Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Debra Winger

Tell us stories of her being evil and nasty to people!!!!

by D. Mametreply 13905/22/2013

She is as sweet as the day is long.

by D. Mametreply 105/17/2013

Cray cray.

by D. Mametreply 205/17/2013

Granted, she's at least a little odd, but we've always had fun when we've been able to spend an evening together.

by D. Mametreply 305/17/2013

That's PROFESSOR Winger, peasants.

by D. Mametreply 405/17/2013

It's nice that she's confident enough to not bother with her appearance. She could easily be mistaken for a bag woman, but she doesn't care. Admirable:

by D. Mametreply 505/17/2013

She care enough about her appearance to get a bad dye job.

by D. Mametreply 605/17/2013

She just needs a trim

by D. Mametreply 705/17/2013

She was never nasty to regular, everyday people. It was always a co-star or director.

My roommate was an editor on a documentary she did. He'd go up to her house in Bedford Hills I think? Anyway, he said she was awesome and couldn't have been cooler.

Take that for what it's worth.

by D. Mametreply 805/17/2013

Would love to see the unedited version of "Mike's Murder" - I think the director's boyfriend has the footage.

by D. Mametreply 905/17/2013

I wonder what real deal happened with the Anarchist and who was feuding with who. Patti usually spills, but so far has been rather tight lipped

by D. Mametreply 1005/17/2013

I was waiting in line at that Egyptian temple thing at the Met with these two people who were talking about "The Anarchist" last November and they were saying how dreadful it was.

by D. Mametreply 1105/17/2013

The play was a total bore. Cannot stand Patti, she's such a tool.

by D. Mametreply 1205/17/2013

[quote]I wonder what real deal happened with the Anarchist and who was feuding with who. Patti usually spills, but so far has been rather tight lipped

No one was feuding, there was tension because the play was terrible, unfinished and being worked on everyday, right up to curtain.

by D. Mametreply 1305/17/2013

I used to wait on her during and after her marriage to Timothy Hutton. She was always unpleasant. Sometimes it was mild, but often times not mild. She seemed to have trouble interacting with anyone. Grim-faced, hostile, and mildly threatening, all while being ugly. What a catch!

by D. Mametreply 1405/17/2013

[quote]I was waiting in line at that Egyptian temple thing at the Met

Somehow, I don't find your insights compelling.

by D. Mametreply 1505/17/2013

Her farts stank.

by D. Mametreply 1605/17/2013

I really like her in "Urban Cowboy" - "I like my tuna salad with onion, not apples and pecans! [spits out on fork]

by D. Mametreply 1705/17/2013

She should have had Streep's career. I don't think she was suited for or wanted that sort of big level stardom.

by D. Mametreply 1805/17/2013

she was too honest and cray-cray to play the Hollywood game.

by D. Mametreply 1905/17/2013

My pussy itches real bad....damn.

by D. Mametreply 2005/17/2013

"Cray cray" is not something adults say. Stop it, you fools.

by D. Mametreply 2105/17/2013

I loved her voice.

by D. Mametreply 2205/17/2013

Bipolar at least, if not something worse.

by D. Mametreply 2305/17/2013

And we now know it was Shirl who was the real bitch, she's bitchy to everyone including her own daughter.

by D. Mametreply 2405/17/2013

A hundred years ago, she was a fun pothead.

I have no idea what/who she is now.

by D. Mametreply 2505/17/2013

She's bi-polar. Do the math.

by D. Mametreply 2605/17/2013

I think fun potheads turn into bipolars

by D. Mametreply 2705/17/2013

[quote]Bipolar at least, if not something worse.

what? like Tri-polar?

do you understand the basics of psychiatry?

by D. Mametreply 2805/17/2013

r28 sounds like Tom Cruise

by D. Mametreply 2905/17/2013

You can bet tri-polar is coming!

by D. Mametreply 3005/17/2013

I read You'll Never Nanny in this Town Again and the nanny loooved Debra and made me love her too. Funny down to earth and kind. I was relieved to hear it after you vipers tore her down.

by D. Mametreply 3105/17/2013

Loved her. She was one of the most natural actresses ever. The Jeff Bridges kind of relaxed. Too bad she couldn't work within the system.

by D. Mametreply 3205/17/2013

"I really like her in "Urban Cowboy" - "I like my tuna salad with onion, not apples and pecans! [spits out on fork]"

Acually she likes her tuna salad with apples and pecans, NOT onions.

It's hard to believe, looking at her now, that she was considered quite a hot piece at one time. But even back then she was an acquired taste. I can't remember which movie it was (it was either Urban Cowboy or An Officer and A Gentleman), but the director of the film was hesitant to cast her because he didn't think it was plausible that any guy would want to fuck her.

She was heavily into coke during her heydey, which partially accounted for her crazy behavior. She also seemed to have some kind of mental illness. She always seems hostile. On "Inside the Actor's Studio" she was asked some innocuous question and she snapped "I refuse to answer that." She's definitely not easy to get along with.

by D. Mametreply 3305/17/2013

Well, she went to a psychiatrist on In Treatment.

by D. Mametreply 3405/17/2013

"She should have had Streep's career."

Uh, no. She is a very, very different kind of actress from Streep. She never would have had a career approaching Meryl Streep's.

by D. Mametreply 3505/17/2013

Debra Winger was a very seventies-style actress. It was too bad her career was in the eighties.

by D. Mametreply 3605/17/2013

Bitch. She squeezed my left tit. HARD.

by D. Mametreply 3705/17/2013

I loved her in Black Widow with Thersea Russell.

by D. Mametreply 3805/17/2013

I could see her cuntiness from space!

by D. Mametreply 3905/17/2013

we don't have no apples and pecans because you ain't been shopping

by D. Mametreply 4005/18/2013

[quote]Uh, no. She is a very, very different kind of actress from Streep. She never would have had a career approaching Meryl Streep's.

I understand that. I meant that she should have had a big career with lots of accolades. Not that she should have gotten the same sort of parts as Streep.

I think she's a lot more fun to watch than Streep--more natural, not as click click click-y.

by D. Mametreply 4105/18/2013

Winger was white hot then white cold. I don't think she could have sustained very long without trying. Burned a lot of bridges. Click click click is so Hepburn by the way. Public hated her for long stretches.

by D. Mametreply 4205/18/2013

R39 gets a WW !

by D. Mametreply 4305/18/2013

Streep fans are so damn annoying! Acting like Meryl is some beauty on the level of a Loren or Taylor. It's hard to imagine any straight guy would want to fuck Streep! There I said it!

by D. Mametreply 4505/18/2013

[quote]It's hard to imagine any straight guy would want to fuck Streep! There I said it!

Do you know any gossip about Don Gummer that we don't?

by D. Mametreply 4605/18/2013

Winger is nowhere near Streep's league. To suggest so is ludicrous.

[quote]Click click click is so Hepburn by the way. Public hated her for long stretches.

Indeed. She was the GOOP of her day.

[quote]Acting like Meryl is some beauty on the level of a Loren or Taylor.

I think she's better looking than Loren, definitely. Taylor - no. But, I don't think any of the three were great beauties.

[quote] It's hard to imagine any straight guy would want to fuck Streep!

There's a difference between beauty and what straight men find sexually appealing.

by D. Mametreply 4705/18/2013

R21 needs his creme brulee NOW!

by D. Mametreply 4805/18/2013

Why, and why on DL especially, would we care about what some dumb straight guy thinks? They are programmed to desire Kim Kardashian and talk about sports. Do we have to do that, too? Should we? Should anyone?

by D. Mametreply 4905/18/2013

How about Linda Fiorentino? She's another one in the Winger mould.

by D. Mametreply 5005/18/2013

Her best role was as Wonder Girl.

by D. Mametreply 5105/18/2013

Holly Hunter stole her career.

Broadcast News, Roe V Wade and The Piano were all roles with Winger in mind.

Unfortunately she turned them all down.

by D. Mametreply 5205/18/2013

R47, which women do you consider to be "great beauties"?

by D. Mametreply 5305/18/2013

Sissy Spacek was suppose to do Urban Cowboy, but she felt working with John Travolta once was enough,

So it went to Debra.

by D. Mametreply 5405/18/2013

Although that film (Urban Cowboy) earned Winger an Oscar nomination, it also fueled rumors that she was "difficult."

"It's really not that important," she says now. "I didn't hurt anyone. I didn't, you know, kill anyone, that I know of."

Her second Oscar nod came for "Terms of Endearment," in which she played Emma, the terminally ill daughter of Aurora Greenway, played by Shirley MacLaine.

"Just in preparing for that role, did you channel your relationship with your own mom?" Smith asked.

"I don't think we want to use 'channel' in 'Terms of Endearment'!" Winger said. "I want that camera on, just 'cause I said nothing, you did everything, and I will take the hit," she laughed.

On screen, the mother/daughter sparks flew. So did off-screen rumors of real-life tension between Debra and Shirley.

"We worked together. Whatever anyone else will say and what we have said for the sake of spicy publicity …"

"Is that what it was?" Smith asked.

"Well, I think you can kind of figure it's Shirl and I. I mean, you know, we're not stupid."

"So, let's play up this conflict a little bit?" Smith asked.

"No, I don't think it was ever on purpose. But we could see that it was, like, a very easy way out of the conversation. Who wants to sit around and talk about what you did and how you worked the character and, i mean, you don't wanna sit around and talk about acting. So you just go, 'Yeah. Boy, we really dusted it up that day.' And partially, it was true. We were constantly, you know, picking at places.

"I think we did it for the right reason, to explore that relationship. And you know, none of us were hurt by it. We're both big girls."

"and maybe the end result was better because of it?"

"How could it not be?" Winger replied. "You're going somewhere you haven't been before."

"Can you dispel a myth? Did you guys actually slug each other?" Smith asked.

"Don't remember. Possible!"

"That's a good answer."

"Totally possible. Slug, no. There was no blood drawn. There might have been a scuffle. I don't remember. I mean, we were wild, you know? She's not a wilting violet. (laughter) She's tough, too."

by D. Mametreply 5505/18/2013

I never noticed it before but she actually looks a bit like Linda Carter, minus the amazon. I could see it in the video that was posted in Carter's thread and r5's pic. Casting directors at work there. Anyway, she had it all to be a movie star. I'm sure Linda was bitter.

One thing I know was she pulled out of A League of their Own due to the presence of Vadge. She was not impressed by the "stunt casting". Though this was also I believe after Vadge trashed her in A Sheltering Sky.

by D. Mametreply 5605/18/2013

Lindsay Frost (ATWT) was originally cast in Madge role. Unfortunately her brother (Mark Frost) had a pilot that got picked up and was a go. Lindsay starred in the pilot, so how could she say NO to her brother and YES to A League of their Own?

So she had to drop out of the movie and was replaced by Madge.

Fast forward 20 years, Lindsay son is now an aspiring baseball player, Lucas Giolito

by D. Mametreply 5705/18/2013

What's different about the unedited version, R9?

by D. Mametreply 5805/18/2013

Good post, R49. Straight men are a lower form of existence.

[quote][R47], which women do you consider to be "great beauties"?

Grace Kelly and Joan Collins.

by D. Mametreply 5905/18/2013

Winger's first Oscar nod was "Officer...", NOT "Urban Cowboy".

Wanna hear my "Debra Winger, you get your ass over here and sign this autograph, nobody else here even knows who you are" story again?

by D. Mametreply 6005/18/2013

I thought that was wrong r60, but it's made me more curious to see Urban Cowboy which I know has a cult following. Never even knew she was in it.

by D. Mametreply 6105/18/2013

Wish she'd come back to do more movies again... I even like her when she's playing someone unlikable. (*sigh*) --Just don't make 'em like that any more... or at least don't cast 'em.

by D. Mametreply 6205/18/2013

Streep is the sort of actress high school drama teachers adore. Also, middle-aged men with Barbie collections. Both groups are drawn by the sound of...

CLICK CLICK CLICK.

by D. Mametreply 6305/18/2013

I waited on her in a restaurant in LA Totally cool,flirty and a great sense of humor . No bitch vibe at all Shirley MacClaine,on the other hand................

by D. Mametreply 6405/18/2013

Winger's interview at r55 is completely ridiculous: first she's saying they didn't really fight all that much and blew it out of proportion to get publicity, and then she coyly admits they physically fought with one another on the set, as if that's a normal and healthy thing for two lead actors on a movie set to do.

I've always thought she's mentally ill, and this just confirms that suspicion. She's fundamentally a dishonest woman. I have always thought she's a very good actress, but I think whatever difficulties she's had in her career have all been of her own making.

by D. Mametreply 6505/18/2013

She had terrible taste in material. She probably had her reasons but the scripts she chose to do really sank her career. Everybody Wins? A Dangerous Woman?

Though I have to say one of favourite performances of hers is Cannery Row.

by D. Mametreply 6605/18/2013

[quote]Streep is the sort of actress high school drama teachers adore. Also, middle-aged men with Barbie collections. Both groups are drawn by the sound of...CLICK CLICK CLICK.

I disagree. Streep is a subtle and nuanced actor and not at all the type high school drama teachers like.

Could someone explain "click-click-click" to me? It seems to have become one the de facto sayings of Streep's detractors, alongside: "she mimics". However, I consider Hepburn one of the worst actors to ever grace the screen, so I'm almost certain I'll disagree with whatever it means.

by D. Mametreply 6705/18/2013

I've always liked Debra Winger. And one of the hottest sex escapades, if not the hottest, that I've ever seen on film, was that storyline in The Sheltering Sky where she meets that Touareg guy... Wow. Never seen anything like it.

by D. Mametreply 6805/18/2013

Agree re: The Sheltering Sky!

by D. Mametreply 6905/18/2013

I have to say, I thought Ms. Winger was pretty terrific in "Shadowlands", which I loved.

by D. Mametreply 7005/18/2013

And to think she was so damn cute as Wonder Woman's little sister.

by D. Mametreply 7105/18/2013

R69, if this was a dating site I'd hook up with you right now.

by D. Mametreply 7205/18/2013

R61, "Urban Cowboy" is weirdly fun and she is hot in it -- but I have a feeling the true difficult rep started with "Officer" when she hated Richard Gere so much, she refused to attend Oscars that year she was nominated. In "Cowboy" days, she would do kooky things like sleep in a graveyard but she wasn't the nightmare just yet.

Then again, a friend in TX worked with her as actor on that and said, quote, she was "the meanest woman he ever met", ha.

by D. Mametreply 7305/18/2013

Before she changed her name she was Debbie WAnger from Opalousas, Louisiana

by D. Mametreply 7405/18/2013

P.S. She also hated Taylor Hackford, director of "Officer" and was very vocal about it in interviews. Said there were "two directors she would never work with again, Taylor Hackford and..." Anyone remember the other one? She loved James Bridges so not him.

by D. Mametreply 7505/18/2013

Never mind, just found it... Ivan Reitman. She left CAA over pimping her out in a "package" for "Legal Eagles".

yeah yeah I know way too much about Winger but those were my hay days in Hollywood. :)

by D. Mametreply 7605/18/2013

I thought Streep bedded her male costars? That is the rumor. Hepburn did not care for her but neither did Pauline Kael. They are now both deceased and stewing in a pile of bitterness. Meryl's still on top so she did something right.

Debra Winger was great for a few years but then left and/or was not asked to be in major films anymore. I don't think she ever had the range or talent that people are imagining here.

by D. Mametreply 7705/18/2013

Debra Winger is shit actress. That's why she doesn't work anymore. Getting nominated for awards (ESPECIALLY IN THE 80's) is attributed to highly skilled publicists!

And for stories. I waited on her, too. Bossy demanding cold bitch.

by D. Mametreply 7805/18/2013

R76, stories please! You may even start your own thread if you feel the need

by D. Mametreply 7905/18/2013

Pauline Kael hated a woman who trilled.

by D. Mametreply 8005/18/2013

Pauline Kael hated herself. Sad alcoholic. She loved to both champion and attack. She told directors who to cast. Frustrated filmmaker who failed to make a movie.

by D. Mametreply 8105/18/2013

Actually, I think Winger could hold her own alongside Streep. Look what she did with what could have easily been a one note, one dimensional role in Officer and a Gentleman. Yet, she turned it into a an Oscar nominated performance on the level of something you'd see in a Truffaut movie.

You think Streep could pull off that Mechanical bull ride in Urban Cowboy?

by D. Mametreply 8205/18/2013

Not that Winger was bad actress, she can give a good performance. But, to suggest that overall she is an equal to Streep and should have her career is ridiculous.

[quote]You think Streep could pull off that Mechanical bull ride in Urban Cowboy?

No. Could Winger pull off "The Iron Lady" - no.

I've never seen "Cannery Row", if Welch was in it would it have become a DataLounge camp classic?

by D. Mametreply 8305/18/2013

Riding a bull is a benchmark of good acting? Hysterical!

by D. Mametreply 8405/18/2013

Who would win in a fist fight: Winger or Mirren (Mrs. Taylor Hackford)?

by D. Mametreply 8505/18/2013

Why the hell was Meryl Steep brought up in a thread about Debra Winger? Apparently because a lot of Dataloungers have a obsession with her.

There is NO comparison between Debra Winger and Meryl Streep. They are entirely different types of actresses. To compare them is ridiculous.

by D. Mametreply 8605/18/2013

[quote] Hepburn did not care for her but neither did Pauline Kael. They are now both deceased and stewing in a pile of bitterness. Meryl's still on top so she did something right.

Yes, being born 40 years later really showed them. That's strategy!

by D. Mametreply 8705/18/2013

[quote]Why the hell was Meryl Steep brought up in a thread about Debra Winger? Apparently because a lot of Dataloungers have a obsession with her.

Streep was first mentioned by someone who claimed Winger should have Streep's career. Indeed, ridiculous.

by D. Mametreply 8805/18/2013

Thank you everyone for chiming in on Debra Winger, good or bad. I adore her, and do agree that she could have done more, but burned too many bridges.

I don't really see her in the Streep conversation. They are just too different. Debra was smoldering and earthy and messy, whereas Streep is much more cultured and privileged, no matter the role. Just for a quick example: Debra as Shirley's daughter in Terms of Endearment vs. Meryl as Shirley's daughter in Postcards.

They were of course peers to some extent, but in my limited knowledge, I feel Debra far more focused on the "art" and integrity of the overall film, whatever that meant to her.

Her entire young persona, when you really build your career and reputation, was too volatile to sustain any of her early success. But I sure wish she had been able to handle that life because I think her talent was very real.

by D. Mametreply 8905/18/2013

[quote] he coyly admits they physically fought with one another on the set

If you read the transcript

QUESTION: "Can you dispel a myth? Did you guys actually slug each other?"

ANSWER "Don't remember. Possible! Totally possible. Slug, no. There was no blood drawn. There might have been a scuffle. I don't remember. I mean, we were wild, you know? She's not a wilting violet. (laughter) She's tough, too."

She doesn't admit there was a fight, she says she doesn't remember.

by D. Mametreply 9005/18/2013

"So Winger was very difficult? “I don’t like speaking bad of her because I just don’t like that stuff.” (In fact, she devoted an entire chapter in her book My Lucky Stars detailing what a nightmare it was working with Winger.)"

by D. Mametreply 9105/18/2013

So glad her fans keep the 1983 fire going. Shoulda woulda coulda.

by D. Mametreply 9205/18/2013

Didn't Oliver North and Dick Cheney say "I don't remember"?

I liked her when she was "hot" - saw a lot of her movies, thought she was good. I think she would have been good in Broadcast News.

I want to hear the "autograph story."

by D. Mametreply 9305/18/2013

According to IMDB, she is going to be in a movie with DL faves Rufus Wainwright, Famke Janssen, Temple Grandin, Karen Black, and Moby.

by D. Mametreply 9405/18/2013

Why would Winger even want Streep's career? She had no use for the Hollywood bullshit, I doubt she even cares at this point.

They're both great actresses, so to even suggest that Winger isn't as good as Streep is ludicrous. Winger could live inside a character in a way that very few actresses have been able to pull off (Streep in her prime was another one who could do it). Watch Terms, Officer, and yes, Urban cowboy. Flesh and blood creations. Her reign was short lived, but what a reign it was.

And yes, Mike's Murder is a very underrated gem of a film.

A lot of the Streep love is warranted, but it has gone way overboard. I'd venture to say she hasn't given a single performance in the last twelve years that could match her late 70's to late 90's output. If anything, she's reduced to relying on broad characterizations instead of minute inflections. There's a reason they called Rich Little an impressionist and not an actor. Simply looking like someone and imitating them does not equal acting. I find Meryl has gone too gimmicky in her approach.

But she's become the latter day Hepburn, can do no wrong and beloved by the public (for many reasons that are warranted) But like Hepburn, I don't think history will be as kind to her later fare as to her phenomenal early work.

by D. Mametreply 9505/18/2013

Yeah, comparing Debra Winger and Meryl Streep is kind of bullshit. Meryl Streep is a character actress, whereas Debra Winger is more of a personality star. And as with most personality stars, once it came out that her real life "personality" was of an unlikable bitch, her career tanked.

by D. Mametreply 9605/18/2013

lol at [r95]. Kate Hepburn's career began over 80 years ago. When exactly is history going to start being unkind to her? Though she was right about Streep -- CLICK CLICK CLICK. And unlike Meryl, she's starred in many great iconic films.

And Meryl could not have pulled off Debra's performance in Terms. CLICK CLICK CLICK does not cut it for raw emotion.

by D. Mametreply 9705/18/2013

Good post, R95.

by D. Mametreply 9805/18/2013

one word----cocaine

by D. Mametreply 9905/18/2013

That great voice, the big open eyes and, most of all, her ability to look like she was madly in love with/loved to death co-stars she hated the moment the director called "Cut". Gere, Maclaine (she lied Travolta).

Watch "Mike's Murder" if you can find it. Pure charming Winger. And she's pretty perfect in "Black Widow" too. P.S. Kael didn't hate Streep, just thought she always looked miscast. And said she "couldn't take a bite of food without acting out eating." On the other hand... she loved Winger, said she was a major reason to see movies then.

by D. Mametreply 10005/18/2013

I think she hated Redford too. He certainly hated her but they were trapped in that godawful "Legal Eagles" dreck so who could blame them?

Has she hated all of her co-stars?

by D. Mametreply 10105/18/2013

She called Redford "The Unnatural". Pretty funny, but I bet he hated it. "Legal Eagles" was a total '80's yuppie movie. Loved it.

by D. Mametreply 10205/18/2013

Ironically, not a bad word to say about Theresa Russell -- whom she approved for the role in "Black Widow" (the old "casting approval" they get at their peak). You'd think there would be major issues since Russell was dressed all hot mama, Winger dull and dowdy... but no. Her ire seemed more for male figures -- stars and directors -- than female catfights, Maclaine aside.

She loved Nicholson too, her fellow wild man. And, as said before, James Bridges was her favorite director who died early. Think he was the gay one whose longtime companion was, drum rollllll... Jimmy Olsen from the old "Superman" series. Seriously!

by D. Mametreply 10305/19/2013

P.S. Do I even have to ask if you folks have seen "Searching for Debra Winger", the documentary directed by Rosanna Arquette? She finds Winger at the end, nothing amazingly personal but still cool info. Lots of other great 80s/90s stars too in it.

by D. Mametreply 10405/19/2013

I loved Black Widow.

Also thought Winger did a great job in Rachel Getting Married which starred Oscar winner Anne Hathaway.

by D. Mametreply 10505/19/2013

I love Meryl, but the Mbot seems to forget She Devil, The River Wild, Mamma Mia, and Hope Springs.

by D. Mametreply 10605/19/2013

Her fall was really quick too, I recall, two Oscar nods and box office too and then suddenly she was in a Steve Martin movie and her face was postage stamp sized on the poster. That's when you know it's over. She did come back for one more Oscar nod for "Shadowlands"... and then took off for a decade, it seemed.

by D. Mametreply 10705/19/2013

She did well and had a semi-comeback in Rachel Getting Married and had some buzz along with the other one who wasn't AnnE. But god I hated that.

Aronofsky could use her, he has a thing for reviving good but dead actors, as does Tarrantino but he's one who more sees the potential in discarded ones people wouldn't think of.

by D. Mametreply 10805/19/2013

Her acting and movies were fine when they were good, but none of her movies are among my absolute favorites. I'd probably see Black Widow again, but I haven't downloaded it and saved on hard drives, like I have hundreds of other movies.

by D. Mametreply 10905/19/2013

Every performer has their limitations. I could insult Hepburn but why bother?

by D. Mametreply 11005/19/2013

I am so sorry that I have been lazy over the past twelve tears? Honestly, you queens are too much.

by D. Mametreply 11105/19/2013

[quote]I am so sorry that I have been lazy over the past twelve tears?

You're an actress! You should be able to produce more tears than twelve. Come on!

by D. Mametreply 11205/19/2013

r111 is an imposter. I never use a period and I don't see self-hating things like "queens"

by D. Mametreply 11305/19/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by D. Mametreply 11405/19/2013

R114, people were even saying that 15 yrs ago. She completely dropped off the map and never really made it back on.

by D. Mametreply 11505/19/2013

There is nothing wrong with The River Wild. And Meryl is good in it.

The most recent thing I remember that Winger was in was In Treatment.

She is more of a "natural" type of actress. I liked her in movies, and I like Meryl. I don't think they could/can do what each of them does.

by D. Mametreply 11605/19/2013

[quote]If you new anything

oh my

by D. Mametreply 11805/19/2013

not just a waiter, it sounds like a waiter at Denny's or a truckstop

by D. Mametreply 11905/19/2013

In her role in Urban Cowboy, the only woman who ever turned me on.

by D. Mametreply 12005/19/2013

I don't think I saw a complete Debra Winger movie asiden from Rachel Getting Married (fell asleep early on Officer & Gentleman or maybe I was just too stoned to remember it). However her couple of scenes in Rachel Getting Married convinced me all the accolades were justified. She's nothing short of brilliant, especially in the goodbye scene where Anne Hathaway is trying desperately to reach out to her and Winger carefully talks around her. Watched that scene dozens of time and still amazed at all the layers she manages to convey.

by D. Mametreply 12105/19/2013

And to think what I liked best about her were her eyes...

I was fooled.

by D. Mametreply 12205/19/2013

I remember when LEGAL EAGLES came out she made a comment that they would laugh at her on the set and it really annoyed her.

by D. Mametreply 12305/19/2013

I remember Bette Davis liking Winger and Streep. Hepburn liked Julia Roberts.

by D. Mametreply 12405/19/2013

Don't think Hepburn "liked" Roberts. She just commented that she had star quality.

by D. Mametreply 12505/19/2013

Sounds like a "Lke" to me. Especially from Hep[burn who wasn't exactly gushy in her final act.

by D. Mametreply 12605/19/2013

My farts smell like raisins

by D. Mametreply 12705/19/2013

Mine smell like creme brulee!

by D. Mametreply 12805/19/2013

R60, I remember your Debra Winger story and I f-ing LOVE IT!!!!!! I randomly remember it sometimes b/c TERMS is one of my favorite films and I always giggle.

by D. Mametreply 12905/20/2013

I've never seen Urban Cowboy either! Isn't it about a mechanical bull riding contest?

by D. Mametreply 13005/20/2013

Basically.

by D. Mametreply 13105/20/2013

R60, I would love to hear your story. I don't know why I didn't see a previous Debra Winger thread, but thank you for sharing the story again.

by D. Mametreply 13205/20/2013

I know all about Deb from experience. Before we worked together in 1980, I was a complete and total pussyhound. I tapped every pussy in Hollywood. Then I worked with Debra. Oh, dear. Let's just say, my life changed in major ways after that experience.

by D. Mametreply 13305/20/2013

[quote]I feel Debra far more focused on the "art" and integrity of the overall film, whatever that meant to her.

Then why did she do "Black Widow" and "Legal Eagles"?

by D. Mametreply 13405/20/2013

She was in the Israeli army for awhile before her career heated up.

by D. Mametreply 13505/20/2013

She has a brief scene in "Thank God It's Friday" with Donna Summer in the club bathroom.

by D. Mametreply 13605/20/2013

Donna hands Debra a tissue to cry into, or the other way around.

by D. Mametreply 13705/20/2013

R134, I said that in response to the comparison to Streep. Like all actors, Winger did some awful roles, absolutely.

I recall reading somewhere, she was essentially "forced" into Legal Eagles by her agency.

As many have said, she definitely burned bridges. Perhaps this role was what was available to her if she was going to work; perhaps if she coveted a role, Legal Eagles was the price. Not that uncommon.

Also, I didn't want to suggest everything she ever did was for the art. Most every artist does things that sounded better at the time or were presented as one thing while turning out quite differently or just for the money. Who knows?

We do know she was volatile and ruined any chance she had at a true star career even if she had the talent, which is another topic and not everyone would agree she had such potential.

But I do see her as having loftier ideals in her overall acting choices than Streep, however reality-based they were or were not. In my opinion, she never appeared as grounded and able to see her talent through. And that was the topic I was trying to address.

by D. Mametreply 13805/20/2013

Why has Shirley Jones contributed half the posts on this thread? Does she have nothing better to do than polish her 1960 Oscar and watch "The Music Man" on a constant loop?

by D. Mametreply 13905/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.