Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Queen Bee on TCM Thurs 5/16/13

Queen Bee, starring JOAN CRAWFORD. On TCM this afternoon at 1230pm eastern time.

Don't miss JOAN in scenes such as this!

by Barbarareply 4905/26/2013

I loved the writing on the steamed-up glass, bathroom door...

by Barbarareply 105/16/2013

Now that is a vicious face slapping

by Barbarareply 205/16/2013

I love Betsy Palmer's tacky old riding clothes!

by Barbarareply 305/16/2013

green like the grass.... like the trees... like Frankenstein's monster!

by Barbarareply 405/16/2013

Read somewhere that Crawford really slapped actress Lucy Marlowe in that scene. They rehearsed it , with Crawford doing the 'brush slap' for camera - taking your hand , and merely brushing the person's face, while sound dept. adds in the 'slap' sound later. When they actually did this take however, it's said Crawford really slapped Marlowe hard. The reason, some suspected , is because Marlowe was very sweet, and had become a favorite with the crew. Or maybe Joan was method acting, playing "Queen Bee".

by Barbarareply 505/16/2013

R5, read the same thing. Apparently Marlowe's reaction is real. It hurt like hell. The sound you hear is one of a real slap. Betsy Palmer said in some interview (perhaps in the Queen Bee DVD commentary or in that documentary on Crawford done for TCM) that Joan had taken Lucy Marlowe under her wing, initially, and liked her but that when she saw that Marlowe was not very good or did not really "deliver the goods" on film (what the hell ever happened to her, anyway?), she turned against her.

by Barbarareply 605/16/2013

I thought Joan's character had come back to bed her, but she ruined the illusion by saying she was "lonely." Or maybe that was the same thing?

by Barbarareply 705/16/2013

What a strange film. Crawford is completely convincing and dominates every scene she's in, and yet seems phony beyond belief.

by Barbarareply 805/16/2013

Loved Lucy in "A Star Is Born", on earlier today. Where is Amanda Blake in that movie ? See her name in the credits , but never see her in the film.

by Barbarareply 905/16/2013

I thought that was Ann Blythe for a minute. I was amazed she got Crawford-slapped twice in two separate movies.

by Barbarareply 1005/16/2013

yes, Lucy was Lovely Lola Lavery in "A Star is Born".....loved her in it as well R9

by Barbarareply 1105/16/2013

[quote]Ann Blythe

Not to be gauche, but it's just "Blyth"

by Barbarareply 1205/16/2013

I love how Crawford tries to have it both ways. She drives a character to suicide and then breaks down upon the revelation of their death. I think she may have had some work done before this film because she looks much younger here than she does in FEMALE ON THE BEACH or AUTUMN LEAVES, both around the same time. And it's not just the different hairstyle.

Joan's wardrobe is amazing in this film!

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy Marlowe lost hearing in her ear after that slap.

by Barbarareply 1305/16/2013

[quote]... Joan had taken Lucy Marlowe under her wing, initially, and liked her but ... when she saw that Marlowe was not very good or did not really "deliver the goods" on film ..., she turned against her.

If this is true, I must agree with Joan Crawford. I thought Lucy Marlowe was dreadful, so passive as to be almost blank. Not pretty either, & so boring, she just reminded me of a slug.

I probably would have slapped her too.

by Barbarareply 1405/16/2013

Amanda Blake is one of the presenters at the Academy Awards in A STAR IS BORN.

Lucy Marlowe married a baseball player and quit the business...she is a teacher at an exclusive girl's school in Montana or someplace like that.

by Barbarareply 1505/16/2013

Joan Crawford is one shitty actress. I would have walked out of that movie...on a airplane. Peeeyew.

by Barbarareply 1605/16/2013

[quote]Joan Crawford is one shitty actress. I would have walked out of that movie...on a airplane. Peeeyew.

Don't you normally fly economy class, Bette?

by Barbarareply 1705/16/2013

"Amanda Blake is one of the presenters at the Academy Awards in A STAR IS BORN."

Wait - wasn't she Norman's starlet girlfriend accompanying the studio head during the opening scenes at the Premiere?

by Barbarareply 1805/16/2013

I acted the shit outta this one, boys!

by Barbarareply 1905/16/2013

I read that Joan's daughter Christina couldn't stand to watch "Queen Bee", because "Mommie" wasn't playing a character. She was playing herself. This behavior is what happened at home every day. 1955. Christina was born in 1939. So she would've been 16 when this came out, and at the Chadwick School, looking for the Booze AND the Boys!

by Barbarareply 2005/16/2013

I'm Betsy Palmer's high heels hanging in the stable

by Barbarareply 2105/16/2013

When Joan says "any man is mine if I want him" is so bizarre at her point in life in 1955. Looking like a drag queen. Those "sour milk lips" as described by the Hollywood Kids in "Bad Movies We Love"

by Barbarareply 2205/16/2013

[quote]So she would've been 16 when this came out, and at the Chadwick School, looking for the Booze AND the Boys!

[italic]Looking?[/italic] She knows where to find them.

by Barbarareply 2305/17/2013

Joan Crawford novice here:

My favorite Joan slap is the one where she'a basically sitting on top of a woman in a sofa and just keeps slapping her head from side to side. It's at O:53 in the linked video. In the same video there's a clip of her at 0:44 slapping two gentlemen and saying "I do that in all my pictures". Inside joke?

by Barbarareply 2405/17/2013

I forgot to link the video:

by Barbarareply 2505/17/2013

Joan Crawford was ugly and totally sucked at acting. Too bad Christina didn't fight back with a knife or gun. We all would have benefitted.

by Barbarareply 2605/17/2013

And it's too bad your simple self wasn't aborted before birth, R26.

Que sera, sera.

by Barbarareply 2705/17/2013

R27 I appreciate your insights, jizz chin.

by Barbarareply 2805/17/2013

R24 that first slap is from A Woman's Face, 1940. Fans didn't like seeing Joan with a disfigured face, though, trying a "serious acting " part. She wanted them, though. She wanted to be a good actress beneath all that MGM veneer but the studio never gave her "those" kinds of parts. Bette Davis over at Warners got those parts. By the early 40's, Joan was on the way out, with a new crop of stars getting the best roles. Turner and Garland and Garson, etc.

It's a Great Feeling, Warner Brothers, 1948, was Doris Day's pic, co-starring Jack Carson and Dennis Day. Joan did a quick, fun cameo lampooning her own image. She slapped both Jack AND Dennis. It was funny and one of the few times Joan DID show a sense of humor about herself.

by Barbarareply 2905/17/2013

Thanks, R29. Much appreciated.

by Barbarareply 3005/17/2013

Lucy Marlowe is very nervous in that clip and is telegraphing her knowledge of what's to come. And boy, does it!

by Barbarareply 3105/17/2013

She knew I was gonna fuck her up good!

by Barbarareply 3205/17/2013

R25's link -- It's the old Dan-O-Matic compilation from years ago.

Does anyone know how to find a better copy on line of this brilliant Joan Crawford video that Dan did?

The version at r25 seems have been duped a million times.

Still love the soundtrack by YAZOO!

Thanks for posting r25.

by Barbarareply 3305/17/2013

Has this been posted?

This is about JC filming in the Grand Union in Ridgewood, New Jersey.

This guy can perhaps lead collectors to a red weirdo:

by Barbarareply 3405/17/2013

And here's another site with videos of possible interest to the Joan Crawford freaks on DL:

by Barbarareply 3505/17/2013

Here, R33.

by Barbarareply 3605/17/2013

Thank you, r36

by Barbarareply 3705/17/2013

I don't have the patience to listen to the whole seven minute narration of the video at r34, but WTF - the description says Joan spent A WEEK on location to film that four-minute Weirdo short?? How many fucking takes of each ten-second scene did they do?

by Barbarareply 3805/17/2013

You crass, thankless fuckers. Go to Hell!

by Barbarareply 3905/17/2013

When when you diagnosed with ADD, R38?

How old were you

by Barbarareply 4005/17/2013

By the way, the guy who posted the video linked at r34 gives his email address at the end for those with the patience to watch it.

by Barbarareply 4105/17/2013

>"When Joan says "any man is mine if I want him" is so bizarre at her point in life in 1955."

Talk about a scene where Crawford wasn't acting!

Seriously, when I saw this film, I wondered if it hadn't been written by a witness to her world-record levels of narcissism. And I expect it was intended to show how destructive she was, but she took it as a homage.

by Barbarareply 4205/17/2013

I can't believe the mystery of Joan's shopping trip with Missy is solved!!! New Jersey was the place! There's even a mention of the weirdo in R34's video.

by Barbarareply 4305/17/2013

What do I win, r43, resolving the Red Weirdo - Joan Crawford mystery of the year (so far) ??

If it's a really nice DL prize, I will say, "OH FANK YOU!"

At the very least I think Webbie should extend my membership another year for all I contribute to this place.

by Barbarareply 4405/17/2013

"Autumn Leaves," with Miss Joan opposite a MUCH younger Cliff Robertson, is on TCM tonight.

by Barbarareply 4505/17/2013

So was Frank Farrell gay before he met Joan, or did she turn him?

Also, "Grand Union Meateria" would be a great name for a gay bar.

by Barbarareply 4605/17/2013

[quote]Seriously, when I saw this film, I wondered if it hadn't been written by a witness to her world-record levels of narcissism. And I expect it was intended to show how destructive she was, but she took it as a homage.

The movie is based on a novel by Edna Lee. The ending is changed -- in the book, it's Beauty who drives Eva to a party & crashes the car on purpose, leaving the poor pathetic heroine to carry on alone. Lousy book, much better movie (thanks to Joan Crawford).

by Barbarareply 4705/17/2013

I LOVE the way Joan pronounces Fay's character Sue's name as "Syoo" in this movie. It's so wonderfully phony!

by Barbarareply 4805/17/2013

Did Lucy Marlow ever recover from getting the crap slapped out of her by Joan? Did Lucy represent Christina in "Mommie's" twisted mind? I believe this movie was made when Christina was at the The Chadwick School, and showing Mommie that she knew how to find the boys AND the booze!

by Barbarareply 4905/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.