Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alexander Payne's movie Nebraska

[quote]I'm always just so damn desperate to find anything that can make a movie. I'm serious. This one is not a grand statement and it's not particularly important to me. '

The director's own words. So why should we care?

by Anonymousreply 2803/13/2014

Take a look at "Omaha" the movie (1995) Dan Mirvish instead.

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2013

This does look good. It better be after the tedium of The Descendants.

Trying to avoid too much about the Oscars just now, but I take it if Cate is a frontrunner in actress (just remembered Naomi, what a horrible clash!) then Bruce Dern must be one for actor.

Nice tip, r1.

by Anonymousreply 208/09/2013

What a bore. This film is paper thin. I can't figure out if Payne is mocking his characters (most of whom seem to have a low double-digit IQ) or if he's being earnest (the father revealing his motivation for the journey takes any complexity out of the film). I would have walked out, but I was there with a friend.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

by Anonymousreply 312/12/2013

I read the script a couple of years back before Ad Hominem signed on to make this movie. It's was and is a horrible script. The premise is paper thin and I am amazed, amazed! this movie got made. The Descendants was paper thin, but he was able to weave something out of it. Alexander basically wanted to make a black and white film, period. ANd he is really grasping at this point grabbing onto anything to make a film. He only makes movies now because he feels he is losing time, not because he is passionate about it. It's made 2.5 million in a month. Good luck getting it's 12 million back.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2013

This movie looks incredibly boring, just like The Descendents and About Schmidt. Somehow these dull movies from Alexander Payne get financed -- maybe someone thinks they're profound.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2013

I enjoyed About Schmidt. Nicholson might have given his last great performance there.

Nebraska has zero substance and paper thin characters, though. By far the worst film I've seen this year. Even worse than Gravity, which was banal, but technically dazzling.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2013

R3, R4, and R6 have an odd fixation on the words "paper thin."

I saw the movie. If you like movies with car chases and explosions and rapid gunfire and zombies and vampires and demons and hot monkey sex, then you should probably look elsewhere for film-going entertainment. But I liked the movie because the performances were good, the story was simplistic but affecting and it was beautifully filmed in black and white.

I think the "paper thin" trolls just don't GET movies like this. I guess a film like this just goes over their heads.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2014

Payne has a very fitting last name.

It's like a plumber named Flush.

by Anonymousreply 801/06/2014

[quote]I think the "paper thin" trolls just don't GET movies like this. I guess a film like this just goes over their heads.

I don't watch 'Transformer' like films, like you so arrogantly assumed, but I still think Nebraska had very little substance in terms of story and character development. The characters seem roughly sketched and the story felt like a bunch of light vignettes strung together.

For the record, I love The Straight Story by David Lynch, a film with which Nebraska shares a lot in terms of mood and structure. Unlike Nebraska, The Straight Story tells you something about a human condition; about longing, love and tenderness.

by Anonymousreply 901/06/2014

I actually really loved it. It would probably be my second favorite Best Picture nominee after Her.

I'm not sure where the "paper thin" posse is from, but perhaps it's because I'm from the Midwest that I enjoyed it so much. The screenplay really stuck out to me as incredibly realistic. I swear I've heard several of those conversations in my own life. Particularly the scenes of the distant relatives trying to relate to each other but having nothing to say, and of Kate wailing at Woody about all her woes at every chance she got. Those scenes could have actually been my own grandparents.

While I really loved the film, it was beautifully shot, and the direction was interesting, I was sort of underwhelmed by the acting.

Bruce Dern did not live up to the hype for me. The role didn't really require him to do much more than look confused and ornery most of the time, and that's exactly what he delivered. June Squibb was almost exclusively comic relief as her foul-mouthed 80 something woman. It sort of reminded me of Octavia Spencer in The Help, but without the depth. Will Forte was better than I expected, but also nothing special. Still would have put him in over dumbass Jonah Hill, though.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2014

I also enjoyed the movie, as did the two other guys who went with me . . . . it is character and dialog driven . . . . . reminded me in a certain sense of Albert Finney and Tom Courtenay's dialog driven "The Dresser"

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2014

I feel like Bruce Dern has been playing the same character forever.

by Anonymousreply 1202/05/2014

I saw [italic]Nebraska[/italic] Tuesday 02.04.2014.

The film is not "paper thin"; that's not possible for a film when there becomes more explained of characters' backgrounds, personalites, and motives as the film moves along.

Will Forte is really co-lead with Bruce Dern. It's not the type of performance that usually gets awards attention. Dern delivers one that does. He's convincing. Dern is 77 years old, and he nails the confusion, the slowness, and the delusions. His character thinks he won a sweepstakes. The office is in Lincoln, Nebraska. He convinces his son to take the trip from their area of Billings, Montana. They get derailed a couple times, and this includes a stop where Dern grew up. From there, he leads others - especially family members - to believe he has hit a jackpot.

June Squibb plays Dern's wife, who is frustrated and overwhelmed trying to look after her husband. She wants her available son [Forte] to pick where she figures she can't. There is little or no counting on the other son (Bob Odenkirk) because he's got a supposedly more meaningful life.

[italic]Nebraska[/italic]'s character development feels somewhat like what one saw in [italic]Nobody's Fool[/italic] (1994) and [italic]The Straight Story[/italic], both of which garnered best-actor Oscar nominations for stars Paul Newman and Richard Farnsworth just as this film has for Bruce Dern. It's about being at the end of one's life, and for that one nearing the end to want some last moments that are precious and, perhaps, triumphant.

Squibb is marvelous as Dern's wife. She gets to be very revealing. And we learn plenty about her resilience. Like Dern, Squibb earned her Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1302/05/2014

This was one I put off until the last minute. We finally saw it last night. There were some laugh out loud moments, just at first. But this was a slow moving, boring ass movie about some of the most repulsive people I have ever seen. Will Forte was the only thing in this movie that was worth looking at.

There was nothing original or surprising. Everyone's behavior was very predictable. This was a terrible movie. I saw Sideways, and Descendants, and now this and I'm done. No more Alexander Payne for me.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2014

I just saw this movie tonight- I found it incredibly poignant and I did not find the characters to be "paper thin". I found the scene when mother, father and the two sons were inside Bruce Dern's childhood home very moving. I didn't find the movie slow and honestly I could have sat through another 45 minutes. [quote]Nebraska's character development feels somewhat like what one saw in Nobody's Fool (1994) YES! good call R13. [quote]I'm not sure where the "paper thin" posse is from, but perhaps it's because I'm from the Midwest that I enjoyed it so much. The screenplay really stuck out to me as incredibly realistic. I am also from the midwest, R10, and I agree that the film was very realistic. These characters are carbon copies from my childhood. I loved this film.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2014

R15 assesses a movie base on the attractiveness of the actors. At least he's open about his shallowness.

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2014

[quote]June Squibb was almost exclusively comic relief as her foul-mouthed 80 something woman.

I thought she was great; she reminded me of old people I know.

The only exception was the cemetery scene. It was as if, suddenly, she was in a Jim Carey movie. She stopped being so surly and mean and was just raunchy and comic. It totally took me out of the film for a while.

But then she came back and really was great when she told off the relatives about how she had kept track of how much gas they had used.

Did anyone else think Forte hitting that old man in the bar came across differently from intended? Yes, the guy was an asshole, but there was something not OK about the young Forte knocking out an old man.

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2014

What are you talking about R16?

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2014

I have never understood how any of Payne's films post-Election have attracted all the praise and awards. Nebraska was boring. Bruce Dern has always been one of my all-time most hated actors and he didn't improve his stock with me in this.

Why do the critics fall all over Payne? The Descendants was boring as shit too and George Clooney incredibly miscast and inept as usual.

Hopefully Nebraska made so little money this guy will find a day job.

by Anonymousreply 1903/06/2014

Critics fawn over Payne because he is one of the only people making character-driven movies in the old fashioned style, which are catnip to critics.

by Anonymousreply 2003/06/2014

I didn't like the June Squibb character. She was just a little too much most of the time. But I liked everyone else. And especially Bruce Dern, who usually does nothing for me. Foote also was really good.

And I loved The Descendents, and especially George Clooney, who I thought was perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 2103/06/2014

[quote]Nebraska was boring

You say that as if your opinion might matter. How sweet.

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2014

I am halfway through it. It is truly a Bergmaneque horror movie. It is a horror movie, definitely. It portrays the US Midwest to be something totally lifeless, ugly and WRONG. Like Poland. It is deceptively bland. It is an American alcoholic horror movie, and very realistic.

by Anonymousreply 2303/06/2014

It was boring, because I saw it before. Back then it was called "The Trip to Bountiful."

by Anonymousreply 2403/12/2014

Try Dan Mirvish's "Omaha: The Movie"

Has a small but devoted following

by Anonymousreply 2503/12/2014

[quote]I am halfway through it.

And you're posting on Datalounge?

Films like this are not meant for you people will ADD.

Watch some frantic 30 second YouTube video.

by Anonymousreply 2603/13/2014

I just watched the film last night and I did not have the visceral hatred some of you had toward the characters. I found it incredibly interesting and entertaining, though I found the long car ride in the truck at the end with Will crouching down rather bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 2703/13/2014

I lived in rural Nebraska for three years, back in the mid-80s. Granted, a college town, but one smack in the middle of the state (Kearney--the punchline of "Terms of Endearment," where the indicator that Jeff Daniels has sunk so low as an academic that Kearney State is the only school that will give him tenure--there were many Flap Hortons there when I was on the faculty), and you didn't have to drive very far to get lost in many small towns or hamlets like those in Payne's movie. I thought the use of blacks, whites, and grays was great--it's how I remember the place, like Kansas in "Oz," and the people were as venial or petty as they were in the movie. You had to work hard to find the decent folk (like Will Forte's character) and even then many of them seemed desperate or depressed. I remember finding "The Straight Story" interminable (and I liked all the actors, but Lynch's pacing was so slow I felt like I was on that tractor). This felt right to me--and even redeemed some of the people I would have dismissed in real life. I put it second, right behind "Her." I'm not sorry "12 Years" won, as I think it was an excellent film and reached for something of a larger scope, but I would have been happy to see Dern, Squibb, or the overlooked Forte win acting awards, and the cinematography was gorgeous in a kind of Walker Evans/Dorothea Lange way.

by Anonymousreply 2803/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.