Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Yorkers/Trekkies - Best Place To Catch A Movie

Husband and I are apartment hunting in the city this weekend. Star Trek Into Darkness opens this weekend. Where to see it?

My friends who are either current or past New Yorkers have recommended the Regal on W 42nd near the Port Authority, but that looks really touristy and I'd rather not give Philip Anschultz any more of my money.

I've read that Loews Kips Bay is the most chill, but they don't appear to have any showings listed for the weekend.

We're staying in Brooklyn to attempt to avoid tourists. Any suggestions?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2205/17/2013

VOTN, there should be *zero* question: the AMC Loews Lincoln Square, which has the ONLY *real* IMAX theater in Manhattan (and yes, STID is playing on it). Buy tickets early, however.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 105/14/2013

I came in here to say what r1 said, so I'll just second it. Also, they have reserved seating now, so no need to show up an hour and a half early like we used to!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 205/14/2013

R1, you've sold me. So, get in Saturday morning, see apartments in Bushwick in the early afternoon, dinner in Manhattan, and then the movie.

No idea what we'll do Sunday, and then apartments in Inwood on Monday. Works for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 305/14/2013

I never go up there unless I have to for film work. Such a hike. Just see it with a Times Square audience like most of us do.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 405/15/2013

Also, Bushwick is a shithole.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 505/15/2013

If you don't want IMAX (personally, it gives me a headache), the AMC 34th St is really nice and much less touristy and busy than the 42nd St theaters.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 605/15/2013

Lowes Lincoln Square is the BEST IMAX in the country, built from scratch, not a conversion. If you're going to pay IMAX prices in NY, it's the only place to go. But as said above it will be sold out for weeks.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 705/15/2013

You're staying in Brooklyn because some of the rents are reasonable compared to NY. That's why.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 805/15/2013

Chelsea Clearview on 23rd Street. Quiet crowd Civilized Comfortable theatres

by The Voice of the Nightreply 905/15/2013

[quote]Also, Bushwick is a shithole.

When I was first asking for advice about neighborhoods, someone recommended it. I liked it the best of the Brooklyn neighborhoods we looked at when we were up a few months ago.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1005/16/2013

Isn't TRECKERS the correct term for Stars Wars fans?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1105/16/2013

It's TREKKERS.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1205/16/2013

Regal Battery Park city is my favorite theater. Its a little hard to find- hidden in a hotel near the WTC but there are rarely large crowds. My bf and I always take a nice stroll in the park after a movie on our way to drinks in the village.

Speaking of Bushwick, I've been looking in the area too. Currently live in Williamsburg (been here 8 years) and checked out apts off the Morgan stop. I found it a terribly depressing area! I didn't see any grocery stores or coffee shops near the subway or on our way to the apt.

What stop are you looking at?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1305/16/2013

Jefferson Street.

The broker I found in Brooklyn also recommended Crown Heights but I'm a little leery of that one. I guess we'll see.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1405/16/2013

[quote]It's TREKKERS.

I decided to reclaim "Trekkie" a few years ago.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1505/16/2013

My god VOTN you're in Manhattan for the weekend and you want to go see a movie? What's wrong with you? Go see it at home next week.

There has to be something more exciting for you to do.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1605/16/2013

This isn't any movie, at least not for two gay Trekkies. And we're going to relatively early showing, so there will be time to do something else more exciting after.

Also, we've got all day Sunday free at the moment, so who knows where the weekend may take us.

I'm still trying to convince him to let me to take him to Times Square at night. Yes, I know it's a neon-colored tourist nightmare, but there's still something kind of magical about it.

But I digress.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1705/16/2013

Apartment hunting? Guess I missed something.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1805/16/2013

I'm going to see it with my nerdy family back in MD this weekend as a special visit. Otherwise I'd go to the Empire in Times Square.

AFAIC Bushwick is nothing but industrial parks, chain link and muggings. I apt hunted there three years ago and it was like an endless blacktop lot.

42nd Street is a lot more tolerable at night, and while walking in the bike and bus lanes away from tourists stopping dead amidst the sea of humanity on the sidewalk.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1905/16/2013

Yeah, sorry, VOTN, you sound like a loser.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2105/16/2013

Seeing it anywhere in Manhattan has to be better than seeing it at a mall in King of Prussia, PA, as I did on Wednesday.

Although I did get to sit near a cute guy who came dressed as John Harrison.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2205/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.