Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who do not leave positive feedback for an eBay transaction, even if you have asked them to and have left it for them

Are they sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 6601/25/2014

They're passive aggressives.

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2013

Its rude. If it was a good transaction and u gave them poz feedback they should do the fucking same in a timely manner.

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2013

I stopped expecting feedback from every buyer right after I first started on eBay, 12 years ago. One guy didn't leave it, and I e-mailed him to ask him to leave it, and he still didn't leave it, and then I took a look at his feedback.

Under the tab "Feedback Left for Others," he had a 0. Zero. Nada. He didn't leave feedback for anyone. So there was nothing to take personally. Some people, I inferred, don't leave feedback. It's nothing more than a business transaction for them, and they don't play the eBay game. I can respect that.

I mean, I'm not selling stuff on eBay -- or, more recently, Amazon Marketplace, where, incidentally, feedback isn't nearly as essential a part of the process -- for the greater glory of it all. I'm doing it to make money.

I've got enough feedback now that it doesn't matter if anyone leaves it for me ever again. And I'm mostly buying now on eBay, so feedback doesn't even count.

If you don't have enough feedback, sell a couple of cheap items to some friends, and they can leave you feedback. Practically everyone has an eBay account.

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

I'm a buyer and I almost always leave feedback. I especially make a point to leave positive feedback for the "mom and pop" individual sellers since they have to struggle against the big storefronts that have taken over ebay.

I don't always leave feedback immediately - I'll sometimes wait until I've accumulated a few purchases and then leave feedback all at once. And I consider it a courtesy but not a necessity. If I leave feedback and the seller doesn't return the favor, I don't dwell on it. If you want to pursue it go ahead, but I'd just move on to other buyers/sellers.

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

I'm probably slightly weird (I tend to sell offbeat things), but when there's no feedback I figure there may be buyer's remorse. In that case, I keep an eye peeled for private messages which may indicate trouble's brewing or that an issue needs to be addressed.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

No, OP, people who choose not to leave feedback are not sociopaths.

People who angrily demand that others leave feedback for them might actually be sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

I'm with r2. I don't leave feedback because I am lazy and can't be bothered. I paid you for your item; you sent it it me; why the hell does a simple business transaction require anything else?

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

As a seller, I always look at feedback as a way for the buyer to let you know he received the item and is happy -- or at least there are no problems. I leave feedback for every buyer that leaves it for me, usually once a week or so when I'm cleaning up other business.

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

A friend of mine owns a store, is very busy, makes about 200 purchases a month and never leaves feedback. She is too busy. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

No, OP, I don't, because I have a lot of other shit to do. Why would I log back on to Ebay specifically to leave feedback?

Consider the money you got your "feedback." If someone doesn't demand a refund because of a problem with your product or service.....that is what you can call a "positive review."

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

What about the people who put plastic in the paper recycling bin? Are they sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

I'm sure they're called terrorists, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

Oh my god, R14, you're so busy you can't log in to eBay to leave feedback, but you can leave droppings of your presence here? I suggest you turn off the computer, disconnect your peripherals and take the who pile of inconvenient crap to the nearest recycling center.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

[quote]As a seller, I always look at feedback as a way for the buyer to let you know he received the item and is happy -- or at least there are no problems.

If there were problems, I would contact you. If I don't, you can assume everything is okay. That's how it works when I purchase something from a regular online retailer, and I see no need for buying stuff on eBay to be any more onerous or carry any more obligations for me than any other online purchase.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

There was a time that eBay would send reminders to a buyer if he/she had not sent feedback. I let eBay know that if they continued to bully me, I would stop buying on eBay. The emails ceased.

One reason that buyers do not leave feedback is that they know it is meaningless. One cannot leave honest feedback without getting the seller into trouble. Anything less than five stars is a negative to the seller as far as eBay is concerned. Five stars should only be for exceptional transactions. If the whole process is meaningless, why bother?

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

[quote]I suggest you turn off the computer, disconnect your peripherals and take the who pile of inconvenient crap to the nearest recycling center.

Why, r17? Because he dares to use his own computer the way HE pleases, rather than for the purposes YOU deem important? Consider yourself lucky anyone buys from you at all, you whiny little pissant.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

No, just lazy. Like me.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

R10 You are right about the sellers being sociopaths. I've received notes saying, Leave positive feedback about me and I'll leave positive feedback about you as a buyer. Try leaving negative or critical feedback. It's tit for tat with these sociopaths. They will leave negative feedback about you as a customer even if you paid instantly and didn't give them any grief.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

I stopped purchasing anything on eBay years ago. The last thing I bought was some software, purchased using PayPal; the seller said in his ad that he would ship upon receipt of payment.

He notified me the next day when he got his PayPal payment and shipped the software, and ended his email with "I'll wait until you leave me positive feedback and then I'll leave you feedback."

I had already decided eBay wasn't worth it and intended to buy nothing else there, but that was the topper.

Why would he need to wait until I left feedback to leave me feedback? Because it's a coercive threat to leave negative feedback if I left negative feedback.

That's when I realized none of the ratings on eBay meant anything - it's a circle jerk of people leaving each other positive feedback if others leave positive feedback, and petty revenge negative feedback if the buyer leaves negative feedback.

I'm just glad I stopped buying from there before I got scammed by one of the creepy sellers.

I like Amazon much better, where people leave product reviews instead of just an endless series of coerced "A+++++ seller!" comments.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

R23, Sellers CANNOT leave negative feedback for buyers. It is the one time that eBay will remove feedback. I know several buyers who have had sellers leave negative comments in the feedback section, and every time eBay has removed the comments.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

R24 I simply do not believe you.

by Anonymousreply 2505/24/2013

I try to leave positive feedback when I remember, but sometimes I just forget. I think the op is the one most likely to have a mental disorder if they really think that not leaving feedback is sociopathic.

One time I bought a pair of Nike sneakers which turned out to be fake. In addition the sellers picture deliberately hid an area of the shoe that was coming apart. Before doing anything I called ebay and they agreed to disable his feedback ability while I confronted him. He said that he had no idea they were counterfeit and that he's sorry and will refund my money if I send them back (he didn't even offer to pay the return shipping). I told him that if it were just that the shoes were fake I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but the fact that the seams were coming loose in an area he clearly covered intentionally in his picture showed he was dishonest and if he doesn't refund my money within the hour he'd be reported to ebay and investigated for fraud. I had my money in 5 minutes, and trashed the shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2605/24/2013

I leave it for the person if they leave it for me, and this is both as a buyer and seller.

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2013

OP, you are totally right. I should not bother to support any eBay sellers at all. That's clearly the answer. Oh, wait. I think the sellers are mostly looking for the money, and are happy to get it. The feedback system is simply a marketing tool designed to build consumer confidence.

I'm actually with R2 and R14. And I used to be a popular eBay seller years ago! (for my specific product, that is)

I recently bought a game from someone who seemed like a naive college kid (or maybe highschooler), who screwed me over in small but irritating ways. I called him on it and gave him helpful tips so things would be smoother for him as a seller, since he seemed so green. But he still made me wait for my game and pay for insurance and stupid stuff. Then begged me for feedback. I just don't care about leaving feedback in general, and I'm certainly not going to lie and say someone's wonderful when they sucked.

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2013

I always leave feedback if I'm happy with the purchased item, which I almost always am. It takes two minutes of my time. I see it as an additional "thank you" to the seller for making things easy.

What's wrong with you people?

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2013

[quote] Are they sociopaths?

Why would they be a sociopath, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2013

You seem to understand the process, R11, but why the hostility towards people who are just selling some stuff to make or supplement their income? Do you think people post stuff on eBay just for something to do? The whole point of the feedback system is to create a sense of community and a way for participants to show their intentions. Since the transaction is entirely online, you never get the opportunity to meet the people you're trading with, so there's no way to get an idea of whether or not to trust the other party. And since eBay is fairly strict in their policy oversight, a negative review just gives potential traders a reason not to trust you. Like you said, you paid for the item and I sent it to you. Is it really so onerous to ask that you rate the transaction so that others can see that I chose to do business in an honest, forthright manner, and likewise, I'll take the final step in his reciprocal relationship by thanking you for your business and letting other merchants know you're a trustworthy buyer?

by Anonymousreply 3205/25/2013

Idon't care to leave a traceable record of my purchases

by Anonymousreply 3305/25/2013

Bingo @ R33. Anyone who has your email address can look at everything you purchased on Ebay thru your reviews.

by Anonymousreply 3405/25/2013

How about I leave negative feedback because you're a whiny bitchy bottom expecting to be thanked for DOING WHAT YOU WERE PAID FOR!

by Anonymousreply 3505/25/2013

I know longer sell on EBAY. After 2 years of headache and too many problems with dishonest buyers I switched to Ruby Lane. After hundreds of sales I never had an issue that could not be politely resolved.

by Anonymousreply 3605/25/2013

If they had a box where you could check off positive, negative or neutral, hit the submit button and be done with it, it would be fine. But they make you write a review as well, which is uncalled for. Give people the option of just checking a box and moving on.

by Anonymousreply 3805/25/2013

Have you ever considered writing "Thanks" in the box?

I bet your parents never made you thank your relatives when they sent you gifts, right?

by Anonymousreply 3905/25/2013

I chalk some of this up to smartphones, etc..people get emails on those damn things and say "I'll followup with this when I am in front of my laptop or computer where it's easier to log in and type etc" then they forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 4005/25/2013

R39, I'm not R38 but your post is fucked up, selfish and entitled.

My parents taught me to write thank you notes when I received gifts.

My parents did not teach me to write thank you notes to stores where I bought things.

by Anonymousreply 4105/25/2013

On more than one occasion, I have not left feedback because I was dissatisfied with a transaction, but did not want to sully the seller's reputation. Usually I guessed that the problem was inadvertent.

by Anonymousreply 4205/25/2013

[quote] Have you ever considered writing "Thanks" in the box? I bet your parents never made you thank your relatives when they sent you gifts, right?

Well OP THAT changes everything. WHO knew you were giving your shit away? Are you giving away used dildos or your Hallmark figurines?

by Anonymousreply 4305/25/2013

I always leave feedback because I think it's the right thing to do. It's a person I'm dealing with--not a big store like Best Buy. I could've purchased something from a struggling DLer for all I know.

by Anonymousreply 4405/25/2013

[quote]My parents did not teach me to write thank you notes to stores where I bought things.

You are not buying things from a store, you are buying them from an individual and feedback is a system that lets other users know you are a trustworthy seller.

Your parents did not instill any concept of manners into you, did they?

by Anonymousreply 4505/25/2013

[quote]Your parents did not instill any concept of manners into you, did they?

They skipped the chapter on online retailers, or maybe I slept through it.

by Anonymousreply 4605/25/2013

I hate when a seller asks you to leave feedback for them after you've made your purchase when they haven't done that for you. As a buyer your part of the transaction is complete after you've paid.

by Anonymousreply 4705/25/2013

Imagine a world where every time you buy something in a store you have to report back and tell them how happy your are with the shit you bought. It is a courtesy, not an obligation. You can play along or not. I stopped selling on Ebay after a few transactions. Too many crazies. They send out 1099s now if you sell over a certain amount. The effort was not worth the return.

by Anonymousreply 4805/25/2013

I cannot get over how myopic some of these posters are reacting to a pretty simple business transaction. Nobody is compelling you to leave feedback -- but I'll guarantee that many of those who say they refuse to leave feedback look at the seller's feedback score and make decisions to go ahead and bid/buy based on that information.

Think of it this way: you can get some great deals on eBay. However, part of the compensation you pay for an item is non-monetary, as in the few minutes it takes to leave feedback. If you had a pleasant experience (the product was as described, it was shipped quickly, it functions how you would expect it to function) what does it take to click a radio button and write "good seller" or "happy with item" in the comment box? Maybe 20 seconds?

As I wrote, it is a reciprocal relationship. I list, you buy. You pay, I ship. You leave feedback - good or bad - and I do likewise. Without everyone's participation, the system doesn't work, and no one benefits.

by Anonymousreply 4905/25/2013

Actually, it works fine with just your first two steps: " I list, you buy. You pay, I ship. "

Yes, I look at feedback. I only look at the negs and neutrals and see what is said, and what the seller said about those buyers. As long as the seller sounds normal and no red flags are raised, I go for it.

If you're so uptight about getting every last bit of feedback, you should hit a bong or something. Just sell more items. Some people will leave FB. It'll all work out.

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

When a seller has a score of 100 you know it's fake. Anyone who deals with the public knows that you can do everything perfectly and someone will always come along who still isn't satisfied.

The ebay rating system is dishonest marketing, not real feedback.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

You need to think about how you can better serve your customers, OP, not how they can better serve YOU.

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2013

R49, if I have a genuinely positive experience with a seller, I leave feedback saying that.

If I wasn't that impressed with either the price or the service, I don't say anything.

If I have a bad experience, I will recount that.

It's a mistake for a seller to push me for feedback because it's probably not going to be what he wants to hear.

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2013

I think the bigger issue with Ebay is that Heaven forbid you're allowed to always use a credit card to make purchases like every other fucking site.

You hit a limit, they want your bank account info. Fuck that. When I hit the limit, I'll just stick with Amazon and other sites to make my purchases even if I have to pay more.

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2013

OP, are you on ebay to make money or to collect feedback?

If you sell something that people want, your feedback count will not be a deterrent, unless you 5 buyer feedbacks screaming "THIEF!" "Scammer!"

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2013

Same thing happened to me R54. I hit the limit and they asked for bank info and I said "adios." No one 'needs' to shop on Ebay. I get everything I need from other sites now. Amazon is great.

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2013

To OP and especially to R17 who wrote:

[quote]Oh my god, [R14], you're so busy you can't log in to eBay to leave feedback, but you can leave droppings of your presence here? I suggest you turn off the computer, disconnect your peripherals and take the who pile of inconvenient crap to the nearest recycling center.

Question, do you log into Yelp or other sites whenever you go to any grocery, department, or other business you make a purchase at? If you don't, I guess you're a sociopath who spends too much time on DL to be bothered.

And don't say you do, because that'll make you a liar too.

by Anonymousreply 5705/26/2013

I purchase on average 10-20 items there per month. If the item was shipped quickly and the postal charges were fair, I will leave feedback once or twice a month for all my winnings. If the seller waited a week to ship my item after I paid immediately or I notice they charged $5 for shipping and the postmark reads $3 I will not leave positive feedback. I've sold there too and if I ever over-charge a buyer on shipping costs I always give them a Paypal refund--even if it's only for a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 5805/26/2013

The point of leaving feedback on ebay is so buyers know they can trust the seller. If the seller didn't screw anything up, you should give them good feedback so people know they're trustworthy. It's rude not to.

by Anonymousreply 5912/26/2013

R58 you shop too much.

by Anonymousreply 6101/25/2014

I JUST bought a cell phone off ebay - the claimed it was MINT no visible scratches. When I got it it had a very large ding in the back and deep scratches along the top.

I have not left feedback and opened a case. They have not responded. In this case what do I do, leave negative feedback?

by Anonymousreply 6201/25/2014

R62, I would. Especially if they have not responded.

by Anonymousreply 6301/25/2014

If you filed a report with eBay citing the product was damaged, wait for it to go through as normal, R62. At the time you filed the report, eBay should have said the seller has 7 days to reply. If they reply, go from there. If they don't reply, eBay will send you a reminder, you fill out the form saying the seller never replied, and eBay almost always gives you back your money.

Leaving negative feedback might get the seller's attention, but consider giving them a few days to respond to you first.

Keep in mind you'll have to pay return shipping to send it back to the seller, though. eBay doesn't allow sellers to refund more than what you paid, because people were/are using eBay for money laundering schemes.

by Anonymousreply 6401/25/2014

I don't leave feedback and am unapologetic. Other sites I buy from don't bother with it and it's just an annoyance. Some times you just have to accept that other people have different priorities.

This feels a lot like the PTA wars in elementary schools. A few of the parents will just knock themselves out putting in hours of work. Then they get all snotty toward the parents who don't. Not knowing anything about their lives or time commitments. Same in politics, churches, etc.

I figure, hey, if it works for you, knock yourself out. But keep your nose out of my business.

It's optional. Suck it up, mind your own business and move it along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 6501/25/2014

I think that it's safe to say that they either have borderline personality disorder, or they're uncut.

by Anonymousreply 6601/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!