Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Summer 2013 books

What will you be reading?

I want to finally read Edward st. Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels, about incest, heroin abuse, alcoholism, and general debauchery among the dying British aristrocracy.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

Right now I'm reading a book called "Food of a Younger Land". It's a collection of food writing from the late 1930's and early 1940's that was intended as a study of American food by a branch of the WPA, but never published. Since it was written before the interstate highway system and fast food existed, the articles and recipes on regional cuisine are kind of fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2013

I didn't know Jay McInerney was on DL

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2013

Trashy book recommendations, please.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2013

I'm reading Mary & Lou & Rhoda & Ted, about "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." I'm enjoying it so far. Mostly about the production side of things, not tell-all gossip.

Just finished the VJ book, an oral history of MTV's first five on-air personalities. Kind of dull. Not much to say.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2013

Finished "River of Doubt" about Teddy Roosevelt's eploration of an unknown Brazilian river in 1914.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

I'm finishing [italic]the Mongoliad, book two[/italic], a historical fiction series about fighting the Mongolian invasion of Europe. I have book three on order. I'm flipping through [italic]Vintage Cakes[/italic], looking for icebox cakes to make this summer. Next up is a spy novel, [italic]a Deniable Death[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2013

I just ordered Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How it Changed America. It really was a watershed (pun intended) event in US history and makes Katrina look like small potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.