Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Theatergoer praised as hero for smashing woman's cellphone

"It was bad enough that I seriously considered leaving during the intermission, something I’ve not done before. The main offenders were two parties of women of a certain age, the sad sort with too much makeup and too-high heels, and insufficient attention span for following a two-hour musical."

A Datalounger?

by This guy's my hero.reply 13105/18/2013

No,just a hysterical little shit.

by This guy's my hero.reply 105/17/2013

Yes, R1. When people lose the right to be a rude asshole, all we have left is a civilized society.

by This guy's my hero.reply 305/17/2013

I'm sure he wouldn't have copped an attitude with a big guy because he would have gotten his face bashed in. Some kind of "hero".

by This guy's my hero.reply 405/17/2013

Ugh he sounds so pretentious, not for what he did but the way he explains it. UGH!

by This guy's my hero.reply 505/17/2013

r4, you have no idea what he would do. And you need to project a fantasy scenario for what reason?

by This guy's my hero.reply 605/17/2013

Agreed about the explanation, r5. It wasn't objective at all, it was about categorizing a group of people and subtly trashing them. It would have been sufficient to say that person A was behaving in a particular manner.

by This guy's my hero.reply 705/17/2013

I would guarantee that the prissy little madam would not have snatched a phone from the hands of a 6'4" linebacker. He may have had a point about it being annoying but the way he went about it was wrong and the subsequent boasting about his bullying prowess just shows him up as a vicious, nasty brat.

I hope the woman sues for damages, physical and mental. Assault and destruction of property is not how civilised, reasonable people deal with things. He could have gotten a steward to ask her to stop or be removed, but he went for the direct assault instead.

by This guy's my hero.reply 805/17/2013

What a bunch of fucking PRISSES in this thread. I applaud the guy. Who the FUCK did these bitches think they were? It's about time people started fighting back against selfishness and bad manners.

by This guy's my hero.reply 905/17/2013

R8 wonders why she can't wipe her shit-spewing spawn's ass in a starbucks.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1005/17/2013

Clearly he did not see the most recent episode of "Smash," wherein we were instructed to leave our cell phones on and actually USE them during a performance of "Hit List."

by This guy's my hero.reply 1105/17/2013

[quote]I hope the woman sues for damages, physical and mental

Yes, being deprived of the power to talk on your phone while sitting in the audience of a live play constitutes extreme mental cruelty! That poor woman will never be the same.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1205/17/2013

Yes I blame Smash for this mess. She should also sue the producers/writers of that show.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1305/17/2013

R10 As a childless male who wouldn't drink the hot goat piss they pass off as coffee at Starbucks I'm not sure what your fuckwitted comment is meant to say, but one thing is clear, I don't condone violence against anyone, especially those who are smaller and/ or weaker than myself. That's because I'm not a whiny, spiteful, passive aggressive cunt like you.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1405/17/2013

Mysangist!

by This guy's my hero.reply 1505/17/2013

Years ago that grabbed phone could have been used as a prop in Stomp. .

by This guy's my hero.reply 1605/17/2013

R14 probably can't take a shit without having to hop on their phone for something.

Fuck, I hate cell phones and texters.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1705/17/2013

[quote]probably can't take a shit without having to hop on their phone

There's an app for that!

by This guy's my hero.reply 1805/17/2013

First came a polite request. Then an usher's polite request. Then an (accurate) reminder her cell phone usage was against NY State law.

The self-entitled NY bitch was lucky she was not arrested.

The critic is my hero.

by This guy's my hero.reply 1905/17/2013

From the writer of Scream, Dawson's Creek and The Vampire Diaries.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2005/17/2013

"Fuck, I hate cell phones and texters."

I'm sure you'd feel different if anyone called or texted you.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2105/17/2013

Once again R21, don't be so childish.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2205/17/2013

Different Kevin Williamson, r20. This one is a hardcore right-wing pundit.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2305/17/2013

I was surprised it took R21 so long to come up with that lame and predictable joke which I was hoping wouldn't be made.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2405/17/2013

"I don't condone violence against anyone, especially those who are smaller and/ or weaker than myself. That's because I'm not a whiny, spiteful, passive aggressive cunt like you. "

And yet you so passive-aggresively hurl vindictive comments from the cloistered confines of your computer, seething with bile all the way.

La la la!

by This guy's my hero.reply 2505/17/2013

Weak men always like to bully women and then they gloat about how tough they are.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2605/17/2013

A hero in my ears.

by This guy's my hero.reply 2705/17/2013

Do cellphone zappers work on smartphones?

by This guy's my hero.reply 2805/17/2013

[quote] It wasn't objective at all, it was about categorizing a group of people and subtly trashing them.

Which occurs on most every thread, everyday on DL. Suggesting that the people who post here are no different from this guy.

[quote]I would guarantee that the prissy little madam would not have snatched a phone from the hands of a 6'4" linebacker.

I would guarantee that the vast majority of those who post here (as in: close to 100%) wouldn't have the balls to say the shit that they post about the people and groups that they trash anonymously online to those same targets in person.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3005/17/2013

Oh I can refute that R30. I am a very nice guy, but if pushed my direct face-to-face confrontations will make you gasp.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3105/17/2013

[quote]That's because I'm not a whiny, spiteful, passive aggressive cunt like you.

IRONY ALERT

by This guy's my hero.reply 3205/17/2013

[quote]He could have gotten a steward to ask her to stop or be removed, but he went for the direct assault instead.

What the fuck is a steward?

by This guy's my hero.reply 3305/17/2013

Severely torn by this one - I really, really want to applaud a theatregoer taking the law into their own hands. However, this aggressive, over-entitled twat is a writer for the motherfucking [bold]National Review[/bold].

So, erm, yeah he probably is a Datalounger.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3405/17/2013

[quote]So I minded my own business by utilizing my famously feline agility to deftly snatch the phone out of her hand and toss it across the room, where it would do no more damage. She slapped me and stormed away to seek managerial succor. Eventually, I was visited by a black-suited agent of order, who asked whether he might have a word.

The man was paid to write those sentences. Unbelievable.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3505/17/2013

This is the writing style of the classic pretentious twat.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3605/17/2013

I wished he had managed to throw it out the doors. These egomaniacal, anti-social pigs need to be taught a lesson.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3705/17/2013

The article clearly states "...his date spoke with theater management during intermission, but the situation wasn't remedied when the play resumed"

Do you people even read the articles?

My partner and I were at the theater once and two lovebirds in front of us were not only noisily sharing their Skittles together, but also engaging in a running commentary about the show. One chose to remove her shoes, curl up on the seat and snuggle up next to her beloved, thereby blocking our view of the stage. Theater seats are designed so that all have a reasonable view of the stage.

I tapped them on the shoulder and let them know they were blocking our view of the stage.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3805/17/2013

I wish we had photos of the women to splash across the internet.

by This guy's my hero.reply 3905/17/2013

R15, I love your signature.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4005/17/2013

Well-behaved women seldom make history.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4105/17/2013

"but one thing is clear, I don't condone violence against anyone, especially those who are smaller and/ or weaker than myself."

violence? you fucking histrionic homo...he plucked a phone from her hands and threw it.

and so what if he wouldnt have done it if she were a big strapping guy. he assessed the best way to deal with the situation based on salient factors and acted accordingly. if it's an effective means to an end, then so what.

wantonly, recklessly and selfishly putting one's needs before everyone else's in a public space with specific decorum - like theater - is a form of outright hostility. she got what she deserved. and if I were him I would've taken it one step further and slapped her back.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4205/17/2013

[quote] Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Dolley Madison

Clara Barton

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Florence Nightingale

Martha Washington ...

by This guy's my hero.reply 4305/17/2013

I strongly applaud the writer for throwing her cellphone away.

Excellent solution by a brave theater-goer.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4405/17/2013

He should have shoved that phone up that woman's mouth.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4505/17/2013

I had an aisle seat next to an elderly woman. Her cell phone began playing a tune so she rummaged through a large purse, found it, hit a few buttons and it stopped.

Five minutes later, same thing.

Once again, a few minutes later. She obviously didn't know how to shut down the damn thing. People were turning around, glaring at her; murmurs from behind. This time I said to her, "Please give me your phone." I took it, walked out to the box office and explained what it was about and said that someone would pick it up after the show. At intermission, I got a lot of thank-yous.

I checked at the box office after the show and was told that they answered the phone when it rang again. It was the woman's daughter phoning to see if her mother was enjoying the show. I was really pissed, but at least I didn't wreck the phone.

by This guy's my hero.reply 4605/17/2013

[quote]Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Ahem!

by This guy's my hero.reply 4705/17/2013

I'm calling bullshit here.

*The guy who did this writes for "The National Review." Have you ever read him? HUGE homophobe and spews the most ridiculous nonsense about "the welfare state" and "big government." You would hate him otherwise.

*Read the article in context. Notice how he is "civilized" and the young woman a figure of entitlement (standard right-wing bullshit). Note the man in the dark suit who does nothing (damn those lily livered liberals who are in charge). Oh, and of course, notice how the person is watching a play based on Tolstoy--no "Spiderman" for him!

BULLSHIT. I don't believe a word of it, but you can bet the people who read "The National Review" are mastubating furiously to this garbate--along with the idiots who post here.

And of course, these assholes will NEVER subscribe to the magazine since it is against our agenda,right?

by This guy's my hero.reply 4805/17/2013

R16- isn't STOMP still running?

by This guy's my hero.reply 4905/17/2013

r48, what does any of that shit have to do with cell phone rudeness in a theater? Being annoyed by rudeness is not left wing or right wing.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5005/17/2013

The guy on a personal level sounds like a douchebag, but I have to admit that when I heard this story, I applauded him.

And I wish every theater-goer in NYC would do the same thing the next time some IDIOT with a cellphone decides to disrupt a live performance because they can't stay away from their texting/surfing/talking for an hour and half. It's absurd. If you have so little self-control and so few manners, stay the fuck out of the theater.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5105/17/2013

R50, R48 "called bullshit". Anything anyone says after that phrase is automatically discredited.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5205/17/2013

He's a bitch and would not have done that to a BM or any man over five foot six.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5305/17/2013

the cell phone user is probably of the bridge and tunnel crowd.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5405/17/2013

The guy who writes like that is supposedly straight?

by This guy's my hero.reply 5505/17/2013

I had no idea NRO had a theater critic! He sounds wonderful though, a totally bitchy queen, my favorite kind although if he's closeted I feel bad for him. He's in NYC I assume so he's probably only closeted to his readers.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5605/17/2013

R53- so what? We should all do it to the big tough guys too.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5705/17/2013

R46's tale is hilariously annoying. I'm imagining a clueless Frau congratulating herself on giving Mother some unwanted treat, and needing instant approval.

You just know that if Mother knew how to work the damn cellphone (also unwanted) there'd have been a long loud conversation - other playgoers, not to mention actors, being entirely beside the point. World-class solipsism.

Last year I was enjoying Mark Rylance as Richard III at The Globe theatre. During a soliloquy a cellphone drilled into the air. Rylance broke off, gave the culprit an apt death-glare, waved a hand in contempt and re-found his line.

Still, I suppose there was worse behaviour from groundlings in Shakespeare's day.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5805/18/2013

If he had had a gun, he could have shot her.

by This guy's my hero.reply 5905/18/2013

People pay a lot of money for tickets, and expect to get a decent show for their money. If management caves, and allows those women to get free money for ruining shows for theatergoers, then such behavior will become more common.

Stereotyping all 6'4" as all-purpose bruisers is akin to stereotyping all 5' men as losers.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6005/18/2013

He's no breakfast hero.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6105/18/2013

r53: "He's a bitch and would not have done that to a BM or any man over five foot six."

If the woman had taken a BM at her seat he would have had every right to fling it across the theater. And he sounds like the kind of guy who would have offered warning - Duck Dung!

by This guy's my hero.reply 6205/18/2013

His pompous yet twee writing style, all bluster and high dudgeon, evokes Paul Bland, Ignatius Reilly, Sheridan Whiteside, and Clifton Webb–as–Mr. Belvedere all rolled into one.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6305/18/2013

This should continue to happen again and again and maybe the entitled cellphone assholes will begin to get the idea that they should shut the fucking things off during the show/movie/concert!

by This guy's my hero.reply 6405/18/2013

"wantonly, recklessly and selfishly putting one's needs before everyone else's in a public space with specific decorum - like theater - is a form of outright hostility."

MARY!

Get a fucking grip.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6605/18/2013

I can't believe how many of you are on the side of the cellphone-wielding abusers of both audience and performers. Cellphone Addiction Disorder is far more deeply entrenched than I'd imagined.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6805/18/2013

"Advocating physical violence against gay men?"

When the gay man is exhibiting violence against a woman, then the woman should be free to defend herself at all costs.

It was management's job to deal with it, not his. And you don't touch someone else's personal property.

by This guy's my hero.reply 6905/18/2013

I haven't plowed through all the posts, but you should know that at gratifying as this may seem it could backfire. I friend of mine took someones cellphone away at a Broadway play and was brought up on assault charges. He is also banned from any theater owned by the theater owner.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7005/18/2013

[quote]It was management's job to deal with it,

Unfortunately, they won't deal with it. Theater staff are only permitted to inform the person that he/she is not allowed to use the cellphone. They cannot take the cellphone. They are not permitted to get physical with an audience member in any way. In spite of the fact that this is against the law, the police will not respond to a call that an audience member is using a cell phone in a theater. So, the law cannot be enforced.

A related incident, but not a cell phone. I was at a performance of a jukebox musical on Broadway. There was a woman who was obviously drunk and being very disruptive and sing along with the actors at the top of her voice. The house manager tried to address the issue during intermission, but the woman simple became abusive and refused to quite down or leave. The upshot was that the theater did nothing as removing her would extend the intermission and send the orchestra into overtime; so, she was permitted to stay for the entire performance.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7205/18/2013

"You're an idiot and an ass, defending indefensible behavior of a rude boorish person."

And fuck you for applauding violence against a woman. By a freeper no less. Go lick Sarah Palin's clit and shut up.

R70 Of course it could backfire. And I hope he does have charges pressed against him. He had no right to do what he did. Management not doing their job does not entail him to do it. If management cannot forcibly remove a cell phone, some deranged nut can't either.

And I guarantee you he would not have pulled that stunt had it been a black or Spanish woman. And if he had the balls to, he would have gotten his ass handed back to him, and deservedly so.

The woman hating loons can cream their pants all they want to over this story, but he was in the wrong. Period.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7305/18/2013

I wish EVERYONE who used a cellphone like this fucking arrogantly rude entitled cunt had this happen to them.

I can't believe there are any morons defending this bitch.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7505/18/2013

He did violence against a device.

Some of you are advocating violence against HIM.

I applaud him. I applaud anyone who does this exact same thing in these exact same circumstances. I don't give a shit if it's less than legal. If more people did this now, there would be no need to do this in the future.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7705/18/2013

One of favorite scenes in God Bless America was when they shot the idiots in the theater.

[quote]Frank: I hate my neighbors. The constant cacophony of stupidity that pours from their apartment is absolutely soul-crushing. It doesn't matter how politely I ask them to practice some common courtesy - they're incapable of comprehending that their actions affect other people. They have a complete lack of consideration for anyone else, and an overly developed sense of entitlement. They have no decency, no concern, no shame. They do not care that I suffer from debilitating migraines and insomnia. They do not care that I have to go to work, or that I want to kill them. I know it's not normal to want to kill, but I also know that I am no longer normal.

by This guy's my hero.reply 7805/18/2013

No, no one can condone what he did. That was assault. And he committed the tort of conversion by throwing and breaking her phone (in all likelihood breaking it). BUT, if there is any shred of truth to the comments of the woman, her demeanor and behavior, then she was being a quintessential New York CUNT, all caps. There are a lot of them. And in this instance, I "secretly" applaud what this guy did. I file it under, "not proper and not right but I am glad he did it."

I don't give two shits about his politics or his job or his sexual orientation.

So, I give him two thumbs up! It might not fare well for him in the long run but he made a great point!

by This guy's my hero.reply 7905/18/2013

Me: (After ineffective glaring) Shhh!

Tourist lady of a certain age chatting in theater: It hasn't started yet.

Me: That's a live orchestra playing the overture.

TLOACACIT: Oh. Are they friends of yours?

by This guy's my hero.reply 8005/18/2013

The people in here pretending to side with the cell phone user are just trolling. No one really wants to deal with that shit. Too bad James Holmes wasn't sitting beside them that day.

by This guy's my hero.reply 8105/18/2013

[quote]The guy who did this writes for "The National Review." Have you ever read him? HUGE homophobe

The man who wrote [italic]that[/italic] and acted like [italic]that[/italic] purports to be straight? Oh, my sides.

by This guy's my hero.reply 8205/18/2013

Let us concede that the guy would not have grabbed the phone out of the hands of a 6'4" linebacker. So what?

Would the kid who stands up to a bully be less heroic because he would not have stood up to three bullies?

by This guy's my hero.reply 8305/18/2013

[quote]And you don't touch someone else's personal property.

That is correct. You also don't talk on a phone while you are seated in the audience of a live performance. You are instructed not to do that and common sense tells you you are not supposed to do that. But the woman insisted on doing it.

She brought upon herself the violation of her boundaries because she was violating everyone else's right to enjoy a show without the sight and sound of her talking. She was asked repeatedly to behave properly. She wouldn't comply. She traded away the right to be treated with decency because of her own indecent behavior. Good manners are a two-way street.

by This guy's my hero.reply 8405/18/2013

Exactly, R84. Precisely. Well stated.

by This guy's my hero.reply 8505/18/2013

The jackass defending the freeper/homophobe is only embarrassing itself.

The woman was being obnoxious, but he was in the wrong for essentially stealing the woman's item out of her own hands. You can't do that. Period.

You can't defend that kind of behavior. And from a Republican?

I'd never thought I read someone defending the rights of a homophobe, much less trying to make them out to be a victim on here. Absolutely pathetic. I side with the woman on principle alone.

by This guy's my hero.reply 8605/18/2013

I can't wait until they ban texting while driving on a federal level. A well loved Anesthesiologist was hit and killed by some fucker driving an AT&T van in the town I went to PT school. Just out for a bike ride and killed because fuckers aren't responsible enough to put their goddamn phone down while driving 45 mph... around a turn... on a connector...

by This guy's my hero.reply 8705/18/2013

[quote]Oh I can refute that [R30]. I am a very nice guy, but if pushed my direct face-to-face confrontations will make you gasp.

MARY!

by This guy's my hero.reply 8805/18/2013

More people need to start doing what this man did, then perhaps, the assholes with cell phone addiction might get help.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9005/18/2013

R90, R64, and R75, I love each of you.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9105/18/2013

What difference does it make that the guy's otherwise an asshole? Of course he is. That's what enables him to do something everyone else only wishes they could do. An asshole can be right.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9405/18/2013

Male. Decidedly NOT a defender of the cellphone addicted cunts.

But I don't believe it's necessarily a man/woman issue. One of my best friends, male, is constantly checking his cellphone and talking about whatever it tells him, even when he's not actually talking on it. It is more a part of his life than anyone who's actually in the room with him.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9505/18/2013

But he's a Republican.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9605/18/2013

Better to defend the woman than a homophobe.

Your hero thinks you're worthless shit.

And I'm sure there's a couple of caftan cheeto stained five hundred pound gay men getting off on that thought right now.

Ewwww!

But that's what happens when you haven't been laid in the last two decades. You start finding any old THING attractive.

Seriously, the stench of some of those basements must be horrid!!

Get out the gas masks!

by This guy's my hero.reply 9705/18/2013

There is no logic at all in your thinking, R97. The woman was selfishly and stubbornly violating the rights of those around her. He put a stop to it despite the risks. What either of them thinks about the rights of gay people has nothing to do with it.

Is your entire moral code based on whether the person acting is a friend or an enemy of gay rights?

by This guy's my hero.reply 9805/18/2013

There are plenty of loud, inappropriate male cell phone users.

by This guy's my hero.reply 9905/18/2013

[quote]Is your entire moral code based on whether the person acting is a friend or an enemy of gay rights?

What an idiotic attempt to defend a rageaholic homophobe.What's with the freeper invasion recently?

There is an easy way to handle this situation. You simply request an usher eject the person using the cell phone. If he refuses, you ask to be refunded. You also ask for (or locate yourself) a phone number for the owner of the theatre.

Then explain the situation to the owner and suggest the theatre staff be properly trained.The owner will be grateful and will likely offer free tickets to the next performance.

No laws broken. No psychotic displays of rage.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10005/18/2013

I like r100's prissy suggestion for correct behavior.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10105/18/2013

[quote]What an idiotic attempt to defend a rageaholic homophobe.What's with the freeper invasion recently?

I am not defending his homophobia. I am saying it is not relevant to how I feel about his behavior in the theater. My opinion of the woman's behavior would not be changed if it turned out she was a leader of the gay rights movement.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10205/18/2013

R94 nails it.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10305/18/2013

I think it's real progress that National Review has hired a theater queen, albeit a mentally unstable one. When's the last time a NR commentator of any description would admit to enjoying a musical?

by This guy's my hero.reply 10405/18/2013

[quote] don't condone violence against anyone, especially those who are smaller and/ or weaker than myself. That's because I'm not a whiny, spiteful, passive aggressive cunt like you.

Get over it. It's not like he smashed the phone of a divinely delicate hot young boy with tight abs, an ample bulge and a tight round ass! That's somebody who's really vulnerable!

by This guy's my hero.reply 10505/18/2013

I am a fan of good manners and I have the decency to practice what I preach. Unlike this asshole, who thinks he is a law unto himself. The fact that he can't see what's wrong with his behavior indicates that he is as rude and boorish as he says the cell phone user was. If I had been there and witnessed him asking the woman to put her phone away and then retrieving mgmt when she didn't, I would be 100 percent on his side. I would even shake his hand and offer to buy him a drink.

If I had seen him assault the cell phone user, I would have jumped to her defense, even if her behavior annoyed me. Physical assault is not excusable as a tool against rude behavior.

I'm 5'4, 115 pounds. I wear heels sometimes. I don't look intimidating but I am one vicious bitch when provoked. Let him try to snatch my phone and throw it. I would have pounded that fucker in the ground.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10605/18/2013

Three wrongs don't make a right, r106.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10705/18/2013

R106[quote]If I had seen him assault the cell phone user, I would have jumped to her defense, even if her behavior annoyed me. Physical assault is not excusable as a tool against rude behavior.

HE. DID. NOT. ASSAULT. HER.

He simply relieved her of the device she was using to assault him, the rest of the audience, and the performers onstage.

Your height is irrelevant, but I'll agree that you sound like one vicious bitch.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10805/18/2013

[quote]If I had seen him assault the cell phone user,

I don't really condone the way he handled the situation, but it wasn't assault.

by This guy's my hero.reply 10905/18/2013

I have a strong suspicion that the cellphone addict sympathizers are addicts themselves.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11005/18/2013

You begin with:

[quote]I am a fan of good manners and I have the decency to practice what I preach. Unlike this asshole, who thinks he is a law unto himself.

And conclude with:

[quote]Let him try to snatch my phone and throw it. I would have pounded that fucker in the ground.

Okey-doke. You could have "practiced what you preach" and "retrieve mgmt." or called the police instead of "being a law unto yourself." Ya know?

by This guy's my hero.reply 11105/18/2013

You definitely don't do that at the theatre. At the cinema sadly you can get away with it more, but that's super bad etiquette. It must require more attention span for that, so to be distracted like that would drive anyone up the wall.

There's much stronger policing with the ushers there but that's something that would be more difficult to stop. My #1 annoyance.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11205/18/2013

R25 - you really don't know what passive-aggressive means.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11305/18/2013

My suggestion is to get one of those small but annoyingly bright LED flashlights and shine it right in their face when they're using the phone.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11405/18/2013

I'm a bitchy bitch as there was a bitch and this bitch is misogynist. Again... would he have thrown the phone of a BM??

Of course not. But the fish haters on DL are so blind they can't see a perfect example of misogyny slapping them in the fact. Her rudeness does not trump him destroying personal property.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11505/18/2013

If it were a woman smashing a man's phone, I would feel the same way. She would be a hero.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11605/18/2013

[quote]the fish haters on DL are so blind they can't see a perfect example of misogyny

And yet "fish" is the most obvious example of a word coming from a gay man that denotes misogyny.

I'm not sure about "frau" - but we all know what means, generic suburban housewife. I've saw that used at other sites, but it isn't exactly used nicely.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11705/18/2013

It's like trying to decide which one to root for - the wildebeest or the hyena.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11805/18/2013

this thread is like watching a wife and a mistress having a birch fight while the husband sits on the sidelines.

The issue here is that the management did NOTHING! The only way to resolve this problem is to force theater management to address the issue with something more than an announcement.

by This guy's my hero.reply 11905/18/2013

Sorry , Bitch fight

by This guy's my hero.reply 12005/18/2013

[quote]There is an easy way to handle this situation. You simply request an usher eject the person using the cell phone. If he refuses, you ask to be refunded.

Rational thought doesn't work well in a forum like this. You need to dumb it down to only two sides, then everyone picks a side.

Also, there is no swearing or offensive epithet in your post. Are you sure you know how to use the internet?

by This guy's my hero.reply 12105/18/2013

They talked to the theater management. They did nothing.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12205/18/2013

[quote]I have a strong suspicion that the cellphone addict sympathizers are addicts themselves.

I have a strong suspicion you frequently make an ass of yourself by jumping to conclusions.

As I, and others, have stated, this homophobic thug is no hero. There are legal ways to handle people who cause public disturbances.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12305/18/2013

How I honestly think I would have handled this after tolerating it for the first act. During intermission, I would ask management to please ask the woman to stop speaking on the phone and explain the interruptions. If management does nothing, I'd ask her personally. If she gave me attitude, I'd probably get up in a huff saying "Sorry, I didn't realize that you and your phone are the most important things in this room." leave and demand my money back. Especially if I had a two or three glasses of wine with dinner. I know. Very Mary.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12405/18/2013

[quote] I think it's real progress that National Review has hired a theater queen

He seems to be a roming reporter who specialises in financial stories (and who writes rather poorly!).

by This guy's my hero.reply 12505/18/2013

[quote] He seems to be a roming reporter who specialises in financial stories (and who writes rather poorly!).

How ironic!!!!

by This guy's my hero.reply 12605/18/2013

[quote]If he refuses, you ask to be refunded.

You can ask all you want, you will not get a refund. You might get moved to a different, and not necessarily better seat, but you will not get a refund.

Oddly enough, if you made a stink about the situation, you would probably have a better chance of being evicted than the person using the cellphone.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12705/18/2013

r127, I have no idea about the theatre world, but wouldn't the threat of social media exposure affect how management handled it?

I'd rather deal with the rude cell user or refund, than risk a negative blog/tweet, etc. that goes viral.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12805/18/2013

LOL @ R121. Thanks, I sometimes forget where I am.

Don't misunderstand, I hate the talkers/cell phone users. I've often wondered why people pay to talk or text in theatres, when they could do it at home for free. I just didn't agree the solution (if it even happened).

[quote]I am not defending his homophobia. I am saying it is not relevant to how I feel about his behavior in the theater.

By this logic, we should all be able to enjoy Anita Bryant's reputedly lovely singing voice, irrespective of her beliefs.

And, perhaps, in a perfect world, it would work that way. But I couldn't watch a Mel Gibson movie--even if any of them appealed to me--due to his racism, misogyny, homophobia, and general douchey personality.

I can't even tolerate Tom Cruise's (few) good films, due to my feelings about him as a person.

Most people simply can't appreciate the works/deeds of those we find repugnant on a personal level.

by This guy's my hero.reply 12905/18/2013

R129 : Sits at home in his mother's basement watching Road Runner cartoons with his thumb up his happy ass.

by This guy's my hero.reply 13005/18/2013

[quote]Most people simply can't appreciate the works/deeds of those we find repugnant on a personal level.

That is not true. Most people are not as petty as you.

by This guy's my hero.reply 13105/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.