Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How is it possible for Iron Man 3 to gross more than the Dark Knight?

Iron Man 3 was NOT better than the Dark Knight. I get more and more tired of seeing Robert Downey Junior's performances. What he's doing is NOT called acting, it is merely reciting lines. Anyway, I'm just really surprised that this film was able to gross more than the Dark Knight which was a masterpiece. What is it about Iron Man 3 that is better than the Dark Knight. I mean there [italic]must[/italic] be something.

by Anonymousreply 4403/24/2014

Higher ticket prices, and more 3D and IMAX showings?

by Anonymousreply 105/18/2013

OP... it's funnier. The Dark Knight was oppressively serious and even depressing (and each movie in the series, more-so). Iron Man, for all its many flaws, is FUN.

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2013

I don't understand why people get so wound up in the financial success of products that will not put money in their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

In other words Dark Knight turns off some stupid people, r2.

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

I'm another Iron Man fan. It's funnier than most comedies, and I don't always like downbeat movies ie Dark Night 3. I also find it ironically very creative. Still laughing at Iron Man 1 bad guy escaping on a Sedgeway.(sp) I think a better actress should have played Gynneth's role but at least RDJ doesn't always screw up the comedic lines. Usually the supporting male characters in Iron Man are the best actors.

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

The Dark Knight feels like it should be DEEP but in the end........it ain't DEEP, it's DEPRESSING.

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

Does it really have to be said that how much a movie grosses has nothing to do with how good it is?

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

People will take kids to see the Iron Man franchise, not so much the Dark Knight. DK is perfect for those emo teens.

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

Simple. Would you rather watch a genius billionaire playboy who drinks a lot and cracks jokes. Or would you rather watch a brooding billionaire genius with unresolved parent issues?

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

The Iron Man movies suck!

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

Some ditz who thinks all movies should be "fun" and happy has invaded DL today.

After 10 posts, we're sick of you.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

The Iron Man movies are better because they don't have Heath Ledger in them. Heath Ledger sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

Um, cupcake? Try comparing DOMESTIC numbers. IM3 has grossed $311 million to date. TDK grossed $535 million. Not even close, nor will IM3 come close to beating it.

The reason *worldwide* grosses are higher is simply because IM3 is much more widely distributed internationally than TDK was, particularly in China (IM3 was financed in part by Shanghai investors).

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

I don't think ALL movies should be fun, but a superhero movie?A superhero movie should not be all deep, dark, and depressing. And while he may have an ego the size of Texas, RDJ actually is a better actor than anyone who appeared in Dark Knight.

Of course, those are matters of opinion, and I'm sure some disagree, but not enough, apparently to give DK the edge at the box office. As others have pointed out, though box office receipts are no proof of quality, so might as well just enjoy what you enjoy and not worry about how it did at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

Surprised at how seriously, openly gay RDJ is coming off in IM3. I guess it fits into the camp superhero tradition. Ending up being mounted by big boy Favreau, etc. I downloaded a torrent but I'm already bored at midway point. lol at how they can't give the Mandarin a middle Eastern accent, so he talks like a used car salesman

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

R11, Definitely don't think that all movies should be "fun and happy." Better if they were like DL and made fun of the ridiculous "truths" of our modern world. DK3 is too close to "real life negativity and fear," on a day when you might need a little escapism, Put it this way, which movie would make you in the mood to want to have a fab fuck afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

RDJ sucks more and denies being bi. He's a loser.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

r16, I don't think of movies as "fab fuck" preludes.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

R16, You may not think of movies as "fab fuck" preludes, or as desirable "mood changers" or even "fantasy stimulators." However I guarantee you that many that are willing to pay for flicks want to leave their problems behind for a couple of hours and disappear into an imaginary world.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

The Dark Knight was a bad movie with too much hype.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

Iron Man also has the entire "Marvel Universe" thing around it. That bumps the interest for all the films, which may not have had as much interest individually.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

the dark knight movies were oppressive, mopey, dull, dingy, boring. they lucked out casting Heath Ledger in the second one, he was amazing, and added some much needed psychopathic levity. the iron man movies are just some fun popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

I disliked the Dark knight movies too. The were even worse than the Superman movies. As someone who has read comics from age 4 till my late teens, I found the x-men and iron man movies the most fun. I hate it when directors take the "comic" out of the comic superheroes and treat them too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

r1 and the poster who mentioned China are right.

The other reason is simple: better writing and casting.

The dialogue between the characters is much better than TDK.

The chemistry of the cast is better, too. Nolan is a hack who wants to deliver for the studio, so he compromises on his actors.

I'd rather have someone a little more difficult/diva-ish like RDJ, than a boring Christian Bale.

The dialogue and cast bring girlfriends, parents and others who might not like superhero movies along for the ride with the die-hards.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

[quote]lol at how they can't give the Mandarin a middle Eastern accent, so he talks like a used car salesman

If you watched the *whole* film, you'd know that he speaks with an American accent on purpose. (You'd also know that he's faking it, to reveal a tiny plot point.)

[quote]Surprised at how seriously, openly gay RDJ is coming off in IM3.

Yeah, all that stuff about Tony nearly sacrificing his own life multiple times to save Pepper Potts was TOTALLY gay!

by Anonymousreply 2505/19/2013

Thanks, R25. It's such tripe I'll have to make it to the end some day. And, R25, thanks for correcting me. Watching RDJ stick his butt out like he's asking for it to be fucked while he prances around Stark Manor, then getting mounted by John Favreau, then make romantic small talk with a male computer voice, etc, distracted me from the critical plot points of Iron Man saving his girl. Because that's real life.

by Anonymousreply 2605/19/2013

You had to ask? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2705/19/2013

The Dark Knight wasn't released in 3D. Tickets for 3D movies are more expensive. There is no mystery here. It's a question of basic math. But it's funny hearing all of your philosophical debates about super hero movies. lol

by Anonymousreply 2805/19/2013

Iron Man 3 is a terrific movie. Fast paced and well acted. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Even Paltrow was good.

Dark Knight suffered from way too much hype, was incredibly long and yes, depressing. And I've never gotten the insane hype over Ledger's Oscar winning performance. Nolan is good director, but a shitty writer.

by Anonymousreply 2905/19/2013

R29, the main problem with Iron Man 3 is that you have to believe in magic. Like pieces of his iron man suit detecting a command issued in Miami, when they're in Tennessee... and then by themselves being able to fly themselves from Tennessee to Miami in record time, and self-assemble onto his body at high speed.

Because come on. I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief, but that was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3005/19/2013

R30 It's not nearly as ridiculous as in the Dark knight rises when they're all walking on that sheet of ice that's supposed to be so incredibly dangerous, yet they all stand in place for almost ten minutes holding a conversation and yet not one person falls through.

Or the drive to midtown that manages to go from early morning to evening within a matter of seconds.

by Anonymousreply 3105/19/2013

R31, it certainly is more ridiculous than that first moment.

But yeah, there are a lot of movies that can't get day/right or elapsed time right.

by Anonymousreply 3205/19/2013

Heath ledger wasn't in Iron Man 3.

by Anonymousreply 3305/19/2013

Two words: 3D

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2013

Two words: GP

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

Three words: You're all nerds.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

R36, You're delusional if you think that you've got a bigger dick than everyone else, and therefore have the right to dis other posters.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

[quote]In other words Dark Knight turns off some stupid people, [R2].

Yes, it was a deeply intellectual work.

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

Those DK movies are boring as hell. Don't get the Nolan hype at all! Hedger was the only good thing in them. IM3 was terrible too, but RDJ had some percentage deal and he promoted the hell out of these movies. The fist IM and Avengers were great, the rest of the Marvel movies were forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 3903/24/2014

The Dark Knight is a cartoon for pretentious teenagers. That adults fall for its ridiculous "perspective" on life is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 4003/24/2014

They're BOTH bloated, stupid comic book movies.

OK? Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 4103/24/2014

OP is very invested in the money aspect.

by Anonymousreply 4203/24/2014

[quote]Iron Man 3 was NOT better than the Dark Knight.

Well, [italic]there's[/italic] your problem.

If the quality of the film correlated to the box office take, "Avatar" and "Titanic" would certainly not be the two most popular films ever.

by Anonymousreply 4303/24/2014

How did Grease manage to gross more than my other two movies combined?

by Anonymousreply 4403/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.