Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I be honest with my therapist?

I've got an appointment with a psychiatrist because I need some help dealing with depression. Got pretty much every symptom on the check-off list, but my most debilitating problem is lack of sleep.

Am a little worried about revealing my history with drugs. Six years ago I was a daily meth user, and I lived like that for several years. Haven't touched it since, but I'm afraid if I reveal this to my doctor she will be hesitant to prescribe the sort of anti-depressants that might make me feel better.

Should I be completely honest, or downplay my past drug use?

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2013

The drugs aren't related, so it shouldn't be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

It's your therapist. You need to be honest about everything with her. This includes drug use. It is a medical issue, too, not just a psychological issue. It's really not that big a deal; the therapist has heard it all and ahe won't judge you.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that you get better, OP. Depression fucking sucks.

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

Oh for God sake don't be honest with a therapist. Make up something interesting and don't mention the drugs.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

[quote]Should I be completely honest, or downplay my past drug use?

Are they trying to take away your Adderall and Marlboro Lights?

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Be honest. The fact that you are certain that drugs are the answer to your apparent depression and are a trigger for dishonesty with a physician indicates you do have an issue with drugs. Also, your choice of a psychiatrist who can write scripts, rather than another type of professional, indicates that drugs are on your mind.

So be honest, and truth the psychiatrist's judgment, which will be based on something approaching a better version of the truth than if you act like a non-recovered doper manipulating to score.

(And don't be so sure, given your history and what you're presenting here, that unresolved issues won't tip you into use again. It sounds as if your recovery is shaky. And you don't seem to dealing well with facing what is underlying your "depression."

Good luck. By the way, I'm a addictive type who did exactly what you posed, and regretted it.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

Of course. If you aren't going to be honest with your therapist you have no reason to go. And incidentally, your history of drug addiction should have nothing to do with the decision of whether you should be treated with anti-depressants. Many depressed people have had rec. drug histories, many self-medicated with a variety of drugs, many just happen like many in the gen. pop. to have used rec. drugs, so just chill and tell your thereapist.

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

My god..if you are not honest you could be wasting months of your honest and get the best effective treatment.

Your past drug use is probably just self medication...just spill the beans and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

Be honest. Just get two or three therapists and be honest to all of them....and lie to the pharmacist.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

no antidepressant is going to get you high and many do help you safely be able to sleep. of course tell the psychiatrist everything. obviously you shouldnt be prescribed benzos, or any drugs of abuse. i doubt shed try to give you any anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

If you want benzos then don't tell him.

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2013

R8 Is that thing about the permanently altered brain chem a newish theory about addiction. Or is it just in connection with meth. The only time I've ever heard that before was in connection with a friend's kid who had a meth problem.

by Anonymousreply 1205/16/2013

I don't think it's just meth but all addictions that can alter brain chemistry.

At least that is if the National Institute on Drug Abuse is to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 1305/16/2013

R13 OIC. They gave my friend's kid Zoloft in rehab. I thought it was weird at the time but maybe that is the current trend in therapy for rehab. I always thought once you quit you could not take any drugs.

So I think OP's doc might be more inclined to prescribe meds if he told him about his drug use.

by Anonymousreply 1405/16/2013

Be honest. If you don't like the treatment your therapist provides, go to another therapist.

by Anonymousreply 1505/16/2013

Why did you take drugs, OP?

(The answer to that might be the answer to your depression.)

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2013

OP they have heard it all. Be honest

by Anonymousreply 1705/16/2013

No Dumbass. Pay a high fee and lie to the Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1805/16/2013

Since it sounds as though your main purpose in going to the therapist is to get drugs, it would be foolish to say anything that would interfere with that. You don't want to get better without drugs, do you? What's the point in being healthy if you can't take drugs?

by Anonymousreply 1905/16/2013

Be honest with your therapist. Depending on where you go, they may want a drug test before prescribing, but, based on your comments, that should not be a problem. Your drug history is relevant in prescribing the correct psychotropic medication.

by Anonymousreply 2005/16/2013

Antidepressants=your body gets fat but your dick won't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2013

[quote]Is that thing about the permanently altered brain chem a newish theory about addiction.

I doubt that it's possible medical professionals haven't aware been aware of this for some time, but recovering addicts have always known. We have a very different tolerance level from those who've never been addicted. As far as I know, it appears to be a permanent condition. I've heard recovering people say that once a cucumber is turned into a pickle, it can never be a cucumber again.

I remember when an anesthesiologist friend was livid about a patient who did not tell him she was a recovering alcoholic and addict. He said he could have killed her inadvertently. They were able to save her because he immediately knew what the problem was when he saw how she reacted but he should have known going in.

You'll probably always have a different tolerance level, OP. It's important information for any medical professionals who are treating you.

Having said all of that, the antidepressants you are looking for are not the kind of drugs an addict would seek. You'd be better off ignoring the posters who implied your behavior is drug-seeking. Your psychiatrist needs to know because your body chemistry is going to be different from those who were never addicts, and that information could have an important bearing on what she would prescribe for you.

Best wishes to you. I hope you continue to stay clean and do well.

by Anonymousreply 2205/16/2013

Reply to no.18 This is the dumbest thing I've eveeeer heard someone tell another person. If you can't be honest with your theropist then you will never get better.

by Anonymousreply 2310/07/2013

They're no better than you. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2013

You won't get much out of the therapy if you don't open up. If you don't feel comfortable spelling everything out all at once, do it in stages. Just tell your therapist that being fully honest will take some time and patience because you've put some walls up. He or she will probably be able to tell anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2013

I don't know if it's even relevant, but if you think it is, you should tell her.

As for a problem prescribing you drugs, you can point out that you did kick the meth habit, something many people can't say.

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2013

OP's original post was in May, so presumably he's made his decision and reaped the results.

So, OP, if you're still around: how are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2013

Be honest about everything.

Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

However, you do NOT have to say everything in one session. Just be honest when questioned and ready to share when there are things that you really feel you should bring up.

If you are not comfortable with a shrink, shop around. They are there for you, not the other way around.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!