Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tap Dancing

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013

Don't feel bad, OP. It's universally acknowledged to be one of the most complex & challenging things to watch that's ever been performed for an audience. Almost as hard to follow as a fast-paced game of horseshoes.

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2013

Harseshoes?!

by Anonymousreply 205/16/2013

"I don't get it."

For me, it's like Craigslist sex messaging except I'm live in the adjoining bathroom stall.

by Anonymousreply 305/16/2013

first you tip, then you tap, then you tippity tippity tap tap tap tap tap

by Anonymousreply 405/16/2013

I want to mention a form of dancing that has not been developed into a full system, but possesses the key elements on which a fun, distinctive system could be built: tap dancing. It is of American Negro origin; it is singularly appropriate to America and distinctly un-European. Its best exponents are Bill Robinson and Fred Satire (who combines it with some elements of the ballet).

Tap dancing is completely synchronized with, responsive and obedient to the music—by means of a common element crucial to music and to man's body: rhythm. This form permits the dancer no pause, no stillness: his feet can touch the ground only long enough to accent the rhythm's beat. From start to finish, no matter what the action of his body, his feet continue that even, rapid tapping; it is like a long series of dashes underscoring his movements; he can leap, whirl, kneel, yet never miss a beat. It looks, at times, as if it is a contest between the man and the music, as if the music is daring him to follow—and he is following lightly, effortlessly, almost casually. Complete obedience to the music? The impression one gets is: complete control—man's mind in effortless control of his expertly functioning body. The keynote is: precision. It conveys a sense of purpose, discipline, clarity—a mathematical kind of clarity—combined with an unlimited freedom of movement and an inexhaustible inventiveness that dares the sudden, the unexpected, yet never loses the central, integrating line: the music's rhythm. No, the emotional range of tap dancing is not unlimited: it cannot express tragedy or pain or fear or guilt; all it can express is gaiety and every shade of emotion pertaining to the joy of living. (Yes, it is my favorite form of the dance.)

by Anonymousreply 505/16/2013

The tapping never seems in sync with the music.

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2013

The feet never seen in sync with the tapping sound. I think it's all fake.

by Anonymousreply 705/16/2013

[quote]Fred Satire (who combines it with some elements of the ballet).

oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 805/16/2013

My grandma loves the old Fred Satire-Ginger Irony musicals.

by Anonymousreply 905/16/2013

[quote]Fred Satire-Ginger Irony musicals.

They really knew how to "put on" the Ritz.

by Anonymousreply 1005/16/2013

Fred Satire really put on the Ritz during that "on the Beach" film he did!

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2013

I'll bet OP likes to exercise.

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.