Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

91-Year-Old Man Raises Money to Prevent Eviction by Daughter

A 91-year-old man wants to stop his daughter from evicting him from the home he built 56 years ago in Zaleski, Ohio, a small community south of Columbus.

In 2004, John Potter and his wife, who has since died, gave the general power of attorney to his daughter for future matters if they declined in health, including to take care of her autistic adult brother, now 63.

But unbeknownst to Potter, his daughter Janice Cottrill eventually used that power to convey the deed to the one-story home to herself. In 2010, Potter said he learned of the deed transfer and switched power of attorney to his granddaughter, Jaclyn Fraley, now 35.

Potter, a World War II veteran and retired train dispatcher for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, sued to get the home back, arguing that his daughter had transferred the deed to herself illegally because those with the power of attorney are not permitted to transfer assets to themselves from the estate they oversee.

Potter won in Vinton County Court, but an appeals court ruled last year that the statute of limitations of four years had passed on the accusation of fraud and thus the deed could not be handed back to Potter.

Early this year, his daughter and her husband sent Potter an eviction notice, saying they had terminated his "existing lease." An eviction hearing will take place on June 12, during which the judge will have no choice but to evict Potter, Fraley told ABC News.

When asked how he feels about being evicted by his daughter and son-in-law, Potter was at a loss for words.

"I just cannot believe my daughter would ever do anything like that to me," he said.

Janice Cottrill declined to comment.

"The case is currently pending in the Vinton County Court and we will let the court decide the issues," said Lorene Johnston, an attorney for Cottrill.

Fraley, a nurse who moved to Columbus, Ohio, from San Diego to be closer to her grandfather, said she has not been on pleasant terms with her mother and stepfather for the last two years or so, when she learned that they had tried to place her grandfather in a nursing home, she said.

Hoping to keep her grandfather in the home he built, Fraley started a campaign on, a crowd-fundraising site.

About the fundraiser, Potter said he is "a little bit embarrassed that I have to ask my fellow man for help" but he is grateful for others' generosity and thinks it is "wonderful."

While the home is not for sale, Fraley said other family members have told her and her attorney that her mother would allow him to stay in the home if enough money could be raised to buy it.

Fraley said she is planning to get an appraisal on the home, but so far, she has raised $42,134 from 1,781 people in the last month.

Potter, who mostly relies on his pension for income, is not paying rent to his daughter, said Timothy Gleeson, his attorney. Gleeson said Potter hasn't been in a position to make an offer on the home yet because they do not yet have the money.

When asked if the funds could go toward rent on his home, Fraley said that is not a long-term solution that ensures her grandfather will stay in the home permanently.

"What would stop them from turning around and evicting him again?" she said of her mother and stepfather.

Another reason Potter and his attorney believe Cottrill would sell the home is she began selling parcels – about 14 acres in total -- from a hunting property Potter had owned a few miles away from his home last year.

In trying to keep her grandfather in her home, Fraley said she is not motivated by anger toward her mother, but tries to focus on her love for her grandfather.

"People have commented that my mother is 'evil', but I always say she's a human too," she said.

Fraley said she hopes people will donate to her grandfather's GoFundMe site so he can stay in the home for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 4205/16/2013

Potter turns 92 on May 23, and Fraley said she hopes she can give his home to him for his birthday.

"That's his home. Do I think she deserves the money?" she said of her mother. "No, but my grandfather deserves to stay in his home as long as he possibly can. If he wants to leave, it should be his decision."

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

And peg's identity has finally been revealed!

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

Couldn't he just turn a few tricks and raise the money himself? Take out those dentures, grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

What a cunt!!

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Not even remotely funny R5.

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

That's such a horrible situation.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

This is why when people tell me they want to have kids so they will have someone to take care of them when they are older, I just laugh.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2013

The world of a heterosexual is a sick and boring life.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

Wouldn't the statute of limitations on the fraudulent conveyance start to run as of the date of discovery of the fraud? I find it hard to believe a good lawyer couldn't have found a way around the statute of limitations problem.

Something is fishy here.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

Maybe there is bad blood between them and he did not treat her well in the past. We don't know.

My father was not kind to my brother and sister and me when we were growing up. He is lucky we deal with him at all. None of us has sought revenge for what happened, but I can't say the thought has not crossed my mind.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

He's 91 it's time to get his ass into a nursing home. Let them wipe his ass.

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

No, she's just a petty, greedy, hillbilly hag- already picking his bone$ before he's even dead.

Must be awful to get really old and have these jackals surrounding you, licking their chops: "I want that old Chevy he's got in the barn!" "Well I want them Hummel figurines of Gramma's- she promised 'em to me!".

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

R16 Sad impotent racist cunt. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 1705/16/2013

R5 is a fucking troll and not worth responding to. But you're ridiculous, and a fucking idiot, if you actually believe most white people would evict their own parent. There's a reason this little story made the news, friend. Because it's rare and sad and completely out of the norm for any racial group.

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2013

It all seems sad, but then you have to wonder what he did to his daughter to cause her to treat him this way in his old age. I mean, he is at least partly responsible for how she turned out. It was his job to guide her to be a decent human being. What atrocities might this old man have committed that would cause this? Also, what don't we know about this story? Perhaps he really does belong in a nursing home. The story has shock value, but nowhere near the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 2305/16/2013

It's all about a fight over his autistic son/her brother.

The husband of the bitch said if the man drops his lawsuit, he can stay. If not, he has to go.

So, they steal his house and then blackmail him with it. Do what I want or else.

$43,000 has been raised so far. But, the bitch is getting so much bad press, I bet she caves before a foreclosure hearing in June(I believe).

by Anonymousreply 2405/16/2013

R20 I had no idea what 5 was about until you pointed it out - I would've recognised him from a photo but didn't know that was his name therefore didn't get the context of the troll. Not recognising someone's name does not equate to condoning racism, and yet you seem to have a problem with my pointing out the very, very obvious racism in another comment. So either you agree with the anti- white racism or you're a fool. Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 2605/16/2013

The man was suing for visitation rights with his son. Apparently the daughter didn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 2705/16/2013

The daughter could also be solely motivated by greed. Or maybe she is being influenced by her new husband.

[quote]she began selling parcels – about 14 acres in total -- from a hunting property Potter had owned a few miles away from his home last year.

She's not worried about Pops needing to go into a home because he's not able to take care of himself.

The granddaughter is pulling for him, he must have some good qualities.

Oh, and ... R17 -- you're being bested. Give it up already. R18 does have a point. He/she is being a dick about it, but what they're saying has merit.

by Anonymousreply 2805/16/2013

Way to backtrack, R20! And I think it's okay to draw "most" from your assertion that it's a "largely accurate observation about white people" that white people treat the elderly like shit.

You incorrectly used your own generalizations about a specific race to "breakdown" why and how this happened (ie: "White people. No surprise.") and then tried to back it up with anecdotal evidence that is ridiculous and unsubstantiated.

Well done!

by Anonymousreply 2905/16/2013

Here's a picture of the evil cunt.

Bet she caves before the eviction hearing on June 12.

by Anonymousreply 3105/16/2013

R18 is right.

by Anonymousreply 3205/16/2013

father.... who doesn't look bad. He's almost 92.

by Anonymousreply 3305/16/2013

Damn, he fought in WWII and has been a sheriff and a mayor.

Daughter probably hasn't done jack shit!

by Anonymousreply 3405/16/2013

R30 - if you think "White people. No surprise." isn't racist then you are a fucking idiot. It would also be racist if it was "Black people. No surprise". Or "Asian people. No surprise". Do you see how this works?

Does anyone really believe the bullshit that non-white families revere their elders more? Citation please. Real, properly documented, evidence not anecdotal bullshit. In the meantime, here's a name to refute that: Takeyia Guthridge of Georgia. Google it. She stabbed her mother 7 times when her mother tried to evict her. That's some fine elder respect right there. And she is NOT white. Or even white adjacent.

I was surprised that a story about an old man being evicted disintegrated into a racist diatribe quite so quickly, but maybe I shouldn't be. This site has really attracted the dumb-as-a-rock basement dwellers recently.

R17/19 whatever was stating fact.

by Anonymousreply 3505/16/2013

[quote]Does anyone really believe the bullshit that non-white families revere their elders more? Citation please.

God, you're an idiot. Is the sky blue? Citation, please or I won't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 3605/16/2013

R36. If you can't find any evidence to back up your perverted little racist rant then it IS bullshit. And no, stories told by your aunties don't count. Didn't you go to college?

Any ridiculous claim about any race BASED ON THEIR RACE is, by definition, racist.

And FYI there is actual real proof of why the sky is blue. its called Rayleigh scattering. Try fucking a physicist sometime, get them to explain it to you. You know, how evidence works and everything.

by Anonymousreply 3705/16/2013

[quote] Ethnic communities respect their elders. To treat your own parent like that is unheard of within non-white groups. We don't ship them off to nursing homes

Really? Then why is it when my roommate was in one of these "care facilities" recovering after she was hit by a car, the majority of the elderly residents there were either Hispanic or Asian?

by Anonymousreply 3805/16/2013

Why is this thread even here?

by Anonymousreply 3905/16/2013

If you aren't interested in it R39, move it along toots! Plenty of other links to click on.

by Anonymousreply 4005/16/2013

R38 you must have been in the ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 4105/16/2013

And yes, R18 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 4205/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!