Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Well, Daft Punk's New Album Sucks

Massive blowback for them. No one wants to hear boring 1970s disco sans hard-hitting electronic dance music. I don't know what they were thinking. Working with Pharrell on two songs, even using one of them as the lead single, was just insane. There's not on stand out track on this album.

by Anonymousreply 7901/28/2014

Entertainment Weekly posted a raving review of one of the singles. So I downloaded it. WTF? It just sounded so MOR. Yick.

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2013

This is Bowie all over again. These critics give rave reviews because the industry demands it, and the public, which has been brainwashed ahead of time, made to believe that such and such release is going to be a game changer, also demand it. It's really ridiculous, and it's really getting old at this point. I have a desire for nitpicking critics now. Enough ass kissing.

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2013

[quote][[R2]]must also be a 9/11 truther.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2013

"Get Lucky" isn't atrocious, but it isn't very good, either. I was really excited for the new album before hearing "GL", which deflated me a bit. Buzz from critics I respect who've listened to it is mixed at best.

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2013

Yes, the Pharrell connection is, to me, deadly. Daft Punk went mall rat & bridge&tunnel to sheepleville, Justin Timberlakeland with their work with Disney and Tron. This is further brand devolution. At least it puts Chic, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards back in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2013

It's a little self indulgent. They are paying homage to thier hero Georgio Moroder

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2013

This is clearly their most palatable album (to the average music listener) and the one that will make them rich. It's not bad, just a complete sellout. They've been on the path to this for a while - see the Disney movie, etc.

That said, I don't mind this release.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

It is the crap coming from other EDM releases which makes Daft Punks "Get Lucky" sound so good by comparison.

(See the UltraMusic Festival for details)

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

I'm pretty sure record companies today surf teenage sites, Facebook and Twitter feeds, then tell their A&R people to find me a "XYZ" type.

There is no money in music sales, because nobody under 20 has ever paid for music. So nobody seriously bothers with the music development. It is all about the show hype - AKA Beiber/Swift.

EDM is just lowering the bar another notch. Rap is similarly bad music and talentless, but Rap was not created because there was no money in selling music. Rap was the "anyone can be a star genre".

The EDM shows are quite amazing even though the music is lame. Stick a well amped beat under any crap with a 21st century light show and people will dance to it.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

Rap use to mean something, it was street politics, it had something important to say and it said it. It all went to shit when people like Diddy and Jay-Z realized they could become vastly wealthy by selling stereotypical ghetto shit to bored white kids.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2013

Not at all r14, I alway have a problem with Justin Timblerlake and Justin Biber.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2013

Q gave it 5 out of 5, so we know it appeals to the radio 2 listening middle-aged dad who thinks he is still street.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2013

I hate that rap/hip hop killed funk and soul bands. The worst part is that many rappers have built their careers on the sampling of great hooks from those bands.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2013

The Paul Williams' song is both awkwardly horrible and great. I was wondering if it was THAT Paul Williams, who I just watched a sort of horrible yet great documentary on.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2013

America loves Country Music and Jesus.

Daft Punk look like weird commie homosexuals to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2013

Is it as good as their earlier albums? No. But given what passes for dance music these days (David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Skrillex, crap like that...) it is Mozart-like genius.

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2013

I would take the music of Skrillex over Taylor "Twit" Swift any day, even though he is a lying closet case.

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2013

R25, so "weird commie homosexuals" look like robot Pez dispensers?

by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2013

Funny, Adam Lambert worked with both Pharell and Nile on his album and went for that disco funk thing too.

The one with Nile called Shady reminds me a little of Get Lucky. Both have Niles funy guitar line and both are about being on the prowl at night to get lucky. Except adam's looking for a dude.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2013

Yes, R30, because everyone considers Daft Punk to be in the same league as a screeching AI runner-up.

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2013

To the Nashville crowd, anyone who is different than them, is classified as a weird commie homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2013

So derivative and uninspired.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2013

They've always been overrated. They have some good songs, but nothing to deserve the acclaim they get. They've always been derivative. People are such sheep when it comes to them. I bet they know it and are secretly embarrassed by their fans.

by Anonymousreply 3605/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3705/16/2013

You know there will always be one big album left because Daft Punk will eventually pull a "KISS" and reveal themselves to the world.

by Anonymousreply 4005/16/2013

Daft Punk = Mainstream crap for morons. End of.

by Anonymousreply 4205/16/2013

So sad, to think there has been some brilliant albums released this year, and they will be ignore by the press and the public in favor of this utter undiluted shite.

Music "journalists" are the worst thing to happen to music since MTV.

by Anonymousreply 4305/16/2013

Who will they get to guest on their next album, Justin Biber? Probably.

by Anonymousreply 4405/16/2013

When I think of shit mainstream dance music I mostly think of David Guetta.

by Anonymousreply 4705/16/2013

Oh Please, it's crap. Commercial success in this day and age equates low-brow shit.

by Anonymousreply 4905/16/2013

[quote]Daft Punk SELL A LOT OF MUSIC, so what they are creating, is what the people like.

People don't like this album.

All those pre-orders. People are gonna riot. lol!

by Anonymousreply 5005/16/2013

DP will not be touring, nor be making any music videos for this album. They even shelved the video with Pharrell that they were using for commercials.

by Anonymousreply 5105/16/2013

[quote]It got 10/10 in the NME. They very very rarely dish out that.

Yes they do. They're now Teen Bop Magazine. They dumbed themselves down a couple of years ago to get more sales.

by Anonymousreply 5205/16/2013

[quote]Pharrell is extremely talented. There's no need to "ignore" his work on this album.

He's a one-trick pony, and he turned DP into him with his crappy song.

by Anonymousreply 5305/16/2013

I think DP are best when they don't collaborate or feature guest vocalists, whereas Air's best songs feature Beth Hirsch or Thomas Mars.

by Anonymousreply 5505/16/2013

The Pharrell song, Get Lucky, is simply atrocious. I cannot understand how anyone thinks it's good or cool. Sometimes it sucks being so much better than Joe public, I guess the little people get it.

by Anonymousreply 5705/16/2013

Speaking of Thomas Mars, I'm really liking the new Phoenix album. Much better French reinterpretation of American music.

by Anonymousreply 5905/16/2013

R58, Mozart was the pop music of his time. Complex he is not.

by Anonymousreply 6105/17/2013

R61 does not know about the Requiem, or is desperately trying to equate Taylor Swift with Mozart, which happens a lot on the teengirl boards, but usually not on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6305/17/2013

[quote]Yes they do. They're now Teen Bop Magazine. They dumbed themselves down a couple of years ago to get more sales.

True. I don't buy it anymore (too old now anyway), just skim it in the shops. The writers of the 90s were brilliant.. they were much more scathing before.

Anyway, the three tracks NME highlight to download didn't include "Get Lucky" so I'm very curious. I'll put in my iTunes pre-order.

Has Pitchfork came in? I kinda hate them and their hipster indie snob elitism, but they're much more likely to tell it how it is if it indeed sucks. The writers there have opinions and aren't paid shills.

by Anonymousreply 6405/17/2013

Pitchfork are such affected Kill Whitey Hipsters. If Pharrell has anything to do with it, They'll cum all over it multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 6505/17/2013

I've kinda burnt out "Get Lucky". When I first blind bought it, I played it like 5 times in a row it was so amazing, loved it on first play. It's on the radio all the time as well.

I don't think it sounds like a generic Pharrell track at all as someone said in the other thread. It doesn't even sound like his vocals until the chorus, the verses sound very much like a French disco singer. Daft Punk or half of them at least of course did "Music Sounds Better with You".

by Anonymousreply 6605/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 6705/18/2013

Oh R64, you sound old. Pitchfork are reactionary snobs who will take whatever position they think is cool. They are notorious for slamming classic albums on first release because they deem them not cool and will then go back and remove or change old reviews when the popular opinion changes. They're only worth reading to get a sense of what the general trend is on music.

by Anonymousreply 6805/23/2013

I know r68, didn't they trash In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, when it was first released, gave it a 3 or something. Then voted it 3rd best album of the 90s a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 6905/23/2013

The album sucks. What's left to discuss?

by Anonymousreply 7301/28/2014

"If you lose your way tonight, that's how you know the magic's right!!"

by Anonymousreply 7401/28/2014

A couple of great songs,

a couple of horrible songs

and a whole lot of just o.k. ones.

by Anonymousreply 7701/28/2014

Haha R70! Get Lucky was my song of the summer.

by Anonymousreply 7801/28/2014

Could they be the return of Milli Vanilli in mufti?

by Anonymousreply 7901/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!