Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lena Zavaroni!!!!!!

Mama!

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2013

She reminds me... of me. But I advise her to let her nails grow- or they'll force you to type!

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

Sad and tragic life she had. My grandma gave me a Lena album when I was a little kid. I don't think I ever listened to it.

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

The sad thing is that they gave her a lobotomy to cure the anorexia and it actually worked, but she was too far-gone and died anyway.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

I can't believe I remember this!!

Thanks OP! What a trip down memory lane..

[quote]Sad and tragic life she had.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Nevermind - I should read the whole thread before I ask stupid questions..

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

What year was this?

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

She grew up to be a beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

She was known in America? Thought she would be the definition of a local star.

I believe she came from the original X Factor/Pop Idol talent shit in the UK, Opportunity Knocks.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2013

She was everywhere for awhile - and it was fun to watch her. Lena's singing was the overprocessed junk we are forced to listen to now. Of course it was a child's voice singing in an adult way that eventually became annoying...but her album was really kinda good.

Yes, tragic life that could be tied directly to the pressures she was under as a child.

I think her version of "It They Could See Me Now" is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

NOT the overprocessed junk....God I can't Type...>NOT NOT NOT

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

I vaguely remember seeing ads in magazines for her album and seeing her on the Jerry Lewis telethon. I was quite young myself back then and I remember thinking that it must be great to be rich and famous at such a young age. Boy, was I uninformed!

The little girl with the big voice was scooped up at age 10 by a viperish manager. Her well-meaning parents allowed this because they thought their little girl would be a star and live happily ever after. Instead she lived happily NEVER after.

Due to the pressures of having to look presentable as an entertainer she developed anorexia at age 13. She worked a lot; she was a popular performer on "light variety" British tv shows that featured dopey comedy and song standards. When that went out of style, her career declined.

What happened to all the money she made during her heydey? That's never been explained. As an adult she was so broke that she was living on public assistance and was caught shoplifting a packet of jelly (the charges were eventually dropped).

She never had any romantic relationships. She entered into a disastrous marriage that lasted 18 months. Friends later said she got married just to get married and be like a normal person. Of course it didn't work out.

She had severe emotional problems. Her crazy early life must have contributed to that, but it may have also been partly hereditary; her mother died of a pill overdose. She claimed she had "static" in her head that was driving her crazy.

She went in to have an operation similar to a lobotomy to get rid of the static, and even threatened suicide if she couldn't have it done. She had it done, and developed a chest infection that killed her. By then she was half-dead from anorexia, weighing less than 70 pounds.

There's a good documentary about her on YouTube; it's under the title "Remembering Lena Zavaroni."

Also on YouTube is her 1981 version of "Going Nowhere." Watch it; it's incredible. The pain in her eyes is REAL. And when she sings "most of you would tell me that I'm crazy...yes I'm crazy...but I can't help it" you know she REALLY means it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

We've done this already. I remember some years ago we went through her whole sad life and I watched a bunch of youtube videos including some multipart Lena story. I had never heard of her before. She certainly was a ball of fire. But DL is becoming like The Washingtonian Magazine - recycling stories every year for over 20 years.

Where's the thread on Madame de Florian's apartment?

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

not everyone lives here and memorizes all the posts....#r12=pathetic control freak

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

whoa! calm down, upset boy. My apologies for questioning another rerun. Better?

You must have had a bad day or you are reaaallly a Lena fan.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

SEXAY

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

Her life would make a great movie, if they could ever find actresses who would be plausible as the child Lena and the adult Lena.

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.