Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Working at a job where nobody cares about "inappropriate" comments

After spending years working for large corporations I'm now at a small company what doesn't have an HR department and things are very causal to say the least.

My boss made a crack about some customers who are dick and I blurted out "Hey some of us like dicks." Everybody laughs. Nobody gets offended.

I know I'm in trouble if I ever get another corporate job.

Does anybody else work at a place where they don't stress over of the normal HR BS?

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

Yes. I had one job I was at for three years and everyone was so laid back, cussed, and we all got along great. They were also pro-gay and I felt very comfortable there.

Then I got a new job at another place, and it was like stepping back into the 50's. The people were that creepy fake-nice that you see on TV shows from the 50's, nobody got mad or cursed, and it was very conservative. Hated that place and only stayed there two years.

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2013

I used to work for a large fashion designer, and EVERYONE could have been arrested for sexual harassment. We all had vulgar mouths, made inappropriate comments, and said off colour comments. All of it was in gest, and everyone took it that way. No one was ever offended, and we got along great. I haven't been there in 20 years -- I'm an artist now -- but I hope it's still the same way.

by Anonymousreply 205/17/2013

Same here. Used to work for a large ad agency (Saatchi & Saatchi), where you really had to censor yourself. At a much smaller company now, where everyone is refreshingly cool with innocuous sexual references, innuendo, and double entendre. Nice to be able to let your hair down and not worry that anything you say may offend somebody.

by Anonymousreply 305/17/2013

I work at a job like that. I can't imagine it any other way

by Anonymousreply 405/17/2013

Ever worked at a restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 505/17/2013

[quote]All of it was in gest

Surely you jest.

by Anonymousreply 605/17/2013

This is advertising in general. I worked at BBDO for years and we all talked like truck drivers and made inappropriate comments. Like it became common knowledge at one point that I thought my boss was hot (he was - total handsome daddy with a swagger) so he would make comments about it every once in awhile. Like when an account manager told him our ideas sucked for this one project, he announced to a roomful of people "well i dont give a shit cuz SO and SO" meaning me "thinks im hot."

He also never wore underwear (swoon) and people would bust his chops non-stop about it. And when my female art director partner was getting angry in a meeting she'd say things like "i know you all think im a complete fucking cunt, but im sick of the schedule changes on this thing..."

And more than a few of us had several crazy nights where we ended up blowing coke together.

Oh, and a married *really* upper tier executive there jerked off in front of me in the Equinox steam room.

Good times!

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2013

OP must work at the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2013

I've never worked in a setting like this, but I think I could really like it. I think these types of work places are unusual in that they require incredible flexible (as in not concrete thinkers) and kind of thick-skinned people. A culture like that is built up over time and selects for those who can tolerate it. (i.e. understanding what is sexual harassment and what isn't malicious). In the end, it takes a certain amount of trust in and respect or your colleagues for an environment like this to function and understand that "inappropriate" comments aren't personal.

What if there's a situation where there's some really egregious or damaging behavior? Can settings like this self-police? That might be a concern

by Anonymousreply 905/17/2013

This may sound wonderful to some of you, but there is usually someone in the workplace who is offended and you won't know it until the lawsuit is filed. I must have interviewed 100's of employees at numerous small workplaces who are all surprised that so-and-so was offended by jokes about gays, women, the disabled--hey it was all done in jest!!!

Just remember when workplaces were majority straight white males, they also enjoyed the culture where they could crack jokes, swear, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1005/17/2013

I worked at a small construction company where we smoked our tits off and where, men and women, had major gutter mouth. As en example, I was once making coffee for a meeting and the owner told me to "get one of the cunts to do it."

Once you're in an environment like that, it's hard to break bad habits. I've since left that job and now work at even smaller company which was once pretty uptight, at least as far as cuss words. Not so much anymore thanks in large part to me.

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2013

OP = Mac at Paddy's Bar

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013

true r10, but in some industries it will always be endemic to the culture - like advertising or Hollywood. in those instances, it's a simple fact that you will get nowhere if you are thin skinned and cant roll with how unorthodox it is.

the ones who cant deal self-select out rather than try to change it from within via lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 1305/17/2013

[quote]As en example, I was once making coffee for a meeting and the owner told me to "get one of the cunts to do it."

Owner's like that deserve to be sued.

by Anonymousreply 1405/17/2013

r14 --some of them are, and they all say they were just joking, that someone was being thin-skinned. Ever notice when the slur/joke is aimed at someone who is "not us", they are being thin-skinned; when it is at "us" it's derogatory.

by Anonymousreply 1505/17/2013

So true, R15. I was a huge Howard Stern fan for many years and it always amazed me when listeners would call up and complain that they were offended by this or that. It was always something that affected them personally. These were long time Stern fans, so sometimes Howard questioned them about other, much worse things he's joked about. They never had a problem with anything else. But they would go batshit if he, heaven forbid, made a joke about autistic kids---because "I have an autistic child."

by Anonymousreply 1605/17/2013

The Trucking Industry owns this.

Business meetings are held in strip bars.

by Anonymousreply 1705/17/2013

I should qualify my statement about Saatchi & Saatchi. The team I worked on was very straight-laced, so I followed suit, which was tough because I'm a total case of arrested development. I'm not comfortable around serious people. The art department was my haven for fun. One day I asked one of the art guys how his weekend was, and he responded that he spent Saturday night shaving his gf's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 1805/17/2013

Police, fire, military, medicine, anyone who works in a field where life and death are at stake tends to develop a rather... rough sense of humor.

But of course, even policemen and ER nurses have to know when to keep their manners professional.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.