Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

UC Berkeley or Ucla?

Which is the better school? Which is the better college experience? I got excepted to both and can't decide! Helps!

by Anonymousreply 5806/02/2013

UCO Dear.

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2013

UC Berkly is more known for being very liberal, progressive, unconventional.

UCLA is more mainstream, large campus, a non controversial type of place that would look good on a resume. But oh so boring.

by Anonymousreply 205/16/2013

UCLA- you c lots of Asians

not that there is anything wrong with that....Berkley is more respected I think.

by Anonymousreply 305/16/2013

Oh you had to go there R3.

Alright, here it is, saying around town:

UCLA = Ugly Caucasians who Love Asians

by Anonymousreply 405/16/2013

Newsflash. UC Berkeley has Asians. The Bay Area is more liberal in general than Los Angeles, but UC Berkeley isn't the liberal bastion it used to be.

Berkeley is DEFINITELY more respected. Unless you're going to film school. Then pick UCLA.

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2013

What's your planned major and career goal? It would make a difference which school that you chose. Also, warning. Don't even think of renting an apartment near UCLA unless you have an unlimited source of income.

by Anonymousreply 705/16/2013

I think Berkley looks better since it is thought of as harder to get into...unless you are applying to Fox news

by Anonymousreply 805/16/2013

UCLA - University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians

UC Irvine - University of Chinese Immigrants

by Anonymousreply 905/16/2013

[quote]Unless you're going to film school. Then pick UCLA.

or USC

by Anonymousreply 1005/16/2013

Berkley is also a lot smaller then UCLA which is huge. Smaller schools tend to give you more attention so you dont get lost in the crowd.

Film for UCLA but other then that, I would pick Berkley.

It is possible to rent a place near UCLA but the prices are really sky high. The area is surrounded by houses in the million dollar range so you might have to find a place a little bit outside of that area. They also have dorms if you are into that.

by Anonymousreply 1205/16/2013

You got excepted? Or accepted?

I call bullshit. You're way too fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1305/16/2013

Berkeley is almost all Asian these days folks.

by Anonymousreply 1505/16/2013

Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2013

Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 1705/16/2013

What schools in CA aren't Asian?

by Anonymousreply 1805/16/2013

When I went to UC they had higher standards, obviously. At least we had to know how to differentiate between "accepted" and "excepted."

[quote]Berkley is also a lot smaller then UCLA which is huge. Smaller schools tend to give you more attention so you dont get lost in the crowd.

You're not too well-informed, are you? (In addition to not being able to spell Berkeley.) In the fall of 2012, Berkeley had around 36,000 students; UCLA had around 41,000. That is not "a lot smaller," and Berkeley is not a "smaller school" by any stretch of the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 1905/16/2013

I'm surprised they'd even let you into UC Merced.

by Anonymousreply 2005/16/2013

Maybe he meant the campus size. Is Berkeley as huge as UCLA land wise?

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2013

[quote]What schools in CA aren't Asian?

ITT Tech

Everest

UEI

Any other school that advertises on daytime TV.

by Anonymousreply 2205/16/2013

Eh, you can fail out of either at the same speed.

by Anonymousreply 2305/16/2013

Do you get to choose which UC school you attend? I was under the impression that you apply to the UC system and are then "placed" into one of the universities. I've heard of people transferring, but that was always after completing freshman year.

by Anonymousreply 2405/16/2013

UCLA grad here. Though it was nice to know we were at one of the best (okay, "ranked") public schools in the US, Bruins always knew we followed UC Berkeley. They were the first UC. They have a slightly better academic rep. If our history was ranked 3rd, of course Berkeley's was 2nd. Apparently even some of our building names were ripped off from them. And of course they were the Bears...first and we had follow with the Bruins.

No big deal as we knew our place. Just a slight annoyance. I think it helped as it wasn't as if we were DeVry compared to Berkeley. UCLA had/has a good rep and when I was a student there, the tuition was a bargain. I got good value. Btw, there are off-campus apartments owned by the school. I lived in one for a year. Since I was dirt poor, it can't have been that expensive. I was sharing a one bedroom with two roommates though. It was during the mid-90's and I was paying about $300 a month.

by Anonymousreply 2505/16/2013

R24, no, you do not get placed. I applied to 4 UCs, got accepted to all of them and chose UCLA. The other 3 were my safety schools.

by Anonymousreply 2605/16/2013

OP, you got 'excepted' at both schools? I don't think you'd get 'excepted' into a kindergarten class, much less UC Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 2705/16/2013

Why even comment on the race of the students? It just seems strange to me. Does it matter who goes there as long as everyone is qualified? To answer your question, UC Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 2805/16/2013

[quote]Berkley is also a lot smaller then UCLA which is huge. Film for UCLA but other then that, I would pick Berkley.

R12, BerkEley is not going to let you in if you can't spell BerkEley. Or unless you start saying "other thAn that."

by Anonymousreply 2905/16/2013

Landwise UCLA is the smallest of all UC campuses.

by Anonymousreply 3005/31/2013

Berkeley

by Anonymousreply 3105/31/2013

[quote] Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 3205/31/2013

[quote]UCLA = Ugly Caucasians who Love Asians

Correct!

The pretty caucasians all go to UCSB (Santa Barbara)

Right on the beach.

Beautiful School, Beautiful People.

by Anonymousreply 3305/31/2013

I think people who go to UC Berkeley still call it Cal, not UC Berkeley. The campus is much prettier than UCLA--has a creek running through it and a grove of redwood trees (unless they cut them down recently.) For many years Berkeley had by far a better academic ranking in most departments; I don't know if that's still the case. There are certainly better places to find out academic ranking than Datalounge! In any case, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3405/31/2013

[quote]much prettier

Oh to the dear!

Shall we assume that you are a graduate of the University of G.E.D?

by Anonymousreply 3505/31/2013

Univ of Mi or Emory?

by Anonymousreply 3605/31/2013

UC Santa Cruz is one of the most beautiful campuses in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3705/31/2013

Yeah, and one of the worst academically ranked schools, Sluggo. You might as well go to UC Merced.

by Anonymousreply 3806/01/2013

[quote]The pretty caucasians all go to UCSB (Santa Barbara}

University of Casual Sex and Beer

University of Countless Sexy Blondes

U Can Study Buzzed

U Can Smoke Bud

by Anonymousreply 3906/01/2013

UCSB is a joke. So is UC Santa Cruz, UC Merced, UC Modesto, UC Riverside and UC Irvine.

by Anonymousreply 4006/01/2013

Unless something has drastically changed in the past 20 years I don't even see this as a serious question - Berkeley. For law school as well. Hands down.

by Anonymousreply 4106/01/2013

Yes, Berkeley is obviously the better school but is it the better college experience?

by Anonymousreply 4206/01/2013

R40 There is no UC Modesto. There's not even a Cal State Modesto. Closest thing is Cal State Stanislaus, a/k/a Turkey Tech.

by Anonymousreply 4306/01/2013

UCLA is better for entertainment and business, and some of the sciences. Westwood does not make a very cohesive campus community. I'd say most kids commute. UC Berkeley is famous for the campus life and many more resident students. Thta said, Westwood is definitely more upscale and clean than Berkeley, with its legions of homeless and its tatty appearance. The Berkeley campus is more beautiful and scenic, and it's just a short hop on BART to San Francisco; whereas, UCLA is a reasonably short bus ride away from the West Hollywwood gay bar strip

by Anonymousreply 4406/01/2013

[quote]Berkeley. For law school as well. Hands down.

Sure, but only if you couldn't get into Stanford Law.

by Anonymousreply 4506/01/2013

[quote]The campus is much prettier than UCLA--has a creek running through it and a grove of redwood trees (unless they cut them down recently.)

I thought they cut those Redwoods down back in 2009 to make way for their new stadium. I know they at least cut down the one tree that the person was living in.

by Anonymousreply 4606/01/2013

[quote]UCLA is better for entertainment and business

Uh, have you not heard of Haas?

by Anonymousreply 4706/01/2013

Each UC seems to have its niche programs. For Example,

UC Davis for veterinary medicine, agricultural engineering or plant biology.

UC San Diego for oceanography, microbiology

UC Irvine for criminology, literature, and statistics

UCLA for psychology, medicine, and theater.

UC Santa Barbara for engineering, physical geography, marine/environmental science, and computer science.

To get the most out of your experience, pick the school with the strongest program in the area you are most interested in pursuing as a career. Who gives a shit which one LOOKS BETTER on your resume? What matters is what school will work best for you academically, financially, and socially.

by Anonymousreply 4806/01/2013

[quote]UC Santa Barbara for engineering

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 4906/01/2013

I have heard of Haas, and worked with some of its alumni. I stand by my statement that UCLA is better for business.

by Anonymousreply 5006/01/2013

Obviously both schools are a total joke! "Excepted"......seriously?

Sounds to me like the OP needs to redo the sixth grade.

Wow...

by Anonymousreply 5106/01/2013

R2, Uh, Ucla is the smallest UC campus....

by Anonymousreply 5206/01/2013

R52 No, it's not. Take a look at UC San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 5306/01/2013

It's totally plausible to me that he was accepted at Cal or at UCLA. I taught adult ed in Berkeley for quite a few years; students from Cal - many of them English majors(!) - volunteered in my classroom. Many had no clue about its/it's, they're/there/their, amount/number, effect/affect, and so on.

My favorite relevant memory from that period: Cal senior asked for my feedback on his senior thesis, wherein he discussed the "mellow dramatic" plight of the homeless in Berkeley. In retrospect, maybe he was right?

by Anonymousreply 5406/01/2013

r54: "Mellow" dramatic homeless--BRILLIANT. How appropriate for the homeless in Berkeley (where I lived quite a few years at one time.)

Or as it's also known, very "layed back." (as in, on the ground. Yes, I know that's misspelled.) And yes, I'm stretching (these keep coming, what is it today?)

by Anonymousreply 5506/02/2013

I graduated from Stanford, and we look down on anyone from UCLA or UC Berkeley. They're vastly inferior schools.

by Anonymousreply 5606/02/2013

Stanford used to be a pretty decent school but it's always been looked down on by the Ivies.

It's arguably better than UCLA and USC but it's definitely below Berkeley.

Still, Rachel Maddow is an alum so they can't be complete idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.