violence was quickly followed by a police chase and an arrest on the corner of West Third and Macdougal Streets as scores of bar hoppers looked on in shock.

“This clearly looks to be a hate crime,” Mr. Kelly said, noting that there had been a rise in bias-related crimes in New York City this year — 22 compared with 13 during the same period last year. In just the past three weeks, there have been five attacks directed at gay men, including a vicious assault on a gay couple outside Madison Square Garden on May 5.

Timothy Lunceford, 56, who has lived in the West Village for 35 years, said he believed the killing was a brazen display of a kind of intolerance he had not known in New York for decades. “It’s outrageous,” he said. “They say we’ve worked through homophobia, but it’s not gone away. It’s just not usually as out there in the open like it was this morning.”

Mr. Carson, who was 32, had recently moved to Brooklyn from Harlem after scrimping and saving money from his job at a yogurt shop in Midtown, according to Kay Allen, a friend for more than a decade.

“He was a proud gay man,” Ms. Allen said. “A fabulous gay man.” She noted that he loved going to the Village.

“His spirit was too big for this city,” she said. “He didn’t have a negative bone in his body.”

Elected officials and other civic leaders were quick to condemn the killing.

“There was a time in New York City when two people of the same gender could not walk down the street arm-in-arm without fear of violence and harassment,” said Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker, whose district includes the Village and who hopes to become the city’s first openly gay mayor. “We refuse to go back to that time.”

According to Mr. Kelly, the gunman was in the neighborhood with two other men shortly before midnight when he urinated in front of the Annisa bar and restaurant on Barrow Street at West Fourth Street.

The man then went inside and angrily confronted the bartender with antigay slurs, the police said, pulling up his gray hooded sweatshirt, and revealing a silver revolver in a shoulder holster. He threatened the bartender that if he called the police, he would be killed, the police said.

The man and two companions then headed south on the Avenue of the Americas and ran into Mr. Carson and another man at West Eighth Street, the police said. A confrontation ensued.

“There were no words that would aggravate the situation spoken by the victims here,” Mr. Kelly said. According to the police, the gunman once again used antigay slurs, and at one point asked, “What are you, a gay wrestler?”

Raquan Johnson, 22, was in a pizza shop on the Avenue of the Americas and watched as the argument escalated.

He said that Mr. Carson’s friend shouted back at the gunman: “Oh yeah? Well, what do you look like?”

After a few minutes, Mr. Carson and his friend continued on their way, assuming the exchange was over. The two men walked along West Eighth Street, but the gunman apparently did not want to let the matter drop. One of the gunman’s companions tried to talk him out of following Mr. Carson, according to the police. That companion left, the police said.

The gunman caught up with Mr. Carson outside of a building at 60 West Eighth Street, and began shouting at him. “Do you want to die here?” he asked Mr. Carson, according to Mr. Kelly, before pulling out the revolver and shooting Mr. Carson once in the cheek.

“I didn’t think nothing of it, it was just an argument,” Mr. Johnson said. “Then a minute later I hear boom! I ran to the corner and I see him lying there dead.”

Mr. Carson was taken to Beth Israel Medical Center and pronounced dead on arrival.

After shooting Mr. Carson, the gunman fled, trying to disappear in the crowds that filled the streets. A police cruiser on a nearby corner took off in pursuit and a call went out over the police radio describing the gunman.

Police Officer Henry Huot, who was on foot patrol, chased Mr. Morales and arrested him. Mr. Morales was carrying a silver Taurus .38-caliber, six-shot revolver that was used in the killing, the police said.

Gary Rookard, 54, a shop clerk on West Third Street near Macdougal, said the streets were flooded with uniformed officers.

“It was pretty hairy,” he said. “The cops were all bunched up and they were running, and there were a lot of people looking. There was a lot of confusion.”

Mr. Rookard said that despite the neighborhood’s hefty real estate prices and fancy boutiques, a rough element still descends on the weekends.

“We get a lot of fistfights, we get brawls in the street,” he said. “But hardly ever shootings.”

Mr. Morales, whose last known address was on Avenue D in the East Village, served more than 10 years in prison for robbery, according to state correction records.

He was carrying a fake ID at the time of his arrest and for hours refused to answer any questions. He was finally identified through facial recognition technology, the police said.

On Avenue D on Saturday night, Edith Gutierrez, Mr. Morales’s sister, said she had not seen him for months but she thought he had “accepted his time and moved on.”

Ms. Gutierrez said she found it difficult to believe that her brother would kill anyone. “He’s a good kid,” she said, adding: “We’re not prejudiced.”

A few hours earlier, relatives and friends of Mr. Carson gathered at his mother’s Harlem apartment, saying they wished to mourn in private.

At an improvised sidewalk memorial at the scene of the shooting, Takis Kouvatseas, 47, lit two white candles behind a bouquet of lilacs. “Somebody took his life because he’s himself,” he said.

Michael Schwirtz, Colin Moynihan and Nate Schweber contributed reporting.

by Anonymousreply 10505/19/2013

How many F&F's is one allowed per day on this forum? I almost never F&F but just used one.

by Anonymousreply 10805/19/2013

R87, google and you can see that our lesbian sisters have also been attack horribly. No group has it easer and to say that only serves to devide. It's not a race to the bottom.

Gay men need to watch out but so do our female gay population. Nothing angers bigot Straight men more then women who doesnt want their cock.

It's on par to hate or belittle the lesbians here (real DLers and actresses) but in real life, we can't be putting up a divide when you have psychos running around.

by Anonymousreply 10905/19/2013

* ugh, my writing (r109). Sorry.

Hope you got the gist of it.

by Anonymousreply 11005/19/2013

R106, what is your address? id like to pay you a visit.

by Anonymousreply 11105/20/2013

Shitting through your mouth is not the same as theorizing r112

by Anonymousreply 11305/20/2013

Reply 64

by Anonymousreply 11405/20/2013

So many special snowflakes on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11605/20/2013

R116 Huh?

by Anonymousreply 11705/20/2013

The shooter doesn't look hispanic. He looks retarded.

by Anonymousreply 11905/20/2013

[quote]a tourist spot for gaywatching women

what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 12005/20/2013

[quote] It is West St. which is known to New Yorkers as West. St.

When my partner first arrived here from overseas, he needed to find an address on West Street, and he was told by numerous residents that there was no such place. Everyone referred to it as the West Side Highway.

by Anonymousreply 12105/20/2013

[quote]NYC is a cesspool of the sickest human swill on Earth, mmmmm OK? It's a dirty, stinky place and the tap water is laced with human waste. Most of the populous has some sort of mental illness.

Travis Bickle posts on Datalounge? Not that I'm entirely surprised.

by Anonymousreply 12205/20/2013

[quote]No, it's not *all* black people but why is it there are so many in any urban area that are sociopaths?

Why is it that a thread about a gay black man getting shot by a non-black person while walking down the street minding his own business leads you down this train of thought about black sociopaths?

Oh, right, you're a racist idiot.

by Anonymousreply 12305/20/2013

This thread is vile.

by Anonymousreply 12405/20/2013

Michelangelo Signorile

Equality's Brutal Backlash: The Murder of Mark Carson and the Rise in Violence Against Gays

A few months ago, I wrote about how my partner and I were called "disgusting" by a man on the street as we shared a quick goodbye kiss in the middle of the afternoon in the very gay Manhattan neighborhood of Chelsea. That has turned out to be less an aberration than a symptom of far more horrific things to come. We've seen reports of violent attack after violent attack in New York against gays in recent weeks, and now, this past weekend, we've experienced the brutal killing of 32-year-old Mark Carson in an alleged anti-gay shooting in Greenwich Village.

"You want to die tonight?" the alleged gunman reportedly said after repeatedly calling Carson and a male companion "faggots" while they were walking down the street, before fatally shooting Carson in the face.

This killing has kept me up the past two nights. It's sickening and enraging. And perhaps the shock I'm seeing expressed about it, particularly among younger LGBT people, underscores that many of us have been living with a false sense of security, intoxicated by the wins on marriage equality in the states and in the federal courts. It's way too easy to grow complacent, fed by the desire to have the fight done with as well as by the seductive message of some in the media who've simplistically declared victory for the LGBT rights movement.

Victory is very far off, however, if we can't walk the streets of even the most LGBT-friendly cities holding hands or expressing ourselves without fear of being taunted and violently assaulted. And for hundreds of thousands living in less tolerant places all across the country, openness has never been a reality. Until it is, we're nowhere near victory.

We may be seeing solid majorities in national polls supporting anti-discrimination laws for gay and transgender people, and even majorities supporting marriage equality. But the minorities are still substantial. And they are getting more desperate. For years, those who are anti-gay have been emboldened by the often hateful declarations of homophobic religious leaders and by the attacks by groups like the National Organization for Marriage, which have demeaned gays. After decades of struggle, we're finally beating them back in the courts, in legislatures and even at the ballot box. And perhaps the frustration and anger by those who oppose us is now further empowering the thugs who take their hate and rage to the streets.

It shouldn't come as a surprise then that in New York City, in a state that passed marriage equality in 2011, hate crimes against LGBT people so far in 2013 are almost double what were at this point in 2012. And 2012 itself was a notable year nationally, with outbreak of anti-LGBT violence in some of the country's most gay-friendly cities, like New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Dallas and Atlanta. 2011 saw the highest number of anti-LGBT murders ever reported, with transgender people the hardest-hit victims. At least 13 transgender Americans were reported to have been murdered in 2012 alone.

We sometimes forget that getting laws passed and getting court rulings declared is, comparatively, the easy part -- as monumentally difficult as that has been and continues to be. One reason we in fact get the laws passed, in addition to protecting ourselves, is to change attitudes for future generations. But that part doesn't happen overnight and surely not without a backlash, which can sometimes be violent, as it has been in just about every other movement for equality. The hate is still out there and the haters are getting more desperate. Our worst enemies right now are complacency and the seductive message that we've "arrived."

by Anonymousreply 12505/20/2013

[quote] Most of the populous has some sort of mental illness.

And, yet, they can spell. Aren't GEDs available in whatever Midwestern two-horse town you're hailing from?

by Anonymousreply 12705/20/2013

To our elected leaders:

Mark Carson didn't do anything wrong. He didn't break any laws, start any fights, or harm anyone. He was simply open about who he was. And for that, he was shot and killed.

Horror and outrage don't fully capture what we're feeling right now. Every LGBT person and ally who heard about this murder had an even deeper reaction: That could have been me, or someone I love.

Imagine growing up knowing that your life could be over in an instant. That walking down the sidewalk on an ordinary Friday night, you or your friend could be alive one minute and gone the next. That's the reality. And if it can happen in 2013 in New York City, it can happen anytime, anywhere.

But the real question is what we – you, me, all Americans – are going to do about it.

The answer is that we must not be silent. You pledged to uphold liberty and justice for all, and today I urge you to make those words a reality.

Discrimination remains embedded in this nation's laws. And as long as it trickles down into our schools and our communities, your constituents will continue to suffer from these crimes and the terror they instill. We all have a duty to stand up, ordinary citizens and elected officials alike. Passive support isn't enough.

The next Mark Carson is out there right now, running out of time. We cannot, must not stop until our nation's laws – at every level – treat all Americans equally, in every aspect of life, with the dignity we all deserve.

We'll do our part. But we need you to do yours.

by Anonymousreply 12805/20/2013

har har har r5 , not funny

by Anonymousreply 12905/20/2013

Unfortunately, violence is always a cross that our community will have to bear.

Multiple reasons for rise in homophobic violence.

1. Gay progress - states/countries approving gay marriage leads to backlash. As gays become more equal, people feel they're losing their privilege and that infuriates them. Increased media exposure and the normalization of gays on TV also causes backlash.

2. Economic woes - people doing bad get angry and frustrated and look for outlets to take out that anger and frustration. Gays are a natural target.

3. Then there are simply who are simply unstable and gays get bashed for reasons they've always gotten bashed.

Important to be hyper vigilant and aware of your surroundings, take precautions. Even them, there's no guarantee of escaping some random attack, but at least maybe there will be less victims overall.

by Anonymousreply 13005/20/2013

The most dangerous group of people in the US are not permanent residents from other countries, black men or southern rednecks in a pickup truck. The most dangerous group is young white men between the ages of 18-30 who frequent sporting events and drink until they become violent, obnoxious and dangerous. I have been ridiculed and bothered and harassed to the point I will not go to a sporting event anywhere near NYC. These meatheads curse profusely in front of little children and women with no regard of anyone around them. They obviously pre-game in the parking lots and continue to drink and piss the entire event. When I speak up and ask them to tone it down, it becomes an absolute nightmare for me. I've had beer thrown at me, been called a faggot and pussy and been pushed down several times. I've decided to save my $ since the arenas and stadiums are only interested in selling as much beer as they can and not protecting the people who are there to enjoy a game.

by Anonymousreply 13105/21/2013

Fair enough, R67. But then the question is why did Towleroad try to hide the fact the thugs were Hispanic?

by Anonymousreply 13205/21/2013

Good lord, r132, is that really the most important takeaway from this story? That a blogger omitted the information that perp was Hispanic? (Which I'm guessing probably happened because the first, early report he linked to did not identify the shooter's ethnicity) I mean, who cares??

by Anonymousreply 13305/21/2013

Well if the guys have not been caught I'd think people would like to know what they look like in order to know who to watch out for.

by Anonymousreply 13405/21/2013

Yeah, but the guy WAS caught, and Towleroad is not America's Most Wanted--if the guy had remained on the loose, I'm sure plenty of news sources would have disseminated the info that he was Hispanic (as plenty did, anyway). The fact that one freaking blogger happened to omit this info for whatever reason hardly strikes me as a huge public disservice.

by Anonymousreply 13505/21/2013

But, but, was he old and ugly and fat?

by Anonymousreply 13605/21/2013

item about the alleged shooter May 23

A Manhattan Criminal Court Grand Jury indicted Elliot Morales, accused of shooting and killing a gay man in the West Village last weekend for a hate crime murder.

The New York Daily News reports that although Morales, who is being held without bail in Riker’s Island, did not appear in court today, his defense attorney, Kevin Michael Canfield says that his client is not guilty and is "devastated by the charges."

Morales was arrested shortly after the incident that left 32 year old Mark Carson fatally wounded and charged with second degree murder as a hate crime.

"He didn’t murder anybody," attorney Canfield said to the Daily News adding ""He was sexually abused as a child by a male authority figure which led to a lifetime of alcoholism and drug abuse,"

Family members of the victim were present in court today but did not speak with the press.

by Anonymousreply 13705/24/2013

Remember this story next time y'all demonize the south.

by Anonymousreply 13805/24/2013

r129, did you not read the original wording?

by Anonymousreply 13905/24/2013

Chelsea is safer, right?

by Anonymousreply 14005/24/2013

Was Morales in this country legally? I ask because another Latino illegal alien shot and killed an indie actress in NYC a few years ago.

And it's another reason I'm NOT FOR this immigration deal whatsoever. They have BAGGAGE.

by Anonymousreply 14105/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!