Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

As an American, I don't think I could visit this place without getting depressed over what we did.

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2015

Don't forget--all the people we killed are dead.

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2013

I've been there on vacation. If I were to indulge in stereotypes, I would say that Vietnamese are the canniest, most capitalistic people I've ever met. No surprise to me that they aced the French, the Americans, and the Chinese---they're SMART.

Lots of GIs there on trip with their families--was surprised to see that.

Also surprising how rural the country is....You drive in from the airport in Hanoi and it's clear that this is still a third world country in many ways.

Only 5 or 6 percent of the Vietnamese are over 65, i.e., many of those who fought in or were victims of the war are dead.

by Anonymousreply 205/17/2013

I hear it's beautiful. And that "communism" in Vietnam isn't as pervasive as the West feared it would be. Many Vietnamese still call Ho Chi Minh City "Saigon."

And I've met more than a few hot Vietnamese guys.

by Anonymousreply 305/17/2013

As a Vietnamese American who has gone back twice, I'd say unless you're an especially sensitive person I think you'd be fine. Yes, it's a poor country but the people are thriving. I felt no malice towards the U.S. when i was there.

The majority of the population have no first hand memories of the war because as r1 pointed out the people killed are dead. Still I found it interesting to seek out some of the places you can see the war from the Vietnamese perspective such as the Cu Chi tunnels and the propaganda museum.

by Anonymousreply 405/17/2013

What'd we do?

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2015

[quote]As an American, I don't think I could visit this place without getting depressed over what we did.

Did you say that as you drove by an Indian reservation?

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2015

You so Mary.

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2015

I have traveled in Viet Nam several times over the years. One conclusion I have reached is about every single person you meet wants to be taken to the USA. Preferably Orange County. They love Americans there.

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2015

I saw Miss Saigon and I don't understand the problem. Plenty of whoors, plenty of cheap drinks, plenty of women to do your laundry. What was the problem?

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2015

How compassionate of you, OP. How do you think the Vietnam Vets feel, many of whom we forced, because of the draft, to fight a war, fresh out of high school, only to return home, and become the objects of protests, scorn, and ridicule?

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2015

Here's an idea. Don't go, you piss head.

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!