Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Powerball is $360 Million Dollars

What is the first thing you would do if you won.

And then what ELSE would you do?

by Anonymousreply 15205/19/2013

Piss myself.

Call a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

quit my job

go to hawaii with this hot guy I know

mail post cards from Oahu that say: Yeah, money CAN buy happiness.

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

First Class. One Way. Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

Pay off all the debt I have. Give my uncle and my closest friend a chunk of it and send my estranged siblings a dollar (to split between them). Move to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Hire the finest whore money can buy.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

Hire a tax attorney to set up an LLC. Claim prize $$ in name of LLC keeping my name private.

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

I can finally join in this for once. I'm in California and we just got it.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

I would travel for a year.

Then I'd buy a penthouse apartment and hire a butler and a driver.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2013

Set up a PAC.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

You rock r6. I had also planned that I would set up a trust for both sides of relatives and my own family that includes my brothers and parents. They can decide who will manage the trusts. That way they all have some millions that they can fight over and screw up and I can be left in peace. That is until they fuck up the trust money.

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

1. Fund research to bring Jesse Helms back from the dead.

2. Marry Jesse Helms to Rev. Al Sharpton.

It would be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

Mail a photo of myself with the winning ticket to my bastard of an ex.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

R4 can I be one of your closest friend?

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

I'd learn how to fly and then purchase one of these:

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

Pay off my siblings student loans, buy my momma a nice house, set up a trust for the nieces and nephews. Generally, just take care of family.

But I would also get a lawyer, be anonymous, and move to Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

If I got that money, I'd give it all to the homeless. Every cent.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2013

I would buy my own room in "Swinging Richards" and piss it all away in short order by "putting hot guys through school"

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2013

Puke.

Call a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2013

I'd drop to my knees and thank the Lord. Then I'd have a glass of vino, stay up late, and then I'd go in to work tomorrow and just sit at my desk and smile, basking in the knowledge that I no longer had to be there.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2013

Anonymity may be impossible. Don't think corporation can claim prize and participation in press conference may well be condition. Oh we'll, guess I will dye my hair and limit my comment to "yippee"

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2013

A few states allow anonymity. most require that the winner's identity be disclosed.

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2013

Quit my job, sell my house, retire to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2013

With that kind of money, you could do a lot better than Florida.

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2013

My labrador retriever and I will head straight to O'Hare, where we'll charter a jet to either Provence or Tuscany and buy a fabulous farmhouse with a pool and a pond. When I get there, I'll text my partner to come join us.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2013

Yes, quit my job, then buy a house in Santa Fe.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2013

First, as R6 suggested, get a lawyer, and keep my privacy.

Second, get extremely solid, reputable investment advisors.

With that advice as guidance:

-- Invest in some real estate.

-- Set up trusts for my family.

-- Pay off the debts of my friends and give them some money.

-- Give a portion to charity.

Quit my job.

Travel.

Donate my time and money to non-profit organizations.

And find time among all the sensible plans to blow some of the cash on blowing some very gorgeous rent-boys.

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2013

Leave Florida!

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2013

Cash the check.

Step back and see how popular I become with my family who hasn't spoken to me in decades.

Spit on them and laugh as they beg for money.

by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2013

Hire a professional moving and storage company to pack up most of my stuff in this house and put it in climate-controlled storage under longterm lease.

Sell this house. Sell my car.

Rent a local apartment or condo as a base. Buy a small cheap car to get around town.

Immediately start thinking about where I want to live for months at a time for a few years. I'd never buy living quarters in any of these locales, just rent or lease.

What I think I'll like about these places may not pan out so I wouldn't want to commit. I can always buy later after I sample living there.

Start a migratory life for a spell. Fly friends in to join me from time to time, but I like solitude, so mainly this will be some time for me to think and travel well while thinking about what I'd like to do for the rest of my life, to give it meaning and foster a sense of accomplishment. I think this will likely involve some creative experimentation in charitable giving.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2013

I'd do what R6 said. Nobody would know. Although I'm not sure how I'd explain all my new purchases when everyone thinks I'm broke. I'd take care of my mom.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2013

I like r29.

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2013

R30, good son!

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2013

Quit my main job while keeping my part time one, then spend time figuring out what I really want.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2013

I would quit my job.

Then I'd ring them up and quit again, just to make sure.

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2013

[quote]Although I'm not sure how I'd explain all my new purchases when everyone thinks I'm broke. I'd take care of my mom.

I'd take care of my "mom" too.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2013

No winner. Now up to $475 million.

by Anonymousreply 3705/16/2013

I won $4.

by Anonymousreply 3805/16/2013

I won 12 last week. It would have been 36 if I'd paid the extra dollar for powerplay.

I'd make a short list of people I'd say pitched in to buy the tickets. BF, business partner and my secretary probably, depending on how big the take-home is.

I'd take care of my family, buy a nice house, big but not a mansion, a vacation home somewhere, maybe two or three somewheres, give a bunch to Lambda Legal and some local charities. I would quit, but as an attorney you can't just walk out the door.

by Anonymousreply 3905/16/2013

I'd go to a fat farm or whatever those spas are called for a month while I figured out a plan. But I know I'd set up college funds for the kids of some relatives and friends and then I'd travel around Europe for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 4005/16/2013

Hire an accountant and pay my best friends home off. I love him more than my family.

by Anonymousreply 4105/16/2013

Do all the legal/financial stuff you're suppose to do.

Do some charity work.Set up some kind of housing help for the homeless and near homeless. Set up long term housing for abused men and women. Buy food for the homeless shelter so they can feed all of the homeless. Set up something for run away/homeless teens.

Set up a trust for my best friend. Pay for my brother's kids college. I'd go back to college and learn about art and world history and literature, then I'd travel.

by Anonymousreply 4205/16/2013

Quit my job.

Get a maid and a driver for my grandmother.

Make a trust for my niece.

Buy a house in the Boston Area.

Donate to SLDN.

by Anonymousreply 4305/16/2013

I would hire a full-time governess/stylist for my collection of Madame Alexander dolls.

I have over 90 of them, and their happiness is my happiness.

by Anonymousreply 4405/16/2013

That's easy. I'd just slide that wad over to my father. He's like one of the top brokers in the state.

by Anonymousreply 4505/16/2013

It's funny how so many say they'd help family, yet I have wealthy family, and I know people who aren't related to me who have wealthy family. They are collectively the stingiest bastards you could ever imagine. They do not help family.

Most of the people in my experience who actually do help family are poor.

by Anonymousreply 4605/16/2013

[quote]They do not help family

How do you think they STAY rich, R46? Only newly rich fools with no experience handling money give gobs of it away to "family and friends." Why do you think so many lottery winners end up bankrupt? They throw money around like ghetto pimps.

Here's a fact--- family and friends ALWAYS have their hands out. You could give each sibling 5 million and they would blow it all and come back for more.

by Anonymousreply 4705/16/2013

$475 Million = $302.4 Million CASH.

You ALWAYS take the lump sum.

Taxes = 39%

$184,464,000 NET After Taxes.

at 3% in Tax Free Muni Bonds

= $5,533,920 per year TAX FREE FOREVER without ever touching the principal.

by Anonymousreply 4805/16/2013

Only buy "nice" houses for relatives. Nobody needs a mansion. Mansions require a staff.

You own it, they rent it for $1/year. They pay all taxes and utilities. Nothing is free in life.

If/when they can't handle it, you throw them out and sell the house.

You already know which family members will succeed and fail with this setup. They will all prove you correct.

The ones who fail, will blame YOU. It's always somebody else's fault for all their problems.

by Anonymousreply 4905/16/2013

I'd figure out how much it would cost for me to live to 100 with a good upper middle class life, figuring in most of the 'what if' scenarios, put that much aside. Invest the rest in an account where the interest is paid to a charity that I'd set up. I think I could have a great rest of my life helping people.

by Anonymousreply 5005/16/2013

Anyone know how much it would cost to buy this place and make it free again?

by Anonymousreply 5105/16/2013

Amidst all of this altruism and Shaker austerity, the Madame Alexander Dolls Troll (R44) begins to grow on me.

by Anonymousreply 5205/16/2013

Damn! I shouldn't have quit my job yesterday! I was sure I was going to win...

by Anonymousreply 5305/16/2013

They've recalculated the prize to be $550 million, $350 million cash.

I'd set up a nonprofit/foundation focusing on the environment, social justice, and fighting poverty. I'd throw $300M in there and give away $15M a year.

The rest would end up to be about $25 - $30 million after taxes. That would be plenty enough to buy modest homes for my gay supportive sister, brother, and parents. Nothing for my evangelical siblings. I'd probably set up jobs for my friends at the foundation helping me find worthy places for the money.

by Anonymousreply 5405/16/2013

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 5505/16/2013

I would split it evenly with my immediate family members and my best buddy. There's 7 of us total.

by Anonymousreply 5605/16/2013

Invest Cdn $800,000.00 in a Quebec business, apply for landed immigrant status, move to Montreal, hire a chef and personal trainer, and spend the rest of my life at the strip clubs. This excludes winters when I would live somewhere on the California coast. And if Colton Haynes is still available for rent, spend a lot of money on him.

by Anonymousreply 5705/16/2013

[quote] But I would also get a lawyer, be anonymous, and move to Ireland.

Those of you who say you would "remain anonymous" need to check into your state lottery provisions. Most states do not allow anonymity when winning and it becomes a matter of public record. It's part of the contract you agree to simply by purchasing a lottery ticket.

by Anonymousreply 5805/16/2013

[bold] Few major lottery jackpot winners get chance to be anonymous [/bold]

Note to the Kansas and Maryland winners of last month's $656 million lottery jackpot: Count your anonymous blessings.

The states, where ticket holders claimed their $218.6 million portions in anonymity, are two of only six states that allow lottery winners' names to remain secret.

Officials in states other than Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio make public the names of lottery winners, with rare exceptions. Most see the identities of winners as a matter of public record subject to open-records law while others say revealing the names adds to the lottery's credibility and encourages others to play.

"People like to see the people who are actually winning," said Katy Smith, a spokeswoman from the Oklahoma Lottery. "If we don't let people know people are winning, then that raises questions."

Mike Lang, an Illinois Lottery spokesman, agrees and says winners in his state must come forward publicly "unless there is a compelling reason not to."

That's why, last week, everyone learned at a news conference that Merle and Patricia Butler, a retired couple from Red Bud, Ill., will take home $110.5 million in Mega Millions winnings after taxes. The two claimed the third and final portion of last month's jackpot in public, per Illinois Lottery rules, Lang said.

States that publicize winner's names do so for commercial reasons rather than public good, said Andrew Stoltmann, an attorney who has represented lottery winners.

"It's a horrible rule for states to force winners to come forward," he said. "The single-best commercial that the lottery has is the press conference that winners hold discussing how the lottery winnings have changed their lives. … There's a real disconnect between the interest of the lottery officials and the winners. The best thing a winner can do is remain anonymous."

Lottery officials nationwide, however, maintain that games involve public funds and as such are subject to disclosure laws just like any other matter handled by governments. Exceptions are made in some cases. In Illinois and North Carolina, people with restraining orders and other extreme cases can remain anonymous. In Florida, law enforcement officers can be kept secret.

In states like Colorado, Connecticut and Vermont, winners can bypass having their names released by claiming winnings through a trust or a limited liability company. However, at least one state, Oregon, forbids such practices and requires that individuals come forward.

by Anonymousreply 5905/16/2013

[quote]What is the first thing you would do if you won

I'd build a house out of weed and burn it down - slowly.

by Anonymousreply 6005/16/2013

Yellow Corvette WITH nav

A couple of suits of armor for the new deluxe doublewide

Buy a racecar and pit crew, enter it in Nascar and see if Mitt and Ann wanna hang

Blow the rest on meth

by Anonymousreply 6105/16/2013

You know, I don't care if they publish my name. I just wouldn't want to go on camera holding onto that giant check and fielding questions from the press as I'm paraded around.

Publish all my name you want. I just don't want my mug on the evening news and morning papers.

by Anonymousreply 6205/16/2013

[quote]Those of you who say you would "remain anonymous" need to check into your state lottery provisions.

LOL! Yep, everyone better go check their state lottery laws. Better do it RIGHT NOW, because you're all gonna WIN!

Love how everyone's being all serious in their replies. Especially pathetic are the people with well thought out, complicated plans.

Snort. Nunna y'all gonna win. You will be toiling at your shitty jobs for the rest of your lives.

by Anonymousreply 6305/16/2013

r63 there's no harm in dreaming. It keeps us going.

by Anonymousreply 6405/16/2013

I'd immediately go into denial. I'd put the ticket away in a safe place, write down the numbers, and seek out a financial advisor of sound repute.

If all is up to snuff, I'd utilize my advisor's suggestions as to my options.

If I hear from a "long lost friend", or a "remember me" type person, I'd dream up a story about how I don't remember.

And I'd opt for an annual payment.

by Anonymousreply 6505/16/2013

[R63] Because of your rant, when I WIN, I'm going to give something to everyone who posted something positive here. Of course that excludes you!

by Anonymousreply 6605/16/2013

1) Pay off all debt.

2) Legally change my name.

3) Spend three months at that offshore plastic surgery mecca -- the one off the coast of Brazil where Tammy Cruise and all the European and Middle Easters royals get their work done -- and splurge on both surgical treatments and a weight loss regime. I'm by no means ugly, but I want to be *hot* (and look ten years younger).

4) Fly to New York and have an entire custom wardrobe created for me at Tom Ford ... preferably *by* Tom Ford.

5) Begin my new life as an international gay playboy.

by Anonymousreply 6705/16/2013

I would build a swimming pool, fill it with quarters and flop around in the fucker like I was Scrooge McDuck.

by Anonymousreply 6805/16/2013

Somebody in my town just won $1M from the powerball drawing. I wouldn't mind a cool mil

by Anonymousreply 6905/16/2013

Gambling, booze, sex.

And the rest I'll spend foolishly.

by Anonymousreply 7005/16/2013

LOL @ how some winners disguise themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7105/16/2013

quit my job. Buy myself a new car. Go on vacation

by Anonymousreply 7205/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 7305/16/2013

I read on reddit once that a poster's sister had won the lottery over the summer and managed to keep it from her family until christmas day.

I don't know if I'd have the patience, but it would be cool to do something like that.

by Anonymousreply 7405/16/2013

Go to the best cosmetic dentist in town. Rip out all my teeth and replace them with implants. Once healed, take the biggest candy apple on the planet and bite the living fuck out of it. Rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 7505/16/2013

I would march into my boss's office and tell that cunt what a shit director and even bigger shit person she really is. Then I'd hire a limo and bring all my co-workers to NYC for the weekend to celebrate.

After that, I would pay off all my loved ones and close friends debt, set up trust funds for my nieces and nephews and then a foundation to start providing low cost groceries for needy families. It's something I've always wanted to do. Then I would donate $10M to Ovarian Cancer research in memory of someone dear to me who died last year.

by Anonymousreply 7605/16/2013

I'd get an apartment, buy a car, get myself into school. Get a job and continue living life enjoying every second of it.

by Anonymousreply 7705/16/2013

I finally fucking got out of the soul-sucking fucking job from hell. I've been trying to get out longer than I care to remember. I got an offer from a company I had really hoped to connect with. They said yes.

I leave in fourteen days.

To me, THAT's fucking winning the fucking lottery.

by Anonymousreply 7805/16/2013

I wouldn't want to win that much money for a few years. I'm afraid if I won now, I wouldn't finish school and I would end up accomplishing nothing with my life. After I'm done with my studies, I'd like to win enough to travel the world having my own "Endless Summer"

by Anonymousreply 7905/16/2013

R59, do you know what the rules are for NYS? Do they allow any kind of trust or anonymity? If they do publish your name are you forced to attend a press conference? LOL, if you are, are you allowed to wear a disguise. I'm thinking ski mask like a bank robber.

Also how do you find an honest lawyer or financial consultant or whatever you need? I doubt you can just look in the phone book and if you're not a person who has friends that deal with lawyers or anything how can you ever trust anyone when there is so much money involved.

I would be afraid to even let anyone know I have the ticket until I hand it over to the Lotto people. I think I'd take my chances and just show up at a lotto office without forewarning anyone. I have nothing like a home or car or family so there really isn't any way I could save on taxes so WTH, why take a chance on letting anyone know I have a ticket worth over 300 mil.

Oh well, as my grandmother would have said, you should only win and then worry about the problems afterward.

by Anonymousreply 8005/16/2013

[quote]seek out a financial advisor of sound repute.

Good luck finding one who will actually put your financial interest before his or hers.

by Anonymousreply 8105/16/2013

If you know the right people you could put the ticket into some kind of trust and therefore get anonymity that way. There was a winner in southern CT a few years ago (Greenwich I believe) who won a bit lotto prize and didn't come forward for weeks. When they did, their lawyers claimed the prize for them under some kind of trust or incorporated entity and they buyer was never revealed. No kidding look it up it can be done.

by Anonymousreply 8205/16/2013

The advice I've read is to get an unlisted phone number (or do what I do and use a made-up name because unlisted numbers aren't well protected). You'll need to make arrangements with your bank to receive funds transferred electronically because that's how it's done. You should hire a good attorney and, if such a thing exists, a reputable financial advisor.

by Anonymousreply 8305/16/2013

bit = big in r82 sorry

by Anonymousreply 8405/16/2013

If I couldn't claim my winnings anonymously I'd legally change my name, come forward, cash my check, then change my name back.

Voila!

by Anonymousreply 8505/16/2013

Just an FYI: You go to a 'boutique' bank that caters to clients with net worth over $5million. You insure your own deposits. They hook you up with accountants and lawyers. They charge ridiculous fees. They don't advertise.

No, when I win I'll immediately go to Mayo Clinic and check in for lab work and smoking detox.

Then, THEN, I'll find a site to build my house made out of ganja.

by Anonymousreply 8605/16/2013

Are they in the phone book or on Google under boutique banks?

by Anonymousreply 8705/16/2013

[quote]You go to a 'boutique' bank that caters to clients with net worth over $5million. You insure your own deposits. They hook you up with accountants and lawyers. They charge ridiculous fees. They don't advertise.

I think I would just dump most of it in index funds and be done with it. I'll bet my return would be better after they took their cuts.

by Anonymousreply 8805/16/2013

I would figure out how to hide from my 360 million cousins.

by Anonymousreply 8905/16/2013

Call Mr. Milburn Drysdale!

by Anonymousreply 9005/16/2013

Years ago when lotteries were just getting to be a big deal, a couple in Illinois won 4 or 5 million (a big deal back then).

They had 6 months to claim the prize, so they had an attorney contact the lottery to tell them there was a winner, and the winner would be claiming the prize in due time. They then quietly sold their house, gave notice at their jobs, wrapped up all the loose ends, and then stopped by the lottery, got their pictures taken with the giant check, and promptly departed to parts unknown. Drove the media insane.

Of course, disappearing was easier before the internet.

by Anonymousreply 9105/16/2013

R85, you act like changing your name takes only five minutes. It's a pretty long process.

by Anonymousreply 9205/16/2013

The worries about anonymity are amusing.

Winning a lottery doesn't mean that you "have" to go all Kanye West and beat off throngs of paparazzi. There are a lot of people who have $350M in the bank who can move about unmolested, whose phones don't ring off the hook every hour or every day, and who are not photographed unless they want to be.

Quick, who can name the top ten PowerBall winners? Okay, any PowerBall winner? The name of anyone who won a major lottery drawing?

As for long lost relatives and misplaced friends and exciting business opportunities that come your way, you might learn to say No.

by Anonymousreply 9305/17/2013

First thing: disappear for a month. London, Paris, Rio - it doesn't really matter, as long as it's somewhere I could have a good time without being tracked down by media too easily. After that first month, then I'd think about my investment portfolio, a charitable foundation and apartments in two or three cities.

by Anonymousreply 9405/17/2013

$600 million dollars

by Anonymousreply 9505/18/2013

Hmmm, I don't think my plans would alter much between $360 and $600 million.

Either way, that's a lot of money.

I wonder how Madge and others who started with nothing and busted their asses feel about lotto winners? It's gotta burn a bit I would think.

Honestly, I think I'd rather win a smaller amount. $360 million is enough to really trash a life.

by Anonymousreply 9605/18/2013

Not a huge consideration on a gay website, but how would you raise your kids after winning it?

If an adult wins they have their life experiences to help guide them, they understand work and (sorry for the old chestnut) they know the value of a dollar, but how would you teach that to lottery kids? They would grow up rotten to the core.

by Anonymousreply 9705/18/2013

Two winners in the MegaMillions $190M jackpot in NJ and Virgina.

by Anonymousreply 9805/18/2013

One of my clients used to be a small lottery corp. The staff had some great stories about winners. Their biggest winner pulled up in a truck, turned down the champagne and party, just asked for the cheque, stuck it in the back pocket of his shorts, said "Ta" and walked out. The person who told me said they watched this geezer sauntering back to his truck with 14 million half hanging out of his back pocket.

by Anonymousreply 9905/18/2013

Wtf did he say "Ta"? Old fucker.

by Anonymousreply 10005/18/2013

I'd try and find a country I might feel more comfortable in, maybe I'd move to the Netherlands and no, I don't mind paying taxes. It is kind of scary, trying to protect so much money from thieves. After that I'd also buy a place in Aruba or maybe Coasta Rica?

by Anonymousreply 10105/18/2013

It would be great to have your name protected. Thanks for mentioning that. So, I guess an attorney would be my first stop. I can not stand the thoughts of fighting off complete strangers who would be trying to scam my money.

by Anonymousreply 10205/18/2013

form the LLC to collect.

Put the money in a few different funds I could get 5% interest on. (should generate 15MM in interest annually)

Break off a few 2.5 MM chunks for family in trust so they could live off their own interest income and not come to me.

Find an architect and build a NICE but not too showy house in my current town.

Tell everyone I received a major inheritance.

Work on writing cookbooks a food blog and my photogrpahy

Donate generously to charity anonymously or through LLC

Travel 4x a year

Buy an NYC apt. in the west village or tribeca for $5MM

Buy a few nice toys but nothing crazy.

NEVER TELL ANYONE I won and try not to let the money turn me into a dick.

by Anonymousreply 10305/18/2013

Build a nice but not too showy house?

Fuck that, If I win Powerball we're in full Bat Cave/James Bond Villain/Koch Brother mode. Secret panels behind the bookcases, fire poles leading to the underground lair, and shark tanks with trapdoor bridges.

by Anonymousreply 10405/18/2013

My PAC would fund progressives to run for Congress.

by Anonymousreply 10505/18/2013

[quote]I'd get an apartment, buy a car, get myself into school. Get a job and continue living life enjoying every second of it.

School? for what? Give $1million to a school and watch how fast they throw honorary degrees at you. (the whores!)

Get a job? Why? To work for someone else?

With that kind of money, you start your own company or buy an established one.

You run them the way YOU want them run, you don't work for some idiot boss.

by Anonymousreply 10605/18/2013

R100, the guy must have been British. Ta is slang for thanks over there.

by Anonymousreply 10705/18/2013

Huge Mansion and STAFF!

Move family members into various wings.

1) A chef. Every meal can be four star restaurant quality. 2) Housekeepers. 3) A butler 4) Car and Driver. 5) Groundskeeper.

by Anonymousreply 10805/18/2013

[quote]If an adult wins they have their life experiences to help guide them, they understand work and (sorry for the old chestnut) they know the value of a dollar, but how would you teach that to lottery kids? They would grow up rotten to the core.

You don't buy your kids shit. No credit cards.

If you send them to private school, they'll get a uniform. No designer clothes. Keep everything basic. They want fancy, they'vel got to earn the money.

"If" you even buy them a car, it should be cheap, boring, and ugly. No kid "needs" a Porsche.

Allowance should be so low that a minimum wage job is a step up in their lifestyle.

Unfortunately, the trend today is to spoil your kids rotten. Even poor people are doing it. It's doing them no favors.

by Anonymousreply 10905/18/2013

I'm with r104. I want a big ass library with the hidden rooms and secret passages all over the house. And a conservatory. And a big ass kitchen with a stone fireplace and stone floors. And a Roman bath with the heated floors and the mosaics.

I would throw the biggest, most vulgar party EVER. Champagne flowing out of the garden fountains and gobs of food toted about by hot men dressed as gladiators.

There would be a giant bonfire with belly dancers and a fucking orchestra.

We'd play hide and seek in the house and whoever found me would get a couple grand. We'd play all night so everyone would get a chance to find me (you can only win once then you have to rejoin the other guests).

And I would hire someone to find Christopher and bring him to me. I would pay him handsomely to be my manwhore for a year.

by Anonymousreply 11005/18/2013

[quote]Their biggest winner pulled up in a truck, turned down the champagne and party, just asked for the cheque, stuck it in the back pocket of his shorts, said "Ta" and walked out.

This is what I would do too. Why would anyone want to celebrate winning millions of dollars with strangers?

by Anonymousreply 11105/18/2013

I don't play lotto but I'm going to give it a try. I only have 2 dollars and my hopeful dreams to lose .

by Anonymousreply 11205/18/2013

Those who say they're first going to get a lawyer, how do you know the lawyer isn't going to rip you off or even kill you for that kind of money?

I'd take my chances, not tell a soul, go to the Lotto office, let them take all the taxes they have to take. Only then when the money is mine, in my name would I look around for a lawyer or adviser and even then I'd probably be afraid to trust anyone with that kind of money. People that wouldn't pull shit for maybe a few million might think doing something horrible is worth it for hundreds of millions.

Most likely I'd look for those tax free bonds or whatever they are put the money in there after giving a lot to my favorite charities and a few people that have been kind to me over the years.

I'm alone so I don't need a big house, just some decent place with a garden to grow my own produce and I'd pay for security guards because I've never lived in a house, just small apartments and to be honest I'd be scared shit, especially if my name got out as a huge Lotto winner.

I'd have a housekeeper a couple times a week for the big things because I'm disabled but the rest I'd do myself. I couldn't see myself having a cook or chef.

Oh and I'd buy the best fucking health care plan money can buy, one of those that covers everything. That would be my big splurge, maybe a safe but not luxury car and a driver because I can't drive. That's it. I have no desire to travel or own boats or planes or jewelry or any luxuries.

Okay, I guess I would get cable TV and maybe a new TV. Mine is a really old analogue with a converter box.

I would buy organic produce until my garden grows and grass fed meat and stuff like that, but I'm not one for fancy restaurants or going to the theater or movies or anything like that. I don't need any more clothes. I guess I'd get one of those tablets that's like a portable computer that you can watch movies on. I used to always keep up with electronics and know how to use them but once I couldn't afford these adult toys I got way behind in technology and that bothers me. I suppose I'd hire a teacher for a few days to teach me how to use new tech things.

Okay, fantasy over. Now I'll sit back and watch someone else win. I just hope it isn't someone who is already quite comfortable in life like it usually is. That pisses me off. I wouldn't mind losing to someone poor.

by Anonymousreply 11305/18/2013

I wouldn't go with the cash payout - I like the thought of "smaller" chunks of money coming in each year, and hey, screw something up, next year, you can start over.

by Anonymousreply 11405/18/2013

[quote]Those who say they're first going to get a lawyer, how do you know the lawyer isn't going to rip you off or even kill you for that kind of money?

You sign the back of the ticket with your full name and make copies of the front/back, keep in a security box. The ticket belongs to the person who signs it.

by Anonymousreply 11505/18/2013

Thanks R115. Didn't know that. Now all I have to do is win, lol.

by Anonymousreply 11605/18/2013

Well, there goes the dream...

by Anonymousreply 11705/18/2013

Well, lost that one. The numbers are:

10, 13, 14, 22, 52 with a Powerball number of 11.

any of you win?

by Anonymousreply 11805/18/2013

Damn, those were the numbers I was going to pick!!!

by Anonymousreply 11905/18/2013

Got the Powerball and 2 numbers. My dream of a eating a McDonalds combo can now come true.

by Anonymousreply 12005/19/2013

Give 2/3 to charity, after taxes, then buy one of those first class unlimited flight passes and skip around the world with no itinerary.

by Anonymousreply 12105/19/2013

I'd take the 20 year payout

by Anonymousreply 12205/19/2013

I'd annex the Sudetenland.

by Anonymousreply 12305/19/2013

Looks like a winner in Florida:

by Anonymousreply 12405/19/2013

I'd buy a subscription to DL.

by Anonymousreply 12505/19/2013

some old geezer won in FL!!!!!! why is it always old geezers who win????

by Anonymousreply 12605/19/2013

[quote]in Zephyrhills, Fla.

Sounds like something you need medicated cream for.

by Anonymousreply 12705/19/2013

Lol R127.

Too bad the money can't be spread out to more winners. Too much for just one ticket.

by Anonymousreply 12805/19/2013

Maybe it's a lottery pool, lots of them have won.

Betcha it's people who work in nursing homes!

by Anonymousreply 12905/19/2013

I didn't win and I'm fucking PISSED. $20 out the window. I could've gotten a blowjob instead.

by Anonymousreply 13005/19/2013

Glad I only spent $4 for 2 tickets.

by Anonymousreply 13105/19/2013

Everyone in America knows that since someone in Florida won, half of the net jackpot will be lost in a real estate scam within 6 weeks of cashing the first check.

by Anonymousreply 13205/19/2013

Some of you people are either the most boring human beings on the planet, or you have no concept of what this sort of money represents.

I mean Jesus H. Christ, you win Powerball and your dream is to get extended cable and start buying your cat Fancy Feast?

by Anonymousreply 13305/19/2013

I'll bet that you, R133, have never been poor. If you've been poor decent food for you and your pets and cable TV is a big FUCKING deal! As is not worrying your electricity will be turned off or you'll never have to worry about being homeless again.

If you've really been poor you know shit like fancy vacations and yachts and luxury cars are not the important things in life. If you've been poor the little luxuries in life, life a place to live, healthcare, utilities like a phone and electricity and food, those things some people think are too good for poor people to have are what's important.

by Anonymousreply 13405/19/2013

I can't believe DL actually has a Cable TV and Fancy Feast queen.

You just know they'll rush out and buy a new car too.

by Anonymousreply 13505/19/2013

Nevermind.

Girl's already got her car!

by Anonymousreply 13605/19/2013

OMG, I have cousins who have second homes in in Zephyrhills, Fla. He's a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 13705/19/2013

R137, what kind of community? Old Jews or Rednecks? Blue/Red?

by Anonymousreply 13805/19/2013

[quote]Oh and I'd buy the best fucking health care plan money can buy, one of those that covers everything.

This is how STUPID poor people are.

When you're rich, you don't NEED health insurance. You can afford the best doctors money can buy. Insurance will only dumb down your care.

If you get cancer, you go to Sloan-Kettering in NYC. The best cancer treatment in the world. They don't take insurance.

The UK has FREE healthcare. The rich don't use it. They're rather pay.

by Anonymousreply 13905/19/2013

I'd buy $175 million worth of tickets for the next one, then I'd be guaranteed to win and have even more money!

by Anonymousreply 14005/19/2013

r138, I've not been there but I don't think it is very affluent.

by Anonymousreply 14105/19/2013

I won seven dollars on a Quick Pick. Maybe I'll buy a couple of grapes at Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 14205/19/2013

[quote]I won seven dollars on a Quick Pick. Maybe I'll buy a couple of grapes at Whole Foods.

Unless you meant to type "seventy," you're not allowed to look at grapes in there for less than $15.

by Anonymousreply 14305/19/2013

Last thing I'd ever want is a 'mansion' with live-in staff. I'd allow only one cleaning woman, not a crew you cannot watch over, to come in weekly while I'm there to observe....none of this let-yourself-in-with-the-key-BS that my mom's cleaning lady of 27 years did. No effin way!! I do not trust anyone so having hired help, other than a gardener, is out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 14405/19/2013

I'm with R144

by Anonymousreply 14505/19/2013

I'd move to new york.

I'd finally see a broadway play.

The movie adaptations are okay, but it's nothing like the real thing.

I'd take care of my mom.

I'd donate to March of Dimes and Susan G. Komen.

I'd finally buy a car.

I'd take a trip to Italy and eat some authentic food.

I'd give money to like a ton of homeless shelters and pay some a family's rent for like the rest of their lives.

I'd take one of those fancy carnival cruises.

But first of all, I'd make sure that everyone I love is taken care of for the rest of their lives.

All the stuff I want can come second.

by Anonymousreply 14605/19/2013

In addition to paying off a friend's student loans & another's IRS problems I would've loved to have been able to donate a million to the organization that trains companion dogs for our veterans. That would've made me very happy. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 14705/19/2013

[R147] you sound like a sweetiepie. :)

by Anonymousreply 14805/19/2013

That's just it #144. Once you have a shit load of money you have to be ever vigilent for scam artists, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14905/19/2013

There are a couple of things I'd love to do for my circle of friends. 1. I'd rent GREY GARDENS for the summer so my BFFs can come and go whenever they like, or stay the entire season if they choose. 2. I'd charter a huge yacht, with enough state rooms to accomodate 10 people, for a 2week cruise down the Amalfi coast, or Croatia which I hear is beautiful. 3. I'd see that my friends, most of whom I've known for over 20 years, are financially comfortable so we can all enjoy the time we have left.

It's no fun having that kind of money if your friends can't keep up with you.

by Anonymousreply 15005/19/2013

I saw a segment on tv re companion dogs for vets & it had me ballin like a baby, but in a good way, to see what a difference those dogs can make. I was saddened to hear it cost $50K to train just one dog. Your donation would've been a god send.

by Anonymousreply 15105/19/2013

[quote]ballin like a baby,

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 15205/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.