Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Liza get electrocuted onstage...

No, wait, she's just dancing.

From this to a woman whom we feel could keel over at any minute.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3505/18/2013

Not gonna lie, you made me snort, op

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 105/16/2013

I wouldn't say I'm a huge Liza fan but I have to give her credit, she performed the hell out of this song. It was a chart hit in the UK and I remember hearing it in dance clubs here in the US. Come on, the Pet Shop Boys on top of it? Pop heaven. She dances great and looks great, no criticism from me except maybe her campy vocal delivery. But knowing the Pet Shop Boys, that was the whole point.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 205/16/2013

she performed the hell out of this song.

You're a flyover, right?

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 305/16/2013

I love Liza. There's just something about her. And before anyone pipes up, I mean something great. :)

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 405/16/2013

If you ever saw her perform live OP, you'd understand what all the fuss is about.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 505/16/2013

L*I*Z*A looks great in that clip!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 605/16/2013

Agreed. She's gorgeous.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 705/16/2013

Shame this incarnation was not a bigger success. She was really doing a one eighty away from the Fosse-esque elements that defined her.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 805/16/2013

The Liza PSBs album is fantastic. This is my fave.

There's an Arsenio performance of this one as well.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 905/16/2013

HOW DARE SHE DO THIS TO SONDHEIM!!! Follies is the Bible of musical theater and this is the iconic song.It should be a ballad, as Sondheim intended, and should not be tampered with. It's like turning Ave Maria into a techno dance song. Broadway, especially Sondheim, should never be sullied like with this abomination. She should be electrocuted.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1005/16/2013

What R5 said

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1105/16/2013

You'll love this r10!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1205/16/2013

SPY Magazine hilariously referred to this incarnation as "hep rock star Liza Minnelli."

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1305/16/2013

[quote]HOW DARE SHE DO THIS TO SONDHEIM!!! Follies is the Bible of musical theater and this is the iconic song

Mary, the International Space Station just called and asked if you could tone it down--your hysterical nelliness is apparently blocking their view of the Earth.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1405/16/2013

Man, twenty years can do a lot to a girl...

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1505/16/2013

I was thinking something about that clip looked familiar, then I realized what it was. Many of those dance moves were done in Janet Jackson's old 'Pleasure Principle' video, they both wore black jeans too. I wonder if it was the same choreographer, else just a dance trend of that era.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1605/16/2013

R2, the Pet Shop Boys were reluctant to have her sing the song given her history and that of her mother. They finally agreed to ask her, and they were very pleased with the results (sorry for the pun). Their version of the song is rather good too.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1705/16/2013

This was on Arsenio. You know he was the one lobbying to have her come onto the show.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1805/17/2013

Totally underrated album.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 1905/17/2013

LOL! Okay, I avoid the Liza threads like a plague but OP's headline made me laugh my ass off and I had to take a look.

Christ! I remember when she did that campy album with the Pet Shop Boys. Loosing My Mind was the most craptastic, campy, shiterific video I've ever seen. Go 'head on Liza!!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2005/17/2013

R14, MARRY ME!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2105/17/2013

Here's Liza lip syncing her ass off on the Dame Edna Show to one of the songs off the same album.

Pretty song but still over the top campy.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2205/17/2013

Sorry, link here.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2305/17/2013

What year would this have been?

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2405/17/2013

Michael Jackson probably taught her all that choreography, as I mentioned it reminded me of Janet Jackson but of course her moves were copies of his in those days. Liza was friends with Michael even back then, so I think it's possible he told her how to do all the popping/ locking/hand-jiving stuff. None of it looks Fosse-esque. She also had a very sympathetic stylist I see. She looked better here than in 'Arthur' which was years prior.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2505/17/2013

I love Liza, there's just something lovable about her, not to mention she's talented as hell.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2605/17/2013

She's also surprisingly very professional r26. I was a bit wary of going and expected a trainwreck when I went to see her live but she was super polished. Also still has a voice of sorts for her age.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2705/17/2013

R23, that was HORRID!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2805/17/2013

Does Dame Edna have blue hair? I like blue.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 2905/17/2013

I got all the way to 0:49!!

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3005/17/2013

r24 circa 1989/1990. Losing My Mind was 89, great song I had no idea it was Sondheim till later and nor did I know it was Follies till reading this thread.

It made a lot of sense that it was a cover, it seemed way too much of a standard and melodramatic and theatrical to have come out of nowhere.

Dusty was enough for those in the know and the gay subtext of the first 2 albums but if anything outed the PSBs it would be this. Camp upon camp, there is nothing gayer when you factor in Sondheim.

Anyway the great 2nd single "Don't Drop Bombs" hasn't been mentioned. She also did the disco standard "Love Pains" and pointedly Tanita Tikarim's haunting classic "Twist in my Sobriety". Great song selections.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3105/17/2013

Agree, R27. I've been very lucky to have seen her perform live several times. I've never met her, but I'd love to. It's become a sort of running joke with my friends, because there's been nearly a dozen times where I've been someplace and Liza had either just left, or showed up after I left. I want to meet Liza :-(

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3205/17/2013

She got a lot of mileage out of that little disco ditty. After that, things went downhill: the hip problems, the knee problems, the illnesses, David Gest...

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3305/17/2013

This was not the sound and style that would make Top 40 in the US in 1989.

Not saying it's good or bad.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3405/18/2013

She trying to keep up with her times. Cher, Babs, Dolly all did it. She does give the right emotion in " So Sorry, I Said" in the vocal part. It is the video added to that vocal that puts it way over the top. She is not as bad as you might think-'and that hair cut suits her. She has her "Sterile Cuckoo " face on. You feel a little pity for her.

by Raise your hand if you thought she was gonna sing "Gloria.reply 3505/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.