Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Geek rumble!

[bold] Police break up rival sci-fi fans’ feud [/bold]

Star Wars fans and Doctor Who fans had to be separated by police after a brawl threatened to break out at a special sci-fi convention.

More than a dozen fans from the rival groups – including several in fancy dress – were involved in bitter exchanges outside the venue.

Both sides admitted there had been a long-running rivalry between the Norwich Sci Fi Club and the Norwich Star Wars Club.

The dispute erupted after the treasurer of Norwich Sci Fi Club, Jim Poole, arrived at the event hosted by the rival club at the University of East Anglia.

He was asked to leave as he approached Doctor Who actor Graham Cole for an autograph – leading to a stand-off which was only resolved by police and university security.

Police confirmed they had been called to reports of a man being assaulted and arrived to find a dispute between two groups.A spokesman said: ‘After lengthy investigation, talking to witnesses and reviewing good CCTV footage, it was confirmed that there was no assault.

‘The two rival groups were spoken to and advised to keep out of each other’s way.’

Organiser Richard Walker, 63, claimed the visiting club had been trying to undermine the convention by posting comments on Facebook.

But Mr Poole insisted he had attended ‘in good faith’ to collect autographs from two actors to be auctioned for charity.

More than 1,000 people attended the convention, which returned after a three-year absence, and Mr Walker shrugged off the fracas.

He told the Norwich Evening News: ‘It takes about six or seven months to organise a fair, but it’s been really good.’

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2013

Eh, no different than brawls that erupt between fans of rival sports teams.

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

What makes you think I won't cut you with my light saber?

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

Except for the lack of actual assaults, they're exactly alike, R1.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

Told you I was hard Force.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Sounds like an episode of Big Bang Theory.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

But obviously nothing really happened because The Doctor stepped in to calm the quibbling geeks.

A sonic screwdriver can disable a light saber any day.

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

I'll bet it was a scathing fracas.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

I saw a couple of pocket-protector shivs.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2013

Vulcan nerve pinch!

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

This is right up there with Twitard fangurl fights.

Team Edward vs. Team Jacob

DIE BITCHES!

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

They really fit the geek stereotype of being a bit nelly:

[quote]Police confirmed they had been called to reports of a man being assaulted and arrived to find a dispute between two groups.A spokesman said: ‘After lengthy investigation, talking to witnesses and reviewing good CCTV footage, it was confirmed that there was no assault.

Calling the police about an non-existent assault?

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

I'm guessing there were lost pocket protectors, inhalers and 'Dungeons' and Datalounge membership cards left scattered on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

Ha ha R5

by Anonymousreply 1305/16/2013

Imagine if this had happened in the US - there would be so many concealed weapons, it would have been a massacre...

by Anonymousreply 1405/16/2013

[quote]Imagine if this had happened in the US - there would be so many concealed weapons, it would have been a massacre...

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a lightsaber is a good guy with a lightsaber.

by Anonymousreply 1505/16/2013

I win both groups would have located and attacked DL's contingent of rabid Game of Thrones fans.

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2013

Back off, I love Game of Thrones!

by Anonymousreply 1705/16/2013

Back off before I roll this D12! *tosses die* Ha, invincibility!

by Anonymousreply 1805/16/2013

I love geek/ nerd stuff but I can't stand those fuckers. They're socially inept homophobes and misogynists and completely intolerant of so many things. Disgusting people.

by Anonymousreply 1905/17/2013

I kind of envision a geek brawl as lots of slapping, pinching and crying.

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.