Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Bea Arthur Naked" painting expected to seel at auction for well over a million dollars

I am not making this up.

If you are a fan of John Currin, The Golden Girls or unlikely nude portraits, you may want to whip out your pocket book and have a go bidding for... this.

Yes, that is a nude portrait of the late actress Bea Arthur, if you could not tell by the title "Bea Arthur Naked." Currin's 1991 work sparked quite the controversy in its day, as many were torn between Currin's technical talent and his "acrid fantasy portraits of menopausal women," as Peter Schjeldahl wrote in the New Yorker.

Fast forward 22 years and Bea in the buff is more valuable than ever. The topless portrayal is expected to sell for between $1.8-2.5 million at Christie's Post-War and Contemporary Art sale in New York this Wednesday.

All we can say is, we hope whoever buys Bea hangs her next to one of these.

by Anonymousreply 5706/09/2013

Whoa!

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2013

I never knew Fes Parker had such big tits

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2013

I do like John Currins work because it's always been deliciously weird.

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2013

Guess who just got their new desktop background. Me!!

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2013

I will buy this and display this over my mantelpiece!

by Anonymousreply 505/14/2013

It should hang right next to The Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2013

Is it a DeKimmel?

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2013

[quote]you may want to whip out your pocket book

That would be the ONLY thing I'd be whipping out.

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2013

God will get you for that OP.

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2013

What knockers!

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

I was just thiking about dear old Bea the other day, and I don't get why she is so popular with gay men.

Can anyone figure it out?

From old to young, Golden Girls is HUGELY popular with the gays, and I don't understand why. And the Dorothy character is also HUGELY popular. Why why why??

It's a funny show, but not THAT funny. Bea was kind of bitchy, but lots of female characters on tv are bitchy, but they don't get the adoring gay fans that Bea gets.

Someone, please?

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

[quote]From old to young, Golden Girls is HUGELY popular with the gays, and I don't understand why.

Hugely popular with the young???

No.

Let's get real.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

[quote] at Christie's Post-War and Contemporary Art sale

World War I?

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

How delicious! Better than Kandinski. And luscious nipples big as dinner plates!

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

Did Bea ever comment on this painting?

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

A gay man is going to buy this, yet it's lesbians who get made fun of.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2013

She didn't pose for that, right? The artist just made it up, yes? Did she even look like that at all in real life? Unless it was done from a photo or she posed for him, I'd say it ain't worth bupkis. Otherwise anyone could paint any celeb's face on a made up body, put it on a Grey Poupon colored background and sell it for a million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2013

For once I agree with John Ashcroft about draping a work of art.

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2013

what about Canadian PM Stephen Harper naked

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2013

That Canadian is hot!

Can someone top that Canadian pic with one of Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2013

This portrait is useless without her penis.

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2013

BEST THREAD EVER!

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2013

Yep, just made up.

"[The] Bea Arthur painting is from Maude, which I used to watch as a kid. In the eighties, I didn’t have TV for, like, a whole decade. When I started watching again in the nineties, The Golden Girls was in syndication. When I had a loft with Sean and Kevin Landers, we’d always take a break in the afternoon and watch The Golden Girls. When I made the painting, I was living in Hoboken and still making abstract paintings, and I was very frustrated. I was walking back from the PATH train and this vision of Bea Arthur just came to me."

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2013

Maude's hubby (Bill Macy) was completely nude in the OBC of "Oh! Calcutta!"

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2013

I always thought Bill Macy had TV's Worst Hair Ever.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2013

Bea only ever posed naked for famed Hungarian sculptor, Laszlo

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2013

Ah là là... That I said, always loved Golden Girls (mainly as a kid) and loved Bea Arthur. Disappointed she didn't pose for the painting, can't see the value if she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2013

Yes. But does the painting answer the age-old question: cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2013

R12 Golden Girls is still a big show. There's a reason why it's being rerun on at least five different cable networks currently. It gets ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2013

It would be better with Shelley Hack!

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2013

It's the new wallpaper on my phone!

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2013

What do you think turned me gay?

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2013

Adrienne Barbeau noted in her autobiography that Macy dropped his pants at some event - for shock value. CBS wanted Lear to fire him, but Lear stood up for Macy.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2013

Couldn't he just paint a picture of little Yimminy, the boy who was raised by a wild moose?

by Anonymousreply 3505/16/2013

[quote]The topless portrayal is expected to sell for between $1.8-2.5 million at Christie's Post-War and Contemporary Art sale in New York this Wednesday.

Good God. By this standard, the toilet-paper-roll wedding dress must be worth $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 3605/16/2013

Went for $1.9 million, on the low end of the pre-auction estimate - is this a humiliation for Bea's big boobies??

by Anonymousreply 3705/16/2013

[quote]Otherwise anyone could paint any celeb's face on a made up body, put it on a Grey Poupon colored background and sell it for a million dollars.

Tee, hee.

by Anonymousreply 3805/16/2013

Okay, that thing sold for $1.9 million?

I have art skills. What celebs should I paint fake nudes of to make $$$? Suggestions, please.

by Anonymousreply 3905/17/2013

Currin's 'art' is creepy and morbid, there is no joy in any of this stuff, no irony either. His art is disturbing and not distrubing in a way which makes you think or makes you curious about his subjects, it's annoying most of all.

I always wonder if he bases a lot of his art on his creepy bug eyed wife.

There's no rhyme or reason why this type of art reaches such astronomical prices. I guess it's all down to hype, the ass kissing art critics pushing this stuff and how much money extremely wealthy idiots want to waste on this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 4005/17/2013

[quote] I was walking back from the PATH train and this vision of Bea Arthur just came to me."

I would check myself into a mental institution if this happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 4105/17/2013

Very nice tits!

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2013

She had nice boobs.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2013

Pat and Kathy, do you still not believe in labels?

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2013

It's an artist's rendering of Bea getting ready to make these phone calls:

by Anonymousreply 4505/18/2013

LOL r42

by Anonymousreply 4605/18/2013

Obviously a fake, as anyone knows who saw Bea in pearls and noticed how they drew attention to her non-existent bosom!

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2013

YUMMMMM!!

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2013

I agree with R40. I think Currin's work dumb and puerile, and am shocked he's reaching these prices. He and the bug-eyed wife (who is an even shittier artist) are total social climbers and apparently Republicans too. Blech.

That said, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I find Currin somewhat attractive. I've seen him in person, and he's very tall and has kind of a hot daddy thing going on. I wonder if he's at all heteroflexible. He's friends with quite a few gay men in the fashion world, like Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford. And anyone who would paint a picture of Bea Arthur topless...

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

Did Jimmy Kimmel really buy it?

by Anonymousreply 5006/07/2013

I thought it was "Jasper" deKimmel? Does he go by "Jimmy" now?

by Anonymousreply 5106/08/2013

LOL at R51! Good one!

by Anonymousreply 5206/08/2013

R12, if YouTube is any indication, lots of teens/twentysomethings post on the GOLDEN GIRLS videos. Some of them lament at not being born when the show ended (in 1992) or that they only recently discovered the show after Estelle, Bea, and Rue died.

Either way, GOLDEN GIRLS continues to be a big hit with viewers. I discovered the show as an 18-year-old high school graduate in 1998 when I stumbled upon it on Lifetime and even then I was thought of as an anomaly. But with the widespread of the internet and popularity of IMDb and online forums, younger fans of the show are finding other fans to talk with, even if they're clear across the nation or in another country.

by Anonymousreply 5306/08/2013

This is a much better painting. Jimmy Kimmell could have probably purchased this at a small fraction of the cost he paid for the Currin piece.

by Anonymousreply 5406/08/2013

A young woman from Iran who volunteers where I work loves the GG's and says that watching the show helped her learn English faster. Every GG death has devastated her. I'm hoping that BW holds out for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 5506/08/2013

I LOVE the idea of an Iranian learning English from this show, r55! Do you ever notice any GG-esque phrasing or speech patterns when you talk to her?

by Anonymousreply 5606/09/2013

I haven't noticed any, R56. She is speaking English quite well, is very smart, and is trying to get into medical school, but nothing GG-esque.

She did give me a huge laugh once when she told me a story about being mad at her sister and then purposely being late to pick her up from the airport as punishment.

Turns out to be one of the best ways to get back at your Middle Eastern relative/friend... Leave them hanging at an airport.

by Anonymousreply 5706/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.