Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Office" Finale

Does nobody care? I thought there would be a thread about it by now. It aired last night. Michael Scott came back and stole the entire show.

by Anonymousreply 8605/29/2013

I watched it although I seldom watched the show. I thought it was well done but too much Pam and (the guy she married).

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2013

It was funny and a nice send-off. Where was Bob Vance, Phyllis' husband? But I loved her trying to fatten up Stanley's replacement. And no Holly or Jan!

by Anonymousreply 205/17/2013

The very brief Michael Scott scenes were unquestionably the highlight of the show. His appearance in the doorway was pretty much a perfect scene.

by Anonymousreply 305/17/2013

I thought it was fine. But last week's episode was one of the all time best. AND it concluded the show perfectly. Seriously, if they called it quits after last week's show they would have had one of the all time great finales. This was pleasant, but not nearly as moving or funny. Or fitting.

That said, "That's what she said" was quite welcome.

by Anonymousreply 405/17/2013

Far too sentimental for me.

by Anonymousreply 505/17/2013

Of course it ended with a wedding. Of course. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 605/17/2013

Bob Vance was seen sitting with Phyllis, but I can't remember if it was at the wedding or not. I thought Michael's inclusion was perfect. A couple of great lines but otherwise they let the rest of the cast shine.

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2013

Really? I hated it. The scenes with Ellie Kemper and Joan Cusack, and Catherine Tate and the baby were amateurish bullshit. If the writing had been that bad in season one, this nine year finale never would've happened.

The series finale was appropriate, though, in that it reflected the show quite well. It ran way too long, gave unnecessary prominence to uninteresting characters, and made you wonder when it would just end already.

What a tragic misuse of Steve Carrell last night. The show was bad for years before he left, but when he did and the show refocused its energies on the charmless Ed Helms, it became unwatchable.

Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2013

Flat out the best series finale of all time. I hope it's Emmys all around for the best television I've seen in decades. I literally gave it a tearful standing ovation and blubbered out a "bravo!" I went straight to bed afterward because I didn't want anything to marr the perfection I was feeling at that moment. When I awoke it wasn't with sadness that something I loved had ended, but with a stirring pride in my heart that only comes from witnessing a job well done.

by Anonymousreply 905/17/2013

I has gotten rave reviews, but I found it sentimental and trite.

by Anonymousreply 1005/17/2013

R9 gave me the biggest laugh I've had in months. Thank you R9!

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2013

R8, you don't have a heart. The bit with Joan Cusack was very moving.

This was a good finale and cleverly written in that those of us like myself who didn't watch the last two seasons didn't feel lost.

The Michael Scott bit was perfect. The show should have ended the moment he got on that plane.

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013

I may not have a heart, but I can tell shitty high school Creative Writing class writing when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 1305/17/2013

I loved it, and blubbered like a bitch when I saw Michael standing in that doorway. So what.

by Anonymousreply 1405/17/2013

I thought it mostly sucked but I did like the bits with Michael Scott and Ryan & Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 1505/17/2013

Bullshit, R8/R13. Yours is a minority opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1605/17/2013

I liked it. Glad they finally put it out of it's misery though. Some very funny bits.

The showed ALOT of restraint with Michael, which is usually not their thing.

by Anonymousreply 1705/17/2013

I completely forgot about it. I'll Hulu it probably sometime next week.

by Anonymousreply 1805/17/2013

I loved it, but it really should have ended with season 7. This has been a terrible season. Probably the worst season. Season 4 was pretty awful, as was season 8. Seasons 2,3 and 5 are brilliant.

Anyway, I thought Erin meeting her mom was a good moment. I just wish they didnt throw the dad in there, too.

I think Michael had the line of the night with: "I feel like all my kids grew up and married each other."

by Anonymousreply 1905/17/2013

I thought last season was awful and this season rebounded quite nicely.

I had high hopes for the finale but was disappointed. Not by a lot. But enough. It did that thing some sitcom finales do. It leaned to heavy on sentiment on not enough on comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2013

It may not have been at its peak, but I enjoyed The Office all the way to the end. I'll miss it and its' cast of characters.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

Would one of you bitches at least say what happened instead of all this meaningless "loved it" "hated it" tripe? Gawd save me from stupid silly queens.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

[quote]Would one of you bitches at least say what happened instead of all this meaningless "loved it" "hated it" tripe? Gawd save me from stupid silly queens.

If you're interested in knowing what happened, here's an easy solution: watch it.

Whiny asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

R22, it was a year later. Everyone got together for reunion of the commentary and Dwight and Angela's wedding. Erin's mom and dad were at the q&a. Michael was Dwight's best man. Ryan and Kelly hooked up again. Jim and Pam sold their house nd we're going to move to Austin so Zjim could focus on Athleap.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

I wonder who the Scranton strangler was? What a waste of writing if they weren't going to follow thro. Also, Meredith is the one who stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013

Stanley retired.

Kevin was fired and bought a bar.

Meredith got her phD during the run f the show, but it was edited out.

Darryl was working for Athleap and I looked like he might get with the girl from the warehouse.

Nellie kidnapped a baby and took it out of the country.

Oscar was running for the state senate.

Creed was on the run. But living in the office.

Andy's failed acapella audition went viral and he came n embarrassment. But fans of The Office documentary loved Andy.

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013

R4 are you talking about the episode that ended with everyone dancing with Daryl as a goodbye? Man, that was lame.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

r25, there was an episode in which Toby visited the convicted Scranton Strangler in prison to tell him he thought he'd been wrongly convicted, and the guy tried to strangle him.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

Creed's Grass Roots roots were revealed.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

I chuckled at Meredith's son showing up as the stripper for Angela's bachelorette party.

Not so much at the set up, but it was funny when Meredith pushed him out of the way to show him how to properly grind in Angela's face.

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

Also loved Toby's downward spiral, and the suggestion that he had been stalking Nellie.

Agree with those who say it was overly sentimental. A little too much goo goo Pam stuff. And it was weird how Dwight became essentially beloved by all after acting like a lunatic for nine seasons.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

[quote]too much Pam and (the guy she married).

I've hated these two for song and they made me miss so many episodes. I just don't understand why I seem to be in the minority. Their courtship, wedding, baby was all targeted at fraus.

by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2013

[quote]I've hated these two for song

I've hated these two for SO LONG!

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2013

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a het courtship storyline before, but I liked Jim & Pam's. I loved when he proposed at that gas station or whatever.

Once they were settled & together they became boring of course, but who doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2013

There was a scene when they were entering the restaurant or Dwight's bachelor party where Jim's ass looked fine in jeans. I never really noticed Krasinski's butt before, but it was looking good.

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

Ha, R35. Michael Scott - Now, THERE was a butt.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

I hadn't watched at all this season so the finale was too confusing. I couldn't tell what had actually happened and what was supposed to have happened during the last year. I gave up before Steve appears. I might go back and watch it again. Truthfully, what I did see was not that impressive.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

The little baby boy was adorable.

I knew Mike would be back, but I still gasped a little when the camera slowly panned towards him, I really wasn't expecting that, sweet moment for Dwight.

The retrospective before the finale was very good. Jenna Fischer really seemed moved and emotional about it all. I don't think any of them will be the types to badmouth the show or try to disassociate themselves from their characters or their time on the show in the years to come the way some series stars end up doing.

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

I've never watched this but OMG what is that awful song they keep playing in the NBC promos? Glad this is cancelled so I don't have to keep hearing that shit song over and over when I'm watching something else.

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2013

[quote]The retrospective before the finale was very good.

It was, but it was rather self-congratulatory. Oh, our writing was so great! Oh, our cast was so great!

Oh, we were great for every season! We are wrapping this Citizen Kane of TV up at the perfect time!

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2013

I loved the show for most of its run, but I almost feel sorry for most of the supporting cast, who we are unlikely to see again unless we go to a Comic-Con type convention and see them sitting next to Pamela Sue Martin and Margot Kidder!

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

On the special before the finale, the Executive Producer sorta slammed the whole cast saying: "We didn't want a cast with beautiful Hollywood types -- we wanted people who looked like they were from Scranton."

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2013

R42 reminds me of an old Simpsons where a soap opera producer yells at the casting director for casting Moe on the show: "I don't want ugly-ugly! I want TV-ugly!"

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2013

I'll miss the hottest character…..David, the Big Boss. What I wouldn't have done to him for a promotion!

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2013

I want Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island ugly, not Cornelius from Planet of the Apes ugly...

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2013

When did David Wallace come back to Dunder Mifflin? Last I remember he'd left and then made a bunch of money off of his toy vacuum invention. Then he showed up on the penultimate episode and promoted Dwight to manager. What did I miss?

by Anonymousreply 4605/20/2013

[quote]Last I remember he'd left and then made a bunch of money off of his toy vacuum invention.

And Andy convinced him to buy Dunder Mifflin.

by Anonymousreply 4705/20/2013

Oooooh...now I remember! Thank you, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2013

R43 and R45 cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 4905/20/2013

Agree as to the over-sentimentality, but it had some nice touches. I like that Michael came back, but it didn't become "The Michael Scott Show". We find out he has kids, but that's really it. It was more of an extended cameo with a couple lines than a real return.

I also like that Angela become less of a shrew once she was together with Dwight.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2013

Why didn't Holly return?

Kevin buying and running a bar was over the top since he was depicted as an idiot and got fired for incompetence. It was too out of character for him.

What about Plop and the guy who sounds just like Michael J. Fox? Did Plop end up with receptionist?

I didn't like that Creed was arrested and no one seemed to care. O loved Creed. I get it was supposed to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

r35 his ass was looking so hot in those jeans! Also in the limo there was a great shot of his crotch and meaty thighs.

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

When they took the big "office photo" at the party in the warehouse, they made a big deal about the "PBS" people getting into the shot, and how it should just be "people who worked in the office". I assume those "PBS" people were actually the behind-the-scenes people of The Office, which is kind of cute. Anyone know for sure?

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013

"I lived" by onerepublic

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

Yes, r53, there were staff in that scene as well as the Q&A scene. All the people who asked the cast questions were behind the scenes folks with the exception of Jennie Tan. She was the lady that asked Pam what she planned to do for Jim after he made her the DVD. Jennie Tan runs one of the largest "Office" fan sites, and Greg Daniels wrote that part for her after she asked to be a background extra in the finale.

Producer Greg Daniels is the guy standing next to Pam in the warehouse photo scene who Pam tells "I meant just people from the office." The guy taking the staff photo is Kate Flannery's (Meredith) real life husband.

by Anonymousreply 5505/21/2013

No - couldn't care less.

Loved the UK original. Have tried to watch the US version, but it is so watered down and repetitive by comparison. I don't understand how they've managed to keep it going so long.

by Anonymousreply 5605/21/2013

[quote]Loved the UK original. Have tried to watch the US version, but it is so watered down and repetitive by comparison. I don't understand how they've managed to keep it going so long.

They didn't. It should have stopped after several seasons.

But it is such a cliche for people to prefer the UK version. I actually think the US version was better written and acted, but it stayed on the air too long.

by Anonymousreply 5705/21/2013

So Ricky Gervais' creation was "better written" by someone else? I think not.

I be fair, many Americans just don't get English humour. Something that appears "less well written and acted" may just not be understood by people from another culture. The US version had to be watered down (made more like a formulaic American sitcom) to make it more palatable to US audiences. Hence, I hate it and you love it.

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2013

Thanks very much, R55!

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2013

[quote]So Ricky Gervais' creation was "better written" by someone else? I think not.

I'm just surprised you think at all, as you don't seem to get that there is a difference between the creation of a concept and its execution.

And don't patronize me. I am English; so I get English humor.

by Anonymousreply 6005/21/2013

Thanks, r55! Great post! Any other interesting bits you can think of to share?

by Anonymousreply 6105/21/2013

The creation of the concept and its execution were very intertwined in this case. Would a description of the concept have carried any weight on it's own?

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013

[quote]Would a description of the concept have carried any weight on it's own?

What a silly question. Of course, it could. In the right hands.

Some people are great idea people, but can't put an episode, much less a series, together without a lot of help.

Just for the record: I think the UK show was very well executed, but that wasn't because everyone who comes up with a great concept can execute it well.

by Anonymousreply 6305/21/2013

The first episodes, maybe even the whole first season, I don't remember, were exact takes of the UK version. Same script, same number of characters, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6405/21/2013

The first season of the American version struggled.

It wasn't until the second season that it hit its stride.

But once it get a head of steam, I found it more nuanced than the UK version.

by Anonymousreply 6505/21/2013

My question was to do with Ricky Gervais and the UK Office. RG's concept would have been worth nothing without the execution.

Of course, in other spheres the concept can be incredibly significant on its own, but we're only talking about the office here.

And for the record: the acting in the US Office is fine. Steve Carrell is generally a good comic actor/comedian. I just don't like the US version much.

by Anonymousreply 6605/21/2013

I thought Carell was the weak link. He mugged a lot and played the role broader than the rest of the cast.

But when he left, the show went to total shit.

by Anonymousreply 6705/21/2013

I didn't like the show when it first came out - it hit uncomfortably close to home. I worked in an office environment much like that.

I started watching in the 2nd or 3rd season and grew to love it.

I agree that Steve Carrell played Michael a bit over the top but there was some funny shit over the years. "Race for the Cure, the Run Against Rabies" and when all those high school kids thought he was paying for them all to go to college. Those were great episodes.

They didn't mention Holly at all. I hope Michael and Holly didn't break up, those two goofballs were perfect together. I'd like to think she stayed behind to watch the kids, and she didn't really know Dwight and Angela all that well.

We'll see if the show holds up in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 6805/21/2013

I haven't been happy with most of the past two seasons, but I thought the finale was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 6905/21/2013

The Michael character could've have been reined in a bit, but I think Andy and Kevin could've been reined in a lot and the show would've been much better.

by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2013

Michael, Kevin and Andy were played as if they were mentally-challenged children.

by Anonymousreply 7105/21/2013

Jan was my favorite part of the series, I was sad not to see her in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 7205/21/2013

Even as a Mega Fan, I still had my own criticisms of this season, particularly how Kevin's character went from poker genius to borderline retarded, and the whole "Pam and Brian the sound guy" subplot/red herring/waste of screen time. Greg Daniels said in multiple interviews this year that this being the final season meant for him that he would take characters into some weird territory and he wasn't kidding.

That said, he is very invested in making fans happy and has referenced fan stuff in the show, which is a very nice thing to see. The DVD that Jim made for Pam was modeled on a compilation a fan made and put on Youtube. The producers even used the same music from the fan video. One of the reasons I love the show as I do is that everyone involved seems to really enjoy working together and it has a family vibe. Some of them are actual family, some are BFFs (Angela and Oscar, Mindy and BJ Novak). I guess I'm just a sentimental fool.

Anyway, Jennie Tan's site has the motherlode of great tidbits, trivia, interviews, etc. It's called OfficeTally. Look for "Kevin's" favorite episodes - there's a great story about filming the open when he dropped the pot of chili and fell in it.

by Anonymousreply 7305/21/2013

[quote]I loved the show for most of its run, but I almost feel sorry for most of the supporting cast, who we are unlikely to see again unless we go to a Comic-Con type convention and see them sitting next to Pamela Sue Martin and Margot Kidder!

They had a good run, better than most Hollywood-looking actors. 9 seasons is no joke.

by Anonymousreply 7405/22/2013

[quote]But it is such a cliche for people to prefer the UK version. I actually think the US version was better written and acted, but it stayed on the air too long.

I agree, the US version is better in every way, except it should've ended with Michael Scott's departure a couple of seasons ago. Better show, better written, better acted and the characters were more relatable.

[quote]And don't patronize me. I am English; so I get English humor.

Then check your spelling. I agree with your post btw, and English humour isn't as hard to get as some make out.

by Anonymousreply 7505/22/2013

[quote]The guy taking the staff photo is Kate Flannery's (Meredith) real life husband.

Kate Flannery doesn't have a husband. She is single. She has a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 7605/22/2013

I had no time for Jim and Pam. Michael and Jan were my more my thing and they provided real laughs.

by Anonymousreply 7705/22/2013

Yum

by Anonymousreply 7805/22/2013

Yes, please!

by Anonymousreply 7905/22/2013

[quote]The first episodes, maybe even the whole first season, I don't remember, were exact takes of the UK version. Same script, same number of characters, etc.

No, only the first episode was.

by Anonymousreply 8005/22/2013

David Brent was a such a fully realized and precise comic and satirical creation, I don't think the American show could ever compete with it, despite how funny Steve Carell is. Michael's personality never really made sense the way Brent's did.

However, I think the other characters were better in the American version, though I tired of Dwight as the show went on. I like Martin Freeman a lot but Tim and Dawn never compared to Jim and Pam IMO.

by Anonymousreply 8105/22/2013

I thought the finale was excellent. It was a sweet. One of the best things about The Office was their ability to be funny and sentimental at the same time. I'm going to miss that.

by Anonymousreply 8205/22/2013

[quote] However, I think the other characters were better in the American version, though I tired of Dwight as the show went on. I like Martin Freeman a lot but Tim and Dawn never compared to Jim and Pam IMO.

Well it's really apples and oranges to me, when you consider the British version was less than twenty episodes. If it was on for 200 like the American version, the British sitcom would've had to flesh out its characters more.

by Anonymousreply 8305/24/2013

And yet despite the limited number of episodes I was able to decide I preferred David Brent to Michael Scott.

by Anonymousreply 8405/29/2013

[quote] And yet despite the limited number of episodes I was able to decide I preferred David Brent to Michael Scott.

Well duh this is R83's point. If Brent was on for 100 plus episodes they would've had to flesh out his character more and more and it would have taken his edge off and made him more sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 8505/29/2013

Since someone linked two pics where we get a look at Krasinski's thighs and crotch in those jeans, we need a look at his ass as well, since posters were saying that looked great, too!

by Anonymousreply 8605/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.