Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christine Quinn's Struggles

Article in today's New York Times. Was her past about to exposed and she beat them to the punch?

by Anonymousreply 8309/28/2013

This isn't related to OP's article. But wanted to put out there that Alan Cumming and Cynthia Nixon are recently fundraising for De Blasio which I thought was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2013

So she's telling us she's a dry drunk?

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2013

Tonight on NY 1's "Road to City Hall" Al D'Amato laughed and said now that her campaign is failing she comes up with this for a pity vote.

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2013

She is corrupt and vengeful.It has been obvious for years and her natural constituency is not amused. The smart gays are voting De Blasio.

PS: She had lunch with Holland Taylor the other day and I dare you to tweet that old lady and tell her that Quinn was using her.

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2013

The fact that she got Emperor Bloomberg a third term is a sign of her utter and complete cluelessness. She also is a nasty cunt as well. The veil of her Queen of Nice persona (a la Rosie O Donnell her doppelganger) is slowly peeling away....

by Anonymousreply 505/14/2013

Worthless piece of shit. She's pulling out all the stops!

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2013

STOP THE PRESSES! AN IRISH-AMERICAN LESBIAN IS AN ALCOHOLIC?!!???!!

In other news, the Pope is Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2013

R8 Bloomberg is a corporate cunt just like Quinn,they are no different in that regard.Most gays can smell a phony a mile away and Christine Quinn fits the bill quite well.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2013

Those are some BIZARRE opinions and assumptions, r8. Go for a brisk walk, clear your head.

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

Aren't mayoral politics, just be their very nature, dirty and corrupt?

When is the primary?

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

I really deeply dislike this woman. So incredibly phony.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

Does anyone think the pro-Israel cabal is really going to let Irish Quinn happen? Not a chance. They're doing a great job of making the opposition look grass roots but it's not.

The effort to take her down is coming right from the top and it's only going to get nastier. NYT will of course gladly participate. They'll get Weiner in there yet. Poor Bloomie caught in the middle but when push comes to shove he'll either fall into line or fail to endorse.

Shame 'cause she's no worse then any of the others and it would be cool to have an out mayor.

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

I am no fan of CQ whose council district I live in and whom I know slightly. That said I find it confounding that De Blasio (whom I think is a smart guy) has such a large gay following. I mean what has Bill De Blasio done for gay people? I think this is a further example of gay people eating their own.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

I would pay to see her head explode on live TV.

At this point, I'd consider voting for Rudy over this obnoxious, lying, corrupt piece of shit for a human being.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

[quote]At this point, I'd consider voting for Rudy over this obnoxious, lying, corrupt piece of shit for a human being.

Because of course, Rudy Guiliani was not obnoxious, a liar, corrupt, or a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2013

r14, voting for a candidate shouldn't be "what did he do for gay people?" It's what will the person do for the city.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2013

What's de Blasio's position on Stop-And-Frisk?

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2013

Hey fanboy R16? Rudy, at the very least, governed and made miniscule progress, though he started the trend of turning Manhattan into Disney World for flyover tourists. Do you happen to live in New York? If so, you'll know what I'm talking about.

You can't deny that crime legitimately improved under him. With Bloomberg, the NYPD now lies and withholds it's statistical figures, and they've been caught on more than one occasion doing so. They deal in racial profiling and stereotyping, something I'm not sure was going on, or at least was as rampant under Giuliani. Christ, I can't believe I'm even remotely defending him but, compared to Bloomberg and his horrible crony Quinn, yea. Rudy looks like a slightly better choice.

Quinn, in my opinion, is just that horrible. And I'm gay and would love, LOVE seeing the city's first out mayor. Not gonna happen with Quinn. Shit, I'd vote for Weiner over her.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2013

[quote]You can't deny that crime legitimately improved under him.

And that was directly due to him and not to an improving economy under Clinton, not to mention Joe Biden's Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act?

I am not a New Yorker yet. I don't like Bloomberg much, and I don't know how I feel about Quinn, although since I will be eligible to vote in the primary, I imagine I won't vote for her. But there was that great expose about the self-perpetuated myth of Guliani that was published in like, Rolling Stone or something years back.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2013

r13 - she is much worse than the other candidates as she has proven repeatedly during her time as City Council Prez. She has operated a slush fund and acted out vendettas against colleagues that harmed their constituents. She has accepted money from developers in return for preferential treatment (see the St. Vincent's hospital conversion) And she is a nasty piece of work om top of it.

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2013

She's probably the first politician I have ever heard of who instead of fighting to keep an acute care hospital in her constituency, couldn't wait to sell it to developers so they'd fill her campaign coffers. Most politicians at least PRETEND to be trying to help their constituencies. Quinn doesn't care what her constituents think because they're not the ones who are going to get her elected. Her donors and political pals are going to get her elected.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2013

[quote]I am not a New Yorker yet.

I'm sorry R20 / VOTN, tell us again how you're even remotely qualified to expand on the Rudolph Giuliani administration and how you really know enough about Bloomberg or Quinn to either proclaim your support or opposition when you're not or haven't been a resident of New York City?

Or, is this yet another of your discussion involvements where you claim some sort of local link in order to give cred to your incessant, non-stop, thread-to-thread bloviating?

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2013

[quote] I don't know how I feel about Quinn,

Why don't you research her before telling everyone else how wrong they are.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2013

r20 has somehow become involved in the decision making process of New York mayoral politics by reading an "expose' in Rolling Stone".

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2013

I loved her in the beginning, and voted for her in her first election. She was smart, knowledgeable about almost every issue brought up, and an out lesbian to boot. But she was also very ambitious, and got close to Bloomberg and sold her soul to become head of the City Council. Since then it's been downhill all the way. But I'd still vote for her over Giuliani. I'm not that crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2013

She's a screaming, desk-pounding asshole. If you've never had the displeasure of working for one of those, I'm happy for you. If you have, I suspect that you'll understand why I think it's important to stop her from getting any more power.

To top it off, she's absolutely on the wrong side of the issues, as well.

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2013

[quote]To top it off, she's absolutely on the wrong side of the issues, as well.

Okay, I get the St. Vincent's thing is bad, but what else has she done that's so terrible?

by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2013

[quote] Okay, I get the St. Vincent's thing is bad, but what else has she done that's so terrible?

See R21.

And read the comments in the Times.

And Quinn never met a developer she didn't like.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2013

She's the one who went to the Times to get them to print her story. So her mother died of cancer and Christine drank and puked 30 some odd years ago? So what? If a political opponent had come out with this information, nobody in NYC would care that she'd been to rehab for 28 days.

She's looking for sympathy, especially after the Times wrote about how Quinn slashed funding for a Queens district after the district's councilwoman forgot to thank Quinn in a press release. If she wants to take it out on the councilwoman, fine. Call her out and scream at her. But to punish the constituents over your ego not being stroked? That's a no-no.

And, as a commenter in the NYT pointed out, running NYC is a corporate-like position. Would Quinn have put her past drinking and puking history on her resume? Would she bring it up in a job interview for a CEO position? It happened 30 years ago. If someone told me in a job interview that their mother died and they started drinking and being bulimic to cope with it 30 years ago, I'd cross that person right off my list. It's totally irrelevant and smacks of massive egocentricity.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2013

She's a complete corrupt non-entity.

She'd rezone anywhere in Manhattan for her real-estate buddies.

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2013

Here's only one example of her vendettas. As Speaker of the City Council she distributes money to districts. When Peter Vallone (who represents a section of Queens) said he was against a bridge being renamed she cut $400,000 from his budget. You guessed it, she liked the idea of the name change.

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2013

In caucus meetings, Ms. Quinn is perceived by lawmakers as aloof and dismissive, rarely looking up from her BlackBerry and [bold] loudly cutting off council members who try to raise concerns about pending bills.

At the end of meetings, Ms. Quinn asks, “Any other issues?” She does not wait for the answer before ducking out of the room, adding, “Bye!” [/bold]

When Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley issued a statement to community newspapers in her Queens district that took credit for saving local firehouses from the annual budget ax, she failed to praise Ms. Quinn. Within an hour, Ms. Crowley was called into a room at City Hall, where a livid Ms. Quinn began to shout at her, demanding to know who had authorized what she considered to be a premature and poorly worded release.

An aide to Ms. Quinn, Ramon Martinez, criticized Ms. Crowley’s abilities as a lawmaker, at one point telling her, “You don’t know when to shut up,” according to people familiar with the episode. (Mr. Martinez, in an interview, said he did not recall using those words at the time, but added, “I certainly could have said that to her” in a separate conversation.)

Shaken, Ms. Crowley left, thinking the worst was over. Days later, she learned that Ms. Quinn had cut the Council contributions to senior centers and youth sports programs in her district. The two now rarely speak.

Asked about the episode last week, Ms. Quinn said that Ms. Crowley had committed “a completely inappropriate, attention-grabbing act” and violated Council protocol. “She was told it was not acceptable, and I did not mince words in telling her that,” she said.

[bold] Did Ms. Crowley have her funding cut as a punishment? “It is what happened that year,” Ms. Quinn replied.

Pressed on whether the move was an act of retaliation, Ms. Quinn just smiled: “It is what happened that year,” she said again, signaling that the matter was closed. [/bold]

These are a few of our favorite things about Quinn. I don't care if she screams at people she is angry with. I've had bosses like that (though I absolutely avoided doing that when I became the boss, because it is counter productive). But refusing to allow city council members to talk about pending bills? Cutting funds for constituents senior programs as revenge for not being praised? No. that's not ok.

Unfortunately, the City Council presidency has a tendency to make people disgustingly self-centered. Anyone remember Andrew Stein?

She did nothing to help the residents of one of Manhattan's last middle income housing developments in her district until it was too late. She knew what she was doing. Those residents moved down to that area when it was still very scary and deserted at night in order to turn it into a decent neighborhood. They turned it into a decent neighborhood and then were told to get out, they were not rich and successful enough to live there. They were two blocks from WTC and watched people jump, and lived in a zone of dust and demolition for years. And for that, Quinn thanked them and kicked them out. Nice. She could have fought for them and won. She had that much power.

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2013

"The cops deal in racial profiling and stereotyping, something I'm not sure was going on, or at least was as rampant under Giuliani." It certainly was.

We are writing Ms Quinn's O'Bitch-uary.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2013

I'm not a New Yorker, but after reading the NYT article "Offstage, Quinn Isn’t Afraid to Let Fury Fly" about her antics, I couldn't vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2013

I'm not sure how ANYONE could, to be honest, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2013

I think Quinn is a manipulator and opportunist. She doesn't care about anything but her own vanity and is too close to Bloomberg for my comfort.

Yes, the City is much better today than it was 20 years ago, but we've also paid the price with unaffordable housing for the middle class, sky-high rents and too much corporatist development in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2013

r8, dislike of Quinn has no connection with horses and carriages. As Council rep for the West Village she refused to act when 1,000 signatures were brought to her office asking for help when kids (from out of the area) ran wild in the streets in the middle of the night destroying property and threatening residents. She was invited to community meetings, never showed.

Years before when there were problems at Two Potato (a bar catering to blacks) she was MIA, afraid of being called racist.

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2013

But is she going to win? Who is the smart money on these days? Is it still on her, or is her long-awaited downfall on the horizon? What does DL think? The last thing NYC needs is a one-horse race.

by Anonymousreply 3905/15/2013

i showda bees beatin dat ho wit a punch

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2013

Today her struggles consist of saying no to thirds and trying to fit into size 22 sweatpants!

by Anonymousreply 4105/15/2013

Don't care how bad she is I'd take her over that creep Weiner. Not only is that guy is disgusting, but his wife's family are up their eyeballs in funding violence in the Middle East.

I'll take Piggy Quinn over those slime-balls, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4205/15/2013

I wish VOTN would deign to acknowledge the posts rightly calling him out as not being quite as in the know the way he fancies he is.

Book smart is no substitute for actually living in the city you claim to understand inside and out. Just stop, apologize and admit others might know more before jumping in with another round of jaunty New Yorker assertions you read about on the Net.

by Anonymousreply 4305/16/2013

In all fairness, VOTN appears to have Aspergers, so he doesn't exactly possess the self awareness of the average poster.

by Anonymousreply 4405/16/2013

[quote]I wish VOTN would deign to acknowledge the posts rightly calling him out as not being quite as in the know the way he fancies he is.

What? I'm reading up on her and processing the information. Based on what I've read, I won't vote for her in the primary, but given that she's likely to win that anyway, I don't know if I could make a protest vote in the general election, because those almost always just mean the Republican wins.

by Anonymousreply 4505/16/2013

Who is doing to win? Does the Blasio guy have a chance?

by Anonymousreply 4605/16/2013

I blame Data Lounge for reading her name as "Christine Quim".

by Anonymousreply 4705/16/2013

r38=racist

by Anonymousreply 4805/16/2013

[quote] Not only is that guy is disgusting, but his wife's family are up their eyeballs in funding violence in the Middle East.

I see someone bought the teabagger talking point spread by the nutso radio host in Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 4905/16/2013

The more that comes out about Quinn, the less people like her.

by Anonymousreply 5005/17/2013

All these people who trash Bloomberg- sheesh- he has been an excellent mayor and all you have to do is take a look around NYC during the worst economic downturn nationally since hte great depression to figure it out. He also was instrumental in getting marriage rights for same sex couples in NY State.

I am leaning toward DiBlasio right now-

(I am a resident of NYC by the way unlike a lot of clueless posters on this thread.)

by Anonymousreply 5205/17/2013

r48, we on to you. Saying "racist" is used when you have nothing credible to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 5305/17/2013

r51 Weiner is making his announcement on video because he's afraid to stand before reporters who'll ask questions.

by Anonymousreply 5405/17/2013

[quote]Saying "racist" is used when you have nothing credible to contribute.

As if, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5505/17/2013

His name is de Blasio and I'm voting for him.

I think Quinn will prevail, but I don't think it's as certain as she's been acting. Her recent change of tone and attacks on Thompson show that they're not as sure of themselves as they were a month ago.

Bloomberg has been a disaster for anyone in NYC who doesn't make over $150K and live in Manhattan, but all you people out in the suburbs love him because he turned Times Square into the Roosevelt Field Mall.

by Anonymousreply 5605/17/2013

Today at a Village coffee shop three gays said they'd vote for anyone but Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 5705/17/2013

I think it's still pretty early in the primary race. Who knows what could happen during the summer.

by Anonymousreply 5805/19/2013

DeBlasio for me, too.

by Anonymousreply 5905/19/2013

NYC is going to descend into Dinkinsian chaos these next few years. Hell, it'll probably be ground zero for the war between rich and poor.

by Anonymousreply 6005/19/2013

Has she said anything Mark Carson's murder, given that it happened IN HER DISTRICT?

Or that there was apparently another gay bashing last night?

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013

Italian-sounding deBlasio began life as Warren Wilhelm.

by Anonymousreply 6305/21/2013

Yes, R62. She was right out there in front of the march on Monday night. Any opportunity to look like she cares.

by Anonymousreply 6405/22/2013

[quote]Yes, [R62]. She was right out there in front of the march on Monday night. Any opportunity to look like she cares.

Okay, perhaps she's just doing that to make the right noises. But she's a lesbian and the murder happened in her own district, and hasn't she been accused of ignoring both LGBT issues and her district before?

by Anonymousreply 6505/22/2013

de Blasio says Quinn's autobio should count as spending in mayoral campaign.

by Anonymousreply 6605/22/2013

Small "d" it is, R61!

"With Patience and Fortitude" is the terrible name of Quinn's memoir. I'm sure the title is a reference to her mother and not Quinn herself, but my Lord that's a bad title.

I hope Mr. Wilhelm's complaint is successful. Love that he's playing hardball with her.

by Anonymousreply 6705/22/2013

Christine Quinn is going down. And her chances of getting elected mayor are dropping, too.

by Anonymousreply 6805/22/2013

I was cheered to see that just about every Democrat is polling ahead of the current Republican frontrunner, the libertarian MTA guy.

by Anonymousreply 6905/22/2013

Anthony Wiener has just announced that he's running. And he will win.

by Anonymousreply 7005/22/2013

God that book title sounds like a junior high school essay about Florence Nightingale.

by Anonymousreply 7105/22/2013

Do you think that Weiner's entry into the race means he will pick up the primary, or will Christine still ace it?

by Anonymousreply 7205/22/2013

I can't stand to hear Quinn speak in public. She's so coached and rehearsed that nothing coming from her mouth resembles anythhing near truth. And the faux sincerity is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 7305/22/2013

What 73 said....reminds me of a patronizing teacher who is trying to explain things but sounds like she is talking down to you. That pic of her hugging the black lesbian during the march was nauseating. She does not have a chance in hell- she is unappealing and would be a detriment to representing the people and the city.

by Anonymousreply 7405/22/2013

What's Weiner's campaign slogan going to be "Out with the dicks and in with the cock?"

by Anonymousreply 7505/22/2013

[quote] That pic of her hugging the black lesbian during the march was nauseating.

No gay man would hug her.

by Anonymousreply 7605/22/2013

Patience and Fortitude are names of the stone lions on the steps of the Main Library at Fifth and 42nd Street.

by Anonymousreply 7705/22/2013

Are you kidding, R77. Fucking hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 7805/22/2013

r65, Christine is making reparations for ignoring the gay community since she's on the city council.

by Anonymousreply 7905/22/2013

Who would have thought she would have the least amount of gay appeal of the three major candidates. But she's no match for a tweeted weiner or a black lesbian first lady.

by Anonymousreply 8005/22/2013

Christine Quinn + NYC = Bloombergistan

by Anonymousreply 8106/21/2013

This is pretty interesting. NTY did a 30 min. piece on her campaign.

Just check the frozen, fake smile in the very first shot of the film.

Hers to lose, my ass!

by Anonymousreply 8209/28/2013

Isn't it great celebrate someone's political rout (and that may be an understatement) with a NY sponsored and promoted documentary all about her utter failure. I should go south so easily.

by Anonymousreply 8309/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.