Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cable Question

Went to TCM-82. Screen black. Called Time Warner. Recording says no outage in my area. Spoke with rep. Told her all channels OK, but TCM. At bottom of screen get description of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner." She returned to say cables are being replaced in my area. Why would cable changes affect only one channel? Was this BS to get me off the line

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2013

Yes, you got BSed off the phone.

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2013

[quote]Why would cable changes affect only one channel?

The question you should have asked her. Good luck getting to another live human.

by Anonymousreply 205/16/2013

OP I did ask why it affected only one channel. She said different channels go through different cables until it gets to our building, which is I why I asked here if it's BS.

by Anonymousreply 305/16/2013

I can imagine that one channel's feed to your cable provider may have been down but she didn't explain it very well. If it's only one channel and it hasn't gone on that long I wouldn't have bothered calling in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 405/16/2013

You might as well ask your pet what's going on with TWC. The reps know very little. They can lead you through the steps to reboot your cable but that is something you can do on your own. No help needed. When I switched over to digital service and went to pick up my new cable box, the woman behind the plexiglass told me not to connect the box to the cable line or it would EXPLODE. True story. They could train primates to do the job. TWC also doesn't like giving rebates for the time the service is out. And they really don't like it when you cancel a channel or service. Anyway, it could be worse, You could have Castcom or Cablecast or whatever it's called.

by Anonymousreply 505/16/2013

r4, Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I promised to record "The Big Fisherman" for a friend who's out the country. It doesn't run very often.

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2013

OP/R3

You can do a massive reboot and be patient or call back.

To do a massive reboot: disconnect everything for ten minutes, reconnect everything, then do not so much as turn anything on for at least twenty minutes.

by Anonymousreply 705/16/2013

r7, what I promised to record is on in less than 20 minutes. Not enough time for your suggestion, but will keep it mind if this happens again. Thanks for your help.

by Anonymousreply 805/16/2013

How the fuck should I know? Do I look Sheldon Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 905/16/2013

I have had all kinds of problems that only affected TCM. (I have Charter as my provider.) First, the HD TCM channel was stuck on "Descriptive Video for the Blind" and thus every movie that included that service had a running narrative description of the action. I compalined to them for MONTHS and they never did anything about it but one day it was finally OK. (The non-HD feed never had the problem)

Then, a few months later, the HD feed had a black screen with no sound or picture, but I could see the description of the movie at the bottom of the screen (just like OP.) This has finally been fixed.

I've had similar problems with the Hallmark Channel in HD, too.

Sometimes you can fix minor problems by just rebooting the cable box (unplug and replug.)

by Anonymousreply 1005/16/2013

OP, your real problem is that you are a TWC customer. I hate them! My neighborhood recently got FIOS (or I realized it did). I might switch or just go cableless...get internet only and a digital antenna for local (NYC) stations.

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.