Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bill Hader leaving SNL

With just one departure, “Saturday Night Live” is losing its excitable “Weekend Update” city correspondent, Stefon; its frenetic incarnations of James Carville, Al Pacino, Vincent Price and Julian Assange; and any number of unctuous, self-satisfied game-show hosts.

All of which is to say that Bill Hader, an eight-year veteran of “Saturday Night Live,” will be leaving that NBC late-night franchise when its season ends Saturday.

“It was a hard decision, but it has to happen at some point,” Mr. Hader said in an interview. “It got to a point where I said, ‘Maybe it’s just time to go.’ ”

by Anonymousreply 5605/18/2013

It was inevitable. The best has to leave eventually if there is to be any hope of a bigger career. That seldom comes to be from SNL, with a few exceptions, but I can understand his desire to attempt films or his own show while he's still in his 30's.

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2013

[quote] and any number of unctuous, self-satisfied game-show hosts.

They still do game show skits on SNL? I thought there were only 2 game shows on American television, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. How funny can they be?

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2013

Oh no. Stefon is the funnisest thing on SNL thee days. I suppose it was inevitable, even though Bill has made zero impact on the big screen so far. I sense sketch comedy is his milieu.

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2013

This past week's ep with Kristen Wiig was awful as are most of the eps. Most of the bright spots are the women but they are seldom given much to do. I will miss Stefan though.

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2013

So I guess Sudeikis is staying put after considering leaving last year? I think Hader could do okay in a sitcom, but there are lots of SNL alums who've vanished after leaving the show.

by Anonymousreply 505/14/2013

The "cracking-up in the middle of the skit" thang has gotten out of hand. Mildly funny at first (everyone is human) it now just seems tiresome and unprofessional.

Let the audience laugh- not yourself.

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2013

I hope he does well, he's probably my favorite SNL star of recent years.

Jason Sudeikis should've left last year, now it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2013

John Mulaney left too, so either way Stefon was a goner.

This is sad. Hader is the best.

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2013

What made Stefon so funny was the writers would substitute different cue cards than the ones they used during the rehearsal when they did it live. The look on his face when he read the new card was priceless!

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2013

'Mo or no?

by Anonymousreply 1005/14/2013

I guess his film career is taking off which is good. He doesn't want to end up like the guy who did Magruber. WEHT him?

I guess Fred will be leaving soon though he seems to barely be on the show anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2013

Speaking of unctuous, I loved him as Keith Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 1205/14/2013

Wasn't Sedeikus trying to leave last year? Surprised that he's staying on another season.

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2013

Big mistake . He's great because of the variety of characters. Put him in a movie , as 1 character, for 2 hours , and it won't work.

by Anonymousreply 1405/14/2013

[]quote]“It got to a point where I said, ‘Maybe it’s just time to go.’

Funny wording -- was he unhappy?

Is John Mulaney not on the writing staff anymore?

by Anonymousreply 1505/14/2013

So what's he going to do?

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2013

R15, he left to do The John Mulaney Show. Nasim Pedrad was also leaving to do the show, but it didn't get picked up. It was a Lorne Michaels show so maybe they'll both return.

I'd live to see John do WeekendUpdate.

by Anonymousreply 1705/14/2013

There are a handful of SNL performers that appear onscreen that make me smile before they say a word. Bill is one of them (Daryl Hammond or Jay Pharoah have the opposite effect). I hope he's a hit at whatever he wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 1805/14/2013

Do people actually still watch this show?!

by Anonymousreply 1905/14/2013

[quote] They still do game show skits on SNL? I thought there were only 2 game shows on American television, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. How funny can they be?

It's bizarre how many game show parodies SNL writes and produces. You'd think it was 1975 and game shows ruled the airwaves. I can only assume the writers spend a huge amount of time stoned and watching Game Show network.

by Anonymousreply 2005/14/2013

The requisite "Does anyone still watch this show?" post took longer than expected this time.

If Bill doesn't make it in film (likely), he can probably always find work at South Park, which I think might end up like The Simpsons and never end.

by Anonymousreply 2105/14/2013

[quote]Do people actually still watch this show?!

No they don't. In fact, it went off the air two years ago but nobody noticed.

by Anonymousreply 2205/14/2013

There's speculation Mulaney might get the Weekend Update slot when Seth Meyers leaves to do Late Night.

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2013

[quote]It's bizarre how many game show parodies SNL writes and produces. You'd think it was 1975 and game shows ruled the airwaves.

I think a big reason they do so many is that they're easy skits to block -- everyone just stands there behind their podiums.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2013

Even without Mulaney, I hope there's a Stefon farewell bit this Saturday night. I'm sure Hader can do it in his sleep! One by one, SNL gets decimated...

by Anonymousreply 2505/16/2013

He is too old to be portraying a gay club kid.

by Anonymousreply 2605/16/2013

Not getting the Stefon love. Yet one more character SNL ran into the ground.

And I never find the "Oh! Look! I'm breaking character because I'm laughing!" thing amusing.

by Anonymousreply 2705/16/2013

I would love to see Stefon and Seth walk off together after their last Weekend Update. On another note, does anyone know who actually has the rights to the character -- Mulaney who created Stefon or NBC/SNL?

by Anonymousreply 2805/16/2013

OP, why do you keep posting NYT article links that require a subscription to read them? Why are you unable to post accessible links to the NYT like everyone else?

by Anonymousreply 2905/16/2013

EW Update - Looks like the 2013-2014 television season will be a rebuilding year for SNL.

An unnamed source at NBC has confirmed to the New York Post that longtime castmember Fred Armisen has decided to exit the sketch show after 11 seasons. That same source tells the Post that SNL veteran Jason Sudeikis will “probably” leave the show as well this year. NBC had no comment, and reps for Armisen and Sudeikis didn’t immediately respond to EW’s inquiries.

It would hardly be a shock if these exit rumors turn out to be true. While Armisen was once a dominant presence on Saturday Night Live, his appearances on the show have grown less frequent since he began devoting himself to his own sketch series, IFC’s Portlandia, in 2010. And Sudeikis has been pondering leaving the show for nearly a year. When Mitt Romney lost last year’s presidential election, SNL‘s designated Romney impersonator also lost his best reason to stick around Studio 8H.

If Armisen and Sudeikis do say goodbye in SNL‘s 38th season finale this weekend, they’ll join fellow departing cast member Bill Hader, who announced his own exit earlier this week. SNL‘s Weekend Update anchor Seth Meyers is also leaving the show, albeit not until 2014 — as the show’s current head writer explained on the Today show this morning. Meyers will return to SNL in the fall and leave halfway through the season to concentrate on his new gig hosting NBC’s Late Night.

These departures would leave Kenan Thompson as SNL‘s most senior cast member, with 10 seasons under his belt. He’s followed by Bobby Moynihan, who joined the show in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 3005/16/2013

[quote]These departures would leave Kenan Thompson as SNL‘s most senior cast member

I can't wait to see the next 14 episodes of "What's Up With That?"!

by Anonymousreply 3105/16/2013

And who will play Lindsay Buckingham on those 14 episodes of What Up with Dat? Spare me.

by Anonymousreply 3205/16/2013

What else can he do?

by Anonymousreply 3305/17/2013

Is it possible that tomorrow's SNL could be the very last one ever? I mean NBC is pulling the plugs on virtually all their shows from this season. If it's Sudeikis and Armisen's farewells as well as Hader's, they got plenty of nuttin left.

by Anonymousreply 3405/17/2013

They should have pulled the plug on SNL 19 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3505/17/2013

I will mis Stefon. R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 3605/17/2013

I'm hoping Stefon turns up from time to time on Seth Meyers' show.

by Anonymousreply 3705/17/2013

Lorne wants a fresh new crop of youngsters for his stable. Hader is still doing Gregory Peck imitations.

The only audience left is the college-aged, killing time before they hit the bars.

by Anonymousreply 3805/17/2013

I never heard of him until I saw him in Sarah Marshall and I found him very funny in that.

by Anonymousreply 3905/17/2013

I think they need to go back to having the original count of 7 or 8 SNL players with just one or two featured players, like it was in it's first five seasons with the original cast.

by Anonymousreply 4005/17/2013

I didn't know Seth was taking over Late Night.

by Anonymousreply 4105/17/2013

SNL had been renewed already. Lorne did not want to lose Bill. Hader was so nervous about telling him last Feb he claims he nearly fainted.

Mulaney didn't create Stefon, they write it together. But the voice and mannerisms are all Hader.

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2013

The one character that Hader introduced this year that I really wanted to see more of was the hysterically screaming fireman. That character was absolutely hilarious. Adam Levine was the guest host that episode.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2013

Something very special will be done involving Stefon and Seth tonight and it will include a surprise appearance by a DL favorite. Or so I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2013

EW Magazine made a list of some of Stefon's hottest club recommendations.

Probably only funny if you can picture him reading it.

by Anonymousreply 4505/18/2013

I am old enough to remember at least twice that SNL was declared DOA, only to gin up a new superb cast that seemed as good as any excepting the original. Don't underestimate Lorne. He's still got a much younger head than many comedy show runners 25 years his junior.

by Anonymousreply 4605/18/2013

Bill deserves another Emmy nom this season for this sketch alone!

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2013

[quote]The one character that Hader introduced this year that I really wanted to see more of was the hysterically screaming fireman. That character was absolutely hilarious

If you thought that character was funny, you should watch Adventure Time since that character was a nod to Lemongrab.

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2013

who?

by Anonymousreply 4905/18/2013

I loved Bill Hader, always one of the best of the cast.

But SNL needs to get the cobwebs out and replace its writers and older performers. Kenan and Bobby M are so not funny, and desperately need to go. Time for new blood.

by Anonymousreply 5005/18/2013

I will not miss Stefon. The most amateur of community theater actors knows better than to break character. To base an entire character on that is the height of unprofessionalism, and of throwing such in the face of the general viewing public who have to do their jobs correctly, getting paid 1/100th of what he is.

by Anonymousreply 5105/18/2013

r51 Grumpy McSourpuss! Stuart, what does mamma say about boys who don't have a sense of humor? what does mamma say?

by Anonymousreply 5205/18/2013

Sorry, R52, didn't realize you posted here, Mr. Hader.

by Anonymousreply 5305/18/2013

A video of Stefon's best moments:

by Anonymousreply 5505/18/2013

[quote]The only audience left is the college-aged, killing time before they hit the bars.

Funny you should say that; the college audience was what made the show a cult hit in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 5605/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.