Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ocular rosacea

I'm reasonably sure this is a topic never discussed here. Both my brother and mother have recently been diagnosed with it, and they're getting conflicting advice from doctors on it. One wanted to put my mom on antibiotics for their antiinflammatory effect, but that seems like a fucking *terrible* idea.

Anyone else have this disease/disorder/whatever? Any advice? (Also, any advice on general rosacea? My mom's dermatologist wanted to put her on some antibiotic cream that costs $250 per *bottle* (and a small bottle at that), which isn't covered by her insurance. Surely there's a homeopathic means of dealing with it. She already wears SPF 50 sunscreen on her face daily, which helps somewhat.)

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013

Rosacea -- aka "The Curse of the Celts"

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2013

not sure about creams, but my mother pretty completely cleared up hers by cutting out red wine, brown bread and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 205/17/2013

R2, that's great, except my mom never drinks red wine and almost never eats brown bread or cheese. Btw my brother apparently has a rare case of ocular rosacea *without* accompanying facial rosacea.

by Anonymousreply 305/17/2013

Yes, I have this and would love to know how to treat it.

by Anonymousreply 405/17/2013

Buy some Deep Woods Off wipes and use them on the face. Sometimes its caused by mites

by Anonymousreply 505/17/2013

interesting r5

by Anonymousreply 605/17/2013

[quote] Surely there's a homeopathic means of dealing with it.

So why would you come to a gay gossip messageboard instead of googling "homeopathic ocular rosacea"?

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2013

Facial mites may also be dealth with using one of these:

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2013

I have it very bad. They need to use sulfur soap for the "acne effect". They will need to get zinc oxide powder and mix it in the palm with water as a skin application. The over the counter creme "Prosacea" actually helps.

Finally I use alcohol based hand sanitizer from Walgreens several times a week to kill the mites. They are real.

All of this works - you have to be patient.

by Anonymousreply 905/17/2013

Go to Paula's Choice and try some of her products. Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 1005/17/2013

Paula's products are very expensive - what have they done for you? It seems to me you could get all of these things for less than $20.00 rather than the the $92.00 they list the products at. No everyone reported good results on their site. Of course this is true of any treatment - the same thing doesn't work for everybody. I go to the Rosacea blog to read what people are saying. I have tried so many things. I put a link to the blog below. Rosacea is simply horrible, I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2013

Buy a bottle of extra virgin olive oil. Dan it on your face with a cotton ball before you go to bed

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013

Olive oil could increase your mite infestation, they thrive on oil and oily skin. I think I have read the only oils to use are tea oil and peppermint oil, those kill mites I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

Some believe the mites are the true source of rosacea, there are tens of thousands of them on your face, the colony explodes in population and then the mites die in your pores, causing an infection and allergic reaction. They eat the dead cells and love your skin oil.

by Anonymousreply 1305/17/2013

If you believe in homeopathic treatments, just go for flipping a coin, wishing on a star or tossing a coin into the fountain.

by Anonymousreply 1405/17/2013

When you've got it you will use whatever works homeopathic, drugs anything. Rosacea is terrible, if you don't have it, be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 1505/17/2013

Try Mario Badescu, the Control Cream is excellent, as is the Azulene Calming Mask. My rosacea flares up with stress and the last time it happened the whole of my face was red, flaky and itchy, particularly my eyelids. Numerous different treatments did nothing. Two days of using the cream and mask and it was almost completely healed. Good luck to your mom and brother, I hope they find something that works for them.

by Anonymousreply 1605/17/2013

Ocular Rosacea is a miserable condition, which I have. I can only tell you what works for me. Because of a bad GI system, I can only tolerate liquid antibiotic. My Dr. prescribes Vibramycin 50mg/5ml syrup 2 tsp twice a day. I cycle on & off of this. I also use bro franc eye drops, He prescribes for me. Also I must clean my eyelids 2 times a day, with diluted baby shampoo on a Q tip, which gets rid of all the scales in the lashes. I have not found any natural cures, myself. I think without insurance, it is going to be hard to get it under control. Have they tried using Walmart ti fill prescriptions? Have they joined a pharmacy like Wallgreens prescription club? I am sure there are cheaper generic antibiotic pills they could get.

by Anonymousreply 1705/17/2013

I thought I had the answer, too. Something might appear to work for a few weeks and then it's back. As you can see from reading these posts people are discouraged and willing to spend money with the hopes of something working. Go to the rosacea support blog and read about some of the wild - even insane - things people will do to fight it. Some folks are obsessed with the mites and fighting them like it's a war.

by Anonymousreply 1805/17/2013

OP Check with the manufacturer. Sometimes they have programs for uninsured patients. My eye drops are $175 but I get them through such a program for $30.

by Anonymousreply 1905/17/2013

Metrogel cleared mine up, but I had a very mild case.

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2013

Second using baby wash on a Q-tip to clean your eyelids for ocular rosacea. It's helped me a lot.

Anytime it's windy, or just if I'm going to be walking a lot, I'll wear glasses, which cuts down on irritation.

Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 2105/17/2013

I use "Laser Free Resurfacer" by Peter Thomas Roth (you can get it at Nordstroms). It doesn't get rid of rosacea, but it definitely tones down the red. It's about $75 but it's the best over the counter product I've ever used. Metrogel did nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 2205/17/2013

[quote]So why would you come to a gay gossip messageboard instead of googling "homeopathic ocular rosacea"?

Suck my left nut, R7. I actually trust DLers *more* on this particular topic (a medical issue, but not a critical one) than some of the crazies on the homeopathic boards.

by Anonymousreply 2305/17/2013

Yikes! (at reading some of these responses) My mom and brother have pretty mild cases, thankfully, but I guess they could certainly worsen over time. They both have insurance, but this one cream my mom's doc prescribed wasn't covered (and again, it was only one type of thing). Neither of them has tried eye drops. I'll pass along all the recommendations -- thanks everyone!

by Anonymousreply 2405/17/2013

Thanks to auto correct the eye drops are not correct, they are bromfenac.

by Anonymousreply 2505/17/2013

It sounds so horrible! How did DL let you in here?

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.