Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

ACLU: Time for 'Modern Family' gay couple to wed

NEW YORK (AP) -- The ACLU is lobbying for the gay couple on "Modern Family" to get married.

ACLU Action started a campaign to urge the show's producers to write a wedding episode for Mitchell and Cameron, fathers of an adopted child and one of three couples at the heart of the show.

The ACLU says it is appealing to the fictional family to draw more attention to the real issue as it awaits Supreme Court decisions on two important marriage equality cases.

"Mitch and Cam are a couple that America has come to know and love, and seeing them get married, and seeing the characters in the story grapple with their desire to get married, makes it real for a bigger part of America," said James Esseks, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Project at the ACLU.

Supporters are invited to "RSVP" to the wedding online. The ACLU plans to deliver the online "guest list" to the show's producers but said it had not yet contacted the show.

Esseks said the petition was a departure for the group, but that along with filing lawsuits, lobbying for bills or organizing ballot initiatives, the group saw public education and changing the culture as part of its mission. He applauded what "Modern Family" has done already for public perception of gay couples.

"It's a popular show, they're a lovable, very real couple, and it would be great to see them walk down the aisle," he said.

ABC referred questions to 20th Century Fox Studios, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Show creator Steven Levitan tweeted a link to the campaign with a simple "Wow." Jessie Tyler Ferguson, who plays Mitchell, tweeted: "Love this! Thank you ACLU! Maybe once Prop 8 is overturned!"

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013

The ACLU? These are fictional characters. When did all of our other issues get solved, that the ACLU should now be arguing for plot elements in a television show?

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2013

Um, no. It is perfectly fine to argue for marriage rights and still take the position that, for all people, marriage may not be the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 205/16/2013

Homosexual marriage on our television? Mitt and I will be making Jello molds that night and will miss this hypothetical episode.

by Anonymousreply 305/16/2013

MYOB ACLU, gay marriage is well and good, but not every grotesque gay caricature couple has to be married off for decency's sake. I'd rather this couple were killed off: let them drive off a cliff and take the whole execrable show with them.

by Anonymousreply 505/16/2013

I think I'm busy the night they show the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2013

I wouldn't marry that fat bitch Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2013

The show is set in California, where gay marriage not yet legal. Even if they wanted to get married, how could they?

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2013

While I love R1, I ADORE R5

by Anonymousreply 905/17/2013

Which one would wear the dress?

by Anonymousreply 1005/17/2013

The ACLU obviously has too much time (and money) on it's hands.

Time to donate elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2013

It's obvious they can't stand each other. If they want to be realistic, they should have one move out while the other is out of town. Then, they can try to get each other fired and/or burn each other's houses down. Now THAT would be realistic.

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.