Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Adopted A Kitten Today

He's almost 8 weeks old. I found out that he was only neutered the day before I adopted him. Is that normal? The shelter brought a whole bunch of kittens to a pet shop for people to adopt, so the cats also traveled. I guess they don't give them a couple of days to recover from surgery? It looks like he got all his tests (vaccinations) done on the same day as his was neutered. They get results back that quickly?

by Anonymousreply 6305/16/2013

Most shelters neuter animals before they adopt them out. Kittens that young can be neutered, although males usually take a day or two to bounce back, IMO. You got a fiesty little bugger. They test for FIV and FeLV in the vets office, so don't need to wait for lab results to come back.

Enjoy your new kitten!

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2013

That is too young to neuter- usually it's 4 months as the minimum. He might have a tiny little head then as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2013

[quote]He might have a tiny little head then as an adult.

How's that?

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2013

You think the vet will clip his nails? They're so fucking sharp, yet so thin and little. I'm too afraid I'll take the whole nail off. He's also fidgety. I'll gladly do it as he gets bigger. He's so small. He actually hung onto my back as I stood up. His claws hurt like a sonofabitch! I have to say that he's really well-behaved. He slept the entire way home in the car. No accidents. He played when we got home. He slept through the night. Not a peep. He does meow a lot though. It's not painfully loud. I was wondering if he was still hurting from the surgery. I get that animals have to get used to their new surroundings. It's probably what a few of the meows are about. I never had a kitten before. I know what they're like now! The amount of energy he has is incredible. Thank god I got a laser pointer! lol

I have a giant cat tree for him, tons of twos, battery operated floor mouse, scratching posts all over the place. Bottom line, you name it, I bought it. The nice thing is, he's using everything. My last cat couldn't have cared less. This new cat does like plastic bags.

It'll be nice to see him grow. I didn't have that with my last cat.

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2013

It's normal. I am the OP of the "Help! Feral Cat Had Kittens on my Deck" thread. I took all 5 kittens to the local rescue society to be spayed/neutered. I picked them all up the next day (they looked so forlorn, but so cute in their 2 little nylon carriers) the next day. As soon as they got home, they were tumbling around except for the female who slept a bit more and who was comforted by one of her brothers. But the day after that, she was up and about, playing along with the boys.

I feel bad though, because the female kitten came home with a pouch on her stomach and she became very fat after that. I think she was spayed by a first year veterinary intern.

by Anonymousreply 505/14/2013

OP, the vet (or groomer, see if the petstore where you adopted him has one onsite or can recommend) will clip his nails and show you how to do it. That emery cat scratching thing works well, but you still need to clip his nails. They also make little colored nail cap things but I can't imagine they'd be easy to get on or be comfortable.

Do not let kitty play with plastic bags unattended, just like a child they can suffocate, especially if the get tangled in them. When you play with the laser pointer, make sure you give kitty a treat afterwards, otherwise it's hunting with no catch/reward and is incredibly frustrating.

Put all of your breakable stuff away for the next year and a half. If you put up a christmas tree, well, good luck with that!

Have fun, how can you not with a kitten!

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2013

I put unbreakable stuff on my Christmas tree since getting cats and it looks quite nice. I put candy canes (real ones) on it, red shatterproof ornaments and white snowflakes. I put one string of white lights on and put decorative light covers on them. Then I put colored lights on the tree. I sprayed some of that cat-away stuff behind the tree and it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2013

My male cat was neutered at 8 weeks. He is a bit smaller and he doesn't have that huge "baseball head" that many males have. And his meow is high. But his musculature is all there. He's a guy.

It's unfortunate that often kittens have to have all the procedures done in one day, to save time (rabies, flea treatment, vaccinations, etc.). I worry how they can handle all that at once.

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2013

I looked it up, and apparently, neutering them at 8 weeks is now becoming the norm. Some vets will even do it the moment the cat reaches two pounds, regardless of age. He gets checked out tomorrow.

I have a groomer coming over tonight. I can't wait for the vet tomorrow to trim his claws. He's literally killing. He walks on my thighs and is ripping through my skin. They don't look like their curling and stabbing him in his pads, but I can tell that even he is annoyed by them. I tried clipping them myself tonight. I got ONE. He was climbing right up my body with those damn knives of his!

Thanks for the info regarding the plastic bag. How dumb that I didn't even think of that. I put it away. I had to take the trash out, so I put him back in his carrier so he wouldn't run out. That brings up another question: do people ever get big cages to put their pets in while they have to do something that the cat can't get involved in? My house is pretty open, which means that most of the doors are on the second floor. I hate having to walk all the way up there to trap him for a few minutes. If there's a knock on the door, I'd want to put him somewhere fast. Maybe a big cage would be a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2013

OP make sure you take your kitten to the vet to have a check-up. Your kitten might have worms. If s/he he was frequent diarrhea, that might be a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 1005/14/2013

r10, I have an appointment for tomorrow. I'm doing the 48-hour 'get them to the vet' routine. He was checked for a ton of things the day before I got him. They gave me a three page report. The vet wants a stool sample. I have no idea how to get that? Am I suppose to watch him go, and then get it before he buries it?!

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2013

Do you watch Jackson Galaxy (the cat whisperer) on My Cat from Hell. I love that show!

by Anonymousreply 1205/14/2013

Have patience, #9. My kitten clawed my legs bloody when I would play little games with him. At that age it's all they know- UNLEASH CLAWS.

Often when taken from their moms too early (for whatever reason) they don't get the proper 'education' (aka 'smackdown') that only a stern mother can give- and they're a little wild/scared.

You're Mom now. Pull him away and say "No! No scratch!".

Make sure cats have those burlap rope scratching poles to keep their nails from getting too sharp.

I've read that cats meowing at humans is their attempt to imitate human speech. Cats rarely meow at each other. He's trying to talk to you.

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2013

r11 it's okay if the stool is covered in litter. That's fine.

I brought my then kitten's stool covered with litter and told the vet tech I didn't have anything "fresh." She said it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 1405/14/2013

Well, he talks to much! lol. ;)

The report they gave me had his date of birth? How could they know this? He was found on the street, so it says. Do you think it was a pregnant mother who was brought in, and then she had kittens which would then give them a date? It's specific on the documents. I mean, you don't think they put the day he was put in as the date of birth, do you?

by Anonymousreply 1505/14/2013

It was probably a pregnant mom who gave birth at the shelter.

Your kitten sounds like a lucky boy, OP. Have fun with him. Saying "ow" usually gets their attention; it worked for my kittens. Don't let him play that game where he attacks your ankles, or you'll be dealing with that every time you get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom for the next 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2013

r15 I was told that shelters tend to fib about the ages of the resident animals. A vet would be able to tell you the proximate age of your cat by examining its teeth.

My cat who is now 11.5, was a very big 5-month old The vet didn't believe he was 5-months. After checking his teeth, he comfirmed that my cat was about that age.

by Anonymousreply 1705/14/2013

You'll know he's about 3 months old when you start stepping on his baby teeth. When all his adult teeth are in he'll be about 6 months old.

by Anonymousreply 1805/14/2013

I adopted my five/six week old kitten in June during a heat wave. My legs from the lower thighs on down were covered with scratches. She was a playful hellion, so incredibly active that it startled me. I don't think she was bored as I was working from home at the time and entertained her (and she had plenty of toys). She would get bursts of seemingly interminable energy and just RUN and run and run, slamming into walls until she figured out how to jump and bank off of them. Tables, the TV, book shelves, the bed - anything elevated with a surface - was barreled over during her running jags. One day I came home and found her draped over the dining room door. No idea how long she was there. I think she took a leap from a side table (closest to the door) in a blind running frenzy and got stuck.

She did eventually calm down after she was a year old or so. For all of her frenzied activity, she was very attached and affectionate and unafraid of people if I was around.

Enjoy your kitten, OP. I look back at those days very fondly now that she's gone and have great crazy cat stories to tell. It was almost 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1905/14/2013

[quote] I found out that he was only neutered the day before I adopted him. Is that normal?

Boys usually have to stay overnight at the vet after their snipping, while the female cats that actually have major surgery usually come home the same day.

Wusses.

by Anonymousreply 2005/14/2013

r20 that's not true. It's the reverse of that. Boys come home day after, and girls have to stay longer. Pain lasts longer for the female.

My boy cat was still slightly limping from his neutering the day before. However, it only took him 1 day to start hopping around.

by Anonymousreply 2105/14/2013

That's never been my experience, R21. The girls went in first thing and had their surgeries in the AM and came home that evening. The boys also went in early but don't know when they had their snips, and they were kept overnight.

by Anonymousreply 2205/14/2013

U tok my ballz to soon.

Slep wit une eye opn.

by Anonymousreply 2405/14/2013

OP, suck it up as far clipping his claws. He has to get used to you clipping him so there's no point putting it off. Even if the best you can do in one session is one claw, do it. In time, you will finish one paw, two, etc.

You have no chance of hurting him if you clip just the tip. For my adult cats, I clip right below the claw curls. You can aim for that but again, if you want to be extra safe, just clip the tip. As a kitten his claws will grow at a crazy rate. You could probably clip once a week. As adult, you can go 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes I find the pet clippers a little difficult to use with the tiniest kittens. A small nail clipper may be easier to use with the tiny kittens.

Good call by a previous poster about the dangers of plastic bags. I have a plastic bag fiend too and even at nearly 5 years old, she still is only allowed access to plastic when I'm around. If I'm go out, I make sure the bags go back into the kitchen cabinet.

If you're doing so already, also make sure your toilet cover is always down. Little curious kittens have fallen in and drowned because they can't quite make the jump out.

by Anonymousreply 2505/14/2013

Is it a rescue kitten? If not, we're not impressed and don't care.

(so tired of people bragging about their rescue dog)

by Anonymousreply 2605/14/2013

You mean you BOUGHT a kitten today.

You can't "adopt" animals no matter what the animal rights wackos would have you to believe.

You know that little "adoption fee" they hit you up for? That was the price of the cat.

Animals are property, and every law in the U.S. treats them as such.

by Anonymousreply 2705/14/2013

Just a quick warning if your new kitty is active. Watch out for the cords on blinds. I'm R19 with the hyperkinetic kitten. I was folding laundry on my bed once when she launched herself from the bed into the blind cords on the window a couple of feet from the bed. If I hadn't been there, she would have hung herself. Be sure to wrap the cords up and keep high if you don't have the childproof ones.

by Anonymousreply 2805/14/2013

OP, when kitty is curled up on your lap, calm and well-fed, and you're stroking her and she is content, gently squeeze her paws - just a little, and don't clip them - just squeeze them so the claws are exposed - it will help her to get used to the process. Give her treats, too. Let her think a mani/pedi is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 2905/14/2013

An option for the claws is also to put Soft Paws/Soft Claws on the kitty - little sheaths that cover the claw and fall off as the claw grows.

They get used to them quickly, and much more humane than declawing.

by Anonymousreply 3005/14/2013

Posapicha of your new little guy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3105/14/2013

Did your kitten come with a whip?

by Anonymousreply 3205/14/2013

it's Kitten Season.

by Anonymousreply 3305/14/2013

Every time you adopt a shelter animal, an angel gets its wing.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2013

R34 - juzt 1 wing?

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2013

He got his claws clipped last night, thank god! I really couldn't even attempt it because he had his other four paws free, and was able to climb up my chest by digging his claws into my skin. At least now I can attempt to do it. He can't hurt me -- as much. His claws were really long.

I did his chip. My old cat was over 15 years old, which was before chipping was the norm, so this is all new to me.

Managed to get a sample of his stool. Gross. His papers say that he was already de-wormed. I'm bringing it anyway, as the vet asked me too.

Thank god I did what I thought was "over shopping" for him. The cat tree I have is massive. He has every toy known to man. I'd hate to think what he would be doing now if I hadn't had them before I brought him home.

I'm feeding him wet food four times a day. It's one can. It's Wellness for kittens. The litter I was told to get was Cat Attract. I had read that you're suppose to get the same litter they used at the shelter. The woman told me it was no big deal, and of course they gave me a free bag of kitten chow.

He's the cutest thing. He's smaller than my sneaker (12"), which he loves to bite. He sleeps when I leave him alone. All in all, it's been a positive experience, knock wood. I can tell that he's a kitten though!

He won't wear a collar right now. He flipped out when I put one on him. The woman who did the paperwork, made it out to be no big deal, not wearing a collar because he was chipped. I'm not going along with that. I guess I'll put one on him when he gets older.

He looks like a Bengal kitten. I think he's mixed breed, or at least I hope he is. They put down mixed-breed, but he has the Bengal face features. Those cats are huge. My Maine Coon weighed 14 lbs, and that seems to be the average weight of a grown Bengal cat. This cat is suppose to be short-haired, at least at the moment he is. My Maine Coon wasn't, and oh, Christ, the shedding! I wanted a short-haired cat purposely because of that experience.

I picked him out at this beautiful pet store. The shelter brought the kittens down there for people to look at. The store got a "Best of" review in a major magazine. I was a little taken aback by the woman's reaction to my questions. She was so nonchalant about it. You'd think I had entered some ghetto store. You could tell she was a cat person though. She could name vaccinations and tests off the top of her head, and she helped me get wet food, and went through what each contained.

The canned food from Wellness seems to be working well with my kitten. It's suppose to be organic, or something.

I actually considering getting one of those cat strollers. lmao. I'm reluctant now because I don't want him to get used to the outside. I live in the city. I don't want him darting out the door. He's really fast. He seems to be uninterested about people coming in and out at the moment. That's a good sign. He's not trying to run out.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2013

[quote]If you're doing so already, also make sure your toilet cover is always down. Little curious kittens have fallen in and drowned because they can't quite make the jump out.

Yep. That's the first thing I made sure everyone did. I even make sure the door is shut.

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2013

r36 = OP

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2013

[quote]I really couldn't even attempt it because he had his other four paws free

Jesus. I meant three.

by Anonymousreply 3905/15/2013

I'm documenting every injury he gives me.

I got one right up my middle finger yesterday. I think he was trying to tell me something.

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2013

Be very careful with using a collar. If you feel you have to collar him, get the breakaway kind, especially since he's an active kitten.

by Anonymousreply 4105/15/2013

r41, I got a breakaway collar. I knew about that from the start. I can't believe they make any other kind. They had velcro in the store. Why would anyone buy that?

by Anonymousreply 4205/15/2013

That is surprising, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4305/15/2013

My cats are indoor only so I don't bother with collars. They were chipped as a precaution.

by Anonymousreply 4405/15/2013

No way should you be clipping a kitten's nails. Normal wear and tear will keep the nails worn down.

He'll learn when to use them and when not to.

Never "hand play" with a cat (poking, tickling, teasing). Human hands are for stroking, grooming, holding, etc. Use toys (strings, sticks with feathers, balls, etc.) to play with kitten, or he will see your hand as a game and try to bite/scratch it.

by Anonymousreply 4505/15/2013

r45 It's nonsensical to advise OP not to clip his kitten's nails. These are housecats, not feral cats.

OP you do need to trim your kitten's nails. In fact, start early so that it doesn't become a struggle when your kitten is a full grown adult.

by Anonymousreply 4605/15/2013

Indeed you should be clipping the tips of his nails, that's all that is needed.

It is a little sad that you only adopted one kitten, and too young at that, as 12 weeks is a far better age for healthy and appropriate development.

I hope you'll consider getting another kitten so they both have a friend and playmate.

by Anonymousreply 4705/15/2013

r45, that may be true for dogs but not for cats. As someone already pointed out, this is about a housecat. Walking dogs out on pavement may help keep their nails trimmed but that's not going to work for your typical indoor cat. Scratching posts may actually help them sharpen their claws. Since my cats like to knead my skin, I have to keep their claws trimmed. I tip it off right where it starts to hook. They still get to do all their claw-y things, it just doesn't hurt me as much or tear up my furniture.

by Anonymousreply 4905/15/2013

I've found this to be the most favorite of all cat toys. Don't bother buying any kind of feather toy -- it won't last a fortnight. They all prefer this toy to the laser mouse. All I have to do us say "where's the mouse?" and everyone comes running.

by Anonymousreply 5005/15/2013

Took him to the vet yesterday. He cried halfway there. Brought him in, and another woman walked in a few minutes later. I went and held the door for her. Okay, I just have to say it bluntly: many pet owners are batshit crazy. She stuffed her cat in a box, tied it with string, like a stretchy rubber band. You would have thought she was coming in with an old microwave. Then she said, I need to get one of those, pointing to my carrier. Anyway, the cat she had howled the entire time. She had little holes in the box. It looked like it was actually made for cats. It has some sort of cat shuttle cartoon on the side. It was really bizarre. She was really bizarre herself. She lamented her dying cat at home. You could just tell she was off. Funnily enough, she's not the first person I've met like this in pet-related places. My groomer is nice, but off. She got hit in the head years ago. Found out she was a lesbian.

Anyway, a nice-looking vet came in (think Don Lemon) and he looked my kitten over. I handed his stool sample, which came back negative today. The visit cost $67. I have to go back on the 2nd of June for his shots. He has to go back again at the end of June too.

On the way home, he went to sleep in the carrier. He did this same thing when I came home from adopting him. He was all spread out, lounging. I bought a fury little mat for the inside of the carrier. I think that might be helping him to relax.

I went to the pet store after I brought him home. Bought him more crap. I'm spending more on him than myself now. I have to get a box to put all his toys in. My last cat wouldn't play with anything made for cats. This one plays with anything I buy him, toy-related. The only thing he hasn't taken to is Martha Stewart's cat bed. That bitch! Martha, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 5105/16/2013

[quote]I hope you'll consider getting another kitten so they both have a friend and playmate.

Honestly, at this point I couldn't take another one. This little guy is wearing me out - in a good way, but still.

Is it true that you're not suppose to give them any food with fish in it? I was told from the woman who did the adoption how dangerous it was to give it to them, as it gives them issues later on. When I went to the pet store yesterday, almost everything contained fish oil, fish meal, salmon meal.

by Anonymousreply 5205/16/2013

Your kitty won't wear you out so much if he has a playmate. Also, if you work, he will have company when you are gone. If he sleeps all day because he has no stimulation, he will be awake all night wanting to play.

by Anonymousreply 5305/16/2013

r53, I'm home in the afternoon. We play. We play in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. He wears himself out. He's not sleeping because he's bored. Trust me. He has every toy known to man, and he's using every one of them. He's got a massive cat tree as well. I don't play with him after 7PM, as I don't want him to stay up, wanting to play more. He did that the second night I had him. He sleeps through the night. He's really not a lot of trouble, but you know he's a kitten. He's a major suck up already.

by Anonymousreply 5405/16/2013

"Bought him more crap. I'm spending more on him than myself now."

I got my annual physical yesterday and the doc suggested I see a cardiologist because he detected a murmur (mitral valve prolapse). He said it's usually not a big deal but he thought a word with a cardiologist would be a good idea (i've been suffering dizzy spells for about a year). My reaction? Geez, doc, I'm paying 100% out of pocket for health care, do I really do need to see a cardio?

Four years ago when I adopted one of my cats, she panted a few times. The vet recommended a vet cardiologist for my kitten. One visit and $500 later, my kitten gets a clean bill of health on her ticker.

You're right, we cat slaves are kinda off.

by Anonymousreply 5505/16/2013

Anyone have any opinions of pet insurance? Do any of them pay dental?

Worth it? Which one?

by Anonymousreply 5605/16/2013

I think it's okay if the canned food has some fish ingredients (unless a vet expressly orders no fish ingredients at all due to a health issue) for most cats as long as it's not the main ingredient. So stick to land protein foods rather than the ones with fish as the primary protein.

by Anonymousreply 5705/16/2013

Have you posted a picture of your kitten, OP?

I have not read all 57 posts.

by Anonymousreply 5805/16/2013

DE-CLAW and keep the cat inside. You'll thank yourself for it in years to come and the cat won't remember the operation.

by Anonymousreply 5905/16/2013

R20 - you are fucking insane, wuss.

by Anonymousreply 6005/16/2013

Why do cats love fish so much? I've never seen a cat out fishing along a riverbank or on the side of a stream, like bears. But they love fish.

by Anonymousreply 6105/16/2013

Fish are fishy...?

My cats love bonito flakes and will eat bits of tuna but they're not particularly enamoured with fish.

Ignore the idiotic advice on declawing.

by Anonymousreply 6205/16/2013

Cats love ANY food. Don't get so initiated about the fish theory, r61.

by Anonymousreply 6305/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.